Hello. I wanted to try once again to taper off all my meds slowly. Psychiatry has caused a lot of damage to me since the late 90s. My pdoc is willing to try to work with me. He wants me to go from 800 mg Seroquel ER to 750 mg Seroquel ER on May 13, 2024 and for at least 2 weeks. I'm afraid of having insomnia again, as I believe this is the hardest side effect to eliminate. Does anyone have a way to withdrawal insomnia? Thanks.

Started 20 mg Prozac in late 1997, in 1999 I was given more psych meds

Effexor, Serzone, Buspar, Celexa, Klonopin, no polypharmacy

Started Wellbutrin and got mania and had to go to psych hospital

Started 1000 mg of Depakote and 2.5 mg Zyprexa in hospital

Would get a lot of psych drugs such as Lamictal, Trileptal, Risperdal, Topamax, Lithium, Trazadone which harmed me more

In the 2010s, I was on 1000 mg Depakote and 3 mg Klonopin

Now I hope I can find a doctor that understands the concepts here, and withdraw from everything slowly, which is what is shown below

June 15, 2024 - 1000 mg Depakote ER, 800 mg Seroquel ER, 3 mg Klonopin,.25 mg Requip, 2 mg Cogentin, 300 mg Trazadone

June 23, 2024 - 1000 mg Depakote ER, 700 mg Seroquel ER, 3 mg Klonopin,.25 mg Requip, 2 mg Cogentin, 300 mg Trazadone

For most of my years, I've been on Depakote ER and Klonopin and lots of SSRIs. The problem was that the pdocs would cold turkey me off the meds. At some point I'd be in the hospital and out of the hospital. I've only been on Seroquel ER once so I haven't been going on and going off that med. I think that's what kindling means. What did you mean by more activating drugs? Thanks.

Would get a lot of psych drugs such as Lamictal, Trileptal, Risperdal, Topamax, Lithium, Trazadone which harmed me more

Now I hope I can find a doctor that understands the concepts here, and withdraw from everything slowly, which is what is shown below

June 15, 2024 - 1000 mg Depakote ER, 800 mg Seroquel ER, 3 mg Klonopin,.25 mg Requip, 2 mg Cogentin, 300 mg Trazadone

June 23, 2024 - 1000 mg Depakote ER, 700 mg Seroquel ER, 3 mg Klonopin,.25 mg Requip, 2 mg Cogentin, 300 mg Trazadone

• Erimus changed the title to Palperro: I need help
Posted (edited)

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:39 PM, Palperro said:

Does anyone have a way to withdrawal insomnia? Thanks.

The best way to reudce withdrawal symptoms is a gradual taper. We recommend no more than 10% of your current dose each month. So your first drop from 800mg to 750mg is 6.25%, which is fine. I wouldn't suggest doing another 50mg drop after only 2 weeks, like your doctor planned.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:47 PM, Palperro said:

The problem was that the pdocs would cold turkey me off the meds.

Many people here have been misdiagnosed due to ill-informed tapers suggested by their medication providers. If you follow our guidelines you are much more likely to succeed in coming off medication.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:47 PM, Palperro said:

What did you mean by more activating drugs?

It's often suggested to taper the most activating drugs first, so sleep is less affected. In your case I would be more interested in reducing the antipsychotic medication, as it is the most harmful long term.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

--------Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ--------

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

--------From the Symptoms and Self-Care Forums--------

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose: 55.09mg  (1 July 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Thanks Erimus. I see my pdoc next week. Any attempt to sleep is met with insomnia. When Seroquel was introduced, I finally got rid of my insomnia. But the Seroquel has too many side effects. I thought the last dose of Seroquel would be the last of the entire taper, but they want Seroquel to be the first drug to taper. I'm also confused because I take Seroquel ER instead of regular Seroquel. I didn't think you could use a compound pharmacy on any extended release medication.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Palperro said:

Thanks Erimus. I see my pdoc next week. Any attempt to sleep is met with insomnia. When Seroquel was introduced, I finally got rid of my insomnia. But the Seroquel has too many side effects. I thought the last dose of Seroquel would be the last of the entire taper, but they want Seroquel to be the first drug to taper. I'm also confused because I take Seroquel ER instead of regular Seroquel. I didn't think you could use a compound pharmacy on any extended release medication.

You won't need to compound any medication for some time yet. Just ask your prescriber for a combination of strengths in order to make up your required dose.

It is your choice which drug to taper first, if you want to leave the seroquel in order to aid sleep then choose a different drug to reduce. Whatever the case, the same tapering suggestions apply.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 March 2024, Start tapering - 24 April 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Erimus. My next pdoc session is a few days away. There's a lot of pdocs listed here and neighbor sites. I feel like I need to put all of the trusted doctors from these lists and just contact everyone from A to Z and hope to get results.

• 4 weeks later...

I am on 700 mg of Seroquel ER. The last dose I was on was 750 mg.  How do I start a slow taper off of Seroquel ER?

Can someone please show me the technique to get off of Seroquel or Seroquel ER?

5 hours ago, Palperro said:

I am on 700 mg of Seroquel ER. The last dose I was on was 750 mg.  How do I start a slow taper off of Seroquel ER?

You can reduce by 50mg to 650mg. You will need to ask your prescriber for a variety of different dose sizes in order to achieve 650mg. I don't know what size the tablets come in, you will need to ask that.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS: