LJ2015 - II am struggling today...

LJ2015

Hi I am a new member to this site although I have spent the last few days reading posts.  As everyone who comes here knows they are an absolute life saver!!

However, I am really struggling today.   It is almost three months since I had my last dose of citalopram.  I ran out of my meds this time last year and after lasting about 2 weeks the withdrawal broke me an I gave in and got some more.   I finally decided to give up earlier this year, I kept forgetting to take them and started taking a 10mg dose every other day and then every two days etc - I wish i could remember exactly but you know how hard it is to keep track of things when you are under the fog of ads.  When I eventually ran out completely I went to the drs for some more but she said as I had been taking so little for about a month there was no reason not to just stop.  So thats what I did. 

The last three months have been hell.  I didnt realise how hard it would be - I wont list all the symptoms because lets just say I have experienced them all.  I dread going to bed at night as I have no clue what the next day will throw at me.  Good days are worse because they feel fake, I know it wont last.   On the plus side I think the last few weeks have been better physically, my body feels stronger and my stomach seems to have sorted itself out.  I havnt had any brain zaps for ages and although I felt like I had the flu last week I would say generally the aches and pains have gone, its just the psychological stuff is killing me. 

I just wondered if there was anyone else who has made it to the three month mark and still felt like they were going crazy?  I really felt like i should go back on them today, I cant cope with feeling like this for one more day let alone another year!!  Am I ever going to find joy in anything again?  I am greiving for the person I could have been with out the abs - its like every negative event that has happened since I started the meds has come back to haunt me this week and I am constantly having negative thoughts about myself - they creep up without me being aware and sometimes I dont feel strong enought to fight them. 

I was convinced this morning that I have ruined my brain and it will not function without the meds but reading though the forums has convinced me otherwise so i am going to carry on.  I feel a bit stuck because if I go back on them now I have wasted the last three months but can I go on feeling like this?

I was wondering how people coped with work during this time? I cant take time off work - I have cut my hours down as much as I can but I am really struggling - I either want to strangle anybody I come into contact with or cry my eyes out.  Have any of you approached your employers/other staff members with this and if you have what response have you had?

Started Contraceptive pill at 14 years of age

Started Prozac 1998 Various different anti-depressants  including Sertraline

contraceptive pill stopped 2010 - given mini-pill - stopped due to no periods

Injured back 2010 - given Co-codamol for back pain

Started Mirtazapine 2011 - intolerance to Mirtazapine (suicidal thoughts, weight gain, memory problems

Changed to Citalopram 20mg - reduced to 10mg after a while

2013 - given Diazepam 2mg - for anxiety to be taken as and when (I abused them)

taken anti-histamines for years for sinus problems

August 2015 - after small tapering stopped taking citalopram

Cut down on Co-codamol stopped taking anti-histamines

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LJ2015

• dalsaan

• KarenB

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

LJ -

I am sorry you are struggling. Like you I am new to the site so I cannot give you any advice. All I can tell you is my own experience.

I came off Zoloft CT not knowing I needed to wean. I was without Zoloft for about 3 months. In the meantime I was taking something to sleep (which I now know is also an AD) and also a diet pill - but only for 2 weeks due to all the weight I gained on Zoloft.

Due to the jittery feelings I was having on those meds, I decided to stop those as well. 3 days later I hit a wall with depression, anxiety, crying and more.

I then went to the doc who said it appeared in was in WD. DUH!

Because I MUST work and at least function, I agreed to start taking Citalopram 20mg which I have now been taking for a bit over a week. I am still adjusting to it (I think).

Because it was obvious to the people I work with that something is wrong (I have lost 30 lbs in the past 3 weeks, don't want to speak to anyone, cannot stay focused, etc) I have told both my manager and another person what is going on. I did not go into the reasons I was on AD in the first place, I just told them that I had stopped an AD without knowing I needed to wean and that, although I am now on a new AD, I am having WD. They were both supportive on one hand but also followed-up with comments about it being good that I am back on an AD.

I didn't expect them to understand my plight - I simply told them so they would maybe give me some space and also understand why I was quiet, I could tell from their reactions that when I do start weaning off the Citalopram, I will need to do it in silence as they see nothing wrong with being on an AD.

So, yes, there are many others with similar situations to yours on SA and I'm sure you will get a lot of heartfelt guidance.

