CatMom044 Intro

CatMom044

Hi all,

I have only recently begun looking into tapering off my medication due to various factors. Upon researching the best way to do this, I discovered this site and learned more about how doctors will likely suggest a much too fast tapering schedule (this does not surprise me). I have a trip coming up next week so I plan on starting this process once I am back home and on a more stable schedule. I am okay with taking 2+ years to taper if that is what is most productive. However, I am a bit overwhelmed with the potential options for my specific medication (paroxetine). From my understanding, I could go the weighing route or the liquid-suspension route. It seems that the premade liquid suspension of paroxetine has been discontinued (i am in the US, lmk if you know otherwise). My concern about weighing is that it will be difficult to do a micro taper schedule by slightly cutting each pill, though i suppose i could do this ahead of time for each upcoming week. My concern about the liquid process is ensuring an even distribution of the medication in water, though it seems like this is a good option for small tapers, I am also concerned about storing the medication this way. Paroxetine is "slightly  soluble" so i suppose that could do in water. Anyway, this site has been extremely helpful and i look forward to tracking my progress here 🥰

20mg of Paroxetine (started Summer of 2019) due to severe panic attacks

Aim to start taper over the next few months 

• Administrator

Welcome @CatMom044

On 2/8/2024 at 5:52 AM, CatMom044 said:

I have only recently begun looking into tapering off my medication due to various factors. Upon researching the best way to do this, I discovered this site and learned more about how doctors will likely suggest a much too fast tapering schedule (this does not surprise me).

Great that you did your own research before starting your journey. I trust you have read this link: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

10% is the maximum figure, and plenty of us go slower. If you go too fast, you will likely experience unpleasant WD symptoms: 

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) That's a sign to pause your taper. Moving forward, you'd try smaller, less frequent reductions.

I have a trip coming up next week so I plan on starting this process once I am back home and on a more stable schedule

Sounds very prudent!

I am okay with taking 2+ years to taper if that is what is most productive.

It's not a race. 2 years, 3 years...just listen to your body and adjust accordingly. If it takes longer, so be it. You don't want to rock the boat.

However, I am a bit overwhelmed with the potential options for my specific medication (paroxetine).

Have you seen this link: 

My concern about weighing is that it will be difficult to do a micro taper schedule by slightly cutting each pill,

I know of someone on this site who is doing a micro taper on your AD. They use a digital scale and are currently at 4.5mg, which seems to work well for them.

A few more helpful links:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,