Antibiotics and the Central Nervous System

manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus
Posted (edited)

Interesting article:

Molecules. 2021 Dec; 26(24): 7456.
Published online 2021 Dec 9. doi: 10.3390/molecules26247456

Antibiotics and the Nervous System—Which Face of Antibiotic Therapy Is Real, Dr. Jekyll (Neurotoxicity) or Mr. Hyde (Neuroprotection)?

Alicja Nowaczyk, Academic Editor

Abstract

Antibiotics as antibacterial drugs have saved many lives, but have also become a victim of their own success. Their widespread abuse reduces their anti-infective effectiveness and causes the development of bacterial resistance. Moreover, irrational antibiotic therapy contributes to gastrointestinal dysbiosis, that increases the risk of the development of many diseases, including neurological and psychiatric. One of the potential options for restoring homeostasis is the use of oral antibiotics that are poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract (e.g., rifaximin alfa). Thus, antibiotic therapy may exert neurological or psychiatric adverse drug reactions which are often considered to be overlooked and undervalued issues. Drug-induced neurotoxicity is mostly observed after beta-lactams and quinolones. Penicillin may produce a wide range of neurological dysfunctions, including encephalopathy, behavioral changes, myoclonus or seizures. Their pathomechanism results from the disturbances of gamma-aminobutyric acid-GABA transmission (due to the molecular similarities between the structure of the β-lactam ring and GABA molecule) and impairment of the functioning of benzodiazepine receptors (BZD). However, on the other hand, antibiotics have also been studied for their neuroprotective properties in the treatment of neurodegenerative and neuroinflammatory processes (e.g., Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s diseases). Antibiotics may, therefore, become promising elements of multi-targeted therapy for these entities.

Keywords: antibiotics, neurotoxicity, adverse drug reaction, neurotransmission

The full article is also available if you go to the link. 

Kind of hits home for me, as I did experience a set back after nearly 7 years off all my drugs.   I needed to do a strong course of Augmentin after a cat bite in the hand last October(2023).  Intravenously for the first 24 hours and then completed 7 days orally after.  I had done other antibiotics while tapering and since off all my drugs without problem.  

The full article is also available if you go to the link. 

I am improving, and have full hope of continuing my journey psychotropic medication free.   It just has been a tough late fall and into winter this year without a doubt.
I can even heal from neurotoxicity!  And will.  If that's what this has been all about.  One never really knows for sure.

(Thanks for posting originally @LostInCanada, hopefully I have all the essentials required for a post in From Journals and scientific sources included now 🙂 )

I do think it's a good article covering areas that have been studied regarding antibiotics and the nervous system.  Not conclusive, mind you, but of interest hopefully to many.   Non-specific as to any guidelines for applying to withdrawal and protracted withdrawal. 

Good to be awake and aware of the issues regarding antibiotics.  If they are needed for bacterial infections, there are always choices.

I might as well add in the link to members discussions around antibiotics here too:
Edited 24 minutes ago by manymoretodays
removed notification

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Edited by manymoretodays
linked to antibiotic topic, added back in the notification, after making a new topic

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy