SwedishDespair: My (shortened) history

SwedishDespair

Hi forum. Despite a very (in perspective) light 'load' of pharmaceuticals, I'm very burdened by them. I've read here about people on so many drugs, that seem better off than me.

In 1999 I got switched to Seroxat/Paxil, after trying on/off Cipramil initially. My initial diagnose was panic attacks.

I never questioned the drugs, they were just there.

In reality, my life had taken a turn downwards, and it has just kept going.

Spiralling from one crash to another, from one diagnose to another.

If you have read horror stories of Seroxat/Paxil, I have lived through most of them, it seems.

And it adds up, and now I'm living with the knowledge of what they did to me.

I'm male, closing in on 50 years old, tall in stature, and physically largely unscaved.

But oh so very weak, (or sad, or lonely, or frightened, or overwhelmed)

I tried a slow taper about 10 years ago, it led to a crash of enormous proportions, I will not be able to come off.

(I'm not even fully sure I want to live with the aftermath that the pills has given me unwantingly)

There are very little resources in Sweden, where I live. And iatrogenic harm does basicly not include SSRI. Denial.

I'm here to find ways to cope.

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Diagnosed Panic Attacks around 1998.

Cipramil initially.

Seroxat/Paxil 40mg/day from 1999 - - -> 2014

(1 short test of Effexor around 2008, unsuccessful taper around 2014)

2015 - - - > 2022: 25mg/day Seroxat/Paxil

2023: upped dose to 30mg/day Seroxat/Paxil to cope.

• Emonda changed the title to SwedishDespair: My (shortened) history
  • Administrator

Welcome to S.A. @SwedishDespair

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with ADs and tapering. We all know how that feels here.

1 hour ago, SwedishDespair said:

If you have read horror stories of Seroxat/Paxil, I have lived through most of them, it seems.

I've never taken Paxil (Paroxetine), but I've certainly read about it and the challenges of tapering from it. It can, however, be done very slowly if that is your goal.

I tried a slow taper about 10 years ago, it led to a crash of enormous proportions,

I'd be curious to see the timeline of your slow taper. Are we talking slowly, as in a maximum reduction of 10% per month of the most recent dose? That's the approach taken at S.A. Why taper by 10% of my dosage? I go slightly slower, 2% per week for four weeks, followed by a two-week hold. 

I will not be able to come off.

I felt that for a very long time (I've been taking ADs for > 27 years). I stumbled across this community, learnt about the maximum 10% taper, followed it, and now I've reduced my dose by 82%. I never dreamt that was possible. So, it is possible to taper from these pills if you do it very slowly. You must be patient. Check out some of the success stories.

sad, or lonely, or frightened, or overwhelmed

Have a read of these non-drug coping strategies to help you on your journey. I also find it very helpful to often reflect on the WD symptom checklist. At least when you feel rotten, you can reflect on the checklist and remind yourself that it's not you, it's the pills.

The following link may be beneficial: Windows and waves pattern of stabilization.

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Avoid alcohol. 

Please post any updates here in your thread. It is helpful to keep everything related to your journey in one spot. You are very welcome to jump onto someone else's page and interact with them. The encouragement members give each other on this site is wonderful to see.

Sing out with any questions. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda.

Edited by Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May  1.83mg,

5 hours ago, Emonda said:

Welcome to S.A. @SwedishDespair

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with ADs and tapering. We all know how that feels here.

I've never taken Paxil (Paroxetine), but I've certainly read about it and the challenges of tapering from it. It can, however, be done very slowly if that is your goal.

I'd be curious to see the timeline of your slow taper. Are we talking slowly, as in a maximum reduction of 10% per month of the most recent dose? That's the approach taken at S.A. Why taper by 10% of my dosage? I go slightly slower, 2% per week for four weeks, followed by a two-week hold. 

I felt that for a very long time (I've been taking ADs for > 27 years). I stumbled across this community, learnt about the maximum 10% taper, followed it, and now I've reduced my dose by 82%. I never dreamt that was possible. So, it is possible to taper from these pills if you do it very slowly. You must be patient. Check out some of the success stories.

Have a read of these non-drug coping strategies to help you on your journey. I also find it very helpful to often reflect on the WD symptom checklist. At least when you feel rotten, you can reflect on the checklist and remind yourself that it's not you, it's the pills.

The following link may be beneficial: Windows and waves pattern of stabilization.

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Avoid alcohol. 

Please post any updates here in your thread. It is helpful to keep everything related to your journey in one spot. You are very welcome to jump onto someone else's page and interact with them. The encouragement members give each other on this site is wonderful to see.

Sing out with any questions. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda.

Thank you Emonda. I especially thank you for the links, it is much appreciated. Any information about my condition

feels like a life line, since I'm awfully alone, and simply not strong enough to deal with this.

(I don't talk down on myself, I just state facts, there is no 'inner strength' left with me)

My taper was done with extreme caution, and based off the 10%-idea.

My timeline was just about 2 years, and that meant that I had reduced about 75% (from 40mg to 10mg) when I crashed.

I'm very open to supplements, nowadays, after having good results with 'keto' diets.

I've been sober since 2008!

I might start a new thread concerning my current, and somewhat concerning issue, that I seem to need to up my dose recently.

Cipramil initially.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, SwedishDespair said:

Any information about my condition feels like a life line, since I'm awfully alone,

You're not alone at S.A., @SwedishDespair. Plenty of us are in the same boat.

My taper was done with extreme caution, and based off the 10%-idea.

Sounds nice and slow. The reality is, that some of us need to go even slower. Have a look at the brassmonkey micro taper.

I've read of another member here taking the same AD,  that has dropped maybe 10% in 6 months, based on how they feel / WD symptoms.

You need to listen to your body when you taper and adjust accordingly.

when I crashed.

Did you notice an uptick in symptoms at all prior to this? Anything change in your life?

I've been sober since 2008!

Good to hear. I've read that one drink can trigger people. I went dry maybe 6 months ago...not that I drank much start with.

I might start a new thread concerning my current, and somewhat concerning issue, that I seem to need to up my dose recently.

No need to start a new thread....keep everything relating to yourself here.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May  1.83mg,

@Emonda

You're not alone at S.A., @SwedishDespair. Plenty of us are in the same boat.

I certainly understand that, I've been on the sidelines of this topic for many years.

You need to listen to your body when you taper and adjust accordingly.

Unfortunately, trying to get off is just not possible for me, for me it's about trying to cope, and at the lowest level possible of dose.

Did you notice an uptick in symptoms at all prior to this? Anything change in your life?

It was revelation after revelation, so many things, I could re-evaluate and understand myself again. Emotions of all kinds. Energy. Thoughtprocess.

Almost too many to describe, I made realizations about the tiniest details, sleep patterns, memory, sound and sight 'epiphanies'.

Sexuality too, of course. These pills are the most sedious way of numbing a human, it is an outright crime of human rights.

Good to hear. I've read that one drink can trigger people. I went dry maybe 6 months ago...not that I drank much start with.

I stopped drinking long before I knew anything about 'the hidden sides of Seroxat/Paxil/SSRI', I used alcohol, unknowingly, to get some emotions back.

At a low level of intake, alcohol mimics being able to feel, laugh and socialize.

I was so oblivious, and drank way too much, my prescribing doctor had told me "these pills ar OK to drink on, unlike the previous generation of AD's, so these pills are suited for younger people

who still want to go to clubs.."

I had to find out why he said that to me, he was a senior head psychiatrist, but he'd passed away recently back then.

So I went to our  capital Stockholm, at the state library, where they keep a copy of each book, to find the swedish government backed 'prescribers handbook' from 1999

and it clearly stated that drinking was OK, infact I copied the quote: "Seroxat/Paxil does not potentiate alcohol"

I even researched where that statement came from, and it turned out that only 1 trial had been done, and it was down right fraud to conclude as they did.

You see, I was the type of person who listened to my doctor, and believed them.

No need to start a new thread....keep everything relating to yourself here.

Well, since my topic is perhaps more rare on this forum, to stay on or even raise my dose, I'm uncertain I will reach many who might have

experience on this?

Cipramil initially.

• Administrator
On 10/26/2023 at 5:20 PM, SwedishDespair said:

Unfortunately, trying to get off is just not possible for me, for me it's about trying to cope, and at the lowest level possible of dose.

There is no pressure to taper to 0mg at all, @SwedishDespair.

Getting to the lowest dose you feel ok and safe, is a good goal to have.

These pills are the most sedious way of numbing a human, it is an outright crime of human rights.

I've had feelings like these, too, for many years! Very understandable.

Today, I just accept what has happened to me and do my best to move forward in the position I find myself in.

You see, I was the type of person who listened to my doctor, and believed them.

Yep, me too. I'm more discerning/sceptical these days of the advice I am given by doctors.

Well, since my topic is perhaps more rare on this forum

Why not have a poke around the success stories and the introduction pages. Use the search function for Paxil / paroxetine. Plenty of people have experienced your AD. Some are off it after 6 years, and some are still tapering very, very slowly. 

When I am not sure what is possible with these ADs, I head for the success stories to give me a boost.

Sending warm wishes your way.

1 hour ago, Emonda said:

Today, I just accept what has happened to me and do my best to move forward in the position I find myself in.

Yep, me too. I'm more discerning/sceptical these days of the advice I am given by doctors.

Why not have a poke around the success stories and the introduction pages. Use the search function for Paxil / paroxetine. Plenty of people have experienced your AD. Some are off it after 6 years, and some are still tapering very, very slowly. 

When I am not sure what is possible with these ADs, I head for the success stories to give me a boost.

Thank you @Emonda, yes I see you are Australian, bet you have nice warm weather now, Sweden bounces above and below freezing right now.

Yes, I lost all my illusions quickly after my first attempt. Getting no acknowledgement from healthcare is just a dagger in your side.

Today, I just accept what has happened to me and do my best to move forward in the position I find myself in

I can't really accept this, the scale of it, the many years lost and how widely it has caused me harm in so many aspects of life.

Instead, I find it easier to accept that I'm a 'drug addict' now, and that it cannot be asked of me to not just bare the brute force

of withdrawal, but also then live with the emotions of what the drug did. And also doing all this without them acknowledging

that they caused me harm.

That is what I've been doing all of these years, I guess, forums, blogs, research and so on.

I admire the works of altostrata, fiddaman and so on.

Many times it was closer for me to end up as a 'sad story' or 'tragic statistics' on their sites...

But I have a flawless upbringing and youth, pill free, that simply can't make me quit.

(For the better or worse, it feels at times)

Thank you for responding Emonda, I wish you all the best I can, from a colder, yellowish red, late autumn Sweden.

Cipramil initially.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:09 AM, SwedishDespair said:

Hi forum. Despite a very (in perspective) light 'load' of pharmaceuticals, I'm very burdened by them. I've read here about people on so many drugs, that seem better off than me.

In 1999 I got switched to Seroxat/Paxil, after trying on/off Cipramil initially. My initial diagnose was panic attacks.

I never questioned the drugs, they were just there.

In reality, my life had taken a turn downwards, and it has just kept going.

Spiralling from one crash to another, from one diagnose to another.

And it adds up, and now I'm living with the knowledge of what they did to me.

I'm male, closing in on 50 years old, tall in stature, and physically largely unscaved.

But oh so very weak, (or sad, or lonely, or frightened, or overwhelmed)

I tried a slow taper about 10 years ago, it led to a crash of enormous proportions, I will not be able to come off.

(I'm not even fully sure I want to live with the aftermath that the pills has given me unwantingly)

There are very little resources in Sweden, where I live. And iatrogenic harm does basicly not include SSRI. Denial.

I have been taking generic Lexapro for six months with an average dose of 7.5mg. It initiated sleep problems but was charged with energy and I thought it was supposed to be that way. I had many ideas and did many tasks and when I went to the movies the colors seemed so wonderful and I felt like I was in paradise. I had never taken any drugs or prohibited substances before, so I had no comparison of what happens to me on escitalopram. Only now I know that this esci did like a drug. I didn't expect the doctor to give me a drug, not to mention that it was supposed to be a medicine that heals and helps. 

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

• 1 month later...

I'm just not getting any effect from my dose anymore. I can't deal with withdrawal. I just want to survive.

I don't know why my dose isn't helping anymore, I've raised it twice this fall, 5mg each time, it gives a short lived help, I'm now on 35mg/day. I am still not up to my original dose of 40mg/day,

but I dread to have to go there, and I'm scared it won't be enough. Taper isn't an option, it just isn't.

I can only raise the dose or perhaps try some other SSRI. After 23 years of Paxil/Paroxetine/Seroxat, perhaps I have become immune?

Has anyone else heard of anything similar?

Has anyone heard of even higher doses of Paxil per day?

Cipramil initially.

• Administrator

Hi @SwedishDespair,

Sorry to read of your situation.

19 hours ago, SwedishDespair said:

Has anyone else heard of anything similar?

I recall a similar personal experience years back on a different AD. The AD just didn't cut it anymore, so the doctor would increase the dose, time and time again....I ended up being quite fearful after that, that the next AD would stop working, so I knew I needed to do something...but had no idea what. If only I found this site 20 years ago!

I now understand this to be "poop-out" or Tachyphylaxis. I read about it on this site and in a book...either Prozac Backlash or Anatomy of an Epidemic....don't recall which one.

Brassmonkey (a Moderator on this site) wrote about it here at the link below, and I encourage you to read about it.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/437-tolerance-or-poop-out-or-tachyphylaxis/?do=findComment&comment=605570

19 hours ago, SwedishDespair said:

I can only raise the dose or perhaps try some other SSRI.

My doctor subjected me to something I'd not want to experience again (switching to another SSRI). He told me to stop the AD one day and, three days later, started something else. I recall feeling dreadful for quite some time.

If you read a little further down in Brassmonkey's post, he comments as follows:

The only way to change the situation is to reduce the amount of the drug in a slow manner so the body can make the changes necessary to function without it, but not reducing enough to increase the WD symptoms.  So in effect the only way to get out of poopout is to reduce the dose of the drug.

Why not read over the above thread, sleep on it, and we can chat further.

If I can taper after 27 years on these things, I'm confident you can too, SwedishDespair.

Emonda

On 12/25/2023 at 7:19 AM, SwedishDespair said:

Taper isn't an option, it just isn't

I know you are afraid. I am too but my paroxetine was also pooping out. The cold turkey has left me with PTSD. I don't say that lightly as I have PTSD from something else. (I won't give details as I don't want to trigger anyone.) I am terrified to go back to where I was after the cold turkey but I know that if I don't taper the full poop out will hit me like cold turkey withdrawal. 

We are here for you. Do you have any support where you live?

Are you trying any apps or online courses of CBT? There are apps like Calm or Dare. 

Does magnesium help or Omega? 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19962288/

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

On 12/26/2023 at 11:58 AM, Emonda said:

Hi @SwedishDespair,

Sorry to read of your situation.

I recall a similar personal experience years back on a different AD. The AD just didn't cut it anymore, so the doctor would increase the dose, time and time again....I ended up being quite fearful after that, that the next AD would stop working, so I knew I needed to do something...but had no idea what. If only I found this site 20 years ago!

I now understand this to be "poop-out" or Tachyphylaxis. I read about it on this site and in a book...either Prozac Backlash or Anatomy of an Epidemic....don't recall which one.

Brassmonkey (a Moderator on this site) wrote about it here at the link below, and I encourage you to read about it.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/437-tolerance-or-poop-out-or-tachyphylaxis/?do=findComment&comment=605570

My doctor subjected me to something I'd not want to experience again (switching to another SSRI). He told me to stop the AD one day and, three days later, started something else. I recall feeling dreadful for quite some time.

If you read a little further down in Brassmonkey's post, he comments as follows:

The only way to change the situation is to reduce the amount of the drug in a slow manner so the body can make the changes necessary to function without it, but not reducing enough to increase the WD symptoms.  So in effect the only way to get out of poopout is to reduce the dose of the drug.

Why not read over the above thread, sleep on it, and we can chat further.

If I can taper after 27 years on these things, I'm confident you can too, SwedishDespair.

Emonda

Yes, I'm scared. Scared out of my whits. I have had such terrible years on Seroxat, that coping with that history without them becomes all but impossible. I just do not have the strength some of you have

to deal with what comes without the pills in my system. And I mean it in a way that really considers alternatives.

OK, so now I have a medical term for what I'm experiencing, I will read up on it in Brassmonkeys thread.

I suffer from strong anxiety that leads to panicattacks. When it happens I lose all reasoning, I have no defence at all.

My anxiety is very breathing-oriented, I get 'hunger for more air', yawning, irregular breathing, cramped breathing.

Always with 'catastrophy-thoughts', and any attempt to calm my breathing down only leads to me focusing even more on each breath.

I have no established contact with psychiatry anymore, I couldn't stand their lies and how they turned their backs on me (and had over all these years)

A random GP, locally, prescribes for me. This fall I've seen a psychologist that is truly helping, and understanding the lies of SSRI's.

But he just can't help with the physical part, whatever takes place inside me now that the drug stops numbing me.

This page is all I can turn to. And I will even be forced to seek psychiatry again, which I hate the thought of, but there are no other branch of medicine that

deals with these drugs. It is so backwards to seek help from the disease.

Thank you for your reply.

Cipramil initially.

20 hours ago, LostInCanada said:

I know you are afraid. I am too but my paroxetine was also pooping out. The cold turkey has left me with PTSD. I don't say that lightly as I have PTSD from something else. (I won't give details as I don't want to trigger anyone.) I am terrified to go back to where I was after the cold turkey but I know that if I don't taper the full poop out will hit me like cold turkey withdrawal. 

We are here for you. Do you have any support where you live?

Are you trying any apps or online courses of CBT? There are apps like Calm or Dare. 

Does magnesium help or Omega? 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19962288/

I tried to add B6 this fall, but it helped very little, if any. I had terrible cramps and tension of the muscles, but as I have raised my dose that part has worn away.

It is the anxiety and panic that causes me to write now.

I'm virtually immune to 'self-help' and trying CBT and thoughtpatterns and what not.

When the panic and anxiety sets in I have literally nothing.

I take Benzo when it becomes too much, but I only use it in extreme cases.

(Which this fall means I have taken it 5-6 times over half a year, yes, I'm scared of them too....)

Cipramil initially.

3 hours ago, SwedishDespair said:

It is the anxiety and panic that causes me to write now.

Honestly in the last 3-4 years before my cold turkey, I was having increasing panic attacks and anxiety. The doctor increased my dosage but it was no help. I believe the drug was now causing the panic attacks and anxiety. I think it was pooping out and no longer effective. I am actually feeling less now on 4.5 mg then on 30 mg. Seroxat causes these very symptoms. I am wondering if that is what is happening? 

Did you click on the link I gave you about lavender oil being as effective as Ativan? 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

1 hour ago, LostInCanada said:

Honestly in the last 3-4 years before my cold turkey, I was having increasing panic attacks and anxiety. The doctor increased my dosage but it was no help. I believe the drug was now causing the panic attacks and anxiety. I think it was pooping out and no longer effective. I am actually feeling less now on 4.5 mg then on 30 mg. Seroxat causes these very symptoms. I am wondering if that is what is happening? 

Did you click on the link I gave you about lavender oil being as effective as Ativan? 

I'm having a hard time focusing now. I have escalating anxiety, and frankly a bit worried about what I've learned in this thread. If it is 'Tachyphylaxis', I'm in for more than I think I can bare.

Cipramil initially.

@SwedishDespair try not to overthink it. I know easier said than done. I just know for myself, being at lower doses seems better for me and maybe will be for you. 👍

On 12/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, LostInCanada said:

@SwedishDespair try not to overthink it. I know easier said than done. I just know for myself, being at lower doses seems better for me and maybe will be for you. 👍

Overthinker is me, I was always one to 'ponder'. But I know that I have suffered hard from Paxil, and unfortunately I must have some kind of relief from it. And the only answer is

the 'numbing', I don't like it, but by now I'm just too far gone. Of course I know that this is not ideal. I'm very aware that the pills are what brought me here.

I am very glad for forums like this though, it is a lifeline.

Cipramil initially.

• 3 months later...

Almost wanted to start a topic for advice, but: I still experience, what I believe to be 'tachyphylaxis', and I suffer strong anxiety. At times all the way to panic. I'm looking for advice on several possible ways forward:

1: changing my long time Paxil to another? Strategies in such case? Stopping is not an alternative, I succomb to strong anxiety, I become ("hospitalized") or worse.

I'm leaning towards giving "cipramil" "cipralex" "citalopram" a go, and possibly a higher dose of it. I had low effect from it 25 years ago, but I feel it's more 'benign'than Paxil for me..

Or "fluoxetine"..

I'm at "I only wanna survive X nr of years more...."

I simply can't understand how other people can deal with anxiety, and I know I suffer much less than many..

I get so scared, seriously, ultra-scared.

I don't look the part, but I suffer still (6'2 and 210lbs/188/95kg)

Cipramil initially.

@SwedishDespair Hi, I have no advice but insightful of you not to stop completely. I made that mistake. Hope you get the advice you need so you can heal further…

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

2022 May - 62,5mg (doctor wanted to increase). Felt sick, went back to 50mg efter 2 weeks

2022 Oct - Reducing dose to 37,5mg (from 50mg). WD in few days, advised to go back to 50 - I then got adverse worse paradoxical effect

2022 Oct - Zoloft 50mg severe side effects/adverse reaction

2023 May 5th - Reducing dose to 25mg (directly from 50mg by Dr, WD).

2023 Aug 1st - Reducing dose to 12,5mg 

2023 Oct 10th - Removed dose from 12mg to zero by Dr. Tried reinstate citalopram after 3 months didnt work bad reaction. In Terrible WD.

Use melatonin 4mg. Lergigan 5mg. Omega 3, D-vitamin, magnesium glycinate, zink.

4 hours ago, SwedishDespair said:

I suffer strong anxiety. At times all the way to panic.

Sorry to hear that there is no improvement. You might be in poop out and experiencing WD because of it.

4 hours ago, SwedishDespair said:

leaning towards giving "cipramil" "cipralex" "citalopram" a go, and possibly a higher dose of it. I had low effect from it 25 years ago, but I feel it's more 'benign'than Paxil for me..

Or "fluoxetine"..

If you are in poop out, other drugs may be of zero value and just add side effects along with paxil WD. I did see Altostrata at one point recommended citalopram as an alternative to paxil when one is struggling to taper paroxetine. . I had a bad experience with prozac so I would never recommend it. 

I know the anxiety you are feeling is mountain like to you. Did you get a chance to read Claire Weekes books "Hope and Help for Your Nerves". Please do, it was very helpful for me and many others here. Remember the anxiety is adrenaline in overdrive. It will not hurt you. You are safe.

Thanks for the update. Be kind to yourself. 

On 4/20/2024 at 1:33 AM, LostInCanada said:

Sorry to hear that there is no improvement. You might be in poop out and experiencing WD because of it.

If you are in poop out, other drugs may be of zero value and just add side effects along with paxil WD. I did see Altostrata at one point recommended citalopram as an alternative to paxil when one is struggling to taper paroxetine. . I had a bad experience with prozac so I would never recommend it. 

I know the anxiety you are feeling is mountain like to you. Did you get a chance to read Claire Weekes books "Hope and Help for Your Nerves". Please do, it was very helpful for me and many others here. Remember the anxiety is adrenaline in overdrive. It will not hurt you. You are safe.

Thanks for the update. Be kind to yourself. 

Thanks for your concern, yes I suffer 'poop out', it must be. Since I'm around 48 and male, I was also thinking that 'stuff changes', even for males around about this age.

My anxiety attacks my breathing very hard. I become so focused on breathing, and it accelerates it all. I believe I'm in some sort of 'oxygen starvation', when it most likely is anxiety.

It goes out of control. And the catch 22 is that if I focus on breathing even without anxiety, like breathing exercises, it also triggers my anxiety.

Yes, when I'm calm and rational, I know that anxiety is harmless.

Just don't know how to stop it when it hits.

Cipramil initially.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:24 AM, Dahlia50 said:

@SwedishDespair Hi, I have no advice but insightful of you not to stop completely. I made that mistake. Hope you get the advice you need so you can heal further…

Unfortunately stopping isn't even close to being an alternative.

I just don't have the strength it takes.

And all the uncertainties makes the whole thing out of the question for me.

Cipramil initially.