Lanah: Polydrugged: still on trazodone and seroquel

lanah

I need advise. I feel like I will end up without pills because the doc is starting to get annoyed with me for my prescriptions and he only gives me monthly prescriptions. 
So what do I do? Do I risk it and keep on this pad? Or do I ask for 2 mg cuts? from 15 to 13 to 11 to 9 (and from there I would like to go slower again) (I still have prescription until 15)
I'm so scared they will pressure me into cold turkeying that would be the end of me. 
But 2 mg is a big cut. 
I am so so scared; Please advise me :(

Several ssri's, antipsychotics, opiads and benzo's since 2003.

Flurazepam: rapid taper after 6 weeks usage in beginning of march 2015

Trazodone: rapid taper from 50ms to 0mgs end of july 2015

Current medication:12 mgs seroquel (from 25mgs)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lanah

• Shep

• Altostrata

• Marsha

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lanah,

There are some good ideas in this topic how-do-you-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal especially this post # 39

I can't find it at the moment, but someone was advised that when talking with their doctor they need to remain calm otherwise they will be seen as needing the drug or need a change or addition of drug.

Also, you may want to consider changing doctors (if that is possible - I'm not sure what the situation is in the UK).  All doctors are able to write prescriptions so it might be better to find one who is willing to listen to what you want to achieve.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

This is my history , my signature is too small. 

Was a very young teenager when this started

2003 paxil + risperdal 0,5  mgs
2006 efexor + risperdal
2009 2-week taper off efexor, staying on risperdal
withdrawal begins, but is not recognized 

2010-2012
starting and stopping different kinds of pills for unrecognized paws
AD's: citalopram, prothiaden and cymbalta
anti psychotic: tried a cross over from risperdal to invega but was unsuccesfull and went back on risperdal

Got tolerant to lorazepam. Unrecognized withdrawal. 
Cold turkey risperdal
benzo's:  lormetazepam, diazepam and lorazepam
unrecognized debilitating PAWS: tramadol and diazepam for pain

primperan for unrecognized PAWS
zolpidem, lormetazepam
bisoprolol
corticosteroids

tolerance to xanax: c/t ending up in hospital
flurazepam + seroquel
Doctor does not listen and tells me to just stop the pills
c/t flurazepam: HELL

found benzobuddies but unfortunately still believe AD's are not a problem. 
Accept trazodone: so trazodone 50mgs + seroquel 25mgs

2 month taper off trazodone 
Started tapering seroquel end of 2015

2016 17mgs (from 25) seroquel, severe kindling

Please advice. 
I'm planning to only taper to 15 mgs (which I have prescriptions for) And then say I am not stable and want to stay at 15 for a half year. 
I feel too unstable. 
I wonder, is this a good plan, waiting until my benzo withdrawal is further out? Or will it become more difficult because of being longer on it? 
I am very very sensitized though. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lanah , it sounds like a good plan to me to hold off tapering if you feel too unstable.

Doing a 10% decrease (when you're ready) from 17mg will bring you down to 15.3mg. More than 10% might rock your boat too much.

As you are so sensitive , it may be easier to do 2 separate 1mg cuts with a month in between , and see how that goes. Lots of members find 10% brings too many uncomfortable symptoms , and they find a smaller decrease more easier to accomodate.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me :'( I am freaking out non stop. Unable to withdraw from seroquel and having bad muscle contractions, dystonia, chest flutters,...
I am so scared of tardive dyskinesia that every time I take my seroquel I get panic attacks because of that thought. And when my legs start contracting I am even more scared

no sleep. I am a mess. I feel like my life is over. 
Please help me please

I will do a microtaper instead. 
Because I am constantly scared of TD. And it triggers other waves. So I need to continue in order to calm down mentally. Starting with a 0,3 mg cut. Tonight. I have acupuncture on monday so that will be just in time. 

How much dose you are taking ?

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

• Moderator Emeritus

I just read your post in Symptoms Lanah.

Are you really starting with 0.3 of a mg cut , or is that a typo?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

is that too big? 

it's 1,76 percent of 17. So I thought that was ok? 

I tapered down to 17 mgs of seroquel right now. But I was on risperdal for ten years before, cold turkeyed that, went on benzo's and ssri's and after two years added seroquel. 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's fine , it's a teeny tiny cut.   You should be fine.

I can't tell from your notes when in 2015 you stopped any benzos.  

If you're too nervous , or find even this tiny cut too disruptive , it's okay to wait longer on the same dose of seroquel.

I just realized you tapered trazodone from 50mg to 0 in 2 months , and that's very fast.  It explains why you are feeling unstable at the moment.  

On top of that , you've decreased from 25mg to 17mg seroquel.

It's all too quick for your brain to adjust to.

"Accept trazodone: so trazodone 50mgs + seroquel 25mgs

2 month taper off trazodone 
Started tapering seroquel end of 2015

2016 17mgs (from 25) seroquel, severe kindling"

For people like you and me , who have been on these meds for so many years , I don't think there's anything to be gained by rushing the tapering process.

I know you're worried about TD.  You need to balance that with logic.  If you crash you'll be re-medicated and the whole cycle will start again.  If this is going to be your last taper , listen to your body and let it guide you.

Better to go at a snails pace and recover as we go.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

But what about td? I'm so scared. I constantly have muscle contractions in my body. I'm so scared :( 
I don't want permanent damage. 

can someone explain to me when this is permanent? Am I going to be ok? I feel with a microtaper I could get off seroquel at the beginning of 2017

• Administrator

When did these movements start?

What kind of doctor are you seeing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Just a gp, these movements started a few days ago

• Administrator

lanah, can you see a neurologist as soon as possible?

This is not a good symptom. I'm hesitant to tell you to go off all the way, but that might be all you can do.

Marsha recently went through something similar with a related drug, Geodon:

Marsha: can I taper off geodon before gabapentin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'll call the neurologist tomorrow. 

I have an appointment with the neurologist in two weeks. I'm making a tiny cut tonight. (didn't do it yesterday) Do you think that is ok? (time wise, those two weeks) It's hard to calm down, but I know I have to because it is not helping me all this fear and agitation about the seroquel. 

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd ask the neurologist's office to let you know if anything earlier becomes available.

Yes, tardive dyskinesia is not necessarily permanent, but you want to remove the drug as soon as you can.

If I were you, I'd continue to make tiny cuts. You may have withdrawal symptoms, though, I'm sorry for that, please be strong, you'll get through this.

I'm tapering but going slow, because there is always the chance that it's a benzo wave/trazodone wave. (i have GI issues right now too so that is maybe a sign?) I want to wait until the neurologist before making any big decisions. 
Thanks for the tip though, I would have never considered calling my neurologist , I think it's a good idea to ask him. 

• Administrator

Are these movements coming in waves?

It's the first time , a few days ago they wouldn't be constant now they are much much worse. I'm on 16 mgs right now. 
I'm so scared. i'll describe it:

Constant hard vibrating (not the kind I had with the trazodone taper, but really hard as if I would shake off of my bed) Twitching, jerking. (all over my body. It's like I have epilepsy I don't know but when I move it's better. I'm so scared If I get off too fast I know I will have a psychotic breakdown because when I cold turkeyed my risperdal it was this way

i am so scared :'(

I know the panic attacks are induced by my recent cut but it does not mean I'm not in possible danger :'(
I am so alone. i cannot take this. If a 7% cut makes me this disabled I will not be able to rapid taper. And I do not know if I have TD or not :'(

My life is over :'( :'( :'(

• Administrator

Please, stay calm. Can you take 18mg Seroquel?

When you talked to the neurologist's office, did you say you were having movements from Seroquel? Can they see you earlier?

No I did not, I will call again once they open their office. I have found it's gotten worse by tapering. Is this normal? If it's a side effect it should get better, so it's just withdrawal? Don't know. it's terrible at this point. God. Help me. 

I need to call back around noon. He wil see what he can do. I explained it to him

I called my psychiatrist first and he said it's not from the seroquel it's probably stress or he has never seen that in patients. Ok. o.o 
Still need to call the neurologist

I can't even ... how can a psychiatrist not take these things seriously? He said: you've been on it for so long, it cannot do that now. 

Hi Lanah,

I have been reading some of your posts bc I suffer from dystonia. I really identify with your fear and stress. I just want to let you know that even your neurologist might be somewhat ignorant of symptoms of TD. So ultimately you want to see a neurologist who is a "movement disorder specialist". Bc even a general neurologist might look at your condition quizzically and run a million tests on you before referring you to a specialist.

Please stay strong. I totally know what you're going through. Please feel free to reach out to me if you need.

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

They also should be willing to take your appointment sooner, if not asap, since they understand the urgency.

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

• Administrator

Yes, the movement disorder can be triggered by tapering, as a withdrawal syndrome.

You need to find a new psychiatrist, then file a complaint against the one you have. He does not know a dangerous adverse effect of antipsychotics.

There is a specialist in withdrawal 80 km's further. It's in a big city and I'm a country person, plus with my agora phobia. I'm looking into if there is someone who wants to accompany me. (it sounds pathetic I know, but I'm so scared in big cities