SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 September ×

RebekahJoy: Weigh or dissolve tablets? Which is better?

RebekahJoy

Hi there, 

I'm planning ahead for my taper from Sertaline (previous 3.5 year hell from venlaflaxine) 

I'm just wondering what peoples views were on shaving/weighing tablets VS dissolving in water and reducing??? 

Which is more accurate and less time consuming? 

Thanks 

RebekahJoy

1.5 years venlaflaxine 

3.5 years tapering off

2023-present

Sertaline 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

2015 venlaflaxine 37.5mg

2017 started taper cutting tablets

2018 started liquid venlaflaxine 

2020 last dose of venlaflaxine apx 0.25mg

2022 sertraline 50mg

2023 sertraline 75mg 

• Emonda changed the title to RebekahJoy: Weigh or dissolve tablets? Which is better?
  • Administrator

Hi @RebekahJoy,

Welcome to S.A. 

I appreciate you included your drug history in your post, but could you please follow these instructions to set up your drug signature. That way, your drug history will appear at the bottom of each of your posts, making it easier for those who try to assist.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:28 AM, RebekahJoy said:

shaving/weighing tablets VS dissolving in water and reducing??? 

Which is more accurate and less time consuming? 

Personally, I make my own liquid. It doesn't take long and will be beneficial at very small doses. Can you buy liquid Sertaline where you are located? That'd be easier than making your own....you just need to read up on transitioning from tablets to liquid. There is info on this site regarding that.

I know others here use a gemini-20 scale, which you can buy on eBay. People seem to speak highly of it...but I have no experience with it.

The following link may be beneficial for you: 

Sing out with any questions.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 8 Feb 2.19mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 2 May 1.83mg, 13 Jun 1.69mg, 25 Jul 1.50mg, 14 Aug 1.46mg

Thanks so much, I've changed my signature. Hopefully it's correct. 

I believe the liquid is available but I'd rather do it by myself if possible as being persribed the liquid venlaflaxine for years lead to alot of anxiety around whether my GP would stop it because of the high cost. 

My thinking was to maybe do the larger first few drops using the scales then move to liquid as I get lower. 

I thought I'd be OK shaving amounts off the tablet, weighing and making up a few weeks batch. 

But did read somewhere about crushing the whole tablet and putting into capsules which sounds like a pain in the backside! 😂 

It would be great to hear about both options. 

2015 venlaflaxine 37.5mg

2017 started taper cutting tablets

2018 started liquid venlaflaxine 

2020 last dose of venlaflaxine apx 0.25mg

2022 sertraline 50mg

2023 sertraline 75mg 

• Administrator

Thanks for attending to your signature; much appreciated, RebekahJoy.

13 hours ago, RebekahJoy said:

being persribed the liquid venlaflaxine for years lead to alot of anxiety around whether my GP would stop it because of the high cost. 

I've never purchased the liquid....I can't believe they charge more for that...or maybe I shouldn't be surprised!

13 hours ago, RebekahJoy said:

I thought I'd be OK shaving amounts off the tablet, weighing and making up a few weeks batch. 

But did read somewhere about crushing the whole tablet and putting into capsules which sounds like a pain in the backside! 😂 

For my DIY liquid, I crush a pill between two spoons, pulverise it into tiny pieces, use a small funnel to get it into a 20ml syringe, add 10ml of water, shake vigorously for a while, and then remove what needs to be removed for the taper with a 0.5ml syringe. Two minutes, and I'm done. I do note that not all AD tablets should be crushed like this.

Have a look around the site, especially in the tapering section, use the search function, and you'll be able to read the experiences of others.

Good luck with it...Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 8 Feb 2.19mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 2 May 1.83mg, 13 Jun 1.69mg, 25 Jul 1.50mg, 14 Aug 1.46mg