ThoughtTree: Staying positive - Six months off Lexapro

ThoughtTree

Hi everyone

It has been six months since I took my last dose of Lexapro. 
I have slowly been reducing the dosage since October 2012, after being on 10mg for six months. I would experience some irritability, nausea and a fair amount of dizziness with each drop. This would usually stabilize and I would wait a week or two before my next reduction.

By mid 2014 I was on approximately 0.7mg and I considered the process to be going well. For some or other reason I was under the impression that a slow taper would dramatically minimize withdrawal after my last dose, and with the help of supplements, it should hopefully be a relatively smooth journey. I realize now that perhaps that was rather naive. 

In March 2015 I had a baby. At this point I was still taking 0.19ml. From the day my baby was born, I started experiencing hot flashes and palpitations. I put this down to hormones - eventually. It caused a bit of panic at first.

Slowly, more and more sensations were appearing. I experienced what I have now learnt is internal vibrations. I would wake constantly in the night in panic with a strange wavy/pulsating sensation though my body. I started to experience regular panic attacks and of course I had some sadness because I had no idea what was happening to me.

I was told by friends and my OB/GYN (who was aware of the medication and my attempt to wean) that I was suffering from postpartum depression and should consider antidepressants. Of course not something I considered an option. With the help of my doctor I started magnesium, B-complex and fish oil. This helped tremendously. I had stopped the lexapro (in hindsight the lack of sleep must have affected my judgement) when my husband stated that it was such a small dose that my body was most likely not even registering the small amount I was taking daily.

By May 2015, I started having visual disturbances which have not really eased. This lead to many panic attacks. At this point I had still not put 2+2 together. I was having constant abdominal pain, I had pins and needles in my arms and legs, buzzing in my veins, extreme fatigue, drops in blood sugar and one of the worse was a feeling that my whole body was slowing down and I was about to die.  I feel weak very quickly.  Drained and light-headed. Recently I experienced a burning sensation all over my skin, especially my hands, when trying to sleep. This lead to an agitated anxiety that I struggled to calm with breathing exercises. 

I have long periods of feeling awful and then a day will pop up after two months where there are moments that I almost feel normal. This is of course not a comprehensive list of all the symptoms I have been experiencing, but a rough gauge of where I am now. My daily goal is just to get through the day.

I've read that some have mild symptoms which ramped up after 6 / 12 / 18 months. 

Has anyone experienced symptoms straight away that actually did ease up after a few months? Wishful thinking on my part?

Should I have considered tapering further past 0.19mg?

I am trying to see the good in all this, trying to stay positive. Any suggestions for the road ahead would be appreciated!

October 2011 - Given sertraline 50mg for dizziness. 

Not informed that this was an antidepressant. Stopped after 2-3 weeks as it was not helping with dizzy spells.

March 2012 - Given escitalopram 10mg 

October 2012 - Became aware of what I had been prescribed. Started slow taper.

April 2015 - Last dose escitalopram 0.19ml liquid.

Hi ThoughtTree-- Welcome to the group.  Boy that is bad luck to be hit like this after doing what sounds like a proper taper,  I'm so sorry to hear how badly you're feeling.  These drug play Holy H*** with peoples hormones, especially you ladies.  I suspect that the strong hormonal changes brought about by the birth of your child tripped off you already sensitive CNS which started all the unpleasantness.

There wasn't a whole lot further you could have tapered, so you would have been jumping off very soon anyway, so I don't think that is a major factor.  It was such a small amount and long enough ago that I don't think a reinstatement would be practical (Alto would be of more help there).

Although not everyone gets them there are often waves of symptoms that happen at around the intervals that you mentioned (6, 12, 18 months).  Although they can be intense at times, in general those waves are short lived and end with marked improvements.

Magnesium and fish oil have shown to be helpful.  But I would be very careful with the B-complex especially B-12 which frequently causes anxiety and panic to ramp up.

And thank you for filling in a signature block, it really makes it a lot easier for us to figure out what is happening so we can give better information.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I would have to agree in suspecting hormonal changes bringing on withdrawal. 

I considered the first few months to be rough, so I was really hoping that by now I would not be experiencing new symptoms. They seem to take longer to pass which makes me feel despondent. 

Today is one of those days where the buzzing veins and tingling in my arms have decided to stick around a little longer than just a few hours. I guess this takes a lot of acceptance - this being the new "normal".

I will go a little slower on the B-complex and look into individual B vitamins. Definitely don't need anything stimulating at this point.

Thank you for your feedback Brassmonkey.

Not informed that this was an antidepressant. Stopped after 2-3 weeks as it was not helping with dizzy spells.

• Administrator

Welcome, ThoughtTree.

It sounds like you were tapering every week or two. That might have been a little too fast for your nervous system. Then the pregnancy changed the hormone profile.

This is by no means a sure thing, but you might try reinstatement of .10mg escilatopram to stabilize, then taper off by tiny amounts later. Escilatopram comes in a liquid (you're probably familiar with this).

Read What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

The B vitamins can indeed be activating. How much magnesium and fish oil are you taking? See
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Just wanted to sa I'my- recent post partum mom too (baby born in June) I tapered during and after my pregnancy from sertraline. I'm not back 100% but I'm better than I was at my worst

11/20/14-Found out I was 8 weeks pregnant
1/30/15-Went to ER for panic attacks, insomnia. Put on Lorazepam 2 X daily and Trazodone 50mg for 2 weeks
Started seeing psychiatrist 2/10- told to CT Lorazepam and trazodone increased to 100mg. Began Zoloft 25mg Zoloft increased 2/16 to 50mg, Trazodone increased to 200mg.

2/20- CT trazodone-lots of GI stress, increased anxiety

2/25 Reduced zoloft to 37.5mg no problems

3/12 reduced to 25mg  no problems

3/19 reduced to 12.5 mg. Hit by a 3.5 week wave-insomnia, Intrusive thoughts, depression, stomach cramps

Reduced to 11mg using liquid taper on 4/10 after a week of a great window. Started another wave 4/13-hoping it's a much smaller wave

Jumped off at 2mg 4 days after the birth of our baby on 6/16/15-massive crash

Tried 5mg Lexapro for 4 days July 2015-it didn't help

7.5-15 mg mirtazapine 1-2X week from August-January 2016 for insomnia. Sometimes used more, sometimes used less during sleep windows/waves. Quit being effective for insomnia in January 2016. 

Have a perscription for alprazolam .5mg PRN but it doesn't work on me for sleep

Welcome ThoughtTree. Congratulations on the baby! Sorry to hear that you are suffering with withdrawal symptoms. It must be difficult with a newborn to care for. It is good that you are taking the fish oil and magnesium. I have heard that fish oil is vital after the birth of a baby because the mother is often depleted. Sometimes just knowing that the symptoms you have are related to withdrawal is helpful in avoiding the panic attacks. I hope that you start to see improvement shortly. 

Thanks Altostrata.

I take 2 x 120mg magnesium capsules each morning and at night.

The liquid fish oil I have contains 950mg EPA and 725mg DHA per serving. I was having three times this amount initially a few months back as instructed by my doctor. I now only have the daily serving occasionally when I can talk myself past the taste and gag reflex.

I had about four weeks between each dose reduction, but my initial drops from 10mg - 5mg had a higher percentage. I dropped 1mg every four weeks. After that I went with about 10% and would reduce a week after I felt stable.

You have raised a valid point. I believed I had tapered slow enough but in hindsight it may have been too fast.

I will have a look at the links you attached.

Hi GoodSarah,

That really does make me feel some relief, thank you. I hope you continue to have better days!

Thanks you Princessstarburst. It hasnt been easy, but I'm fortunate that my husband helps where he can. In some ways caring for my baby helps distract me from everything that is going on. I'm a little sad that I don't have the energy and enthusiasm that I had with my firstborn, but I am trying.

