crispypata908 and abilify

crispypata908

Hello,
I have decided to go to a different medicine than my current one (going on 5 years with Abilify 30mg although it hadn't started that way at the beginning of course. it ramped up to 30mg over some time. I digress). I chose this different one based off a video that talked about the least weight-gain-inducing as a side effect, medicine. That medicine is Latuda. The reason for this is because the doctors are worried that my EPS side effect symptoms (in my case: oculogyric crisis and some weird hand tremors and movements) will last longer or become permanent if i don't either 1) taper down (which I've tried on numerous occasions [going down 1mg at a time] without success). or 2) Switch to a new medicine temporarily. That being Latuda. I guess the idea being switching and then tapering off of that one eventually. Or staying at a lower dose of the new one.
Initial thoughts/questions:
  1. Did I make the wrong decision here?
  2. How would I have better prepared to go down on the medicine if I had chosen that route again another time?
Thanks

Currently taking:

- Abilify 20-30mg (gradually tapered) daily at 5pm > started at around, Jul. 2019-Nov. 2023 (upped dose near Nov. '19 to 30mg at my last hospitalization)

- Cogentin 0.5mg-1mg as needed for Oculogyric Crisis (or EPS) > Oct. 2021-Nov.2022 

- Benadryl 25-50mg (as needed, to replace Cogentin) for Oculogyric Crisis > Nov. 2022-Nov. 2023

Was taking:

- Risperidone 3mg daily | Depakote 500mg > Feb. 2018-Jul. 2019

• Administrator

Welcome to S.A. @crispypata908,

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

6 hours ago, crispypata908 said:

I have decided to go to a different medicine than my current one

I chose this different one based off a video that talked about the least weight-gain-inducing as a side effect, medicine. That medicine is Latuda.

We are unable to offer advice on switching from one medication to another. 

taper down (which I've tried on numerous occasions [going down 1mg at a time] without success).

If you end up deciding to taper from your current AD, this is something that we could provide some suggestions around. Rather than taper at 1mg per reduction, we recommend a maximum of 10% of the previous dose. Why taper by 10% of my dosage? Any faster than this, and the WD symptoms are likely to cause you grief, and people end up back on their AD.

If your goal ends up being to taper, please let us know.

I hope this helps.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May  1.83mg,

I'm calling my psychiatrist today and letting them know that i will be making a firm decision to attempt to taper.. but here's my plan. I'm currently suffering from EPS symptoms and this is with the knowledge from even my psychiatrist team that it IS indeed caused by the abilify, so their recommendations to either taper completely off or just taper down to a lower dose. I will try that latter idea, (down to a lower dose temporarily).. and see if i can ride that out for a while but heck i might as well go all the way if i can. It's just my mental "illness" symptoms might resurface and land me back in the hospital where they might put me on something worse...

as far as the method used. i will look more indepth at that 10% change way.

Currently taking:

- Abilify 20-30mg (gradually tapered) daily at 5pm > started at around, Jul. 2019-Nov. 2023 (upped dose near Nov. '19 to 30mg at my last hospitalization)

- Cogentin 0.5mg-1mg as needed for Oculogyric Crisis (or EPS) > Oct. 2021-Nov.2022 

- Benadryl 25-50mg (as needed, to replace Cogentin) for Oculogyric Crisis > Nov. 2022-Nov. 2023

Was taking:

I'm also not sure but has anyone here had any bad experiences trying to taper off AD's with Kaiser Permanente as their health insurance or should that part not matter? My thinking is that it would be better to have the doctors work WITH me rather than against me.. and so far my psyche doctors just seem to be wanting to drug me. or is that just normal no matter what lol?

Oh and sorry i will follow those instructions ASAP (updated: just did that :>)

Currently taking:

Was taking:

• Administrator

Welcome, @crispypata908

If you are getting extrapyramidal symptoms from an antipsychotic, the best medical practice is to reduce or discontinue the drug. Any antipsychotic can cause EPS, there is no safe antipsychotic.

When did you last increase the Abilify dose?

If you taper very gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms and dopamine supersensitivity, which may be mistaken for new symptoms of psychosis, you might be able to get by with minimal or even no drug. 

People taking any type of psychiatric drug have a very difficult time working out gradual tapers with their doctors. Doctors are reluctant to taper because for a very long time, they have mistaken withdrawal symptoms for "relapse". Most still hold this belief and make this mistake.

This topic explains how to taper Abilify 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello! Thank you for the welcome :)

Also I believe the last time i upped my dose from 25mg to 30mg was back at my last hospitalization which was in November 2019- right before COVID/pandemic.

And i will gladly take a look at that information you sent, thank you.

Currently taking:

Was taking:

• Administrator

You've been taking 30mg Abilify long enough that you'll need to carefully taper it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Returning back to these forums to get some answers to my question.. As i've started to taper since 3ish weeks ago. I've been on 29mg and have been having some sleep/insomnia issues.

I had been wondering:

- Is abilify activating or sedative? (im taking it in the morning and honestly cannot tell.. but it's been a while since i remember taking it at night to tell the difference)

Maybe this will give me a better idea if i should take it at night or morning.. but since i've been taking it at morning, how would i best transition to night time?

On a more positive side note: I was able to book a consultation with Dr Josef Witt-Doerring who specializes in tapering properly.. maybe we would be able to tell me based on some personal chemistry?

Thanks,

-Crispypata

Currently taking:

Was taking:

On 3/9/2024 at 2:22 PM, crispypata908 said:

Is abilify activating or sedative? (im taking it in the morning and honestly cannot tell.. but it's been a while since i remember taking it at night to tell the difference)

If it doesn't sedate you throughout the day then I would continue to take it on a morning.

If you do wish to switch it to evening you will want to gradually move it by an hour every 1-3 days or so.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C