I am a stay at home mom of two young boys. I am so scared that I am stuck like this. After reading here, I believe what I am experiencing is kindling? Upon waking I feel a “surge” of electricity going through my body. This happens every single morning without fail. I have 24/7 SEVERE anxiety and panic symptoms both mentally and physically. Internal tremors, obsessive thoughts, can’t even watch a tv show without obsessing over how I am feeling. Sweaty palms and feet, heart racing. And then on top of all of this 24/7 I get rolling panic attacks that last various amounts of time. I do not get a break from it. No good days. Maybe once a week I can’t handle it any more and I will take klonopin but I am so scared of benzos so I try very hard not to. I cannot under any circumstances endure this for multiple years. My family is talking about me going inpatient somewhere and I seriously can’t stand the thought of leaving my babies. I have never even spent one night away from them. Please please someone tell me how I can get back to functioning again. Should I reinstate a small amount of pristiq? Thank you. 

not sure exactly how to add my signature but for now here is a brief history-

2006-2017 celexa10mg and lexapro20mg (self tapered on and off multiple times but can’t recall how often) 

2017 tapered myself off of lexapro with no problems when I decided to get pregnant. 

2018 postpartum was severe. Put me on Zoloft & Hydroxyzine. This saved me. 

2022 tried to wean myself but couldn’t get off of zoloft

2023 psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin to wean me from zoloft

may2023 fully weaned off of Zoloft

september 2023 was using Hydroxyzine often so I felt like I needed to go back to Zoloft. Reinstated 100mg Zoloft and it was HELL. Extreme panic and anxiety. Electricity. Not sleeping well, vomiting, diarrhea. endured for 5 days before psychiatrist told me to stop taking it and gave me klonapin (and I weaned by nursing toddler) because I was in such bad shape. after a few days and Zoloft out of my system I was “okay”. 

October 2023- lexapro- psychiatrist tried lexapro since I was previously on it. Had same side effects and advised I stopped taking after a few days. 

November 2023-pristiq-  I took the genesight test and pristiq was the only “green” medication. I took 25mg pristiq alongside 
Propranolol 2x/day and 50mg Hydroxyzine at night. Klonopin for emergencies. I took it for 3 weeks and slowly ended up with the same side effects as the others. Diarrhea, vomiting, clenching jaw, EXTREME panic and anxiety etc. stopped after 3 weeks. 

12/9 - current-no SSRI or SNRI. Taking propranolol 2x/day, 50mg Hydroxyzine sometimes at night and klonapin when I can no longer endure another day like this. It feels like it is getting way worse and not better. I never have good days. 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title
  • Emonda changed the title to Melbee: Please someone help

Hi @Melbee,

I'm sorry you're experiencing this, my heart goes out to you. I think the best solution is to assess things and avoid adding or taking away any drugs at the moment. To me it does seem like your nervous system has been sensitized from going on/off so many different drugs, but I don't think you will be like this forever. You can help by answering a few questions:

1) When during your timeline did you feel like things got *really* bad? Might help to think when you started getting new or more severe symptoms you hadn't had before.

2) Am I reading your signature right that you previously tolerated Zoloft fine but the second attempt resulted in intolerable adverse effects?

3) Do you have any trouble with the drugs you are currently taking? Do you feel worse/better at any point in the period after taking them (including the next day)? 

4) How long have you been taking propranolol. Is this for anxiety?

5) Is there any time of day when things are consistently at their worst? 

6) Lastly, is there any time when things are better, when symptoms are less severe (ie after exercise, meditation, before going to sleep?)? 

I know everything seems like a big mess now, but hopefully we can help you sort things out and get you to the point where you are improving rather than getting worse. I would avoid reinstating any of your previous drugs at the moment. It sounds like you may indeed have suffered a kindling effect and your nervous system might be a bit hypersensitive to any new drug, even if you have tolerated them well before. 

Here are a few links you might find useful:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27800-hypersensitivity-and-kindling/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/#comment-183

The first step is stabilization of your current situation. Then you can hopefully begin to see slow improvements. I hope you are able to look into the non-drug coping strategies. It's probably a good idea to stay away from new prescriptions for now, and I think you're correct to go easy on the benzo. If you need something mild, people have found magnesium (for during the day) or melatonin (at night) to be helpful. But in general it's best not to experiment with too many supplements. Adverse reactions are quite possible with these, as well. 

I would advise against going inpatient. This almost always involves some sort of drug regimen and that might be dangerous for you right now. They are also generally quite slow to recognize adverse drug reactions and drug withdrawal. However, if there is somewhere safe you can go with your kids to get away from things for a bit, where you will be supported emotionally and not drugged, that might be helpful. 

I wish you well, Melbee, and will check back a bit later 🙏

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

@DataGuy thank you so so much for replying. I talked to my psychiatrist this morning because this is unbearable and she recommended I try the pristiq 25mg again. I’m so lost and suffering so bad I just need to do something. I’ll be using the propranolol and klonapin to help me get through the onset I guess. I literally can’t go another day like this so I had to try reinstating. 

To answer your questions , I did not tolerate Zoloft well at first. It caused an increase in symptoms at first but then I obviously stabilized because I was able to stay on it for 5+ years and was functioning at least. That’s what I am hoping will happen with the pristiq. This time. 😔

Ok, just be careful. Remember that you can always try starting with a small dose, and that it takes a few days for blood levels to build up and achieve the full effect. 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

@DataGuy thank you for responding, you have no idea what this means to me. I have been having scary thoughts and feel so lost. my Psychiatrist said this is the lowest dose & obviously isn’t versed in liquid formulations. Can I take the 25mg every other day instead of every day, you think?  I ordered a pill cutter, I could try doing 1/4 of it tomorrow when that arrives? How long will it be before I know that I’m having an adverse reaction to the medication? And, if I don't have one, how long before I start to feel some relief? If you had to guess? I can’t live like this I am in a really bad place. It’s very scary.  

It seems like cutting or crushing it destroys the extended release coating and results in a half-life of around 11 hours. So you could do this, but you would have to take a smaller dose twice per day. Definitely avoid taking it on alternating days. That will just make your blood levels go up and down and cause even more problems. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-desvenlafaxine-pristiq/#comment-7507

Pristiq is just a metabolite of Effexor, so it may be easier (and cheaper) to just take Effexor. Effexor would also be easier to taper. 

No one can really say how long before you know it is working or before you have an adverse reaction. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell either way. I had one person I helped who reinstated for the second or third time, thought the reinstatement was helping him, but realized looking at his daily notes that he was actually worse off after having reinstated the drug. This was after 2 or 3 months, so it's important to keep a daily record of your symptoms and how you are feeling. This is not something that is easy to remember even if you are pretty high-functioning. 

Here is the topic for reinstating. Please read it and make sure you are careful with the dose. Depending on how long you have been off, we can recommend you start with a reinstatement that is as small as 1/10th the original dose. Then from there you can slowly increase it, as long as it doesn't make you feel worse. The claim that you can just "tough out" the adverse effects is really nonsense. The reality is you can't tell if the adverse effects will get better or just keep getting worse, and telling someone to continue taking a drug through difficult adverse effects is dangerous advice. 

Ideally, when you are reinstating, you should start with a dose where you can barely feel the effect of the drug, then slowly increase. There really isn't any magic dose you need to get to. The goal is just to feel a bit better. That is the most realistic thing you can hope for. 

TBH from your description of your experience with Pristiq, this reinstatement sounds like a really bad idea. It sounds like it never made you feel ok? I really doubt this is the solution. 

I need to head out for the day, but please don't do anything rash. Honestly, it probably makes a lot more sense to reinstate a small dose of Zoloft, since you tolerated that for 5 years, and this could be the ultimate source of your post-withdrawal syndrome. Will check back later. Hope things work out 🙏

Domperidone - 2008-2018

@DataGuyno rush. 

all of this makes sense. Looking back on my texts it seems that I did feel significantly better after I started pristiq at first. It wasn’t until around 3 weeks that I wanted to stop taking it. (I also had a traumatic event happen that week). The issue was that I started taking propranolol & pristiq at the same time so I wasn’t able to gauge if the pristiq was helping or if it was just the propranolol. So we stopped the pristiq and now that it’s been a month with just using the propranolol it is clear to me that I definitely was not doing “better” due to just the propranolol. However, the immediate first few days after coming off of pristiq I felt significantly less anxiety, too so I just don't know what’s going on. 

I have been making journal entries this go-around to keep up because you’re right- every time someone asks me if I feel better or worse on “x” medications I just have NO clue. 

Melbee, I’m  dealing with somewhat similar problem. Got withdrawal symptoms after switching few drugs and , I was taking them for a short time and don’t know what to do . 

I  understood from this conversation that we could  restart any drug from the past in a small dose , is that correct ? 

I understand how horrible it is especially with small kids . 

I also have bad  symptoms and don’t know how to solve it . Don’t want to go to the hospital and have a p doc  not very experienced .

Edited by Emonda
Removed underlining and bolding from every word

•2004 paroxetine 10 mg 6 months tapered no problem

•2012? Zoloft,50? few weeks then stopped 

•mid July 2023 Zoloft 50 mg , 5 days 

•week later July 2023 escitalopram 10 mg , for 7.5 weeks , taper 5 mg for 2 days 

•beginning of Sept 2023 Zoloft 25 , 5 days  •mid Sept 2023 paroxetine10mg , 4 weeks, then 20 mg for 3 weeks, short taper 10 mg every other day for a week 

•Mirtazapine 7.5 mg , 1 day, 15 mg , 1 day, mid Nov 2023 

•mirtazapine 7,5 mg 3 weeks,15 mg for 2 days,end of Nov2023, short taper

•mirtazapine 3.5 -4 mg , week, mid Dec2023, help with sleep 

• lorazepam mid July 2023 for insomnia, and as needed , doses 0.5-2.5 mg

•Hydroxyzine HCL 10mg,as needed , since mid Nov2023 , rarely used , around 14 times total 

•buspar 5 mg twice , mid Dec 2023

@EdaB I honestly don’t have the answers but if you need someone to talk to that understands, I am here. Praying for healing for us, my friend. ❤️

I have been praying this whole time , and honestly, I am so clueless and hopeless .

No sense talking to people who don’t understand, is pointless. 

Thank you for Melbee❤️

I do need to talk and desperate for improvement. Dr just throws new meds and says it is in my head, although he admitted that it’s protracted withdrawal but they don’t last very long .

Did you decide what to do next?

•week later July 2023 escitalopram 10 mg , for 7.5 weeks , taper 5 mg for 2 days 

•beginning of Sept 2023 Zoloft 25 , 5 days  •mid Sept 2023 paroxetine10mg , 4 weeks, then 20 mg for 3 weeks, short taper 10 mg every other day for a week 

•Hydroxyzine HCL 10mg,as needed , since mid Nov2023 , rarely used , around 14 times total 

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, DataGuy said:

I need to head out for the day, but please don't do anything rash. Honestly, it probably makes a lot more sense to reinstate a small dose of Zoloft, since you tolerated that for 5 years, and this could be the ultimate source of your post-withdrawal syndrome.

I tend to agree with this advice.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

On 1/4/2024 at 2:03 PM, Melbee said:

@DataGuyno rush. 

all of this makes sense. Looking back on my texts it seems that I did feel significantly better after I started pristiq at first. It wasn’t until around 3 weeks that I wanted to stop taking it. (I also had a traumatic event happen that week). The issue was that I started taking propranolol & pristiq at the same time so I wasn’t able to gauge if the pristiq was helping or if it was just the propranolol. So we stopped the pristiq and now that it’s been a month with just using the propranolol it is clear to me that I definitely was not doing “better” due to just the propranolol. However, the immediate first few days after coming off of pristiq I felt significantly less anxiety, too so I just don't know what’s going on. 

I have been making journal entries this go-around to keep up because you’re right- every time someone asks me if I feel better or worse on “x” medications I just have NO clue. 

@Melbee here is a link to a symptom checklist to keep track of symptoms. Might make things easier.

Also important when changing things around to do it one thing at a time. Makes it much easier to know what is causing what. This topic explains further: Keep it simple, keep it slow, keeps it stable

Domperidone - 2008-2018

• 3 months later...

Hi! I’m in a very similar situation and wondering how you are doing now?

•2015-2023 Lexapro 20mg 

•Feb 2023 direct switch to Effexor 37.5mg

•Dec25, 23 direct switch to Prozac 20mg 
•Dec 26, 23 - Dec 31, 23 Prozac 20mg

•Jan 1, 24 -Jan 9, 24 Prozac 20mg every other day then jump to zero

•Feb 15, 24 Zoloft 12.5mg, Trazodone 50 mg, Hydroxyzine 50mg PRN

•Feb 19, 24 Zoloft 25 mg, Propranolol 60mg

•Mar 5, 25 Zoloft 50mg •Mar 15, 24 Zoloft 25mg •Mar 23, 24 Trazodone 37.5mg •Mar 24, 24 Propranolol 50mg •March 25, 24 Zoloft 12.5mg •March 30, 24 Trazodone 25mg •April 1, 24 Zoloft 6.25mg •April 6, 25 Zoloft 0mg, Trazodone 12.5 mg •April 11, 24 Propranolol 40mg •April 21, 24 Trazodone 6.25mg

(Current: 6.25mg Trazodone, 40 mg Propranolol)

Also: 50 mg Hydroxyzine as needed, 4mg Zofran as needed, .5mg Ativan for super emergency, 25mg Unisom occasional

Omega-3 345mg per day 

@Melbee You are in good hands here. Anytime you need support, I am a text away. You will NOT be like this forever. You are stronger than you think. 🥰

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg 4/29 6.48mg

Hi @Ninabird l saw you stopped  Ativan, lm tapering now and it's really difficult, have been taking it since July last year for I somnia, but it never was helping and have lots of side effects from it. Do you have any advice regarding this drug, like withdrawals etc . Thanks 

@EdaB Hi there, friend. I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time tapering the Ativan. I did not taper Ativan. I was cold turkeyed by a Psychiatrist. If you go back and read my intro bio, you will read that I am still on Klonopin. I will be tapering that drug last. 

I am not in a position to help guide you through the tapering process but the mods on this site are. I have no idea which mod @KenA but I am sure Ken could help you find one that can help guide you safely.  

I am here if you ever need support as are A LOT of other beautiful souls on this site. Remember, this is temporary. You WILL heal. EVERYONE heals. I will be praying for you. 

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg 4/29 6.48mg

@Melbee, how are you now?

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep