NotQuiteMyself: 23 Years of anti-depressants and sleeping tablets for anxiety and insomnia

NotQuiteMyself

Ok, good to know. It sounds like you've definitely determined it was WD symptoms, since symptoms resolved after your dose.

I'm sorry to hear you're still dealing with debilitating waves, but it sounds like you're getting some good days, so I hope this is reassuring for you :) 

The symptoms you experienced with that missed dose, do you get them at other times, or is this the first time with these particular symptoms?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

26 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

The symptoms you experienced with that missed dose, do you get them at other times, or is this the first time with these particular symptoms?

First time. I thought I’d already seen it all 😢

Uninterrupted Use of ADs from 2000 to 12 August 2022*

2000-2007 paroxeteine (Seroxat/Paxil); zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg.

2006-7 slow taper from paroxeteine of 18 months. *AD-free for 3 weeks.

2007-2018 trimipramine (tricyclic AD), accelerated taper due to unavailability of drug, last dose January 2018. 

2018 mirtazapine (Remeron) for 2 weeks, discontinued and took amitriptyline (tricyclic)for 2 weeks. Cross-tapered to:

2018-19 escitalopram (Lexapro). Zopiclone increased to 7.5mg.

2019 -2022 Venlafaxine (Effexor) reaching 75mg April 2019 having cross-tapered from escitalopram after a year. Began tapering off venlafaxine Sep2020. 56mg (9 Sep 2020); 37.5mg (Jan2021); 28mg (Aug 2021); 19mg (Feb2022); 9mg (Jul2022); final dose 12 Aug2022. Uninterrupted and continuing use of zopiclone 7.5mg. (Omeprazole (antacid) introduced January 2021 - now used if and when needed).

“Z drug” Use  Uninterrupted use 2000-present (still using) Zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg 2000-2018 and 7.5mg 2018-present

Currently AD-free for one year, as of 12 August 2022, taking 7.5mg zopiclone nightly and occasional antacid Omeprazole.

I know, this journey isn't an easy one is it?!

But, I'm glad you don't get these symptoms at other times. Good indicator that you are likely not having interdose withdrawal. 

Let us know when you're ready to taper and we'll do our best to answer your questions :) 

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Thank you, LotusRising.

I'm hopping mad today. I had made an appointment with my GP for a medication review, my next one is due by 31st December.

I was rung by the pharmacist. She seemed mystified as to why I was requesting a review - on one occasion in the past they refused to prescribe me my usual tablets because my review was late! Anyway I explained that I am looking to begin a slow taper from Zopiclone and that I would like to change my prescription - at the moment I am prescribed 28x 7.5mg for a month and I take one tablet every night. I explained that I would like to receive 56x3.75 tablets for a month because I want to taper down by very small amounts at a time and having low-dose tablets will make it easier for me to do the taper. I had to explain this three times. After a silence she told me that they "don't do it that way" and why don't I alternate nights of taking 7.5 and 3.75?! I very calmly explained that I didn't think it would be good for me to to take inconsistent doses and reminded her that I had been on Zopiclone every night for nearly twenty-five years (not ten days). She then said: "Well, why don't you try taking 7.5 in the week and 3.75 at the weekend"! Can you credit it? I was speechless at first and then told her that would make me ill and further imperil my central nervous system which is already in a mess from WD from the 5 different ADs they had prescribed me over the years. "Well I'll have to ask a doctor and ring you back, but it may not be today as they're very busy, and anyway, we don't do it like that". They're very busy are they? WELL PARDON ME! If they hadn't prescribed this stuff without appropriate guidance and told me every time I managed to withdraw from a drug that the withdrawal was the return of my original symptoms then I might not be in this situation. And if they had told me 25 years ago when I went to them with debilitating insomnia that I could try a tiny bit of tablet in an emergency rather than 3.75mg every night forever, then maybe I could have lived a very different life!!

So sorry, but I can't believe they're still trotting out this advice and treating like idiots people who are doing their best to heal themselves because the NHS aren't interested. Withdrawal effects and slow tapering has been all over the media in recent times. This pharmacist has clearly been living in a hole in the ground.

I am beyond scandalised. This problem is gigantic and it still isn't going away. This experience really shook me and has set me back when I was feeling positive with how far I've come.

I know I'm coming across as angry here, but I truly wasn't on the phone, I was patient and polite. Oh, and she never rang me back.

2007-2018 trimipramine (tricyclic AD), accelerated taper due to unavailability of drug, last dose January 2018. 

2018 mirtazapine (Remeron) for 2 weeks, discontinued and took amitriptyline (tricyclic)for 2 weeks. Cross-tapered to:

2019 -2022 Venlafaxine (Effexor) reaching 75mg April 2019 having cross-tapered from escitalopram after a year. Began tapering off venlafaxine Sep2020. 56mg (9 Sep 2020); 37.5mg (Jan2021); 28mg (Aug 2021); 19mg (Feb2022); 9mg (Jul2022); final dose 12 Aug2022. Uninterrupted and continuing use of zopiclone 7.5mg. (Omeprazole (antacid) introduced January 2021 - now used if and when needed).

“Z drug” Use  Uninterrupted use 2000-present (still using) Zopiclone (Imovane) 3.75mg 2000-2018 and 7.5mg 2018-present

Currently AD-free for one year, as of 12 August 2022, taking 7.5mg zopiclone nightly and occasional antacid Omeprazole.

• 3 months later...

Just read your post above. I am not at all surprised by your anger. Will the Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines help in your battle with the GP who “doesn’t do it like that”? I hope so. I’m glad you got off the ADs at least and hope that is going well. I too have suffered greatly from having WD diagnosed as relapse. Wishing you well, Koala

None of my posts are medical advice, just my own experience. Please see your doctor for any medical advice.

Overview of drug history:

1991: Prothiaden short stint; 2000 - 2003(?): Nefazodone then paroxetine

2005(?) to 2023: Escitalopram 10mg (with breaks and attempted breaks - see further below)

October 2023: Escitalopram 5mg

More recent experience quitting escitalopram:

Late 2019 - tapered over about 6 weeks - 6 weeks later reinstatement (full dose) taking about 3 weeks to stabilise

Late 2021 - tapered over several months to 2mg - held there and then fairly quickly off - 3 months later reinstatement (full dose) taking about 6-8 weeks to stabilise.

2023 - tapered over several months to 1mg then jumped to 0mg on 12 August 2023.September 2023: saw "The Antidepressant Story" and found SA website.

29/9 - reinstatement at 2mg; 10/10 - 5mg; 5/12- 6mg; 11 January 2024 - 10mg; 16 January - 8mg

Also - just noticed that in one post you mentioned sleep apnea being an issue when you do sleep. I have obstructive sleep apnea. I left it untreated until WD insomnia kicked in and I decided I need as much from each hour of sleep as possible and I did not need to be woken by sleep apnea as well as nerves. CPAP therapy has dealt with the apnea. At least that’s one issue I can tick off. Could be worth a thought?

None of my posts are medical advice, just my own experience. Please see your doctor for any medical advice.

Overview of drug history:

1991: Prothiaden short stint; 2000 - 2003(?): Nefazodone then paroxetine

2005(?) to 2023: Escitalopram 10mg (with breaks and attempted breaks - see further below)

October 2023: Escitalopram 5mg

More recent experience quitting escitalopram:

Late 2019 - tapered over about 6 weeks - 6 weeks later reinstatement (full dose) taking about 3 weeks to stabilise

Late 2021 - tapered over several months to 2mg - held there and then fairly quickly off - 3 months later reinstatement (full dose) taking about 6-8 weeks to stabilise.

2023 - tapered over several months to 1mg then jumped to 0mg on 12 August 2023.September 2023: saw "The Antidepressant Story" and found SA website.

29/9 - reinstatement at 2mg; 10/10 - 5mg; 5/12- 6mg; 11 January 2024 - 10mg; 16 January - 8mg

Hi Koala.

Many thanks for your reply.

I see we’ve both experienced paroxeteine and escitalopram. So sorry you’re still working on the taper from escitalopram. I had to cross to Venlafaxine after that, but ven is not a pleasant drug either.

I’ve been AD free for 18 months. It’s great to be free of it and many of the WD effects have fallen away, but insomnia and an inability to cope with stress of any kind is still with me.

I now have my lower-dose Zopiclone, but current stresses and monstrous insomnia mean I’m nowhere near ready to begin a taper. Thank you for the suggestion of the Maudsley guidelines. This gp asked me if it was worth withdrawing and why didn’t I just stay on Zopiclone. Nothing like encouragement and support, eh?

I have mild sleep apnoea and have an appointment to address it in May. I also feel I need to wring every minute of sleep out of my night, but the last three nights have given me 4 hours each, so I’m not sure how I’ll react to a facial contraption! To be honest, I’ll try anything.

Best of luck with your taper. What a long road you’ve travelled.