You are correct, accepting what is going on really does help minimize panic. A few weeks ago I was convinced something else was wrong with me and every symptom would cause panic and of course cause further symptoms to appear. 

You made a valid point along with Altostrata with regards to the fish oil. I need to get back to taking this daily.

I just read about your hard time on lexapro. I have to agree with you about feeling betrayed. 

Slow and steady. You can do this! :)

Hi,

Lexapro is known to have delayed withdrawal symptoms even after a long taper.

Reading over your symptoms sounds typical of what Lexapro does to people after they taper and stop. 

By mistake I cold turkeyed off 5 mg Lexapro, and I got hit with the palpitations and flashes seven months after my last dose.

Then more symptoms popped up over the next few months after that.

But I am healing, it just takes quite some time, and lots of patience.

The main thing right now is that you are aware that all these symptoms are likely due to Lexapro withdrawal.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi Clearday

I just read some of your experiences. You have had a rough time for sure. Your positive attitude in spite of this is reassuring.

I was still on 0.19mg when I had my baby, but the symptoms started that day. I definitely think that labour and hormones changed how my body handled the withdrawal.
I stopped lexapro a few weeks later without realizing what was responsible for how I was feeling. I had withdrawal symptoms previously, but they were completely manageable.
The last seven months have been hard. Fortunately I have had two windows which has given me hope.

Knowing that the strange sensations are related to withdrawal definitely helps me stay calm. Well...calmer than before.
I am however struggling with something I don't know how to put into words. I will attempt to do so now as it seems to be happening more often and it frightens me every time. If it is not related to withdrawal, I should probably get it checked out. I've mentioned it to a doctor some time back, and they gave me a puzzled look. I searched under the "Symptoms and Self Care" section and couldn't find anything quite like this.

I start to feel weak and lightheaded. I don't know what low blood pressure feels like but it feels like my blood pressure lowers, like my heart rate slows (if I take my pulse by hand it doesn't seem too slow, but I physically feel like it is), my breathing feels like a challenge. It feels like my body is slowing down to die. I realize this sounds absurd. I cant think of any other way to explain it. 

It happen again yesterday and twice the day before. It takes a couple of hours to pass. It happens during both windows and waves.

Have you experienced anything like this, or know of anyone experiencing similarly?

Thoughttree

I am sorry for what you are going through right now. I am off Zoloft for 29 months now. When I came off it fully on May 17,2013 - I was coping well, had side effects but was able to cope with them. Then around 7 months off - all hell broke loose and the symptoms I already had escalate and more appeared.

What type of visual disturbances did you have. I have sensitive to light and distorted vision and blurred vision.

If we are having other stressors in our lives besides WDs it can make WDs worse. I have that...terrible life stressors....so 3 days ago I made the decision to leave a person that I love so much but I realised that love was never returned. It was the most difficult decision of my life - the pain I so severe.

But I am counting on me healing from that - time is a great healer - and I am hoping that by doing this my WDs will markedly improve because both life stressors and WDs symptoms attack our Central Nervous System - so mine was and is working over time.

I am lost now - and still in the woods - but you know what - I am going in the direction of Emerald City and there I will find my way home.

I hope you are happy In your life - and there are not too many stressors for you. We all have them no one is free of the pain of life....it is just when we have to deal with WDs too it makes it almost unbearable.

Hang in there you are doing great - don't let a doctor tell you that you are feeling this way because you need to take more antidepressants. You are feeling this way BECAUSE of the antidepressant.

I wish you.....enough

Love

Lee (female)

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

I have felt like that especially last August. I told my pdoc who had me take tests. They came back normal. He said he thinks it was hormonal. My blood pressure and heart rate were ok too.