I know how it feels to be almost frantic to get this under control. Please read all the information that will be sent to you by those on SA who know what to do.

Good luck in your journey,

Karen

1999-Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression-CT after less than 1 yr with no prob

2000-2010-AD (can't remember which) a few times for a few months-CT each time with no prob

2012 - Ambien (sleep) and Propanolol (public speaking anxiety)

Jan 2013 - Apr 2014 - Sertraline (25, then 50mg) Ambien after bout with depression

Apr 2014 - Apr 2015 - Sertraline 100mg and Amitriptylene 25mg-CT in May/June. Did notice increased anxiety, moodiness.

Aug/Sept 2015 - Trazodone 50mg (11 days for sleep), Phentermine 37.5mg 11 days), Tramadol 50mg (2 days for kidney stone pain)

Oct 2nd - CT from Trazodone and Phentermine - CRASHED 2 days later. Severe depression, anxiety, constant crying

RI Oct 15th - Citalopram 10mg daily, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Capsule, Magnesium, Simply Sleep at night. Will start weaning 11/15 if stable.

Thank you so much Karen!! It is lovely to have a reply and realise that I am not alone.  I havnt wanted to discuss this with work because a part of me feels like I just want to be drug free without feeling like anyone is keeping an eye on me - at the same time I also want to tell everyone i meet that I have given them up as part of me is actually really proud of mysef.

I have been considering going back to the GP to discuss going on a low dose of a/d but think after reading through the forums I will carry on for a while.

Thank you xxxx

Started Mirtazapine 2011 - intolerance to Mirtazapine (suicidal thoughts, weight gain, memory problems

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LJ

Welcome to SA. We rarely find that healing happens in a linear way, it often occurs in a windows/waves pattern as described here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/. I think the fact that you have had resolution of some of your symptoms is a good sign

Many people do well on magnesium and fish oil. There are threads on those and other useful advice in our symptoms forum.

I have told people at work what's going on for me. In part to educate people about withdrawal and in part to account for how I was feeling and my need for support at different times. I think that's a very personal decision to make

On here we talk about neuroemotions, emotional states that arise because of withdrawal. Keeping that in mind can help when hit with these things and remember 'it will pass'.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi LJ

Welcome to SA. We rarely find that healing happens in a linear way, it often occurs in a windows/waves pattern as described here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/. I think the fact that you have had resolution of some of your symptoms is a good sign

Many people do well on magnesium and fish oil. There are threads on those and other useful advice in our symptoms forum.

I have told people at work what's going on for me. In part to educate people about withdrawal and in part to account for how I was feeling and my need for support at different times. I think that's a very personal decision to make

On here we talk about neuroemotions, emotional states that arise because of withdrawal. Keeping that in mind can help when hit with these things and remember 'it will pass'.

Dalsaan

Hi Dalsaan - I have just finished blubbering from reading through the neuroemotions post as this exactly summed up how I am feeling - I have bookmarked the page and i am going to read it every day to reinforce that its just the withdrawal not me!! Thank you for your advice - I am currently taking fish oil although a very low dose - I have not tried magnesium yet but I will be visiting my health store soon.

LJ. I know exactly how you're feeling. I am new to this site today. Let's support each other through this. I'm in Vancouver BC. Canada. Where are you from? Hugs.

KLA. I am impressed that you could talk to work. I am a teacher and everyone is avoiding me and I don't blame them. It makes me more depressed even though I don't want to be around anyone. There is such a stigma when it comes to mental issues especially if you're a teacher. I would rather tell people that I have cancer

Zoloft for nearly 20 years for panic attacks

tapering for approx. last 6 months.  3rd time attempting

withdrawl symptoms feel like a nervous breakdown

depression now - not prior to Zoloft

• Administrator

Welcome, LJ.

It's a long shot after 3 months, but reinstatement of a low dose of citalopram, say 5mg, may help. You would stabilize and then taper off later. See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Citalopram comes in a liquid form so you can take small amounts, see Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome LJ,

I'm so glad you've found this forum - no one should have to go through this alone.  Good idea to keep re-reading the neuro-emotions topic.  And yes, you will find joy in life again, and when you do it will feel amazing after all the hardship you're going through.  You'll feel delighted to feel like yourself again, like meeting up with an old friend.

Have you read about neuro-plasticity?  The fact that our brains are so capable of healing can give you a lot of hope.  And every bit of support and nourishment you give yourself means you are working with your brain and nervous-system to bring about healing.  Your brain will function without meds, it just takes time for it to remember how it used to do that, and adjust back to those proper settings.

Wishing you peace and strength,

KarenB 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey LJ - welcome to SA!

I'm going to emphasize what Alto said about reinstating.  If you have withdrawals, a bit of the drug your body is craving may take away some of your symptoms.  It's very good that you've seen some remission of symptoms - it takes a long time for the brain to heal.  The symptoms may shift around quite a bit - some may even return before they go away again.  Windows and waves.

Be patient with yourself, be kind and gentle to yourself.  If you have to work - do your best then let it go.  Pounding yourself for not being as good as you want to be will only make it harder, because your healing involves some emotional components as well.  Be gentle with yourself.  I've heard many people here who worked through their withdrawal - how hard it was, and yet - nobody seemed to notice that their work "wasn't as good."  So do your best and let it go.  Having one ally at work, a friend, for lunch breaks, may be enough.

Support around you at this time is important.  Do you have social activities or friends and family around you who understand what you are going through?  Do you have medical support - like counseling or group meetings?  Go to exercise classes?  Walk the dog?  Sometimes the smallest support - like a pet - can be an awesome help in withdrawal.

You might check these dialogues out, to see what applies to you - maybe you will have someone in your life you can share them with?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8631-withdrawal-dialogues-encouragement/?selectedpids=143938

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hello LJ, I have been working during the withdrawal. It is not easy on the beginning, because you get such crying bouts which you can´t influence at all. At this time I had to think about something sad and at once I started crying, but it was not only a bit of crying, it was really to cry the whole day, always tears near in my eyes and I just didnt know what I am crying for. I  did not know the reason. We have open space office so when I went to printer and started crying, surely everybody saw it. Also my boss, who when she saw me crying, sent me to have a walk near the river and sent with me also one other colleague to calm me down. I did not explain anything the colleagues but I told my boss what is going on. She was quite worried, but then it went better, so there was no problem.

I mean, on your place I would not tell anyone, except you would get problems at your working place. If you get problems, you have to explain and then it depends how understanding is your boss. If you have a normal boss, I would not worry. It can happen to anyone. You did not know that it makes such a big problem to you and I know how pushy are the doctors to persuade to take their "medicine".

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I just wanted to thank you for your messages, I am really struggling today - the emotions are just getting worse and I cant go to work - I have had to give up my job and I am not sure if I have made the right decision.  I went to the doctors today and he told me flat out that I wasnt suffering from withdrawal but I need to take meds, he has given me a px for Sertraline, I took this previous to the Citalopram and got on okay with it but I am sitting here crying and crying because after three months is it wise to go back on them? I was thinking about starting again and tapering really really slowly because I have been taking them here and there for months and then jumped from 10 to 5 to nothing over about 2 months which I think was a really bad idea.  I felt really awful physically on the citalopram so I am wondering if maybe i will feel better on the sertraline but its such a risk to take.  Indecision is killing me.  I am not going to get the px yet - need to think about it but how can I make a decision when my brain is such a mess?  oh dear...

Help!! I stopped taking citalopram three months ago, I didnt taper properly and I felt really ill on them - since I came off I feel generally better physically but emotionally I am a mess.  I went to the gp about an hour ago and he told me I am not suffering withdrawal and need to be back on the meds - he gave me a px for Sertraline which I have taken before and felt okay on.

I am really conflicted.  Although I feel physically okay I cant cope mentally, I know it gets worse before it gets better but do I battle on through or accept that I need them and go back on and try to taper really really slowly - not sure I can go through this again but not sure I can carry on either.  I feel weak today and hate myself that I cant just get on with it. 

My brain just cant make a decision about anything, I have spent all day crying about going to see the gp and now I am crying but it was such a waste of time - he never even mentioned counselling which is why I went and ended up forgetting to ask him because he was so insistent that I go back on the meds. 

Does anybody have any advice about restarted meds after such a long time and changing to a different one - I thought about going on Prozac but I was on them years ago and they made me really aggressive.  I am really lost.  any comments would be appreciated.

ps I am also ovulating and I cant figure out how much that has to do with how I feeling

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh deary me LJ , welcome to the site.  Sorry you've found yourself in this situation.

After almost 20 years on ad's your brain has developed a dependence , which is why you're having withdrawal symptoms.

So your doctor is right , you do need them , but not because of any "original condition".  

You may find a very small amount (much smaller than the recommended dose) relieves your symptoms.

See this thread about reinstating: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/ 

Once you get stable , you'll find lots of information here about how to taper successfully using the 10% method.

Glad you got here - it's going to be okay , try and be calm.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yes, you are suffering from withdrawal. Your GP doesn't know about withdrawal syndrome. We do. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LJ , please see your other intro thread.    Best to have just one so everything is in one place.

When you read the thread on reinstating , you'll see that it suggests 1 or 2mg to start rather than

25mg (re sertraline).  

You may find that 25mg is way too much for your sensitized nervous system , and you have an adverse reaction.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I am so annoyed with my GP - he made me even more confused!  I am worried about going back on Sertraline as I dont want to feel even worse!! I have been reading the threads about reinstating and I think I might try and reinstate at a very low dose - the gp recommended 50mg but I will try 25mg and see that works.  I have realised that if I want to get off these awful things I am going to do it without the help of my gp as he hasnt got a clue.  still agonising though...

• Moderator Emeritus

Lj , please use your other thread.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

LJ,

I merged your two threads.  One per customer.  ;)

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

LJ,

Wanted to follow up since I didn't want to appear callous about merging your two threads.  I thought I needed to get on a call at work but didn't so I can post.  Welcome to the site.  As you have by now come to realize your GP has very little if any understanding about these meds and how to deal with them.  You will get far better advice on this site than you will from him (or from most GPs or psychiatrists to be honest).  It may be frustrating and you may find yourself angry with him but that is really a waste of your energy and personal resources.  They are fed stories by the drug companies and are working under a medical model that allows most docs a very short time to deal with patients and practically forces them to prescribe meds to deal with situations.  They system has run amok and we are the unfortunate "collateral damage."

In any event, you have received good advice here from several posters indicating possible approaches to trying to stabilize on the meds so that you can alleviate your symptoms and then begin a careful and controlled taper downstream.  Long story short you have been on the meds for a long time and as Fresh eloquently put it:

After almost 20 years on ad's your brain has developed a dependence , which is why you're having withdrawal symptoms.

It will be your choice whether to try going back on again.  If you do it may or may not work at this point.  Your CNS has been sensitized.  Hence, Fresh has recommended reinstatement which, as Altostrata has pointed out, is not a slam dunk at 3 months out. 

One way or another, unfortunately, this will be a process given a 20 year history on the meds.  I say that from the standpoint of someone who has been on for a long time as well.  People get off the meds for 2 reasons.  Either they decide they want off (side effects, want to know who they are without meds, long-term risks, etc.) or they are forced off because the drugs stop working or they stop taking them and then can't go back on because the drugs no longer have the same effect.

It is a difficult process but many who have successfully done it believe they are in a far better place than they ever could have been on the meds.

At the end of the day the choice, as always, is yours.

We are here for support, advice and information regardless of your choice.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks Andy,  I just went out for a walk and managed to sort my thoughts out a little bit.  I realised that i cannot rely on my gp so it basically comes down to how i feel.  I really believe after reading through this site that I did not taper properly and I am paying the consequences now.  I am going to give it another week before making a decision but I feel better knowing that there is a solution.  Thank you again for your help and kind words.  (sorry if this is the wrong place to post)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you again for your help and kind words.  (sorry if this is the wrong place to post)

Glad you had a chance to sort out your thoughts.  It is challenging and your thoughts will bounce around a lot as things unfold.  This site is a great place to come for "reality checks."

You no longer have a "wrong place to post" since your two threads are now merged into this one.  LOL.  Nothing to worry about.   See how we make things easier at S/A? 

:P

Andy

Hi LJ, I have been weaning off Citalopram for a long time and I know how hard it is to come off. I don't know what I would do in your position but I would be tempted to try Altos suggestion. I am new here too so I just wanted to say hi and offer my support.

Intro and updates thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9951-stone-tapering-problem-please-help-a-bit-urgent/

Prescribed 20mg of Citalopram 17 years ago.

Began tapering 3 or 4 years ago and was on 2.5mg every other day for 3 months until 21/8/2015 I then stopped completely for 10 days.

On 1/9/2015 I re-instated 1.25mg a day due to horrendous rebound depression/side effects (also found this site, thank God).

Seemed to stabilise then had a bout of very severe depression starting around the beginning of October/15,

then on the 19/10/15 I panicked and started on 20mg Fluoxetine, realised this was a bad idea and then had to decide between a lower dose of Fluoxetine

or reinstating Citalopram at maybe 1.5mg finally decided on 5mg of Fluoxetine for "bridging" purposes.

Hi LJ,

Wanted to offer my support and let you know that I can relate as I am experiencing a very similar situation to yours. I just started reinstating Effexor at a low dose after 6 months off. It has been 3 days on Effexor and I seem to already feel a bit more alive.. still low mood, negative thoughts, lots of ruminating and having a hard time regaining my life back (hence sitting alone here on Halloween night).

I really hope and pray that I will stabilize ok on Effexor, as I just can't tolerate this depression any longer. I am a freelancer / self-employed so I haven't been able to really work in the past little while, which causes me further depression, but one of my goals is to get a full-time job again after I stabilize and start to feel better about myself.

I don't want to be on meds for the long-term either, so will try tapering off by 10% very slowly while also seeing a therapist and taking supplements / vitamins / minerals as necessary. But that is another battle for the future, as my immediate goal is to beat this depression and unfortunately going back on meds is a last resort.

• 25mg Cipralex 2009 - 2010

150mg Effexor + 50mg Quetiapine/Seroquel 2011 - 2015

50mg > 25mg > 0 Quetiapine/Seroquel December 2014

150mg > 112.5mg > 75mg > 37.5mg January - April 25ish 2015

Started experiencing worsening anxiety and depression post-withdrawal of medication from mid-July 2015

100mg Wellbutrin September - October 2015

25mg Quetiapine/Seroquel reinstated October 1 2015 but experiencing numbness, inability to focus, low heart rate, blood pressure, head rushes

Reinstated 37.5mg Effexor October 29, 2015 and trying to keep the hope alive

Stopped seroquel October 30, so far doing better since reinstatement but would like to taper off Effexor next year after stabilizing

Just wanted to update this thread. I have had a really bad weekend trying to decide whether to go back on the meds but I have also realised that certain things are much better. I have stopped crying all the time and I am sleeping better but I have flu again second time this month! Every bit of my body is screaming for the citalopram but a tiny part of my mind keeps telling me to wait and see. On the tablets I had a phobia about leaving the house which has disappeared and an all encompassing rage at he world in general which has gone. This has left me feeling very raw and to be honest empty without the constant fear.

I now have a totally different fear and that is that no matter what I do I can not beat this drug and all this mental effort is for nothing as it has physically ruined me. I get anxious if I think even one minute ahead I have to live completely in the moment or it freaks me out. I am so sick of the constant mental battle going on in my mind. I reach a conclusion only to think completely the opposite ten seconds later it is very confusing.

Anyway sorry to waffle on I am typing this n my phone so apologies for any mistakes.

Just wanted to let you all know that there are positive sides to the withdrawal. I am going to wait until I am over this flu before deciding whether to go back on as this might be a final push at detoxing.

Thanks for everybody's support and kind words.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello LJ,

Did you know that flu-like symptoms are yet another in the long list of withdrawal symptoms?  I have had a minor sore/irritated throat for months now, usually just at night-time.  Sounds like the neuro-emotions have got you too - have you read about them? - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/ 

Good to hear you've had improvements on some fronts.  Your signature says you did a 'small tapering' then 'stopped taking citalopram.'  Does that mean you went too fast and then cold-turkied the rest?  That might account for with withdrawal you are still in.  Being 2-3 months out makes it less likely for reinstatement to work, but if you are considering it would you ask a mod first for advice re an appropriate amount to updose? 

Hoping the things continue to stabilise for you,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Hi LJ,

I tried to go off of lexapro just like my dr told me earlier this year.

I got into really bad withdrawal. I knew i was in withdrawal as some symptoms came on very suddenly and i either didn't have them before ad or they became a lot worse.

Long story short, reinstatement didn't work for me and zoloft is not really helping, just like you in a very tough place but hang on and it will get better!!!

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

Just wanted to share how I am feeling today. Yesterday I collected the px for sertraline that the doctor gave me last week. I have been agonising for days over whether to restart it. I read through the info sheet it comes with and I couldn't believe it!! All of the side effects are just what I have been suffering with for the last 14 months.

I have not taken any citalopram for 3 months so how can I still be suffering from side effects if there is nothing in my body (as every healthcare professional I have spoken to says the drug has left my system by now).

Also it states that withdrawal symptoms can last 3 months and more. This was all I needed.

Today I have been feeling much much better. I can only explain it as a real sense of peace for the first time in years. I feel good. I have finally realised that the drug has poisoned me and I have just got to give it time to work itself out.

I am not depressed, or manic, or not particularly anxious. I feel for the first time that I can beat this thing. I have also realised that the good feeling I did have whilst on the drug was false. I never want to go back to that.

Anyone considering going back on them DON'T just give it a bit longer. Depression and anxiety does not cause tremors or dizziness or flu or any other physical problem.

• Moderator Emeritus

Anyone considering going back on them DON'T just give it a bit longer. Depression and anxiety does not cause tremors or dizziness or flu or any other physical problem.

LJ,

Glad you're feeling better and that things are moving in the right direction.  It is great that you have come to what you believe to be the right approach for you.  It is very important that we recognized that we are all individuals and that we all react differently to these meds and going off them.  We also have very different personal situations that call for very different things.  It is hard to make blanket statements that are good for all. Some people may well need to reinstate at a lower dose to manage their personal affairs. 

I would also note that for some people depression and anxiety can cause many physical symptoms, dizziness being a very common complaint.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LJ,

It's so good to hear you feeling so positive and hopeful, and especially peaceful - just getting into that head-space makes a huge difference. 

You might be interested to know that even though the drugs have left your body, you still feel effects and withdrawal symptoms because your brain is still adapting back to it's natural state.  This continues to happen long after the drugs themselves have gone.  SSRIs and SSNIs are quite different to things like aspirin which stop working once they leave your body.  

You're on a good path now,
Karen 

8 month hold.

Thank you for your encouragement Karen, how are you managing at the moment? I am so relieved to have a good few hours it has given me real hope for the future. Xx

Ps to Andy please keep your negativity away from my thread I am fully aware of how it feels to be depressed but in this situation I was talking about myself only.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ps to Andy please keep your negativity away from my thread I am fully aware of how it feels to be depressed but in this situation I was talking about myself only.

LJ,

I'm sorry you found my post negative.  As you can see from my earlier posts on your thread I am most supportive of you and all who are on this board. It is very important however to keep all information on this site as accurate as possible.  People come here in desperate condition and will cling onto any shred of information, right or wrong.  So, when I see something incorrect or possibly misleading I want to correct it.  You said the following:

All I did was correct that. 

It wasn't intended as negative.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

For a lot of people , the worst symptoms don't come till between 6 and 9 months after stopping.  They get far

more serious than just being depressed.

Those of us on ad's longer than 20 years need be aware of this - "protracted withdrawal syndrome"

I was okay for the first few months after stopping , then the withdrawal really hit.

See videos here  in post 1 http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8452-freshs-fractured-fairytale-how-much-can-a-koala-bear/?hl=%2Bfresh

I've recovered now , but wouldn't wish this on anyone , and the only way I could have stopped it was by reinstating.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I need help.

I reinstated 50mg sertraline

I have gone crazy

Twitching

Cant see properly

I feel like I am dying

I took too much and now I want to crawl out of my skin

What do I do now

Do I go back to citalopram and take a small dose

Take a smaller dose of sertraline

Will I ever be normal again

I am broken

LJ, for some people reinstatement can also bring adverse reaction and they feel than worse than before. I would not reinstate, if I can help it. For my personal belief, the body can start to heal only once the drug is out of the body.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

How long before i stop twitching cant type otlr talk should I go to hospital

• Moderator Emeritus

LJ

When you say you reinstated sertraline, were you taking it before? It sounds like you are having an adverse reaction to it and your system is sensitive to it. Have you taken anything else? I wouldn't.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan