Newhope: Risperidone

Newhope

Hello everybody,

I'm Newhope from Brasil, 29 y o, and was given risperidone 2 mg to me two months ago. Now the doctor gave me 4 months more to the use of this medication and after stop. I already tried to stop abruptly in the first month, it wasn't a good idea and felt many withdrawal symptoms, like anxiety, no hunger, hard to sleep, sense of air lacking, heat waves in the body, depression, a feeling that I would die and negative thoughts which came in my mind automatically. Sensations never felt before.

I talked to three doctors and all told me to give a time and use this medication for some months and later stop, two of them said me that they switch to a drug easier to leave and the other pdoc's method is tapering it gradually.

Now I have to choose and the elected method I intend to write here how it's going.

That's it and thanks.

07/30/2013 Risperidone 2mg (tablet)

11/03/2013 Risperidone 1mg (tablet)

01/24/2014 stopped taking Risperidone

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5032-newhope-risperidone/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Newhope,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting an introduction.  All those symptoms sound very much like withdrawal and not very nice, its good you found this site and will be able to taper safely.

Here is our Risperidone tapering information:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/

Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context when they read your posts, this can be updated as you make progress.  Instructions here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You will find a lot of friendly support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Dear Newhope:

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering. You have already gotten good advice to read the tips for tapering Rusperidone. In general (my personal opinion) is that switching to a different drug (with antipsychotics) is not a good idea. This can further destabilize a system that has already taken a hit.

If you have only been on drugs for a little while, hopefully, you will not have as difficult a time as people who've been on a long time. Take very good care of yourself.

Regards,

Ed

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Newhope, Welcome! I strongly advise you to use the liquid Risperidone and taper as gradually as you need to, to minimize WD symptoms.

I've been tapering off .5mg of Risperidone for over two years after a failed CT in September 2011. I was put on Risperidone in April 2011at 1mg. In July 2011, I started breaking it in half for .5mg. In January 2012 I started using liquid and was on .375mg at that time.

I had all the same WDsymptoms that you experienced. I left it off for two weeks and did not eat one bite of food for that two weeks. This is a very powerful medication. I'm down to .125mg, just over tenth of 1mg.

Be careful not to let any doctor rush you to get off it too fast. I agree with Edted, I wouldn't switch to another med because you would likely still have WDs from the Risperidone.

I had been on for only five months when I tried to stop.

Take care!

• 3 weeks later...

Updating: Today I went to pdoc and he prescribed Risperidone 1 mg. My 2 mg medication is ending, remaining about 6 tablets. I already got the new medication.

I talked with the doctor about posible problems in decreasing this amount and he said it may not be a problem. So, let's see.

• Administrator

That would be a 50% decrease. Few doctors grasp the difficulties of withdrawal. He may assure you a 50% decrease is no big deal, but he doesn't have to deal with withdrawal symptoms, you do.

We recommend a more gradual reduction, 10% for conservative safety.

You might cut your 2mg tablets into quarters and take 3/4 of a tablet to move to 1.50mg to bridge the gap between 2mg and 1mg.

Or, can you ask him for liquid Risperdal instead?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto,

I have more 4 tablets of 2 mg risperidone and he wrote a medical prescription of 30 tablets 1 mg risperidone and I already bought it.

Perharps I'll try it and if I begin to feel any little symptom, like be sleepless and without hunger, which is the beginning of the withdrawal symptoms, I'll immeadiately take 2 tablets of 1 mg and go talk to him.

Any news I'll write here.

• Administrator

Why do that when you can reduce more gradually? It's not good for your nervous system to give it withdrawal symptoms for any length of time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto!

If I were to go to the pdoc, it would be only within some time and I have just 3 tablets 2mg and also guess it may be worth give a chance and see the first reaction to this new dose.

If all this fail, I'll use two tablets 1mg until the day of doctor's visit comes and suggest the liquid usage. Thanks for your comments Alto.

Updating: Hi everybody, I'm on the third day, from 2mg/day to 1mg/day and, until now, things are going well. Happy. I don't know if it's helping, but I'm taking orthomolecular medicine as well, since one month and a half ago.

• 2 months later...

I went to my pdoc this month and he said to stop taking tablets. And I did it day 24. So, it's being 6 days without risperidone and until now all is ok, without any withdrawal symptoms.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear people, I'm so happy and wanna share with you that it's been today a month that I'm totally free from risperidone without any withdrawal symptoms along these thirty days.

It's special because was a terrible suffering when tried to be without the drug in the first attempt when went in cold turkey with 2 mg of the drug, but in this second time with 1 mg it was so simple and easy. But cannot say to be sure it will work for everbody because to have heard from here and in other posts in the web that some people who tried to stop with lesser amounts of the drug suffered the withdrawal symptoms - who were taking 0,1 mg or even less when stopped, suffered. While others who broke with bigger amounts like 1, 2 or more mg have succeeded. So, guess it depends on every circunstance of each person.

I'd like to thank all people for the care.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks a lot for updating us and please let us know how you are doing from time to time, especially after let's say another 30 days.

Most people forget to check in when they feel better so thanks for remembering the forum ;)

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

That is brilliant to hear Newhope, I'm so glad that you aren't having withdrawal symptoms and

you are getting on with your life.  It makes me so happy to see people who have succeeded in

getting off the meds, thank you for updating .   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 1 month later...

People, it already is 2 months since I don't take risperidone anymore and all is going well, without any symptoms.

I'd like to add that my prolactin was too high in 12/09/2013, when i had taken this medicine, pointed 39 ng/ml (when the standard levels were 2,5 to 17 ng/ml for men and 3,0 to 20 for women).

I stopped risperidone in 01/24/2014 and took a new blood exam in 03/13/2014, going to normal level, 8,39 ng/ml.

Thanks to all.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for updating, Newhope. I'm so pleased that you sre doing so well and that your prolactin levels 

are better, it's great news  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody,

People, since the time I posted to have stopped risperidone, haven't taken any dose. But I noted since two months ago or more that my left nipple is hurting a little when pressed or touched. Besides that, a kind of nodule (it's not hard like a stone nor too soft) has arisen and guess it has grown since when was taking risperidone, but at that time, the pain wasn't present, only at the last months before stopped.

In my right nipple there's nothing, totally normal, without any nodule or pain.

Just remembering that my prolactin was too high. I made an appointment and I'm going there next month. Any news, I'll put here.

Even I'm not taking psych meds anymore, guess it may be useful to share this to enrich with more informations about the possible relation with this medication.

I also would like to greet all Surviving's members and aspire that all of you may well. : )

My brotherly hugs,

Newhope

• Administrator

Risperidone is notorious for causing gynecomastia (breast development in males). There are a number of law firms in the U.S. pursuing suits against the manufacturer for this.

See http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/11/25/risperdal-can-have-troubling-side-effects-in-boys/