AndyWithHope: Sertraline withdrawal tinnitus

AndyWithHope

Main gig:

Went from 12mg sertraline to 0 around the 20th March. Got tinnitus on left ear around 15th April, it got unbearable on Sat. 16th I took back 12mg.

On Tuesday 19th psyc recommended 25mg but I keep at 12mg (should I keep it and slowly go up? When?), tinnitus is a bit more silent and randomly disappears some seconds.

I’ve been feeling scared and since reinstating: nauseous, no appetite, zero libido, some small headache, waking up at 5am but I can still sleep. 

My story:

Hi this is my first post. Thank you for making this space to share this and possibly to inform others. 

October 2021: After seeing no progress from therapy for depression I went to the psychiatrist and started on Sertraline 25mg (although it could have been 50mg I don’t remember) plus Atomoxetine aka. Strattera 25mg.

20th November: Strattera to 40mg. It made feel depressed so I stopped it, probably by the end of December. 

2022:
Around July: tried Strattera again, same as before so I stopped it. 

Around August: I felt better than ever but still not wanting to be social. Likely I was on 25mg or 50mg Sertraline. 
Around September to December: I had no fear of drinking alcohol but I rarely did it. It made my heart race so I learned to not do that anymore. 

2023:

From January to November I felt incredibly well (according to sent messages) I began using how much I love cats as measure of how the antidepressant works lol. 

Around 20th October: Stopped Sertraline, I missed the psyc appointment and I was so afraid to just go to his office. So I tapered:

I went from 50mg to 25mg and then to 12mg every week to 0mg for like 5 days. 

Around this time I got eye floaters, I guess due to the fast taper and myopia. No other symptoms happened that time. 

7th November: got Covid and got better in 2 weeks. 
4th December: I began Equasym XR 10mg (aka MPH, concerta, Ritalin)

also went to a ophthalmologist, basically told me pay attention to the floaters.

2024:

4th January: Stopped MPH. 

23rd January: Psychiatrist talked about switching to fluoxetine 20mg 1 every 2 days. I tried 2 doses but I made me sweat like crazy while sleeping. Scared of it I went back to 25mg Sertraline. 

Around February: I was on 25mg Sertraline. But jumping to 12mg. Again, I wasn’t aware of how dumb that was and I’ve always been too shy to share it with the psychiatrist. 

March: Psychiatrist talked about leaving Sertraline next session but I was exited about it. BIG MISTAKE.

Around 20th March: I went 0mg from 12mg. 

I felt fine besides dry mouth, dry eyes some chest pain, light headaches and like 2 new eye floaters. Things I was used to while on sertraline; in the positive my muscles stopped being so stiff, I slept better, less obsessed with cats. 

4th April: I Googled “how to relieve tinnitus with head taps” I don’t remember why. 

15th April: that’s over 3 weeks of 0mg. A static noise began on the left ear, I thought it was the router. 
17th: I complained about tinnitus to a friend, hearable on silent rooms or while laying on bed. 
Sat. 20th: it became an acute noise, could hear it even around people. I found this site and some other stories. Panicked and been on 12mg Sertraline since then. 

Tue. 23rd: Psyc said to take 25mg for 2 months and then we’ll taper. I still keep taking 12mg I’ll see him on 14th May. Do you think I should rise to 25mg? Maybe in 2 weeks?

——

I’ve been panicking less today, sometimes it goes loud when laying on bed or not moving but it got slightly better. Also I get nauseous, it’s hard to eat despite the hunger, waking up too soon, the typical sertraline starting symptoms so far plus some mild headache. :(

I know this is likely permanent. I hope not. Right when I thought I was getting better and finally be free of meds… even though no medication worked for adhd hahah let’s forget that one.

Lesson learned the hard way: don’t play dumb with these meds, that should be printed on the box itself. 

2021 Nov.: sertraline 25mg

2022 - 2023: tried and stopped Atomoxetine 25mg then 40mg. Increased sertraline to 50mg

2023 Sep.: I missed an appointment, tapered Sertraline 50mg to 12mg: got eye floaters by Oct.

2023 Dec.- Jan.: Methylphenidate Chlorhydrate 

2024 Jan.: 2 doses of fluoxetine got back to 25mg Sertraline

2024 March: 12 mg Sertraline. Stopped CT around the 20th. 15th April I slowly got tinnitus after 3 weeks of feeling fine.

2024 March 16: Sertraline 12mg - current dose. 

• AndyWithHope changed the title to AndyWithHope: Sertraline withdrawal tinnitus

Hello @AndyWithHope, and welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

I would suggest you remain on 12.5mg for the foreseeable future. Your brain and nervous system needs to stabilise before you can taper off, otherwise you will experience unpleasant symptoms.

See:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tinnitus: What does all that noise mean?

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Update 27 April:

Is one week since reinstated. 12.5mg Sertraline. 

I feel less panic but I’m very depressed on the morning and noon, somehow the afternoon and evening I do feel ok. Still have nausea on the mornings but it’s much better now. 

Tinnitus is still there, slightly less severe but still annoying, it sounds like a high pitched grainy noise. Eye floaters seem the same maybe a bit darker. 

I feel enraged that I was never told there would be permanent damages, or how dangerous it could be. We hear how damaging alcohol or tobacco can be yet I only heard positive comments about ADs even from the doctor. 

Anyway, I have to keep strong. 

2021 Nov.: sertraline 25mg

2022 - 2023: tried and stopped Atomoxetine 25mg then 40mg. Increased sertraline to 50mg

2023 Sep.: I missed an appointment, tapered Sertraline 50mg to 12mg: got eye floaters by Oct.

2023 Dec.- Jan.: Methylphenidate Chlorhydrate 

2024 Jan.: 2 doses of fluoxetine got back to 25mg Sertraline

2024 March: 12 mg Sertraline. Stopped CT around the 20th. 15th April I slowly got tinnitus after 3 weeks of feeling fine.

2024 March 16: Sertraline 12mg - current dose.