worldwidestepovers: Prozac

worldwidestepovers

I was prescribed Prozac for social anxiety in early 2021 and quickly upped the dose to 60mg which I have been prescribed since. I did not fully understand what I was getting myself into and just decided to follow my doctor's advice. I really have no clue on whether it has helped with my issue or not; I never kept track on how it affected my issue over time. I don't like certain ways in how it has affected me and regret blindly agreeing to go on the medication and decided to go cold turkey on November 20th, 2023 which is 45 days ago from this time of writing.

I joined this forum to receive advice and knowledge on how much longer I have until I am in the clear from withdrawals and I can move on from this medication for good.

History:

Prozac 60mg Early 2021 - November 2023

• Administrator

Hi @worldwidestepovers and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

If you could, please add a signature with a summary of your medication history including drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. A list format is best.

7 hours ago, worldwidestepovers said:

I joined this forum to receive advice and knowledge on how much longer I have until I am in the clear from withdrawals and I can move on from this medication for good.

Unfortunately we don't know how long this process will take for you. Each of us is different and we all heal at a different pace. However given enough time, you will heal as well. A reinstatement might be an option for you still as you are only 45 days out from a CT. Here is more information for you to look over and educate yourself.

WITHDRAWAL
What is withdrawal syndrome.
Brain Remodelling
Video: Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 
The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization
REINSTATEMENT
Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  It isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms but it’s the best tactic available. The only alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  
 Reinstatement predictably works up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   Please read:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic
 It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.    
SUPPLEMENTS

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

KenA

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

16 hours ago, KenA said:

Hi @worldwidestepovers and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

If you could, please add a signature with a summary of your medication history including drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. A list format is best.

Unfortunately we don't know how long this process will take for you. Each of us is different and we all heal at a different pace. However given enough time, you will heal as well. A reinstatement might be an option for you still as you are only 45 days out from a CT. Here is more information for you to look over and educate yourself.

WITHDRAWAL
What is withdrawal syndrome.
Brain Remodelling
Video: Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 
The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization
REINSTATEMENT
Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  It isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms but it’s the best tactic available. The only alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  
 Reinstatement predictably works up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   Please read:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic
 It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.    
SUPPLEMENTS

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

KenA

Is 45 days really not a long time? I took it for 3 years. I do not plan on ever reinstating because I am so deep in to this already. Can the after effects really last up to a year? Is there any way to accelerate the process? Will I ever be the same even after the withdrawals are gone?

History:

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, worldwidestepovers said:

Is 45 days really not a long time?

When it comes to reinstatement, everyone is different, but the average time frame is generally up to 3 months. I CT quit everything as well so I understand not wanting to reinstate.

58 minutes ago, worldwidestepovers said:

Can the after effects really last up to a year? Is there any way to accelerate the process? Will I ever be the same even after the withdrawals are gone?

They can, but it really is unique to each individual. There is sadly no way of knowing how long the process will take for you. If you read my success story, you will see that I found that there was honestly no magic pill or anything that could speed up the process. Nothing that really made me feel any better. It just took time, time and more time. I am back to my good ole normal self but I consider myself better than before because I no longer depend on a pill for my happiness. It truly is a freeing feeling to be in charge of my own destiny!

All the best

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I took Prozac (fluoxetine) 60mg prescribed daily for nearly 3 years. I abruptly quit on November 20th, 2023.

So it has been over 5 months and I have felt some symptoms come and others go or stay.

I have my own ongoing experience and I would like to compare it to other personal experiences and how the situation developed over time, when you felt what or when things got better and how you knew. Or the insights of knowledgeable people.

Basically: What am I supposed to be feeling over time, are symptoms supposed to be consistent, and when I’ll know I am better or close to the finish line.

History: