Histamine food intolerance

GiaK

Hello,

has anyone tried anti-histamine drugs for histamine intolerance?

i wasn't on a certain drug all the period. i took many drugs many times and for no very long period but to simplify.

--fluvoxamine maleate100 mg + amisulpride 200mg------started july 2012 and total taper in february 2015 ( 9 months without drugs then)

--sertraline 100mg -------started november 2015 and total taper (withoud reduction slowly) in november 2016( 4 months withoud drugs then).

--sertraline 100mg + quetiabine 25mg ( started in mars 2016 and for 7 months) then fluvoxamine maleate 100mg again for another 7months and after that a something like to use every drug for 14 days and for about 1.5 years.

--my last drug was trintellix 10 mg ( used it in 12/2018and total taper in 4/2019).

symptomts i have now ( bad concentration and problems in short and long memory+ bad depersonalization).

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

On Facebook, people going off mirtazapine, which is anti-cholinergic, seem to be reported an unusual frequency of histamine intolerance (a food intolerance), which might be an aspect of cholinergic or histaminic rebound in mirtazpine withdrawal syndrome.

It is possible that the action of antipsychotics becomes more anti-cholinergic at lower doses, producing sleepiness and fogginess, but it's unclear where the dividing line may be. 

See 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Antipsychotic & antidepressant withdrawal & histamine
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

On Facebook, people going off mirtazapine, which is anti-cholinergic, seem to be reported an unusual frequency of histamine intolerance (a food intolerance), which might be an aspect of cholinergic or histaminic rebound in mirtazpine withdrawal syndrome.

It is possible that the action of antipsychotics becomes more anti-cholinergic at lower doses, producing sleepiness and fogginess, but it's unclear where the dividing line may be. 

See 

Yup.. Mirtazapine withdrawal has really affected my histamine and adrenal processing and I can relate to what the OP summarizes even 3 years post CT withdrawal.

Interestingly enough, acupuncture has really helped tame the fight/flight response and temperature sensitivity, so the histamine flare-ups (mainly due to weather changes) have been more manageable.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 9:44 AM, lucyinthesky said:

Therefore, withdrawing from histamine-blocking medications (Zyprexa/Seroquel) is associated with increased histamine (as the blocking effect is reduced, histamine levels become elevated).

Thank you, thank you for this post. It really resonates with me. I am not tapering off Seroquel, but am having similar difficulties with mirtazapine. 

Like Seroquel, mirtazapine is essentially 2 different drugs at high vs low doses. Seroquel is an antipsychotic at high doses and sedating at low doses. Mirtaz is activating at high doses (< 30 mg) because it is an alpha 2 agonist (blocks norepinephrine and some serotonin). But at low doses (7.5 mg and lower) it bonds almost exclusively to the H1 (histamine) receptor. Making it one of the strongest antihistamines in the world. This is why it is so sedating and causes weight gain. 

It also bonds to HT2 (blocking serotonin), but much less exclusively, particularly below 7.5 mg.

(Read The Last Psychiatrist's papers on the mode of action of Seroquel and on why mirtazapine is so sedating in his blog post about sleep. He explains things much better than me!)

Some reports suggest that mirtazapine has upwards of 95% occupancy of the H1 receptor at 7.5 mg. This means that from 7.5 mg down, to taper is to fall off a cliff, and to greatly expose oneself to histamine that had formerly been blocked by the antihistamine affect of mirtazapine. 

This reflects my experience tapering off mirtazapine. From 22.5 to 7.5 mg (at 10% / month) my wd symptoms were relatively minor and of the agitation, irritability, and anxiety variety. Because receptor binding is linear up in this dose range, I was losing approx. 1% receptor occupancy with each drop. 

From 7.5 mg to 6.75 mg everything changed. This is where occupancy becomes exponential.  I calculate that I lost, at minimum, 7.5% H1 occupancy in my first 10% drop. That's 7.5x more than any of my previous drops. That's a lot of excess histamine to process. 

The first 14 days followed my 'normal' pattern: agitation, anxiety, and irritability. But worse. Then, on day 21 a new set of symptoms arrived: shaking, nausea, adrenaline surges, headache, diarrhea, and sweating. These are histamine-mediated and so I wonder if I am now basically swimming in histamine along with adjusting to lower serotonin? 

The sad truth is that no one knows. At least in the scientific literature. No one really know what mirtazapine does. And no one really knows what to do about all this excess histamine. My doctor literally snorted when I suggested this. 

We are all in this together. Trying to make sense of what is happening to our bodies and our minds. The fact is, mirtazapine is very different from the other SSRIs in terms of its mode of action and receptor binding affinities and perhaps excess histamine is one of issues when tapering off. 

I am going to explore the low histamine diet and other supplements that digest histamine. That and significantly slow down my taper! 

So, thank you lucyinthesky! 

Antidepressant (mirtazapine):

2015-2016: 22.5 mg 

2016/17: 10% taper / month to 15 mg

2018: 10% taper / month to 7.5 mg

2018-2022: 7.5 mg 

7.5 mg > 6.75 mg (08.03.22) > 6.55 (19.08.22) > 6.375 (12.09.22) > 6.12 (10.10.22) > 5.83 (04.11.22) > 5.51 (29.11.22) > 5.3 (10.03.23) > 5.2 (07. 04.23) > 5.1 (21.04.23) > 4.91 (15.09.23) > 4.75 (03.09.23) > 4.56 (27.09.23) >  4.35 (27.10.23) > 4.14 (22.11.23) > 3.94 (18.12.23) > 3.75 (17.01.24)

Other meds:

- since 2007: 2.5 mg Zoplicone, pn, for sleep 

- 1994-2022: 12.5 mg trazodone pn for sleep. Developed serotonin toxicity with mirtazapine @ 6.75 mg; CT trazodone Apr. 9, 2022. 

Supplements:

- omega-3 (900 mcg / day); Mg bisglycinate (150 mg 2x day); vitamin D; probiotic (Flora Symmetry), vitamin C (500 mg/day) 

• 2 weeks later...

After tapering Seroquel over 3 years and 4 months, ending August 1 2021, I seem to have developed a really nasty histamine intolerance or sensitivity. Right now I have to wear an N95 any time I leave the house because allergy season is tipping me over the edge which I have never had to do. Currently I am having to take Allegra twice daily to keep things at bay. I have drifted into stage 2 anaphylaxis 3 times now and had to use benadryl and oxygen as rescue medications. I am working with an immunologist for some testing for MCAS and a few other things and am going to see a functional nutritionist who specializes in dealing with these sorts of things. I am also using acupuncture. It's been crazy and a bit scary as none of my doctors really know what to do so I am largely dealing with this on my own and with input from this website. It feels a bit like flying a plane in the clouds with nothing but an altimeter. All I can do is try to fly high enough to not hit a mountain until I come out of the clouds and can see around me again. My immunologist is not back in the office until May and my next appointment is not until June 7. I have already started a low histamine diet but it has not been enough to calm things in combination with allergy season hence the Allegra twice a day. So, whether this is withdrawal related, an exacerbated pre-existing condition, gut damage, etc. who really knows. I do know that prior to coming down off of the Seroquel all I had was some springtime anxiety and typical seasonal allergy symptoms during tree pollen season. Over the last few weeks I have had reactions to things I have never had an issue with. So, whatever the cause, Histamine can definitely wreak havoc with your life.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know where to find @GiaKs symptoms that lead her to a low histamine diet? I think I may have to do that as well before I re start taper. My genetics and conditions point to that. But I like to check with others here. Thank you!

2002-2021: 19 yrs on/off psychotropics

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

3/15/23: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.2 mg???

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

On 1/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, mustafa said:

Hello,

has anyone tried anti-histamine drugs for histamine intolerance?

Hi! @mustafa This is an old post but I see bo answers. While im just starting my research on this, I saw that the Low Histamine Chef takes a supplement. I will leave the link here. I haven’t tried it and don’t know if it works.
 https://www.instagram.com/p/BZRokDIjIYU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

if you end up trying can you let me know what you think?? 

2002-2021: 19 yrs on/off psychotropics

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

3/15/23: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.2 mg???

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

Did anyone experience muscle pain in the arms and joints from histamine? 

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

@Foxclover6 Histamine intolerance can have many different types of symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone. My nutritionist sent me a link to an article in the 'American Journal of Clinical Nutrition' about histamine and histamine intolerance. I thought you all would like to read it so here it is.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/85/5/1185/4633007?login=true

There are 2 diagrams within the article that I found especially useful. Here they are:

This is a great one for showing all of the functions that Histamine plays a role in within the body. As you can see it does a lot more than give you the sniffles.

znu0050744060001.gif?Expires=1667490052&

This one shows how histamine is broken down within the human body

znu0050744060002.gif?Expires=1667490070&

Outside of the United States many countries already accept Histamine Intolerance as a medical diagnosis. Within the United States awareness is growing so I imagine at some point it will be taken more seriously.

2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

On 9/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, Altostrata said:

@Foxclover6 Histamine intolerance can have many different types of symptoms.

At this point several months later I have also now added onions back in with no reactions. Today I tried out 2 'Stevia in the Raw' packets in my ginger lemon tea. In a week if things are still okay I am going to try some powdered milk. If that goes okay then I will try decaf coffee again since it is the only thing in my old diet that I really miss in the morning. If that goes okay for a week then I will try out my flavored decaf coffee. I would so love to have that back in the morning. It will do a lot for my mental well being just to have that in my routine again so I can regain some sense of normality. As you can see, this is a very slow process that has to be done carefully and methodically as my body still cannot handle sudden changes of any kind. The reactions are not as severe and are shorter lived now but they are still there. Slow and steady wins the race.

• 4 months later...

I'm completely off psych meds (7 months), I developed histamine intolerance which caused high levels of histamine in my gut which caused severe leaky gut which is about not be able to absorb nutrients from food, also called malabsorption. I found that probiotics are one of the top 3 supplements to heal leaky gut (link at the end) but regular probiotics or the great majority of probiotics are very high in histamine. So my question is, has anyone found the right probiotics (from fermented food) or probiotic supplement for histamine intolerance? (which has to be a probiotic low in histamine). And not only found it, but also taken it for a while and that it has already given good results in healing leaky gut? I know that probiotics are available in supplements and also in natural fermented foods like kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha tea, kimchi, or miso.

Leaky gut is different from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), IBS is a symptom of leaky gut, leaky gut is the cause of IBS.

Link of Dr Ruscio's website in which he mentions the top 3 supplements that heal leaky gut with the research/scientific backing that supports it. The supplements are probiotics, l-glutamine and vitamin D/safe sun exposure, here is the link: https://drruscio.com/leaky-gut-supplements/

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, Foxclover6 said:

After lots of search,  I found that glutamate may be why we're experiencing this,  the glutamate is too high,  it causes our body to produce too much histamine. Check this article out,  https://epidemicanswers.org/getting-started/diet-basics/low-glutamate-diet/

@Foxclover6 Have you ever gone into a wave from taking too much MSG in your food? If so, how long did your wave last? I had some rice crackers a few days ago and only realised afterwards that they contained MSG. Since then, I have been having a lot of difficulty with insomnia. Had zero hour sleep on the first night, some sleep on the second night, and still strugglig with falling asleep on the third night. Wondering when will this end. It feels like I've been thrown way back in my recovery and starting from ground zero again.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

Recently one of my safe foods has seemed to not be tolerable to me anymore and I don't know what is causing it. This happened yesterday eating steamed vegetables and chicken with salt and pepper. I had burning feeling in my throat like I had eaten something spicy but it was the same food I have had for weeks now, I don't know what is causing it. Scared right now.

Oct 2015: Started Zoloft, brought up to 50mg  Nov 2017: Zoloft Increased to 100mg 

Sept 2021: Taper up to 150mg Lamictal.

Oct 2022: Zoloft decreased to 50mg, akathisia 

Jan 2023: Zoloft decreased to 25mg

Feb 2023: Taper off of Lamictal 150mg to 100mg, get off mid Feb

mid Jan 2023: Got completely off Zoloft

Apr 2023: New onset of anxiety, depression and fatigue, worried it may be PAWS, akathisia

4/20/23: Reinstate Zoloft at 2mg for four days, parents found out and made me stop

4/24/23: up dose to 12.5mg

5/20/23: up dose to 25mg, taking 0.5mg Klonopin 3 times a day, getting interdose withdrawals in between 

4 hours ago, Healingslowly said:

Recently one of my safe foods has seemed to not be tolerable to me anymore and I don't know what is causing it. This happened yesterday eating steamed vegetables and chicken with salt and pepper. I had burning feeling in my throat like I had eaten something spicy but it was the same food I have had for weeks now, I don't know what is causing it. Scared right now.

That happened to me earlier this year with ginger and now I can eat it again safely these things seem to pop up and then go away and it's bizarre and scary but they do seem to go away. As to why it happens I couldn't even begin to tell you.

• 1 month later...

So last week after being on a semi strict low histamine diet for 9 months I tried to reintroduce lactose free milk and some foods I've not had in a while and for the last 4 days I've been in a bad flare. Hives everywhere really itchy akin and just that tight uncomfortable feeling again. I'm now back to the strict diet but now just a little depressed this is here forever. I'm now thinking maybe a DAO supplement might help and also thinking could this be SIBO or candida that I need to get tested for? Anyone had the same?

Citalopram 10mg sep14-nov14,

cit 20mg nov14-jan15,

cit 40mg jan15 -jan22,

tapered cit 40mg-0mg in 10 days.

mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg jan22-Mar22,

tapered in 1 week.

citalopram 20mg apr22- may22( had a reaction this time, hives everywhere),

no taper cold turkey 

sertraline 50mg then 100mg may22-nov22, tapered in 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a neat summary of some of the many ways in which we are affected by ADs.

https://www.alisonvickery.com/blog/the-anti-depressant-brain-fog-and-histamine-intolerance-connection/

2002 started Fluoxetine 20 ; increased gradually  to 40mg 

2004 diagnosed with ADD; prescribed methylphenidate

2004 later in the year  methylphenidate aggravated depression so discontinued   

2006 tried to taper  too quick from AD ( over 3 weeks!) and terrible WD; 

2006 later in the year doc changed to Citalopram (dont remember doze)

2009 (circa)  as Citalopram did nothing good so  back to 40 mg Fluoxetine 

2017 due to situational anxiety Pregablin prescribed terrible side effects 

201 8 tried again to taper fluoxetine 40 mg with   tough WD so back on it 

2020 changed to Escitalopram 20mg as no + effect of fluoxetine 

May 2023 prescribed Modafinil as fatigue intolerable

mid July 2023 started tapering - down to 18 mg daily so far so good 

• Administrator

I'm not sure if it work like Allison Vickery thinks it does, but it does seem that some people find they're intolerant to certain foods when they are in withdrawal.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I'm not sure if it work like Allison Vickery thinks it does, but it does seem that some people find they're intolerant to certain foods when they are in withdrawal.

@Altostrata yes, I hear this a lot. And certainly all the neurophysiological changes of both side effects and withdrawal (same mechanisms of adaptation) are causing havoc with the autonomic nervous system. I wonder how many ppl diagnosed with chronic fatigue/ME are victims of AD?  maybe  I’m ‘pushing it’ , but I dont think is far fetched to assume there might be a link. I’m tempted to try find a researcher so we can have a look at this….Only if I would not feel so debilitated by the side effects 

• Administrator

Given withdrawal syndrome may be expressed in a very large catalog of symptoms, it seems "similar" to many other conditions. This is coincidence.

Sorry, withdrawal syndrome is not "depression" and histamine intolerance is not "depression". Researchers are always finding some neurotransmitter or the other to be "implicated" in "depression". Such news is meaningless.

220720_dawson_theory_list.png

@Altostrata . I think you misunderstood, or perhaps I did not express myself clearly , the latter being a re-occurring  thing :). . Of course the chemical imbalance is a myth. But what I was trying There is a lot of straight forward evidence that antidepressants, due to depleting serotonin, they cause disturbance in histamine. As a result many people who take AD develop histamine intolerance. Among million of other things that ADs cause due to the changes they facilitate in neuro physical processes, as you so aptly highlight in your paper. My point is not that mental health can be understood from the lenses of neurotransmitters,  but that ADs cause very drastic  changes in our neuro-physiology.  As a result many people are mis-diagnosed with all kind of illnesses , or have ‘unexplained’ symptoms , when in fact they have side effects to anti-depressants. These express themselves in WD syndrome. Is a speculation , as there is no much research, but I suspect that this is what happens to me. I think we are saying the same thing, with the exception that I point to a  possible link between antidepressants and dysregulation of the whole system, including neurotransmitters. This might explain why so many ppl develop histamine intolerance after starting ADs. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Jools2816 said:

There is a lot of straight forward evidence that antidepressants, due to depleting serotonin, they cause disturbance in histamine.

No, this is nowhere near a thing. Any explanation dependent on serotonin is questionable. Antidepressants, like other drugs, hit many receptors and systems other than their targets.

Mirtazapine, a drug associated with perhaps more frequent development of histamine intolerance in withdrawal, which does not act directly on serotonin receptors, supposedly increases serotonin release. However, mirtazapine does act directly on the histamine system.

Still, there is only anecdotal evidence that antidepressant withdrawal syndrome induces histamine intolerance, as histamine intolerance is common though very under-diagnosed in the general population.

Watch out for coincidences, they naturally lead one to envision causation, but this is a fundamental error in logic. 

This is unfortunately true about major changes after WD. I told the psychiatrist that I had been having stomach pain for 3 months after stopping escitalpram. And I am said it's definitely not from withdrawal and I am recommended a gastroenterologist, it's very sad.

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

• Administrator

No one knows anything about why people develop any particular symptoms in withdrawal syndrome.

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

No one knows anything about why people develop any particular symptoms in withdrawal syndrome.

This is so true.  There maybe a lot of pre-existing conditions we may be living with, but WD destabilizes our bodies in ways that we don't understand.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

• Administrator
1 minute ago, tsranga said:

This is so true.  There maybe a lot of pre-existing conditions we may be living with, but WD destabilizes our bodies in ways that we don't understand.

EXACTLY!!!!

@Altostrata I agree that is all speculative. We are shooting in the dark. Whatever it is one thing for me is certain- after starting ADs and when I was in withdrawal I started having these symptoms that I have never had before and my autonomic nervous system has  been  destabilised. I am trying to understand , from my own research for the lack of any other knowledge, what are these changes to try minimise the damage. And this is why I taper very slowly as I know this is the only chance I have to get better. I had a session with Mark Horowitz and gave him a detailed history of my symptoms . He said that that is a blue print of what many people are experiencing as side effects of ADs. But of course, we do not know for sure or are able to detangle the many factors. Getting off them safely, with care and commitment, as you advise here, is at the forefront of my efforts. The rest is just trying to see what safe and meaningful changes in life style  can support this process. I just wanted to highlight the damage that ADs can cause and in the absence of any evidence that they work. And this gives me a unwavering determination to taper and do it right this time. I truly believe that many of my many and highly debilitating symptoms will resolve. I just know that my life before and after ADs are two different stories. Atm I do not have a life, I survive the best I can. 

3 hours ago, Jools2816 said:

just know that my life before and after ADs are two different stories. Atm I do not have a life, I survive the best I can. 

This is me too after almost 5 years.  I totally understand. 

I just work on the things that I can control to find meaning in between the suffering.

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 2 weeks later...

@tsranga yes, so sad, but we need to keep going. ❤️❤️

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Looks like some more good information and links here:

4 hours ago, Go2zero said:

There is a long list of food and drinks that contain histamines or that free histamines. Next to the few @LostInCanada mentioned there are: Cheese, tomatoes, spinach, all fermented food and drinks (that are a lot). All processed meat (sausages), smoked food. Alcohol, most black and green teas and a lot more.

This site and video is a good start to learn more.

https://histamine-sensitivity.com

Also interesting: 

https://www.alisonvickery.com/blog/the-anti-depressant-brain-fog-and-histamine-intolerance-connection/

Lots of info what can be taken in a low histamine diet can be found on the internet.

I found this list very helpful

https://www.mastzellaktivierung.info/downloads/foodlist/21_FoodList_EN_alphabetic_withCateg.pdf

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 4 months later...

Does histamine problems caused in withdrawal just work themselves out eventually?

2015- Jan 2021 20mg Citalapram

Jan 2021- April 2021 Sertraline (CT)

June 2021 - Fluoxetine & Trazadone

Oct 2021- Trazadone to Quitiapin 

Oct 2021 to June 2022 switches Duloxetine then paroxatine then Venlafaxine.

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

1 week- 62.5mg 1 week- 50mg 1 week- 37.5mg 1 week - 25mg 

ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE SINCE JULY 22ND 2022!! 

18/05/23 - 01-06/23 doxycycline for a rat bite 

Taken propranalol since 2015. 80mg.

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

4 hours ago, Doctorsrcrap said:

Does histamine problems caused in withdrawal just work themselves out eventually?

@Doctorsrcrap mine did. My histamine issues came in waves and windows, just like my other symptoms and are improving in the same pattern.

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

@LotusRising

What did tour symptoms look like? 

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

@Doctorsrcrap I had allergy-type symptoms - wheezing in my chest that would come and go, runny nose alternating with congestion, and also intestinal cramping. The wheezing actually got quite bad and would be triggered by walking in the cold and then persist for some time later. This doesn't happen anymore for me. 

How about you?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Dry scratchy throat. Dry mouth. Breathless. Fast heart rate 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy