jenlincat: Introducing myself: veteran of strange symptoms identical to withdrawal, now experiencing withdrawal symptoms for myself

jenlincat

Hi everyone,

Wanted to introduce myself.

I am no stranger to these bizarre symptoms often associated with withdrawal: dizziness, brain fog, hypersensitivity to light & sound, DP/DR etc having suffered with an awful case of chronic vestibular migraine after having my 2nd child 7 years ago, brought on by a case of PPD / anxiety. I had all those symptoms 24/7 for a good 3 years, then started to see upward improvement. Got myself to a very good place through nutrition, 4 days per week of strength training & supplements (including 5-htp) for the past 4 years so aware these neurological symptoms can take time to heal.

Then just after Christmas, had another attack of anxiety & severe depression. Interestingly a lot of the symptoms I had before started coming back...dizziness, feeling disconnected from everyone, feeling like I was seeing the world behind glass, brain fog, couldn't organise my thoughts, migraines, no motivation for anything & sleeping a lot. I work full time & with 2 children, I needed to get back to functioning. So went to the GP who prescribed me Sertraline 50mg. I was desperate to feel back to normal again.

I stopped taking my 5-htp (was on 80mg before bed at this point) for a coupe of days prior, and Knowing my sensitive nervous system, I started Sertraline by titrating slowly; cutting the 50mg in half to 25mg, then cutting that into quarters. I started by taking a quarter of 25mg, then over the course of 7 days, worked up to 18.75mg. From the first dose & for the whole week I suddenly just could not sleep like before. It was taking me hours to fall asleep & when I finally felt I had drifted off I would be in a very light half sleep, being awoke by the smallest thing. Though the small dose of Sertraline had actually taken away the dizziness & brain fog, the lack of sleep had me feeling like a zombie. It was not a trade off I wanted. So I stopped at 18.75mg cold turkey at day 7. Sleep did not improve. This was 2 weeks ago now.

A couple of days after I stopped, I decided to try re-instate a low dose of 5-htp seeing as previously this had always helped me sleep. It did not help & in fact made things worse. I had sweating, racing heart, tremors, awful anxiety, dizziness, brain fog, depression came back but worse. Appetite went, I really don't feel like getting out of bed at all, I force myself to keep working out & it takes an enormous amount of effort, knowing that if I don't work out at all I will feel even worse (not overdoing it but doing something at least).

So now I'm back to square one, I feel the same, or maybe slightly worse than when I first got hit with vestibular migraine symptoms 7 years ago. Daily life was an exhausting struggle back then, I couldn't believe how disabled one could feel whilst looking 'normal'. With all the weird derealization symptoms, light & sound sensitivity, brain fog & dizziness & couple of new symptoms this time - insomnia & weakness.

Knowing how long it took to feel better last time scares me, but I am also comforted by the knowledge that I did get better, much better & know I can get there again. But this time it feels like there's a lot more on my plate in terms of responsibilities - maintaining a job, 2 kids who need me etc & it does scare me.

I'm also struggling to differentiate between what might be a return of my old symptoms & what may be due to any withdrawal symptoms as there are many which are identical.

I've just ordered melatonin and planning on taking a low dose of this to see if it helps my disrupted sleep cycle as finding it so hard to function on barely any sleep!

Anyway, hello to all who have to walk this rocky path. I will post updates as I go along with anything that I have found that helps.

Also looking to connect with anyone in particular who has taken a low dose SSRI for a short period of time...

Edited by Emonda
Name to title. added spacing to text

April 2017 - No drugs but had nasty case of chronic vestibular migraine after PPD / panic attack - 24/7 dizziness, brain fog, DP/DR, light & sound sensitivity among other symptoms. Long term user of 5-htp to help manage symptoms, found it very effective & able to function normally again until December 2023..

14th Jan 24 - Started very low dose Sertraline (a quarter of a 25mg tablet)

21st Jan 24 - Took last dose of 18.75mg Sertraline then C/T

Immediate withdrawal symptoms & return of old chronic vestibular migraine symptoms...fun times!

• Administrator

Welcome @jenlincat

To ensure I understand, you only took sertraline for 7 days, right? It generally takes 4 weeks to become dependent.

You should put 5-HTP and Sertraline into the drug interaction checker: https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

So you didn't take the two concurrently, but very close together. You may well still have had traces of the drugs in your system at the same time. According to the drug interaction report, you do not want to mix the two. 

I have no personal experience with 5-HTP. You should have read of the following link:

Have you read any of these links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

• Emonda changed the title to jenlincat: Introducing myself: veteran of strange symptoms identical to withdrawal, now experiencing withdrawal symptoms for myself

Thanks for your reply Emonda.

Yes, I only took Sertraline for 7 days & at a fairly low dose too. So it takes 4 weeks to become dependant on the drug thus withdrawal symptoms are usually only seen after this amount of time on them?

I think maybe the interaction between 5-htp & the remaining drugs in my system may have caused the symptoms I had, that would make sense.

I already take magnesium & fish oil & avoid alcohol at all costs :)

April 2017 - No drugs but had nasty case of chronic vestibular migraine after PPD / panic attack - 24/7 dizziness, brain fog, DP/DR, light & sound sensitivity among other symptoms. Long term user of 5-htp to help manage symptoms, found it very effective & able to function normally again until December 2023..

Immediate withdrawal symptoms & return of old chronic vestibular migraine symptoms...fun times!

Four weeks can be enough exposure to cause the symptoms you are experiencing. There is a good explanation here: Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks Brassmonkey, however I was only on them for a week, not four weeks.