Mr Toad: tapering sertraline

Toad

Hey everyone! I hope you are well! I'm a 26 yr old male in the process of withdrawing from sertraline. At my highest I was on 200mg, I have since come down to 75 mg. But I am struggling! I was wondering if you guys could offer the benefit of experience and maybe some encouragment. I have tried coming off before but I always hit this barrier. As soon as I drop below 100mg my breathing becomes very difficult. It is the physical side effect of anxiety even if I'm not anxious about anything in particular. I 'm also getting terrible sweating every now and again, which get's worse when I worry.So I sweat, worry I'm sweating and sweat some more! I am also ravenous! I just can't stop eating! I used to eat loads on the meds and have put loads of weight on, maybe 2-3 stone but I wasn't this hungry! Has anyone else had similar side effects. How did they steel themselves through and s there any outlook they can give me! All the best!

Mr Toad 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mr Toad, welcome to SA, you need to stay where you are or even up your dose a little because you are suffering from withdrawal.  How long did it take you to get to 75? My guess is that it was rather fast, but don't worry, most of us have done that and ended up here wondering what on earth  is happening!   As you have had problems under 100mg I think I would go back to 100 to stabilise then restart when symptoms have been minimal for a month or so, but that depends on how fast you have tapered to 75

We recommend tapering no more than 10% of the current dose with at least 4 weeks between cuts to allow the brain to catch up and adjust to the lower dose. 

Here is the topic for tapering sertraline 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/ 

The 3 KIS, very important read for tapering... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would help if you can add your drug history to your signature, here is how to do that.   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Those are the basics, others will be along to add their thoughts and expertise, I'm not too great myself right now and can't concentrate so have probably missed things! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I have tried coming off before but I always hit this barrier.

If you have had previous unsuccessful taper attempts, your best bet is to try a much slower taper, i.e. smaller dose drops with longer holds in between.  As MammaP said, drops of no more than 10% of each dose, waiting at least 4 weeks until stable before dropping again.  If you are really struggling at 75mg then you may be best to updose, say to 100mg, and then wait at least a few weeks to stabilise.  Once stable, you could restart your taper, going a lot slower.  In general, the slower you taper, the milder the symptoms.  I think it is better to take longer to get off the drug with bearable symptoms than try to tough it out feeling like a complete wreck.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hello Mamma P and Songbird! Thank you for your responses and hank you so much for moving my post Mamma P, there is a lot of kindness here on this site! :)

I started sertraline about 18 months ago. Dropped down to 100mg 6months ago and tried to go lower but found I couldn't breath! It took me about three weeks to get from 100 to 75 with the aid of an exacto knife and I have now been on 75 for a further 3 weeks! 

I find it amazing to think how difficult i found it coming on the medication. Life was a living hell for a long time all I wanted to do was give up and not take it. But now it's my safety/comfort zone and I can't breath without out (literally!). The body has an incredible capacity to adapt and that gives me a lot of hope because I know there will come a day when I'm off and taking a pill will make me feel terrible again. It's just a battle to get there! Funny how noone warns you how hard it is going to be to come off tese drugs once your body gets used to them in orthodox psychiatry!

How are you two getting on? 

Mamma P you said you weren't too great at the moment. Something I have been doing recently which has encouraged me is to to map my anxiety/depression/withdrawal difficulties out on a chart, out of 100. Every week I mark a cross, and what you begin to see is that on avergae, even though it may be very slow, the anxiety IS coming down. I then drew an imaginary line through all of my previous marks and extended it which gave me a rough idea of how long it would take me to stabilise. Seeing that line cross zero is very inspiring! I wouldn't be able to tell you were struggling. you have been really helpful! 

How are you Songbird?

I will update my signature-it's a very good idea. Best 

Jack 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for asking, I am doing pretty well on the whole, as I am doing such tiny drops.  In general, the slower you taper, the easier it tends to be.  I think most of us would never have started taking these meds if we'd had any idea they would be so difficult to get off.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Since dropping my dose in sertraline I'm experiencing hunger all the time! Has anyone else experienced this and how did they cope? I have already put on a lot of weight from the medication I don't want to put more on coming off! 

Best 

Toad 

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved the above post to your own introduction thread here. Please add information and updates about your changing circumstances, and ask questions here.

We have a discussion topic you may wish to read and add to:

Increased Appetite?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, MrToad.

Please read the links mammaP gave you above.

Psychiatric drugs often disturb the blood sugar mechanism. Are you getting regular gentle exercise? This can help regulate it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.