cats: Achiness, Flu-like Symptoms

cats

After taking SSRIs for 12 years (luvox, paxil, effexor, zoloft) I stopped my 50mg zoloft 11 days ago, thinking it had been a low enough dose that tapering wasn't needed. Big mistake. The first 5 days were fine, then the lightheadedness, zaps, fatigue, anxiety started up.

Now what do I do? Should I go back on it? If so, how do I taper when it's in capsule form? (My psychiatrist is no help. He says I should stay on it. But since I want to quit, see how it goes, and come back in 3 months.)

Here's what I've been on for over a year as well:

Prescriptions:

20mg lipitor (high cholesterolcriptions[/u])

20mg rabeprazole (acid reflux)

5mg-50mg amiloride (high blood pressure)

Supplements:

500 mg calcium carbonate

2000 iu Vitamin D

B100 Complex (with choline and inositol)

So, on the advice of a master herbologist, I stopped the B complex,and the calcium carbonate,

and have added the following:

2400mg Omega-First

2 capsules Liver Supreme

2 tablets Cal-Mag Supreme

6 capsules EMP

I am really feeling at loose ends, questioning what I should do at this point. I kind of wish I could just erase the past 11 days, and go back to the way it was before quitting the zoloft.

Edited by tezza
Added name to topic title

SSRI History:

8 years on SSRIs (Luvox, Paxil, Effexor)

4 years on Zoloft 100MG daily

1 year on Zoloft 50MG daily

1 week off Zoloft cold turkey

Began Zoloft taper Jan. 26, 2013 starting at 25MG daily

Other Presriptions

-Amiloride 5MG-50MG daily (blood pressure)

-Rabeprazole 20MG daily (acid reflux)

-Atorvastatin 20MG daily (high cholesterol)

-Lorazepam 0.5MG as needed

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Cal-Mag Supreme (also includes potassium, zinc, boron, vitamins D and K)

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• Administrator

cats, I moved your topic here as your Intro. You can post to this topic as your journal and share your progress.

If I were you, I'd immediately take 25mg Zoloft. To divide the capsule, you can make it into a liquid with water, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

If 25mg eliminates your withdrawal symptoms in a few days, stabilize on it for a month, then use the liquid to decrease your dosage by 10% per month, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/ and other key Tapering topics http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum/

If your withdrawal symptoms are not relieved in a few days, you may need to take 50mg and stabilize.

If I were you, I'd taper off 20mg rabeprazole (acid reflux) as soon as possible. Acid blockers prevent the absorption of vitamin B12. Low B12 makes our nervous systems vulnerable to damage and cause symptoms misdiagnosed as psychiatric disorders. Very few people should be taking acid blockers for any length of time.

After you stabilize on the Zoloft, you may wish to get a B12 shot to restore your B12 levels.

Re 2400mg Omega-First, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil

What are Liver Supreme and EMP and why are you taking them?

Also see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/ about magnesium.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata.

-'Liver Supreme' is made by First Health. the label says hepotoprotectant/liver protectant. Ingredients are: Siliphos from Milk Thistle, dandelion, alpha lipoic acid.

-EMP, Essential Mineral Power, by TrueHope, is "nutritional support for mental and physical well-being".

I've been taking them on the advice of the herbologist, after I asked her for help in dealing with the unpleasant symptoms of having quit the zoloft.

Do you think I need them?

I will try making the zoloft liquid, and try the 25mg dose. Will let you know how this goes.

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• Administrator

Truehope EMPowerplus is nothing but a weak multivitamin with minerals. Use Search in upper right to see our discussions.

You may wish to save your money and buy an ordinary multivitamin with minerals instead.

I doubt you need the Liver Supreme supplement. It's best not to interfere with liver functioning at all.

Keep us posted about how you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Altostrata.

So last night I mixed the contents from a 50mg zoloft capsule with 2 cc warm water. After mixing as well as I could, I withdrew 1cc of the mixture and drank it. (Note to Self: mix with orange juice next time...yuk.) Does that sound like I did it accurately for a 25mg dose? If I understand correctly, to cut my dose from 50mg to 25mg, I just drink half the mixture, and discard the other half?

Today I feel about 90% better! Thank God.

My plan is to stay on this amount for at least 3 weeks, then cut back by 5mg for the next 3 weeks, and so on. If it goes well, I'll be off the zoloft by May or June.

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

Also, for now, I want to keep it as simple as possible, so no more EMP or Liver-Supreme.

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• Administrator

It sounds like you've accomplished taking 25mg. Good to hear it helped.

Suggest using room-temperature water, as heat may degrade the drug.

Given you've had cold-turkey withdrawal symptoms, your nervous system has become sensitized to dosage reductions. Treat it gently. 5mg would be too much of a decrease. Think in terms of a 10% decrease per month; that would be 2.5mg subtracted from 25mg.

The next decrease would be calculated on 22.5mg and even smaller.

Please read http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

It's better to go slower than to injure your nervous system again.

I appreciate your advice Alto. I had misunderstood how to calculate the 10% reduction amount.

I continue to feel pretty good. Will add updates in a few days.

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I need a little more help please. Here's a recap first:

-7 years on Zoloft 50mg twice daily as prescribed by my psychiatrist

-1 year on Zoloft 50mg daily...psychiatrist disapproved of this reduction, so only told him once, then did it on my own.

-1 week cold turkey...psychiatrist advised against going off AD, but finally said "Fine, come back in 3 months, and let me know how it's going."

-1 month on Zoloft 25mg daily

Yesterday I saw my psychiatrist. We discussed how things were going. I asked him to prescribe an oral suspension to assist me in my tapering. He obliged, but still prescribed dosage as if I was still on the 50mg twice daily.

Here's what I got:

180ML *SERTRALINE 10MG/CC ORAL SUSPENSION

TAKE 5ML TWICE DAILY FOR 7 DAYS,

THEN 5ML IN THE MORNING AND 2.5ML IN THE EVENING FOR 7 DAYS,

THEN 2.5ML TWICE DAILY FOR 7 DAYS,

THEN 2.5ML DAILY.

I still intend to taper at the 10% rate as previously discussed.

Does this sound correct?

5ML oral suspension=50MG capsule

In order to taper by 10% from 25MG that I've been taking for the past month, I would take 2.25ML of this new oral suspension???

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• 2 weeks later...

-7 years on Zoloft 50mg twice daily

-1 year on Zoloft 50mg daily -1 week cold turkey, felt terrible

-1 month on Zoloft 25mg daily, felt pretty decent

So for the next step of my taper, I went from 25 MG to 22 MG. Four days into this and I've developed some fairly major aches, and fluish feelings. Also...

On Friday night hubby and I went out and I had 4 gin and tonics. From what I've been reading, alcohol is a bad idea while tapering from an AD. Maybe that's what caused all this discomfort.

Does all this sound like common signs of withdrawal from zoloft?

Tonight I took 23 MG zoloft. I hope this gets me to feeling better.

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi cats - I merged your question with your introduction topic as this is your topic for questions relating to your taper and to journal your progress.

To answer your questions, achiness and flu- like symptoms are very common early withdrawal symptoms. Also, drinking 4 G&T is also not a good idea during a taper as this can further cloud the withdrawal picture. Your taper down from 25 to 22 is only slightly more than we would recommend, so it might be wise to keep a note of how you are feeling over the next few days. If these symptoms don't settle, get worse or you feel they are unacceptable, you could increase slightly to say 23.5mg. As Alto suggested, after a recent cold turkey reduction your nervous system can be a bit more sensitive. Be careful.

To work out your dosage:

(Dose required divided by stock strength) multiplied by volume. So that is (23.5mg divided by 50) x 5 = 2.35ml and so on as you decrease.

(my nursing pharmacology training was not wasted after all!)

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi cats,

I've seen you around here but this is the first time I've visited your thread, so (belated) welcome. I added your name to the title so it will be easier to find.

If you would be able to add your drug history in signature, it will save you having to re-enter it in other posts.

Here is a link with instructions:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I'm sorry you're not feeling so well... :(

Love,

Tezza

• Administrator

cats, you may need to stabilize on 25mg for a while. Try taking it consistently for a month. Then think about tapering.

Also, how much do you need rabeprazole? Do you truly have acid reflux? Those types of medications block the absorption of important nutrients, particularly vitamin B12, in the stomach. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2533-that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems/

You may wish to taper off the rabeprazole. Tapering reduces rebound reflux. Reducing by 25% a week might be enough.

Also, I suggest you enter all your drugs in this interaction checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html to see if any of the combinations are causing you additional problems. Print out the report and take it to your doctor.

Thanks to all. Alto, I take the rabeprazole for symptoms of acid reflux (regurgitation, burning in the stomach). Although my endoscopy 2 years ago showed nothing abnormal, my doc prescribed to alleviate symptoms, which it does mostly, unless I overdo it with food or drink...especially in the evening. I was taking 20MG twice daily, but I've been managing with taking it only once daily for the last couple of months. I'm afraid to taper any more right now, as I don't want to further upset my system.

After taking 23 MG zoloft last night, I'm a little better, but still not great. I'm going to go back up to 25MG for a couple of weeks, then try a smaller reduction.

SSRI History:

Other Presriptions

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• Administrator

Your system may be sensitized by prior bad withdrawal symptoms. Don't rush it.

You may wish to change your eating habits rather than to take a strong medication forever that you might not need.