I can't imagine how you are doing it with a brand new baby. If you can take time outs have someone you trust watch your child while you rest.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

I start to feel weak and lightheaded. I don't know what low blood pressure feels like but it feels like my blood pressure lowers, like my heart rate slows (if I take my pulse by hand it doesn't seem too slow, but I physically feel like it is), my breathing feels like a challenge. It feels like my body is slowing down to die. I realize this sounds absurd. I cant think of any other way to explain it. 

Have you experienced anything like this, or know of anyone experiencing similarly?

No, I have not experienced that one yet. But I have experienced so many strange sensations, chest tightness, difficulty catching a breath, racing heart, palpitations, chronic hypnogogic jerks, hot flashes, paresthesia, brain fog, wavy sensations in the brain, brain "blackouts" (for a split second only once) all due to Lexapro withdrawal.

So I am not surprised at all when I hear all the weird things that go on with people in Lexapro withdrawal. It has affected our autonomic nervous system, resulting in waves of dysautonomia - instability in basic functions like heart rate and breathing. 

It could be something else, but pretty much everything I've gone through during these past two years is all new to me, and clearly all part of this protracted Lexapro withdrawal, confirmed by reading so many other stories on here with similar package of symptoms. All medical and blood tests saying everything is just fine. 

It would be prudent to have it checked out with a cardiologist, to rule out anything else. 

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi Lee,

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling after 29 months, and that you had to face such a tough decision wrt the person you love. At a time where you need the most support, it can't be easy.

Stressors definitely aggravate symptoms. I have a feeling that in my case symptoms are getting worse again due to a stressful time I am anticipating. 

I find that my vision changes. Sometimes I see white flashes or flashing spots. I have floaters. Sometimes I feel like there is not enough light and everything is dimming. Other times everything feels very bright. My focus is not as good as it used to be. I've also notice that even though I've had my eyes checked in May, I cant see far as I used to. Even without the above, something doesn't feel right and it turns my day upside down. Almost like my eyes are restless.

I am trying to manage the stressors, but life is life. Some things cant be avoided. I'm working on being mindful and expressing gratitude. We are alive and life is a blessing.

I hope that your decision will offer you some relief long term.

Lexy, thank you. This one does tend to cause a lot of stress because I haven't read much about people experiencing it.  Has this stopped happening now?

I've been reading more and more about dysautonomia, Clearday. Its probably one of the bigger things making me second guess myself at the moment. Thank you for bringing that up. That seems to make the most sense. 

Sometimes one symptom will lead the pack. right now I have anxiety and mood swings are returning again. The faint and lightheadedness moved to the background.

For some withdrawals are aggravated by hormonal changes. My doc explained that the hormonal changes can occur before and after during your period and withdrawals can be affected even days or a week after your cycle. And last for weeks. ????

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Thank Lexy. I wish I had known before how hormones could affect withdrawal. I might have done it all slightly differently!

Does dysautonomia ever become an emergency or serious in withdrawal?

Looks like I am moving back towards a wave and I have all those neuro emotions adding fuel to the fire.

I have had symptoms since I stopped Lexapro, but some symptoms just seem to hang around longer now and are more intense. I understand this sometimes happens. Perhaps my naive positivity had me hoping my 30 month taper counts for something. I've been trying to stay active, forcing myself to leave the house and continue my routine. Quite honestly I also do not like the idea of being home alone again. I think I am exhausting myself trying to stay social and out of the house.

I have really been struggling to do anything though over the last week. Getting up to make food, bending down to get washing out of the machine, standing for even a very short period of time - It all makes me feel weak and gives me a weird sometimes numbing, sometimes tingly sensation on the left side of me chest. I have tried to accept the pins and needles. I've also tried to accept the internal vibrations. I'm trying to control my reaction to these things when they happen (and it makes a difference), but this weird feeling I cannot describe? That's whats getting to me the last few days. 

Does dysautonomia ever become an emergency or serious in withdrawal?

Getting up to make food, bending down to get washing out of the machine, standing for even a very short period of time - It all makes me feel weak and gives me a weird sometimes numbing, sometimes tingly sensation on the left side of me chest. I have tried to accept the pins and needles. I've also tried to accept the internal vibrations. I'm trying to control my reaction to these things when they happen (and it makes a difference), but this weird feeling I cannot describe? That's whats getting to me the last few days. 

Dysautonomia could become an emergency, depending on the person's state of health - e.g., tachycardia and palpitations is dangerous for someone with a heart condition.

In my opinion, symptoms similar to orthostatic/postural hypotension - i.e. feeling dizzy when getting up quickly - during SSRI WD are consistent with the rest of the dysautonomia that's happening due to the WD. Indescribable weird feelings during this sure sounds like SSRI WD.  

Especially with this Lexapro. I went through a few years of protracted WD from Prozac many years ago. It was bad. But now that I'm in protracted WD from Lexapro, I can only describe the many sensations I have had during Lexapro WD as bizarre, very weird - indescribable.

24 months SSRI-free  

Today has been rough.

Emotionally I have been okay, with the odd day here or there of sadness over the last few months. I did have some severe panic attacks the first 2 months.

My symptoms have very much been physical.

Today, out of nowhere, a thought popped in my head that SSRI withdrawal is all in my mind and that I'm just insane??! That I just made up this online group and it's not real.

What a freaking scary place to be.

Of course with the typically anxious mind,  this thought evolved a whole lot over the afternoon. Automatically everything is worst case.

Are these just neuro emotions going over the top? Something that passes?

Yes, these waves come and go.

You are clearly in classic Lexapro WD, it affects both psychological and physical very much. 

24 months SSRI-free  

It's awful. First of this kind to be added to my mix. The last two days have been very stressful. I'm guessing it doesn't help the situation.

From a number of people I know passing this last week to seeing more than one car accident the last few days - life is so short. It's sad that this withdrawal is stealing our days.

I was robbed of a normal life for about three years due to Prozac WD.

Now I've lost two years so far due to Lexapro WD.

But I have many good days aside from the very bad waves that I have.

And many more good days ahead as I slowly heal and recover.

I plan to make the most of what I have left. 

24 months SSRI-free  

That's a long time and yet you still have a good attitude despite of it.

Thank you for reminding me to stay positive, Clearday!

SSRI withdrawal has been ridiculously brutal, confusing, and long lasting for me, and for so many others here.

These drugs have caused long term misery to so many people, as we can see from the countless stories.

But there is real reason to hope for recovery, many have greatly suffered for a few years and got better. 

Informing ourselves about the true nature of this recovery process, from reading all the informative threads on websites such as this, is crucial to recovery.

I have no choice but to hang on for the long haul. My family needs me. And I still have a strong survival instinct, I want to survive this. During the worst waves, I have SI, getting tired of fighting the battle, wondering how long it will take to get better, and if I will ever get better.  But knowing that it is a wave, that it will pass, and that recovery is happening, keeps me going. It is very challenging, to say the least. 

I had a great day today, minimal symptoms. My old self is very much intact underneath the bad WD symptoms. In fact, the last three weeks have been mostly ok. On days like today, I can look back at the last two years of withdrawal, and see just how much healing has happened. A few bad symptoms I used to have are all gone. So of course, if so much healing has already happened, then more healing can still happen. The process continues to be very dynamic, even this far out. That's the nature of this. 

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

The post partum hormones that I had were wonderful........just goes to show how different we can all be.  Did you breast feed.......that was also a good hormone for me.  This was all years and years ago and I was on an AD throughout.  So maybe apples and oranges anyway.

Did you ever find out what caused your dizziness when you first started in 2011?  Maybe........don't know but maybe there is some other factor at play, although I don't know what..........  how much of a work up did you get done for this at the start?  

Yes on the palpitations(not so much now) and just some night blurry vision more recently........ at a year out from Lexapro.  Of course I have a whole different history of psych meds. so may not apply.  

Congratulations on the baby.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Today has been rough.

Emotionally I have been okay, with the odd day here or there of sadness over the last few months. I did have some severe panic attacks the first 2 months.

My symptoms have very much been physical.

Today, out of nowhere, a thought popped in my head that SSRI withdrawal is all in my mind and that I'm just insane??! That I just made up this online group and it's not real.

What a freaking scary place to be.

Of course with the typically anxious mind,  this thought evolved a whole lot over the afternoon. Automatically everything is worst case.

Are these just neuro emotions going over the top? Something that passes?

hi ThoughtTree, Just read your intro. You did all the right thing slow tapering. It must be very disappointing the last tiny dose gaves you that much problems! We are on the same boat that we were put one these drugs for off label use!

I am so sorry you had a tough day! Me too always physical symptoms are my main complain. What are the physical symptoms you are experiencing now?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 4 months later...

I wish I could say my absence was due to a speedy recovery. 

I could not remember my password and I figured maybe it was a good thing - a sign that keeping away may shield possible negativity which could hinder healing - instead of requesting a password reset.

Well, its been one year of symptoms (fortunately with windows). I reread my thread and see it may have been confusing. my drops werent every two weeks, I waited two weeks after I would stabilise, which would normally be after 4 weeks. So there were about 6 weeks between drops, sometimes longer if I didnt feel great. Only thing I can say is initially I may have dropped more than 10% going from 9mg to 8mg etc, but once I got to 5mg a few years back I went a lot slower.

I held at 0.19mg for 3 months before the frightening withdrawal hit. Withdrawal was there but barely noticeable until that point. So needless to say I am very very confused why this all turned out the way it has.

I have had some decent windows (where some physical symptoms stayed constant but seemed somewhat manageable), but lately everything feels intensified and issues I thought were gone for good have resurfaced. Im really struggling to understand why this has happened. Probably not a productive use of time, but of course its upsetting. Im not even going into the anger. I know I need to work through that. I remember telling myself that by a year it all should have balanced out and returned to normal. I had spent the last year way under 1mg going slowing, it will pass quickly - I felt good and I was functional. Im still waiting. Trying to be patient.   

To be fair, there has been an increase in stress over the last 4 months. This could contribute to what has been happening - but as things have been settling down there has still not been the major relief I anticipated. 

Headaches have been intense, especially around my temples. 
I've had additional visual changes which to be honest is a big concern.
I have not tolerated going to a shop for a while, but it has gotten worse lately and now I feel like my legs will give way if I dont get out. This is something I have never had a problem with before. This is adding additional stress due to the kind of work I am busy with at the moment.
My heart rate was messing about. I couldnt water plants without dizzy spells and feeling quite ill. My resting HR would fly up to 120bpm. Then climbing up a set of stairs would have it hovering around 60. This one has settled again but had me very close to calling a doctor. I could not find one at the time and would have requested testing if I had. I still have chest pain, but this comes and goes and has for a while now. Bending forward is still a big no, I feel awful when I do this. Hanging washing has become challenging lately.
An old favourite, which I had hoped was gone for good has also reared its ugly head again - a feeling of being intensely weak, like heart is slowing, blood pressure decreasing and me fading fast. 

Of course the anxiety. I guess thats pretty much a given. I've let go of so many things but somehow lately this has been very uncomfortable.

My ability to handle stress has decreased dramatically. Even a heated discussion wears me out, to the point where talking takes a lot out of me.

My tolerance for fish oil seems to have disappeared but I am back to magnesium as it is all I had to calm the midnight palpitations. 

I guess posting is a way of letting it out. I cant keep burdening my family with constantly bringing it up. I need to find a way to deal with it within myself. I have spent some time reading through the self care section late at night when I cant sleep which occasionally offers some relief. There is some (unfortunate) comfort knowing you aren't alone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello ThoughtTree.

I'm sorry you are in a wave especially after a much slower taper than what we usually see. As somebody who is yet to take the route of coming off I really want to thank you for this update. If I understand it right you tapered while pregnant?

I read stories of people who tapered/are tapering Lexapro and the kind if symptoms you describe are very common. But they pass (and come again as you are experiencing now). But every time weaker. There is a video somewhere describing randomness of healing. So little is known about what is happening to us. But it seems most healing often happens when we are hurting most.

Yes, it means so much that we are not alone in this. I really hope this wave is short lived.

Best,
Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Bubble,  

Thank you for checking in.

Yes, I had already been tapering for a couple of years and I was at about 0.7mg, maybe 0.6mg when I got pregnant.

This wave has hung around a bit longer than those in the past. There is always something. I feel like they are coming and going more, but little things seem to stay behind. It could be stress. it could be hormones. There has been a lot happening (not all bad, but equally stressful). Self-care is all I can do.

All the best with your taper Bubble!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you TT!

People stay more fragile and susceptible to external stressors for quite some time after tapering. That's why we should treat ourselves gently. And as you say, nice things can be equally stressful just because our nerves are too raw and can't deal with too much stimuli.

Most important thing for me is to reduce expectations from myself at the expense of appearing lazy or whatever. I just realise it's important for my preservation. It seems you reached the same conclusion when you mention self-care.

Let us know how you are and wishing you the best

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still in this wave. It has been 2+ months now. It's hard to accept because I was having relatively long windows toward the end of last year. Now even more symptoms are popping up and my go-to coping techniques are failing me.

My health has not been great (pretty sure it is withdrawal related) and old symptoms that I thought were gone have returned possibly a little stronger than before. I've read things can get rough around a year off. Keeping that in mind to try stay positive.

Hi TT.       Sometimes there is really no rhyme or reason , to this process. That's why it's called the windows and waves , pattern of healing.  These waves , can stick around for longer than expected . Stressful events , can certainly exacerbate symptoms.  You seem to be on the right path with your self - care . You are right. That is indeed , the best thing you can do , right now . You have a positive attitude, and that should stand you in good stead, for the future. Positivity is everything in this journey and it's effects can't be underestimated. 

You might want to have a read of this :   It could help with the stress and anxiety . Magnesium is helpful also , particularly dissolved in water and taken during the day .

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Best wishes,

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TT,

This video explains it as being like a Rubik's cube:

Video:  Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (4 minutes)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Ali and ChessieCat for the valuable links. It's my emotional response to the physical symptoms that needs work, so will be looking into the techniques. I'm petrified of doctors but recently Im really questioning when I need assistance from a doctor. Most likely neuro emotions. I have woken this morning feeling incredibly weak and short of breath with the slightest movement.

I actually recently had blood tests for a check up, my B12 levels were high, over the normal range. I remember reading that someone else here on SA experienced this in withdrawal but can't remember who. I'm curious what they found out about it.

On a positive note, as I open my window it looks like it will be a beautiful day. Birds is singing, cool breeze. Good start!

• Moderator Emeritus

These are good:

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

It's been about 14/15 months off Lexapro after a 2.5 year taper. I can't say I am where I'd hoped to be at this point.

I decided to visit a chiropractor recently. I had read it could help with automatic issues. It took a large amount of courage, but after a rough week I made the call. I expressed concern and was told we would take it slow and gentle.I had really high hopes for a good experience. Apparently not. I have not felt this restless and uncomfortable before. I don't know what to do with myself, struggling to find things to calm this feeling. My ears feel weird, my face feels weird. My whole head feels strange.

My positivity is fading, but I dont want it to. This is an awful feeling. My energy is barely there.

I've been reading your postings. I am sorry that you have been struggling so much, I wanted to recommend acupuncture. It is way more gentle than chiropractic and it works wonderfully on stress and anxiety. This is based on my experience so I'm not sure if it will work for you. The days I have acupuncture I can deal with stress in my life a lot better.  Best wishes to you 

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue