Deep despair, dread, doom, horror

Barbarannamated

Every single day since quitting zyprexa cold turkey. Dp/Dr is horrible, isn't it... Those existential, unremitting thoughts are so tiring, aren't they?

I have come to understand more about it and why I have it though, so I'll share what I've learned.

Depersonalization/Derealization is anxiety that is tied with obsessive rumination, a sensitized nervous system (due to stress that has been gathering for quite some time) and a trigger (eg. medication/drugs, marijuana, a traumatic event etc.)

It is essentially three things; Obsession, Anxiety and Trauma. Your current sensitized body state is causing your alarm system to constantly trigger (corticols, and all those nasty chemicals are going around your body), which causes the horrible thoughts, which causes more stress, and the cycle continues.

Dp/Dr feels horrible, but it is simply a dissociative disorder on the mild end of the spectrum.

I still have Dp/Dr every day, but that's ok. Time, self-care, diet, sleep, being around healthy and kind people are the cure.

Having  depersonalization is really, really tough... It feels like hell. Dreams for me are almost more real than reality itself, and they always stay in my mind even after weeks have passed. 

It is something that will get better with time, and self-care though.

I feel for anyone going through this! 

Kindest regards.

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

Even worse than the dp/dr for me is the existential doom and dread that is so terrifying I can't describe it.  It's not anything that I ever knew existed before psych drugs.  It's like a preview of hell (as described in the Bible) here on earth...complete outer darkness and permanent alienation from God.  Even just describing it as doom and dread is insufficient....like describing labor pains as a cramp.  It's far more terrifying than words can encompass. 

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2019- Apr 14 mg; Jun 11 mg; Aug 9 mg; Oct 7 mg; Nov 6 mg

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

I had a feeling of outright terror, and that was one of the worst symptoms. It was beyond anything I could imagine even existing, and it felt like hell on Earth for me too.  It made pretty well any awful situation I had been through before that (and there were many) look like a walk in the park.  Thankfully it does go away.  To be honest it is one of the reasons why I think the use of psychiatric drugs that cause it should be grandfathered off the market, never given to people who had not taken them before, so that they are slowly phased out over time, as there is no really adequate way to warn someone of just how wretched things can get if they either don't tolerate the pills or they wind up with withdrawal issues that are severe. Words do not capture how bad that feeling of terror was.  I hope this improves for you really soon gardenlady and for everyone else here. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Thanks for understanding, Unfolding.  It's rare that anyone can. 

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

7 hours ago, gardenlady said:

for me is the existential doom and dread that is so terrifying I can't describe it

5 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

I had a feeling of outright terror, and that was one of the worst symptoms. It was beyond anything I could imagine even existing, and it felt like hell on Earth for me too. 

Please help I'm going through this right now and need some support. I get it on and off most days, some are worst than others. Today is 'hell' . It's hard to imagine these feelings will ever  go away. I really need some encouragement, I'm struggling. @UnfoldingSkycan you remember how  long it lasted, I'm about 10 months of this and it's terrifying for everyone, my family as well. My poor kids. I can't reinstate it's too late. 

Best wishes to you all, sorry i can't be of any more support right now, this terror is off the scale. I do not have the eloquence to describe it. I feel like the archetypal mad women locked in the attic.

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

I know that horrible feeling, and I can say that it passes. I always said to my wife that it was a feeling that doesn't have any way to describe it given our limited language... Pure hell indeed.

It went away for me after many months after cold turkey from that drug zyprexa. It won't last forever.

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

Katy,  I am so very, very sorry that you are experiencing this terror....believe me, I understand.  I still have it most days when in bed for hours and hours because I can't sleep.  I cry out to God and recite one of the Psalms or other bible verses.  I honestly think these are demonic forces that make in-roads to us through these hideous drugs.  For me, it's a spiritual battle so I have to keep going back to God as He is the only One with the power to deal with it.  Just concentrate on staying alive even if you have to do it from one minute to the next.  

I've had this for about 5 years and it's still ongoing as I'm still tapering Cymbalta.  At least you're off the drug so perhaps this symptom will ease up in a few months.  I'm way behind you so can't offer any help in how long it lasts as I'm still on the offending drug. 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:36 AM, gardenlady said:

The symptom that troubles me most is one I don't hear people mention much.  It's a pervasive, non-stop sense of existential doom and dread.  I've had it for three years and it gets worse the lower in my AD dose that I go.  I also had it when I tapered a benzo. I'm tapering Cymbalta very, very slowly but this symptom as well as akathisia, sleep inversion (unable to sleep at night...only in the day), depersonalization and derealization are unremitting.  I've never had a window and these symptoms are so severe that I'm not able to socialize at all and have to stay isolated because of it.  

I've not found anything that helps with any of these symptoms.  Does anyone else have this unceasing existential doom and dread?  It's worse when I'm in bed as I lie awake for hours before falling asleep and then sleep only 1 or 2 hours at a time.  When I wake up, I have the immediate doom and dread and sometimes I wonder how long I can keep on like this as it gets only worse despite a very, very slow taper.   I often feel like I'm going insane because of it.  

Hi gardenlady,

I've had this as well and it got better with holding for me but comes back when I make cuts. The best thing that made a small difference but difference nonetheless was distraction of whatever kind you can imagine. Even getting out of bed and to the couch, walks, reading/tv whatever you can when you can. I found the trick was not to expect to feel better as that would invariably lead to disappointment but to basically hope to get through the minutes and hours and finally to the next day where you repeat. I wonder if you need to cut slower even or hold longer. Holds did help me get brief windows - a three month hold at least for me. I hope you get a big bright window soon.

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

On 12/8/2019 at 1:03 AM, gardenlady said:

Thanks for understanding, Unfolding.  It's rare that anyone can. 

No problem gardenlady. It is always so upsetting that others continue to go  through this, who even knew such a thing was possible.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

23 hours ago, Katy398 said:

Please help I'm going through this right now and need some support. I get it on and off most days, some are worst than others. Today is 'hell' . It's hard to imagine these feelings will ever  go away. I really need some encouragement, I'm struggling. @UnfoldingSkycan you remember how  long it lasted, I'm about 10 months of this and it's terrifying for everyone, my family as well. My poor kids. I can't reinstate it's too late. 

Best wishes to you all, sorry i can't be of any more support right now, this terror is off the scale. I do not have the eloquence to describe it. I feel like the archetypal mad women locked in the attic.

Hi Katy, it was many months for me too before it went away, but then I was still on some pills much of that time that were not sitting well with me.  I'd expect and hope it will go faster then for you as my drug history was more extensive than yours (thirteen drugs, numerous drug reactions that were severe, cold turkey, then years of benzos where I could barely remember anything and had other troubles too.)  When you recover too you can barely even recall what it was like, I know it must sound surprising, but, it is true. You will get there too!  Also one thing that would help me pass the time was to look at photos of places I wanted to visit when I recovered, even if it seemed impossible I might ever go there, didn't have the money etc, it helped quite a lot in really rough patches.  I would also keep photos near my bed for when I woke up of things or people that were pleasing, as I would get cortisol spikes in the morning, and the irrational fear would attach itself to whatever idea I had in my mind at the time, so to counteract that and try to get back to sleep I'd just look at the photos.  It did work to get me back to sleep.

20 hours ago, gardenlady said:

Katy,  I am so very, very sorry that you are experiencing this terror....believe me, I understand.  I still have it most days when in bed for hours and hours because I can't sleep.  I cry out to God and recite one of the Psalms or other bible verses.  I honestly think these are demonic forces that make in-roads to us through these hideous drugs.  For me, it's a spiritual battle so I have to keep going back to God as He is the only One with the power to deal with it.  Just concentrate on staying alive even if you have to do it from one minute to the next.  

I've had this for about 5 years and it's still ongoing as I'm still tapering Cymbalta.  At least you're off the drug so perhaps this symptom will ease up in a few months.  I'm way behind you so can't offer any help in how long it lasts as I'm still on the offending drug. 

gardenlady, it felt like that for me too, like it was a spiritual battle.  I used to pray and pray, because I felt I had no real power of my own to deal with it.  When I was first hurt by pills there was little in the way of online resources so I didn't even realize anyone ever HAD gotten better from it, so I actually lived for a period of time with zero hope at all that i would get better.  Then I found some others who had had the same experience and slowly began to learn that people did improve, and finally I did too.  I pray your improvement comes soon. 

5 hours ago, Onmyway said:

I wonder if you need to cut slower even or hold longer. Holds did help me get brief windows - a three month hold at least for me. I hope you get a big bright window soon.

Thanks for all that you wrote, Onmyway.  I found when tapering benzos and also the AD, holding doesn't help...it merely puts off the inevitable.  When I did hold, the minute I started cutting again, the horrific symptoms started up again.  Plus, I've never stabilized while holding because, I think, it's the presence of the drug making me sick.  We are all different, but holding doesn't help me at all even though that's what virtually everyone recommends.  I have to do what I know is right for me, even if it goes against the grain and conventional wisdom.  I am already tapering at a glacial pace and if I went any slower, I'd have to stop.  Even so, I have symptoms rendering me non-functional.  I happen to be one of those people who has awful symptoms despite a very, very slow and steady taper.   Thanks, though, for sharing your experience and for giving hope to us who are still tapering and consuming the neurotoxins.  

22 minutes ago, UnfoldingSky said:

gardenlady, it felt like that for me too, like it was a spiritual battle.  I used to pray and pray, because I felt I had no real power of my own to deal with it.  When I was first hurt by pills there was little in the way of online resources so I didn't even realize anyone ever HAD gotten better from it, so I actually lived for a period of time with zero hope at all that i would get better.  Then I found some others who had had the same experience and slowly began to learn that people did improve, and finally I did too.  I pray your improvement comes soon. 

Thanks, again, unfolding.  You are a dear!!!

Thank you @UnfoldingSky and @gardenlady,

Just now, UnfoldingSky said:

Just concentrate on staying alive even if you have to do it from one minute to the next.  

You're right all I can do is try to stay alive. Most people who say they want to die  don't actually want to die, they just what whatever pain they are experiencing to stop. I keep reminding ,myself of this and that allegedly we all heal  eventually.  I have to stay alive for my boys but it's so so painful. Having folk here who understand does help. I am scared though,  I was never really that strong a person pre- meds so  it's all pretty daunting, how will someone like me get through this? 

Hang on in there folks. Thank you for being there.

Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Oh Gardenlady, I'm so sorry you are struggling so much. I don't know what to suggest. I often wonder if slow taper and holding just prolongs the pain for some people, but then again we have all the cold turkey horror stories to take heed of as well.  I guess there really is no way of knowing, we just have to take each day step by step and as unfoldingsky said,  we have to focus on staying alive, which we can only do one minute at a time.  

I really feel for you, still tapering and going through this, your  following the book and still suffering, whereas I have cold turkey to blame for this, albeit psychiatrist assisted Cold Turkey. Do the moderators have any advice for you. Just remember what you are going through each day is definitely WD and not the real you. 

You've come so far there has to be some reprieve for you soon.  

Take care thinking of you 

much love Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Mentor

I know exactly what you guys are talking about.  Before and during my taper I had the same thing, manifesting especially in anything health-related.  At any given time, I thought I had a brain tumor, kidney cancer, oral cancer, and everything else.  I must have driven my GP nuts.  I was especially afraid of those diseases that don't have any symptoms until you're on death's door.  I can look back and see how silly it was then, but at the time each was as real and as frightening as it could be. 

The best way I can describe it is the feeling of being a trapped animal in a small cage, with no possibility of getting out and being free.  There was a tremendous amount of  negative energy in my body with nowhere to send it. It was exhausting and depressing.

Getting past the catastrophic thoughts took time and help.  My psychologist told me to picture my anxiety and OCD as a ball of a certain weight.  No matter how I divided it up, it still weighed the same and needed to be "put" somewhere.  I was caught up in a habit he called "scanning"; I'd get past one crisis and then go looking for another one to throw that weight.   Being able to picture my thoughts as a weight helped me understand and recognize them.  The other thing that helped was time.  Simply put, I didn't die or get sick from all the things I thought I had.  I didn't get fired when I made a mistake at work.  None of the terrible things I created happened.  Eventually I realized that even though I still had the thoughts, they weren't realistic.

The key for me was realizing I created the thoughts.   I certainly didn't choose to, but they still came from my brain and thought patterns.  What I created, I could control or ignore.  Sometimes, I'd give myself permission to freak out for a certain period of time, and then tell myself I could move on.  It truly does take time and thought practice, but you can break out of it!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

2 hours ago, gardenlady said:

Thanks for all that you wrote, Onmyway.  I found when tapering benzos and also the AD, holding doesn't help...it merely puts off the inevitable.  When I did hold, the minute I started cutting again, the horrific symptoms started up again.  Plus, I've never stabilized while holding because, I think, it's the presence of the drug making me sick.  We are all different, but holding doesn't help me at all even though that's what virtually everyone recommends.  I have to do what I know is right for me, even if it goes against the grain and conventional wisdom.  I am already tapering at a glacial pace and if I went any slower, I'd have to stop.  Even so, I have symptoms rendering me non-functional.  I happen to be one of those people who has awful symptoms despite a very, very slow and steady taper.   Thanks, though, for sharing your experience and for giving hope to us who are still tapering and consuming the neurotoxins.  

I totally understand. If the drug is causing the symptoms you don't want to hold longer. Hope it gets better as you go lower and lower.

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

I'm amazed that more people don't comment on this existential Doom and Dread. It is by far my worst symptom and by far the most disturbing for me. When will it end?

I'm so scared because I unwittingly Cold Turkeyed on a high dose of a very strong AD( Lexapro) almost a year ago. 

Please share your experiences of doom and dread. 

Thank you to all

Best wishes this will pass they say we all heal eventually.

Take care Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, mstimc said:

The best way I can describe it is the feeling of being a trapped animal in a small cage, with no possibility of getting out and being free.  There was a tremendous amount of  negative energy in my body with nowhere to send it. It was exhausting and depressing.

@mstimc this is so right I feel trapped, caged.

How did it pass for you?

how did you cope?

I can't tell you how supportive it is having folk who understand this symptom. It's irrational and impossible to describe. I know intellectually that these thoughts are irrational but emotionally they are so real. So real  that  at times I can't understand why everyone doesn't  get plagued by them. Surely a vast  majority of folk are terrified of being isolated, poverty stricken and infirm in old age. It's a fact that it could happen to many people,  so why are more people not terrified by this. Then on the flip side, it's irrational, we can't live life constantly frightened of the what ifs. I get that too I really do. It's so confusing and this is where my eloquence lets me down, I just don't have language to explain, but then I don't have to. Those on this post get it and fully understand without the need for explanations. Phew what a relief. 

Thanks for your response @mstimc and for your understanding.

How are things for you now. Where are you at?

Take care Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Mentor
53 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

I'm amazed that more people don't comment on this existential Doom and Dread. It is by far my worst symptom and by far the most disturbing for me. When will it end?

I'm so scared because I unwittingly Cold Turkeyed on a high dose of a very strong AD( Lexapro) almost a year ago. 

Please share your experiences of doom and dread. 

Thank you to all

Best wishes this will pass they say we all heal eventually.

Take care Kx

I was very hard on myself during my periods of doom.  I over-reacted to every error in my personal and professional life, and then I compounded them to make myself think I was worthless.

One thing that helped was reminding myself I wasn't a different person than I was before OCD and withdrawal took over.  My job skills were intact, I'm an honest person and I was a good husband and father.  Those traits were still there, shrouded by my anxious and negative thoughts.  Try thinking about what makes you a good person--even writing it down if you can, and concentrate on that.

Tim C

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

@mstimc this is so right I feel trapped, caged.

How did it pass for you?

how did you cope?

I can't tell you how supportive it is having folk who understand this symptom. It's irrational and impossible to describe. I know intellectually that these thoughts are irrational but emotionally they are so real. So real  that  at times I can't understand why everyone doesn't  get plagued by them. Surely a vast  majority of folk are terrified of being isolated, poverty stricken and infirm in old age. It's a fact that it could happen to many people,  so why are more people not terrified by this. Then on the flip side, it's irrational, we can't live life constantly frightened of the what ifs. I get that too I really do. It's so confusing and this is where my eloquence lets me down, I just don't have language to explain, but then I don't have to. Those on this post get it and fully understand without the need for explanations. Phew what a relief. 

Thanks for your response @mstimc and for your understanding.

How are things for you now. Where are you at?

Take care Kx

Hi Katy

There is a lot of truth in your statement!  First, unless you've experienced it, I don't think you can fully understand it.  

Surely a vast  majority of folk are terrified of being isolated, poverty stricken and infirm in old age. It's a fact that it could happen to many people,  so why are more people not terrified by this. I agree, but  I think this is where some reality checking can help.  This doesn't happen to most people, even in these crazy economic times. Most people have some friends or family, most people don't get fired, and for better or worse most of us just cork off without long periods of infirmity. 

It's so confusing and this is where my eloquence lets me down, I just don't have language to explain, but then I don't have to.  Yeah, I've never been able to articulate it to anyone but my therapist, and I made a living writing.  It's such a primal, atavistic fear, it's almost beyond words.

How are things for you now. Where are you at?  I still get the thoughts but then I stop myself and use my CBT tools to bring myself back to reality.  I've also found that when things do go wrong, its much easier dealing with the reality than the anticipatory dread. 

Physically, I'm in Portugal!  My wife and I retired a bit early so we can travel while we're still healthy (don't want to wait till we're broke an infirm--LOL 😁).  Portugal is very attractive for retirees due to a low cost of living, tax advantages, (and great health care).  It's nice not having to work, but of course a whole new culture and lifestyle comes with its own anxiety-inducing moments, but I'm adjusting!

Tim C

• 3 weeks later...

This too is one of one of my worst symptoms. It is related to dp/dr, but not really, but more like it has a synergistic effect with them and just makes it feel even more horrifying. For me it is this feeling of utter terror in the flavor of pitch black darkness and emptiness, just feeling almost dead. It's terrifying to the extreme. Existence creeps the hell out of me, and brings about the most sickening gut wrenching feeling . Most of the time i try to get through minute by minute, hour by hour. Many days i have no idea how i made it through, 

Clonazapam:  01/2015 - 03/2015 2mg; 03/2015 Cold Turkey

Lexapro:  07/2007 - 08/2018 10-20mg; 08/2018 - 10/2018 Tapered to 0mg; 10/11/2018 Reinstated 7 days taper up to 20mg (took 3mg xanax/day first 3 days of reinstatement); 17/11/2018 20mg; 2/12/2018: 15mg; 3/12/2018 10mg; 5/12/2018 Developed violent spasms, back to 15mg;

6/1/2019 13.5mg; 27/3/2019 13mg; 2/4/2019 12.5mg; 11/4/2019 10mg; 25/5/2019 9mg; 8/7/2019; 8.75mg; 15/7/2019 8.5mg; 22/7/2019 8.25mg; 5month taper of 10%/month to 5mg on 12/2019;

• Mentor

1 hour ago, planifolia said:

This too is one of one of my worst symptoms. It is related to dp/dr, but not really, but more like it has a synergistic effect with them and just makes it feel even more horrifying. For me it is this feeling of utter terror in the flavor of pitch black darkness and emptiness, just feeling almost dead. It's terrifying to the extreme. Existence creeps the hell out of me, and brings about the most sickening gut wrenching feeling . Most of the time i try to get through minute by minute, hour by hour. Many days i have no idea how i made it through, 

Planifolia

The thing to remember is you do make it through each day.  And each day is one day closer to the day when these symptoms will ease.  Not being to control our thoughts is terrifying because the one thing that makes us who we are--our brains--turns against us.  The brain is incredibly powerful and can make our lives miserable.  But it also has the power to heal if we can manage out thought patterns.  I know it seems impossible because I went through it too, but focusing on the better days to come helps.  As others have said, trying to divert your attention to positive activities, no matter how trivial, helps to relieve the feelings and gets you through another day.

Tim C

My experience has confirmed that psych drugs are much like street drugs in that they open the mind to demonic forces that one wouldn't be exposed to without these drugs.  They create a window through which these demonic forces enter.  It defies belief that such drugs are not only legal, but are condoned and advocated by the medical profession.  They may as well prescribe LSD and other forms of acid under the guise of "helping some people." 

My experience is like yours @planifolia you describe it perfectly as a black terror Almost like a powerful grief type feeling with it. I also get lots of intrusive memories ever since I messed up my taper which are usually inocuous places people etc from my hometown but come with a sheer black terror for no reason at all. Nobody else seems to mention this so I’m not sure if I’m on my own with this one but it’s so bad now I can’t think of any memories normally Without feeling some level of horror or emotional pain. I fear I will never be able to go to my home town again or visit my dads house where I grew up due to this inexplicable terror (im housebound with agoraphobia due to the chemical terror anyway so not much chance at the moment) . I truly feel like I have gone mad and I will never be able to think of the past normally again.

i don’t know if anyone else has this???

i also have bizarre reactions to images or things on TV - like a weird trippy anxiety reaction to outdoor scenes especially sunny ones. I feel truly poisoned and in despair that I will ever heal.

10 years on Sertraline 100mg. 75mg Dec 2016 - Apr 2017, 50mg May 2017 - Oct 2017, 37.5mg

2018 - Sertraline 25mg Mar -  July 2018, 13.75mg Aug- Sept 1.5 month (‘not accurately measured), came off completely 10 October, reinstated by doctor on 10 November 25 mg. 25 November raised to 50mg 2 December 100mg 11 December 150mg 30 November. Lorazepam started 2mg x daily 1 November

2019 - Sertraline reduced  to 100mg 5 Feb, 23 Feb 75mg, 18 Mar 50mg, 23 Apr 37.5mg, 1 Jun 25mg, 3 Jul 16mg, 3 Aug 8mg, updosed on 1 Sept to 16.67mg 

20 Feb lorazepam 2mg x day crossed over to diazepam 20mg x day over 2 week period to taper. diazepam reduced by 1mg every 2/3 weeks got down to 3.5mg in August. 

22 Sept resorted to taking 1mg lorazepam after sertraline destabilisation instead of diazepam. took lorazepam 1mg  x day 22 Sept - 28 Sept then returned to diazepam on 29  Sept 4mg,, 30 Sept 4.5mg  1 Oct 5mg 2 Oct 5mg  16 Nov 4.75mg. 15 Dec 5mg 29 Dec 4.75mg   Vortioxetine 5mg started 1 July. 14 July 10mg -Reduced on 20 July to 5mg. 12 Sept reduced to  3.75mg, 19 Sept reduced to 2.5mg, 15 Oct reduced to 2mg, 22 Oct 1.9mg, 29 Oct 1.8mg reduced down every 3 days and then daily stopped on 2 Dec

2020 - sertraline  8 Apr - 16mg 29 Apr - 15.5mg 13 may - 15.25mg may 19 - 15mg may 22- 14.75mg 22 Jun 14mg 6 July 13.3 - 20 July 12.6 - 3 August - 11.97 - 17 August 11.37. Held. Then started 2.5% fortnightly drops. 9.5mg 4 Dec

diazepam 19 Apr - 4.25mg 20 May - 4mg 20 Jun 3.75mg  4.25mg 22 Sept 4.5mg 29 Sept. 4.75ng Oct 5 Nov 10 4.5mg

Hi @planifolia and @Kernol,

You both describe this so well. I understand completely. This ‘black terror’ reminds me of the black smoke of a ‘Dementor’ in a JK Rowling film. It comes out of nowhere, engulfs me without warning, fills my brain with random terrifying thoughts, that seem more real than the memory of my previous meal. I too can’t think of my hometown, I can’t look at photographs of my children when they were babies, I can’t sit on a beach and enjoy the here and now. That  ‘black terror’ envelops my core, my very being, with fears, of, what ifs and where did we go so very wrong? Anxiety clings like an parasite, growing and growing. My lungs are constricted, there is no space to fill.  Then I cry. I cry, I cry, I cry. My tears wash the menacing fog away, like the rain clears a hazy day. I breathe for as long and as deeply as I can, savouring the cool fresh air. Breathe,  but not for long,  sadly a new ‘black terror’ creeps over the horizon, preparing to take it’s prey. 

Knowing others are going through the same is terribly sad, But if I am going mad, I’m not alone. At least that gives me hope. We will heal and this ‘black terror’ will one day leave and we may be able to breathe and breathe and breathe. 

Best wishes to all,

Happy New Year.

Lets hope this year,

is better than last

KXxx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Katy398 said:

You both describe this so well. I understand completely. This ‘black terror’ reminds me of the black smoke of a ‘Dementor’ in a JK Rowling film. It comes out of nowhere, engulfs me without warning, fills my brain with random terrifying thoughts, that seem more real than the memory of my previous meal. I too can’t think of my hometown, I can’t look at photographs of my children when they were babies, I can’t sit on a beach and enjoy the here and now. That  ‘black terror’ envelops my core, my very being, with fears, of, what ifs and where did we go so very wrong? Anxiety clings like an parasite, growing and growing. My lungs are constricted, there is no space to fill.  Then I cry. I cry, I cry, I cry. My tears wash the menacing fog away, like the rain clears a hazy day. I breathe for as long and as deeply as I can, savouring the cool fresh air. Breathe,  but not for long,  sadly a new ‘black terror’ creeps over the horizon, preparing to take it’s prey. 

Knowing others are going through the same is terribly sad, But if I am going mad, I’m not alone. At least that gives me hope. We will heal and this ‘black terror’ will one day leave and we may be able to breathe and breathe and breathe. 

Best wishes to all,

Happy New Year.

Lets hope this year,

is better than last

KXxx

Katy, this is such a clear and heartfelt description of what we feel in the depths of this black terror.  And the hope you express at the end is a bright light.  We are not alone in our struggle; that alone should give us hope.

Tim C

18 hours ago, Katy398 said:

Best wishes to all,

Happy New Year.

Lets hope this year,

is better than last

KXxx

How beautifully you write and have expressed this experience, Katy! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, gardenlady said:

Is there any bible verses you recommend? I am not religious and have no experience with the bible, so If anyone can recommend some verses a non-christian may resonate with, would be greatly appreciated 

Lexapro:  07/2007 - 08/2018 10-20mg; 08/2018 - 10/2018 Tapered to 0mg; 10/11/2018 Reinstated 7 days taper up to 20mg (took 3mg xanax/day first 3 days of reinstatement); 17/11/2018 20mg; 2/12/2018: 15mg; 3/12/2018 10mg; 5/12/2018 Developed violent spasms, back to 15mg;

6/1/2019 13.5mg; 27/3/2019 13mg; 2/4/2019 12.5mg; 11/4/2019 10mg; 25/5/2019 9mg; 8/7/2019; 8.75mg; 15/7/2019 8.5mg; 22/7/2019 8.25mg; 5month taper of 10%/month to 5mg on 12/2019;

On 12/30/2019 at 6:20 PM, mstimc said:

Planifolia

The thing to remember is you do make it through each day.  And each day is one day closer to the day when these symptoms will ease.  Not being to control our thoughts is terrifying because the one thing that makes us who we are--our brains--turns against us.  The brain is incredibly powerful and can make our lives miserable.  But it also has the power to heal if we can manage out thought patterns.  I know it seems impossible because I went through it too, but focusing on the better days to come helps.  As others have said, trying to divert your attention to positive activities, no matter how trivial, helps to relieve the feelings and gets you through another day.

Thanks for this encouragement, tim! I always find it heartfelt when strangers shows such kindness :) 

Yes thank you. The positive energy that comes through this site is incredible. ‘Complete strangers’ there for each other,  doing the job that most doctors don’t even realise   needs doing. This is wonderful thank you 🙏 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

@planifolia  Psalm 91 💜

🙏

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.32 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

7 hours ago, planifolia said:

s there any bible verses you recommend? I am not religious and have no experience with the bible, so If anyone can recommend some verses a non-christian may resonate with, would be greatly appreciated

“Life is sweet, and it is pleasant for the eyes to see the sun.” Ecclesiastes 11:7.  This is the quote for today in my inspirational quotes calendar.  I don’t know if this resonates with you or not.  Life does not feel very sweet during withdrawal.  But, just remember, the sun will come out again.  Sometimes it is just hiding hiding behind the clouds.

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

Hi

Hope you don't mind me pitching in. I've had unbearable, relentless unremitting depressive sensations and anhedonia for about a month. I'm not sure if you'd describe it as demonic, but manifests as:

• Can't watch anything dark or remotely scary. Went to watch 1917 movie last night and felt overwhelmed by the bleakness and sadness, like I was the only one in the cinema gong through this
  • Feel overwhelmed after 4pm when it starts getting dark

I feel for you, as I've noticed v much more interest and support for those going through anxiety rather than depression type turmoil. Almost like it's in the too difficult box.

Just wanted to wish you well and say I was preforming thee.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

Amitriptyline October 2018-2019. (25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25)

CT 10 Sept 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 5 mg 29 Oct 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 2.5mg 19 Nov 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Vitamin D 16 Dec and Promethazine 25mg 16 Dec (one month only)

The other thing is massive agitation and anger outbursts over anything, Howe trivial.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

Amitriptyline October 2018-2019. (25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25)

CT 10 Sept 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 5 mg 29 Oct 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 2.5mg 19 Nov 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Vitamin D 16 Dec and Promethazine 25mg 16 Dec (one month only)

On 1/12/2020 at 3:19 AM, Superwoman said:

“Life is sweet, and it is pleasant for the eyes to see the sun.” Ecclesiastes 11:7.  This is the quote for today in my inspirational quotes calendar.  I don’t know if this resonates with you or not.  Life does not feel very sweet during withdrawal.  But, just remember, the sun will come out again.  Sometimes it is just hiding hiding behind the clouds.

🙏 Thankyou!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy