Calcalm Sertraline/Zoloft. I'm new.

Calcalm

Hi

I withdrew from diazepam about a year ago but was still on Sertraline 100 mg. I felt good and wanted to get to a drug free state. So, I slowly tapered over 8 months, dropping 50mg every 2-3 weeks. I jumped from 25 mg twice a week 3 months ago. I was great for the first 6 weeks but over last 4-6 weeks have had growing anxiety and panic and palpitations. So scary to feel I'm going down that road again. I started taking the odd 50 mg tablet and the odd diazepam to cope.

I am not sure if it is sertraline withdrawal as lots of stuff I've read says the withdrawal effects come quicker than that within 2-3 weeks of stopping. If I go to my GP she will just say start sertraline again as she doesn't seem to know much about SSRIs or benzos. I've reinstated at 25 mg a day 4 days ago but don't know if I've done the right thing. Should I stop them and just press on? go to 50mg and start tapering again?

Thanks for any advice

Callie. Ps - can't work out how to edit signature yet but will asap!

Sertraline 100 mg for 3 years. Started withdrawal 10 months ago. Jumped 3 months ago. Feeling anxious +++

Jumped from Diazepam 2 years ago.

hi calcalm Welcome to SA.Someone will be along to advise you soon.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cali , welcome to the site.  

Has there been any relief since reinstating 25mg ?     It takes 4 days to reach a steady state in your blood stream , so it would just be kicking

in now.  You want to stabilize on the lowest dose possible , so don't be quick to jump up to 50mg.

It's important to take the same dose every day to stabilize , no alternate days.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh.

Today is day 7 of 25mg and I have felt a bit less anxious today so hopefully symptoms are starting to ease. Having trembling, palpitations and need to be moving most of the time which is darn tiring!!

Very difficult to be at work and pretend to be ok but I guess it's good to try and do this.

Do you know how long it will take to stabilise?

Thank you

Callie

Sertraline 100 mg for 3 years. Started withdrawal 10 months ago. Jumped 3 months ago. Feeling anxious +++

And thanks for the tip on FOLLOWING. It took my ages to find my post but I'm getting the hang of it now....

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you dodged a bullet there Cali . . . beginning to improve is a fantastic result.  

No one can predict how long things will take , but if the 25mg daily is helping then you should stick with that for a good few months now after your recent hiccup.

The "need to be moving all the time" sounds suspiciously like akathisia . . . if walking or pacing or engaging in tasks helps relieve it , then just do it.

This is a symptom that can escalate regardless of how tired you are - I had it for months after a too-fast taper , and it's dreadful.  

Consider taking some leave from work if you think it will help , but hopefully it will be onwards and upwards from here.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Calcalm.

Good for you, you've reinstated. After some months, you can "do over" the last bit of your taper.

As Fresh said, if you're feeling a bit better, that's a good sign.

Withdrawal symptoms do not always show up right away, that's a common misconception.

See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, Calcalm. I agree with Fresh about the akathisia. I have had it for about 12.5 months now after going off Zoloft much too fast 13.5 months ago.

Like Alto said, withdrawal symptoms don't always show up right away. Mine didn't show up for a month, and I have seen others longer than that.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good Luck!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been back on 25 mg for just over 2 weeks now. I have definitely improved but still get several episodes of sudden anxiety each day. They settle more quickly than they did, I feel more in control of them. I tend to have low level anxiety most of the time with frequent palpitations. Is this normal, should I stay at 25mg?

I'm happy to be somewhat improved but also fed up that I'm back on these drugs. I will get off them one day, won't I?!

Thanks for your support. Really don't know where I would have turned without it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes you will get off them one day. I believe that 100 percent. However, I recommend that you throw away the calendar and focus on coming off them well rather than in any particular timeframe. Impatience has been the downfall of many of us.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan