IndigoBunting: Long Term Citalopram - Hoping to Begin Taper Soon

IndigoBunting

Posted (edited)

Well hello, 

My history with AD's began approximately 25 years ago with Zoloft. I began as a late teen and remained on it around 4-5 years. I did a self taper, and don't recall any long term effects. (Hard to say however, that was a long time ago and nothing in particular stands out.)

Fast forward to approx. 2012 and some anxiety/depression mentioned at the GP, and I was placed on escitalopram. It was a little pricey at the time, so I was switched to citalopram 40mg. I've basically "maintained" at that dose up to about 2 years ago. A lot of life stressors came about. I did a Genesight test and thought maybe I would have better results by switching to something else. It was suggested by another GP to switch from citalopram to duloxetine. She advised me to just stop the citalopram and the next day start the duloxetine. As you can imagine, that went south. I finally sought help from a psychiatrist and she got me back to citalopram 40mg. 

So much happened during this time frame. I did buspirone a while. No real effects from that so it was stopped with no residual effects. In December of 22, I went on lamotrigine 50 mg. This wasn't good for me. It took months to figure it out. By August 23, I was exhausted and had bouts of tachycardia. I switched to a new GP. She ran blood tests and I was found to be very anemic. Also diagnosed with uterine fibroids. I began losing a lot of hair in the fall. By December of 23, I'd decided to come off lamotrigine. I went down to 25mg for about 2 weeks and then cut it completely. After which, I began to feel a bit better. My iron is better, my hair's growing back in, etc.

So here I am and I am just wondering about beginning a slow taper. I had an appt. last Friday with my psych and brought it up. She made sure the timing isn't bad from a stress standpoint. She is doing some thinking and will get back to me about a plan. Initially, she mentioned cutting a few mg. for a few days. then a couple mg for another few days. Since I've been here, I know know that I want to go much slower than that. She's pretty open to suggestions, so I'm hoping for some good support from her.

For what it's worth, I know I have a mutation of the MTHFR gene. In addition to my discontinuation of lamotrigine, I stopped my B Complex and ferrous sulfate. I replaced with methylfolate for a month before adding a liquid methyl b12 and iron byglycinate. This has also helped me feel more stable. I think the b complex was causing issues in hindsight.

I'm sure I forgot something, but I'm glad to be here and looking forward to learning some stuff and having some support. 😀

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Sertraline 1999-2003

Citalopram 40 mg 2012 - May 2024

Buspirone 2021-22 

4/22 Citalopram to Duloxetine, unsuccessful (GP instructions, hard switch.)

Lamotrigine 50mg 12/2022- 12/2023. 

Current supplements: methylfolate, vitamin d3, methyl b12 liquid, iron byglycinate, cal/mag/zinc/d3, cod liver oil

sumatriptan for migraines as needed

perimenopausal

Citalopram taper began 2024/05/14 - 37mg > 2024/06/12 - 33mg > 2024/07/10 - 30mg > 2024/08/07 - 27mg > 2024/09/03 - 24mg

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

--------Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ--------

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

--------From the Symptoms and Self-Care Forums--------

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Not currently active

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - Apr 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 2 year 5 month hold, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 Mar 2024, Start tapering - 24 Apr 2024, reached 52.5mg before crashing hard 13 Aug 2024 - reinstate back to 58mg and hold - tapered too fast.

Current dose: 58mg  (1 Sep 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

Read the links I've posted on tapering, and also the topic on tapering citalopram in the tapering forum. Given your long term antidepressant use I would suggest a conservative start point of 5% with your taper. Better to start off with a smaller cut, than to do a big one and all hell break loose.

Not currently active

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - Apr 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 2 year 5 month hold, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 Mar 2024, Start tapering - 24 Apr 2024, reached 52.5mg before crashing hard 13 Aug 2024 - reinstate back to 58mg and hold - tapered too fast.

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

My response from my psych:

"I have finally gotten a few minutes to do a little research about a taper schedule.

So it seems like there are several different strategies: some more aggressive- dropping by 25 or even 50% at a time and staying there for about a week. 

The strategy I recommend is dropping by about 10% and staying there for about a week- this is kind of like we talked about, but at higher doses, you drop more and then you get down to the 1 mg at a time. 

You have the 40 mg to break in half, 10 mg tablets and then a solution (which is 2 mg / mL.) You will want a syringe that goes to the mL for measuring this out.

I would recommend going to 35 mg and staying there for a week ->30 mg and staying for a week -> 27 mg (20 + 1/2 10 mg + 1 mL of solution) -> 24 mg (20 + 2 mL) -> 22 mg (20 mg + 1 mL) -> 20 mg (20) -> 18 mg (10 mg + 1/2 10 mg + 1.5 mL solution) -> 16 mL (10 mg +1/2 10 mg + 0.5 mL solution) -> 14 mL (10 mg + 2 mL solution) -> 13 mg (10 mg + 1.5 mL) -> 12 mg (10 mg + 1 mL) -> 11 mg (10 mg + 0.5 mL solution) -> 10 mg (10 mg) -> 9 mg (1/2 10 mg + 2 mL) -> 8 mg (1/2 10 mg + 1.5 mL) -> 7 mg (1/2 10 mg + 1 mL) -> 6 mg (1/2 10 mg + 0.5 mL) -> 5 mg (1/2 10 mg) 

At this point you are going to be all on liquid. I would recommend then doing a week at 2 mL, a week at 1.5 mL, a week at 1 mL and then a week at 0.5 mL. 

All of this is quite fluid as you can go back up to the last tolerated dose if experiencing symptoms. If staying less than a week or longer than a week seems desirable, then you do that. At this pace you are looking at about 5 to 6 months. I do think you could be more aggressive if you wanted to. 

Let me know what you think!"

My reply to my psych:

"Thank you so much for taking the time to research this for me. I've been doing some research of my own and have found a peer support website with a lot of years and collective experience from folks doing tapers. https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/

I feel like 10% is a good place to start. However, I'd like to stay at that dose for longer to give my body time to cycle through the month and perhaps show if any lagging effects might show up. I'd rather go slower and not have to increase, than to jump too much and find in 3-4 weeks I'm in a bad way. 

I'd love to be off sooner than later, but I'm trying to take into consideration my sensitive nature and not work against myself. I've been on it for such a long time.

There is also a tracking log I want to implement to pay closer attention to withdrawal effects:

So what are your thoughts on starting at 35 and holding for approximately a month and making a decision at that point for the following month? I guess I could do half a 40mg (20) and 1 and ½ of the 10mg (15) to make the 35mg, correct?"
 ---------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone here have any thoughts/advice? 

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

Current supplements: methylfolate, vitamin d3, methyl b12 liquid, iron byglycinate, cal/mag/zinc/d3, cod liver oil

perimenopausal

Citalopram taper began 2024/05/14 - 37mg > 2024/06/12 - 33mg > 2024/07/10 - 30mg > 2024/08/07 - 27mg > 2024/09/03 - 24mg

3 hours ago, IndigoBunting said:

My response from my psych:

"I have finally gotten a few minutes to do a little research about a taper schedule.

So it seems like there are several different strategies: some more aggressive- dropping by 25 or even 50% at a time and staying there for about a week. 

The strategy I recommend is dropping by about 10% and staying there for about a week- this is kind of like we talked about, but at higher doses, you drop more and then you get down to the 1 mg at a time. 

You have the 40 mg to break in half, 10 mg tablets and then a solution (which is 2 mg / mL.) You will want a syringe that goes to the mL for measuring this out.

I would recommend going to 35 mg and staying there for a week ->30 mg and staying for a week -> 27 mg (20 + 1/2 10 mg + 1 mL of solution) -> 24 mg (20 + 2 mL) -> 22 mg (20 mg + 1 mL) -> 20 mg (20) -> 18 mg (10 mg + 1/2 10 mg + 1.5 mL solution) -> 16 mL (10 mg +1/2 10 mg + 0.5 mL solution) -> 14 mL (10 mg + 2 mL solution) -> 13 mg (10 mg + 1.5 mL) -> 12 mg (10 mg + 1 mL) -> 11 mg (10 mg + 0.5 mL solution) -> 10 mg (10 mg) -> 9 mg (1/2 10 mg + 2 mL) -> 8 mg (1/2 10 mg + 1.5 mL) -> 7 mg (1/2 10 mg + 1 mL) -> 6 mg (1/2 10 mg + 0.5 mL) -> 5 mg (1/2 10 mg) 

At this point you are going to be all on liquid. I would recommend then doing a week at 2 mL, a week at 1.5 mL, a week at 1 mL and then a week at 0.5 mL. 

All of this is quite fluid as you can go back up to the last tolerated dose if experiencing symptoms. If staying less than a week or longer than a week seems desirable, then you do that. At this pace you are looking at about 5 to 6 months. I do think you could be more aggressive if you wanted to. 

Let me know what you think!"

My reply to my psych:

"Thank you so much for taking the time to research this for me. I've been doing some research of my own and have found a peer support website with a lot of years and collective experience from folks doing tapers. https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/

I feel like 10% is a good place to start. However, I'd like to stay at that dose for longer to give my body time to cycle through the month and perhaps show if any lagging effects might show up. I'd rather go slower and not have to increase, than to jump too much and find in 3-4 weeks I'm in a bad way. 

I'd love to be off sooner than later, but I'm trying to take into consideration my sensitive nature and not work against myself. I've been on it for such a long time.

There is also a tracking log I want to implement to pay closer attention to withdrawal effects:

So what are your thoughts on starting at 35 and holding for approximately a month and making a decision at that point for the following month? I guess I could do half a 40mg (20) and 1 and ½ of the 10mg (15) to make the 35mg, correct?"
 ---------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone here have any thoughts/advice? 

Your plan is fine, please remember that the speed you taper is your own choice, not the choice of your practitioner. Sometimes I think it is easier not to tell them and just go about tapering on your own, otherwise you may feel rushed.

Not currently active

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

• Emonda changed the title to IndigoBunting: Long Term Citalopram - Hoping to Begin Taper Soon

I still have not began the taper yet. I'm still awaiting a response from the psych. A little disappointing.

I'm also phasing into PMS for the month, and I really struggle post ovulation with low mood/exhaustion.

On a bright note, I have walked 30 minutes 4 different days this past week :D 

I'm pessimistic this will work. It's good to see that there's so many folks here that can support one another, but it's also very daunting to see just how terribly some of ya'll have suffered and for such a long time. I doubt my abilities to do this. I want it so bad though because I look back and really think, "if I'd have just had bloodwork done, took some supplements and had therapy, I'd have never needed this crap." Here I am at 41 and I feel like maybe I've wasted some time not living authentically.

Once upon a time, I told myself I'd take meds til I died if I needed to. But after this much time, I really don't even know if they're doing me any good. How do you know if you're "pooped out"? I'm afraid I've been apathetic about some things and not realized it. I've had more depression and anxiety in the last 5 years than the rest of my life, but most of that has had underlying real life issues. 

Hope I'm making the right decision.

Thanks for reading my random thoughts.

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

You don't need cooperation from a psychiatrist in order to taper.

Not currently active

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

So still not having heard from the Dr by end of yesterday, I went ahead and reduced last night. I took half my 40 mg (20), 1 and 1/2 10 mg (15) and 1ml liquid. (36 mg total).

This is where I plan to hang out for a month. This morning, my right arm, both hands fingertips are tingling. A bit tingly also in my feet. I am a little surprised for such a quick reaction. 

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

Hi @IndigoBunting

Welcome to SA. 

Sorry for what has brought you here, and glad you've found us! 

Erimus has provided you with solid advice and useful links. Have you had a chance to read through the various help topics?

4 hours ago, IndigoBunting said:

So still not having heard from the Dr by end of yesterday, I went ahead and reduced last night. I took half my 40 mg (20), 1 and 1/2 10 mg (15) and 1ml liquid. (36 mg total).

This is where I plan to hang out for a month. This morning, my right arm, both hands fingertips are tingling. A bit tingly also in my feet. I am a little surprised for such a quick reaction. 

This may be a sign that your first cut was too big. 

Keep in mind that you have only recently done a rapid taper (much faster than SA guidelines) off of lamotrigine, which has most likely left your system destabilized and sensitized. 

Thus you may very well be going into an AD taper with some pre-existing underlying withdrawal / lingering sequelae from the lamotrigine.

The misguided duloxetine switch 2 years ago probably didn't do your nervous system any favors, either. 

Such stressors on the body are cumulative; their effects add up over time and contribute to increasing one's risk profile.

I'd err on the side of caution and go very gradually. When it comes to tapering, slower is often faster and incomparably more livable. 

I agree with Erimus on this one: 

On 5/7/2024 at 11:30 PM, Erimus said:

Given your long term antidepressant use I would suggest a conservative start point of 5% with your taper. Better to start off with a smaller cut, than to do a big one and all hell break loose.

And this may be obvious, but it bears repeating -- your psychiatrist's so-called recommended strategy (as quoted by you earlier in your thread) is clueless at best and dangerous at worst. I wouldn't touch that suggestion with a 10-foot pole.

It's fortunate you found SA in time to give you a fair shot at tapering using a proper harm-reduction method, as opposed to being relegated to your doctor's ignorance putting you at risk. I'm sorry you've had such poor counsel from multiple practitioners, both your GP and your psychiatrist. 

Again, to quote Erimus: 

On 5/9/2024 at 6:38 PM, Erimus said:

please remember that the speed you taper is your own choice, not the choice of your practitioner. Sometimes I think it is easier not to tell them and just go about tapering on your own, otherwise you may feel rushed.

18 hours ago, Erimus said:

You don't need cooperation from a psychiatrist in order to taper.

As a minimum you need access to a prescription so that you can continue to get your drugs for the duration of your taper. 

Many members here don't inform their doctors they're tapering and simply keep getting their meds prescribed as usual, tapering privately on their own. 

That's really up to each individual to determine what works for them or not in terms of communication with their prescriber. 

If you do want to continue with your current psychiatrist and maintain transparency, I'd suggest you get yourself (and maybe your doctor) a copy of Dr. Mark Horowitz' recently published handbook on how to safely stop psychiatric drugs, titled the Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines. You can use this for your own reference and, if need be, you can bring your copy of the book to doctor's appointments to help explain how you're conducting your taper.  

(description below copied from Horowitz' website)

The handbook is written for psychiatrists, general practitioners, nurses, pharmacists, or anyone involved in the care of people with mental health conditions, as well as interested members of the public (it may be the perfect gift for your prescriber) and outlines step-by-step instructions for how to safely stop all commonly used antidepressants, benzodiazepines, gabapentinoinds and z-drugs, with fast, moderate and slow schedules and how to modify these for an individual. 

The handbook explains the broad principles about tapering psychiatric medications including the benefits of gradual tapering, why it makes sense to taper more slowly at lower doses (hyperbolic tapering), how to manage withdrawal effects (and minimise them) and tips and tricks for the process, including troubleshooting the problems that can arise on reducing these medications. 

It covers about 50 commonly used psychiatric medications (...)

Good luck, indigo, you got this!

In solidarity and support,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

3 hours ago, Ariel said:

Erimus has provided you with solid advice and useful links. Have you had a chance to read through the various help topics?

Yes, I've been perusing around quite a bit :) 

3 hours ago, Ariel said:

This may be a sign that your first cut was too big. 

Keep in mind that you have only recently done a rapid taper (much faster than SA guidelines) off of lamotrigine, which has most likely left your system destabilized and sensitized. 

Thus you may very well be going into an AD taper with some pre-existing underlying withdrawal / lingering sequelae from the lamotrigine.

The misguided duloxetine switch 2 years ago probably didn't do your nervous system any favors, either. 

Such stressors on the body are cumulative; their effects add up over time and contribute to increasing one's risk profile.

Makes sense. My life stress 2 years ago minus any drug changes was enough to wreck my nervous system. My son went through a terrible depression. That's the reason I wanted to do Cymbalta in the first place, because I thought I needed something different to cope better. Same with lamotrigine. Overall lately, in comparison to the year I spent on lamotrigine, I've felt more stable than in quite some time. It took me a long time plus some other health issues/mood dysregulation to realize that lamotrigine was not a good fit for me. Since stopping it in December, coming off a multi B Complex, beginning one at a time with methyl folate and then small dose liquid methyl b12, I'm feeling calmer, more put together, have better energy, concentration, etc.

Son is amazingly well now btw, thank the good LORD!

On 5/7/2024 at 5:30 PM, Erimus said:

Given your long term antidepressant use I would suggest a conservative start point of 5% with your taper. Better to start off with a smaller cut, than to do a big one and all hell break loose.

TBH, I remember reading this, but I think I forgot about it when I got so hooked on the 10% I kept reading about. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, Ariel said:

As a minimum you need access to a prescription so that you can continue to get your drugs for the duration of your taper. 

Many members here don't inform their doctors they're tapering and simply keep getting their meds prescribed as usual, tapering privately on their own. 

That's really up to each individual to determine what works for them or not in terms of communication with their prescriber. 

I can see why as it's been a day since I called to ask if my response to the doctor's original email was received, asked for a counter response, and have yet to hear. I really appreciated her help when I was in dire straights with the terrible cymbalta switch from the GP a couple of years ago. But she is not the best at communication via email, as this isn't the first time it's happened.

I appreciate your response and encouragement. :D 

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

I realized last night I'd made a miscalculation. 🙃

My liquid is 5mg/10ml. I took 1 ml liquid with the tablet splits. So I actually have taken 37mg, not 36.  So an unintentional slower taper, which I count as a good thing.

I've also determined to perceive this beginning phase as my first window. Tingles are gone today. Mood's good and I walked again on lunch 😎

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

On 5/16/2024 at 6:22 PM, IndigoBunting said:

I've also determined to perceive this beginning phase as my first window.

Love this, that's the spirit!

On 5/16/2024 at 6:22 PM, IndigoBunting said:

Tingles are gone today. Mood's good and I walked again on lunch 😎

Great attitude, well done! 

You got this, @IndigoBunting <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

Thanks so much!!

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

One week in. Things are good! Quirky thing I've noticed: I have a hard time typing. The connections from my thoughts to my fingers are misfiring a lot. I'm typing letters out of order. 🤔 I believe I noticed this when I began lamotrigine back in '22, along with seeing letters out of order while reading, almost like dyslexia? 

Our brains are so weired <--- see what i did there. 😅

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

Hi @IndigoBunting

1 hour ago, IndigoBunting said:

Our brains are so weired <--- see what i did there. 😅

Ha! Thanks for making me laugh <3

One week in. Things are good!

Glad to hear it. 

Quirky thing I've noticed: I have a hard time typing. The connections from my thoughts to my fingers are misfiring a lot. I'm typing letters out of order. 🤔 I believe I noticed this when I began lamotrigine back in '22, along with seeing letters out of order while reading, almost like dyslexia? 

I'm familiar with these phenomena. WD-brain/nervous system does wild things. 

Sometimes when I hear about people's voluntary psilocybin or LSD trips I'm like, whatevs, you want psychedelic? try WD. 

It sounds like your spirits are up and you're maintaining a constructive attitude. A sense of humor will serve you well on this journey. 

You're doing great work, Indigo, keep going <3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

I went the full 4 weeks at 37mg. Besides what I listed above about the tingles, there was maybe a little tinnitus, a couple days where I had down/spiraling feelings. But honestly, that's me regardless of meds! Two days ago I went to 33mg. I'm gonna try to hang out here another 4 weeks go coincide with the lady timetable.

The summer heat is making me want to not walk as much, but I'm still pushing through. I'm doing one less lap (so 2 laps at .6 miles, was doing 3) at a slower pace. I'd like to push a little harder. I feel like I'm "waking up" a bit. Mood is generally higher. Energy levels are better. Walking and taking what I've decided on so far as supplements has helped a ton! Overall, I'm feeling really good. 😎

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

• 3 weeks later...

Memories:

I have no good way to describe in words what is happening on a subtle level in my mind with memories. There are moments when out of the clear blue, with no logical connection, a memory will come up. I almost don't think calling them a "memory" describes them. It's like an image of a moment back in time that comes to mind. Something I haven't thought of in a long time. It brings an emotion of nostalgia kind of. I've heard it said, "men's brain's are waffles, women's are spaghetti." Men generally compartmentalize, women have an interconnected ball of strings. 

A couple of years ago, when my GP did a hard switch from Celexa to Cymbalta, after a few weeks my withdrawals created something similar, but on an extreme level that brought forth feelings of doom. This time is way easier and I don't really consider it bothersome. Just noteworthy that things are bubbling up.

Restructering:

There is also this feeling of "unwinding" or peeling back layers, kinda like an onion. Again, these things are so hard to put into words. I wish I could for my own sake just to make it feel solid. Maybe like thoughts, or maybe the processing of them, are reordering. 

I had this thought recently: I wonder if I even processed my father's death. I always had a disconnect form him for complicated reasons. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2019 and passed 7 months later prior to COVID. I reacted in extreme anxiety during his illness, and found his passing a relief in many ways. But I am now wondering how differently things would have been at the time had I been med free. It really could have gone a number of ways. But I've never really grieved his death in what I would consider "normal". A caveat to this is I have suspected myself of having ASD, though I've decided not to go through any diagnostics for it. If I am, I am. It would explain a LOT.

I am finding that I feel things a little deeper. I've always been empathetic to people's circumstances in words, on a surface level. Now I am sort of "feeling" what their experience might be like within their minds.

I am dreaming more, or remembering the dreams more. I'm not sure which. They are more vivid. And strange.

There have been a few days, tending to be on the downslope of the lady cycle, where it is difficult to feel happy. I have to sort of CHOOSE joy. On the other side, there have been some really outstanding days when I feel pretty great! The bad day aren't as common as the good ones.

This is an interesting process. (I have no idea if anything I just said makes any sense 🙃)

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

• 3 weeks later...

My most recent cut from 33 to 30 involved cutting the liquid completely since i can get 30 mg from tablets alone. This cut has been challenging. There's been some light-headedness, chest pain, general body buzzing. Just moments, not all day. Some morning dread. Some catastrophizing moreso than what is typical. But there has also been some joy and contentedness. Definitely more emotions. My husband and son know I'm tapering and are being patient. I'm thankful and grateful. There's times I feel a lot more laid back. There's times I feel a lot more uptight. There's times I feel happy and just look at something like a rabbit on the trail I walk, or my dog or cat and just feel so thankful for the goodness in the world, God's blessings. And then there's times like grocery shopping after doomscrolling and I'm ready to sit on the ground and pour because of the sadness in the world.

I was proud of myself last night after grabbing groceries for my Mom. I got home and told myself, "I feel a meltdown coming".

I went straight inside and told my family I was struggling instead of trying to muster thru on my own. I cried and vented and they hugged and supported me. It was a relief. I also had an honest conversation with my son about something that had been nagging me and making me fearful. He took no offense and instead suggested I be more direct with him and not worry about his feelings getting hurt.

Anyhow.. I'm sad I have been on meds so long, but am glad that I have support and am experiencing joy with sadness and finding some mornings calm and without dread. I'm glad it's not all bad. 

God bless y'all. May He shine His face on each of you and give you peace today and as you walk this road of healing. I for one can attest that He is good and loving.

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

• 3 weeks later...

Sumatriptan 

Does anyone have any input or advice on what to do if I'm tapering off ssri but get migraines and typically use sumatriptan? I almost feel like I should try to avoid it as not to throw a wrench in my withdrawal. Last week I got a mean migraine and used 3 tablets in 24 hours. The next day I was lightheaded. 

Which do you think is the lesser of 2 evils? Goodys powder with a lot of caffeine or sumatriptan that affects my serotonin level?

Thanks in advance ☺️ 

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

I'm three months in!

I've noticed way more about my moods and my menstrual cycle. You'd think after doing the same thing monthly for decades, I would have caught on to more, but maybe we just don't always notice. I feel pretty sure I have pmdd. Trying to be aware of any potential withdrawal symptoms has helped me see more clearly the patterns I'm going through.

I'm continuing to walk and I feel it's been a game changer in general for me. I notice some evenings I get agitated with a variety of things and get anxious. I get tinnitus occasionally. I get lightheaded/dizzy occasionally. My cycle is off and came early and is much lighter than usual. I think I have a little more sensitivity to histamine, but not in the way of sinus issues. Last month when I dropped my dose, my chest itched on and off during the day for a few days. I had a similar issue years back before I was told by a Chinese medical practitioner I had histamine intolerance. I also get bladder flairs from what I think is interstitial cystitis. Sometimes I feel a slight buzz under my skin. 

On the positive side, I find myself more settled at times, thinking more clearly, hearing a lot less mental noise. I feel like I'm a better employee and I'm more social and don't get stuck in mental spirals as quickly. I comprehend better when I read. I hear lyrics more when I listen to music. I process information better. 

A year ago I was in such a horrible place. It was life circumstances but I also believe the lamotrigine I had been on for months had me all twisted up physically and mentally. I'm glad I decided to stop it and saw the positive changes which led eventually to the realization that citalopram was possibly not serving me. 

I have a dear friend who suffers so badly with her anxiety and I worry her meds aren't serving her either. I really hope she can find what will work for her soon as she's really been in a rut a long time. 

My son is also on 3 meds. I pray that it will be in his future to be able to get off them. He's currently doing well mentally. Maybe if this is successful for me, he will consider making that decision for himself.

I'm happy I'm on this journey of recovery. It's already proving to be the right decision with all the positives I mentioned above. I'm extremely grateful I found this site in order to have the information on how to quit these meds the easier way. ❤️

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

• 1 month later...

Month 4 down. Things are good for the most part. Migraines seem a little more intense. I began cod liver oil to help any w/d, and its supposed to help migraines also.

My son has been exhausted and was put on vitamin d. He then asked his psych if his lamotrigine could be causing it. She has lowered his dose a bit, so I'm happy he's trending in the right direction.

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal

• 3 weeks later...

This month has proven to be hard. I'm temperamental and pissy. I'm catastrophizing more than usual. I want the spring back.. not the autumn. I'm getting frustrated with people and having a hard time feeling joy 

Sertraline 1999-2003

Buspirone 2021-22 

perimenopausal