MFo2000: Feel stuck on Effexor

MFo2000

Hello all,

I'm currently stuck in Effexor side effect hell ever since I decided to take a higher dose of 75 mg a few months ago. Took the dose for almost a month and felt awful, so my psychiatrist decided to taper off entirely with Prozac, it failed badly and I ended up in the hospital with suicidal thoughts and extreme anxiety. I didn't even stop taking it, I was on 37.5 mg (immediate release). They decided to up my dose to 150 mg in the psych ward, couldn't do anything but comply.

Got sent home, felt alright for a few days but the side effects have come back. Feel horribly restless, anxious, agoraphobic, and what have you. Have had some panic attacks as well. I've become non functional. Is it too late to revert to a lower dose? I've been on this dose for a bit more than 2 weeks at this point and have been in and out of my psychiatrist more than I can count lately, so she probably doesn't want to see me anytime soon. What should I do?

I'm also taking Risperidone (they started giving it to me in the hospital) and got my psych to give me 0.25 mg of Xanax in case of any panic attacks if that means anything.

August 2018: started Effexor 37.5 mg (IR)

September 2023: increased to 75 mg (XR)

October 2023: tried to taper off 75 mg Effexor with Prozac and crashed, was hospitalized 10/1 to 10/6, dose increased to 150 mg, given risperidone 1mg during the day and 2mg at night, decreased to 0.5 mg and 1mg respectively on 10/23. Also given 0.25 mg Xanax as needed

November 2023: decreased risperidone to 0.25 mg twice a day 11/28

January 2024: off risperidone entirely 1/8

February 2024: decreased venlafaxine to 100 mg (IR) 2/2

• MFo2000 changed the title to MFo2000: Feel stuck on Effexor
  • Administrator

Welcome, @MFo2000

What date was it that your Effexor dosage was increased to 150mg and risperidone added?

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? 

It appears your psychiatrist knows nothing about adverse drug effects, tapering, or withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, this is not unusual. Please be aware that if you go to the hospital for psychiatric care, it's very likely you'll come out on a boatload of drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata,

I think October 4 was the day I started taking 150 mg? They first reinstated 75 mg, then increased the dose to 112.5 mg for one day, then finished at 150 mg.

I take 150 mg at 8-9 am usually, and take risperidone in the day with Effexor and at night alone.

Yes, my psych insists my mental state is to blame rather than the drug. Ignoring the fact that I was fine on 37.5 mg for years before taking 75 mg at her insistence...

Is it too late to revert back to a lower dose? On 112.5 mg I felt fine albeit that was only for one day. I tried tapering on 75 mg after only a month but that gave me horrible psychological symptoms.

October 2023: tried to taper off 75 mg Effexor with Prozac and crashed, was hospitalized 10/1 to 10/6, dose increased to 150 mg, given risperidone 1mg during the day and 2mg at night, decreased to 0.5 mg and 1mg respectively on 10/23. Also given 0.25 mg Xanax as needed

• Administrator
7 hours ago, MFo2000 said:

I think October 4 was the day I started taking 150 mg? They first reinstated 75 mg, then increased the dose to 112.5 mg for one day, then finished at 150 mg.

Withdrawal risk is considered to increase after a month on the dose. You might try a fast taper from 150mg, with a 37.5mg reduction first, another 37.5mg reduction a week later.

Did you also start risperidone October 4? What effects do you feel from it?

Please update your signature with the Effexor and risperidone dates of start and increase.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Altostrata,

Sorry for the late reply as I've been a bit busy with things. I'm now 3 weeks into the dose and I meet with my psych on Monday and I wonder if I should continue at this dose. My anxiety and restlessness is slowly lessening but I still feel a bit weird if that makes any sense. I don't want to continue at this dose only for it to not work for me.

I started risperidone around the same time as the dose increase. Don't know exactly when though. My memory is a bit fuzzy. Can't tell what effects are from the risperidone or the Effexor to be honest.

• Administrator

Please update your signature with the Effexor and risperidone dates of start and increase.

6 hours ago, MFo2000 said:

My anxiety and restlessness is slowly lessening but I still feel a bit weird if that makes any sense.

You're taking 2 drugs, one an antipsychotic, of course you feel a bit weird.

Since you're following your psychiatrist's instructions, you'll have to ask them what to do next. FYI very likely it will be to increase or add a drug. Very few psychiatrists know anything about withdrawal or tapering.

Yes, I have updated it.

I thought I was getting better but it doesn't seem like I am, I'm only getting more agoraphobic and anxious seemingly.

I don't really like my psychiatrist or anything since she seems to have nothing but contempt for me but I follow her instructions since I don't know how to taper on my own.

I know if I bring up to decrease the dose I'll only be ignored and I'll get another lecture on what anxiety is and how I need therapy, as if therapy can solve this somehow.

• Administrator
On 10/21/2023 at 5:46 AM, MFo2000 said:

I think October 4 was the day I started taking 150 mg?

You started risperidone at the same time?

On 10/21/2023 at 5:46 AM, MFo2000 said:

I take 150 mg at 8-9 am usually, and take risperidone in the day with Effexor and at night alone.

What times o'clock do you take each of dose your drugs, with their dosages? 

Why do you take risperidone twice a day?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You started risperidone at the same time?

Yes, around the same time, I think a day earlier.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

What times o'clock do you take each of dose your drugs, with their dosages? 

Why do you take risperidone twice a day?

I take my morning Effexor and risperidone at 8-9 am usually, and my nightly risperidone at 9 pm. I don't know why they gave it to me twice a day, that's just how they prescribed it to me in the hospital.

Also the Xanax does nothing for me, maybe because the dosage is too low?

• Administrator
11 hours ago, MFo2000 said:

Also the Xanax does nothing for me, maybe because the dosage is too low?

What Xanax? This doesn't appear in your signature or daily drug schedule.

Oh sorry, I went ahead and updated it.

I've been on this dose for almost 4 weeks and the mental anxiety is still there (physical not so much but it's present), is it breakthrough anxiety and the medication has pooped out on me? Is it kindling maybe? I tried tapering from 75 mg for 4 days and crashed before reinstating and then increasing so it can't be that right?

I'm just so frustrated and looking for advice, any is appreciated.

• Administrator

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages, including Xanax? Do you take Xanax every day? If so, how long have you been taking Xanax every day?

Xanax is solely as needed. They instructed me it was reserved for severe anxiety and I only took it twice last week.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, MFo2000 said:

the mental anxiety is still there (physical not so much but it's present)

Has physical anxiety gone away? How has your symptom pattern changed since you started 150mg Effexor etc. in the hospital?

Please put the date of your hospitalization in your signature. 

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and any significant symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can help identify symptoms that are adverse effects from one or more of your drugs.

12 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Has physical anxiety gone away?

Hmm kinda? I don't feel it intensely but I feel dizziness or lightheadedness when I get anxious and it makes me panic (not panic attack) and want to retreat to a "safe" zone.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How has your symptom pattern changed since you started 150mg Effexor etc. in the hospital?

It's been all over the place. I've had days where I feel low grade anxiety pretty much everywhere and then days where I feel great at home but anxious everywhere else. I even had a panic attack one day a few weeks ago. I also had weeks of bad agitation but that has gone away now.

As for the rest, will do and post here.

I updated my signature and also put date of risperidone decrease.

I suspect (but not positive) the reason they put me on risperidone in the hospital is that I reported feeling paranoid about things not being real while in my mental breakdown, one of several lovely side effects I had on 75 mg, and they interpreted this as possible psychosis.

Let me try to summarize yesterday as best as possible.

8:00 am I felt calm upon waking up.

9:45 am I took Effexor and risperidone.

11:15 am I drove to my psychologist with some anxiety but not a huge amount.

1:00 pm I drove back home and experienced an anxiety attack at a particular intersection.

4:00 pm I tried to walk to one of my classes but couldn't because I felt dizzy and anxious (fortunately professor wasn't there)

6:30 pm I experience an anxiety attack while cooking with my parents.

8:00 pm We watch a movie, I was experiencing anxiety the whole time while watching it

9:00 pm I took risperidone and Benadryl

10:00 pm We go to sleep, I sleep fine

8:30 am I wake up and we make breakfast, I feel calm again, I take Effexor and risperidone

• Administrator

Why do you take Effexor and risperidone together in the morning?  

Please put ALL your current daily drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Why do you take Effexor and risperidone together in the morning?  

That's how I was directed to take it.

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please put ALL your current daily drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2296-1523,2019-1305

• Administrator

Please include the dosage of each dose in your daily notes.

decreased to 0.5 mg and 1mg respectively on 10/23

You decreased yourrisperidone doses about 9 days ago. How has your symptom pattern changed since?

Oh right sorry, I take 0.5 mg of risperidone in the morning and 1 mg of risperidone at night. I used to take 1 mg in the morning and 2 mg at night but my psychiatrist reduced it because she thought I might have been experiencing akathisia (but in all likelihood I think it was plain agitation caused by Effexor).

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You decreased yourrisperidone doses about 9 days ago. How has your symptom pattern changed since?

It's hard to tell really, I think I slowly become more anxious as the day goes by for some reason. A week ago I was experiencing agoraphobia but felt fine at home. It's hard to tell what is causing which side effects when you're on a cocktail of drugs like me.

• Administrator

Please continue with daily notes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again.

Sorry for not posting in a while but I think now I've stabilized, albeit I don't feel good at all.

I don't know if it's the Effexor or the risperidone but I feel terrible anhedonia. I don't enjoy music or movies or anything. I have no libido either, although this has been with me since I had my dose upped to 150 mg or around there, while this general anhedonia I feel only developed in the last few weeks or so.

My anxiety only improved to a point, but it's not as effective at treating it as 37.5 mg was.

I'm getting off risperidone immediately to see if my emotions return because this has become unbearable. If it's Effexor then I guess I don't know what I'll do, I've tried before and it's impossible to stop.

In the past 24 hours I've gone from feeling little emotion to feeling no emotion at all. This is the most surreal and terrifying thing I've ever experienced. Oh god, please help me...

• Mentor
1 minute ago, MFo2000 said:

In the past 24 hours I've gone from feeling little emotion to feeling no emotion at all. This is the most surreal and terrifying thing I've ever experienced. Oh god, please help me...

I'm so sorry you're experiencing no emotion @MFo2000.  That can be tough to deal with.  There is a topic thread that discusses that symptom (included below), and I hope it will help you.  Please don't allow your fear to overtake you.  You're going to be okay.  I will include another thread that helps with that as well.  Please continue to keep us updated on how you're doing, okay? 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2873-apathy-anhedonia-emotional-numbness-emotional-anesthesia/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/5213-sudden-fear-terror-panic-anxiety-or-sensory-overload-from-withdrawal/

Hang in there!

Catina ❤️  

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)  |   5/1:  (-21 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Hello Catina, thank you for your interest.

Yes, this is a new really terrifying symptom that just seemed to come out of nowhere over the past few days and I'm at a loss as to what to do, it feels like hell. I have no idea if it's the risperidone or Effexor causing it, although I feel like just stopping risperidone already because my gut feeling tells me it's the risperidone causing it and it's an antipsychotic anyway which I don't need. 

What really scares me is people that say it continues for months or even years after discontinuing risperidone. One day of this already feels like the worst punishment God has in his arsenal, I can't imagine going through months or years of this.

Good luck with your journey. 

Venlafaxine is a pesky drug. 

Risperidone?  Antipsychotic at higher doses.   At low doses is supposed to "enhance" the antidepressant but who really knows?- it didn't work for me but we're all different. 

Horrible to be in hospital. 

I hope the circumstances that led you onto these drugs has improved.  

Whatever you're going through will pass... 

Good forum, good people.  Hang on in there. 

Various ADs from 1991, always for depression with anxiety and agitation... sertraline, paroxetine, citalopram (with 2.5mg olanzapine briefly), coming off each for increasingly shorter times until 2000 when I went on meds full time with Clomipramine 200mg. Then Venlafaxine (XR) since 2008, initially 225mg, then 300mg, plus tried on venlafaxine with mirtazapine (California Rocket) for only a week in 2017(?) as absolutely intolerable. 

July '23 Venlafaxine XL 300 to 275mg.  Aug '23 275 to 250mg. Sept/Oct '23 250 to 230 to 225mg.  Nov '23 205mg. Dec '23 185mg.  28 Dec '23 reinstated 225mg after crashing. 

Supplements: Vitamin D and fish oil. 

"L'exposition du merde est temporaries".

Although I have a background in health, I am here to learn from others, encourage others and share my experiences, not to give professional guidance. 

I'm only taking 0.5-1 mg of risperidone, could that be the cause of the emotional numbness? Or is it the venlafaxine? I had my dose upped to 150 mg and prescribed risperidone at the same time, and I only started feeling like this a few days ago, and it became severe today.

It seems like my psychiatrist (who I don't like very much) officially has no idea what to do with me anymore. I feel like a basket case.

At the very least they complied with my request to lower the risperidone dose...

So I've decided to wean off the risperidone, now I'm down to 0.25 mg day and night. In a week when I see my psych again I'm gonna tell them I want to quit entirely.

I'm also gonna start tapering Effexor at some point when I'm off the risperidone, though I'm not sure how. I've toyed with counting beads and I've already wasted 2 pills that way. It seems like an arduous task. My psych mentioned something about a compounding pharmacy and that seems easier although potentially costly.

• Mentor
7 minutes ago, MFo2000 said:

So I've decided to wean off the risperidone, now I'm down to 0.25 mg day and night. In a week when I see my psych again I'm gonna tell them I want to quit entirely.

I'm also gonna start tapering Effexor at some point when I'm off the risperidone, though I'm not sure how. I've toyed with counting beads and I've already wasted 2 pills that way. It seems like an arduous task. My psych mentioned something about a compounding pharmacy and that seems easier although potentially costly.

Here's a link with tapering instructions for Effexor:  Tips for Tapering off Effexor

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)  |   5/1:  (-21 beads)

How do I count the beads without them flying everywhere?

I might get a pocket scale for tapering and do it that way. Maybe start by tapering 10mg each month since I'm at 150mg.

One thing I've noticed in the midst of this severe emotional numbness is that once in a while I get a brief slight pang of what seems like emotion? Yesterday I was watching a movie with my mom and felt what seemed like laughter try to bubble to the surface but not quite make it.

Also, I felt brief but somewhat intense feelings of anxiety at various points throughout the night (I couldn't sleep due to insomnia). 

Does this mean there's some hope of recovering my emotional capacity?

I'm just so desperate and no one believes me, not my parents or the psych. Even two days ago I wasn't feeling like this.

• Mentor
24 minutes ago, MFo2000 said:

How do I count the beads without them flying everywhere?

I might get a pocket scale for tapering and do it that way. Maybe start by tapering 10mg each month since I'm at 150mg.

You would want to get a black or dark-colored t-shirt and lay it flat on a table or desk.  It will not only prevent the beads from going everywhere, but you'll be able to see them better against the dark fabric.