SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Strange sensations while falling asleep - surges, zaps, jerks

Maybe

ADMIN NOTE If you get twitches or jerks in your legs when you want to sleep, stretching exercises may help, particularly if you site at the computer a lot.

Playing very soft music while you're sleeping may calm the hypnic jerks, see

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Hi again,

when I was lying down to sleep yesterday, I saw some kind of strange lights when I closed my eyes. As if there was lightning inside my brain. It happened every 15 seconds or so.

When my body was relaxing and close to drifting off to sleep it suddenly was jerking brutaly for one time. The whole body was rocked. Did anyone every experience the same? I have the feeling that my whole system is just damaged. This was so awful...

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Maybe.......

I've experienced the same thing a few months ago but it didn't last long. I believe, at this stage of WD, your CNS is fine tuning and thus, can start to produce a few new symptoms and/or resurgence of older symptoms that may have left for some time. They are usually short-lived.

This happens to SO MANY people in any type of psyche drug WD and as unnerving as it feels, trust that your are likely nearing the final phases of WD.

BTW, I had the same lightning visual effects as yourself (actually a couple of weeks ago) only difference.....my eyes were open. This effect was very bright zig zag light pattern (like lighting bolts) appeared in the top vision field of my left eye and remained persistent for an hour straight. As you know from experience, it can feel very disturbing but I had to remind myself "this is fine-tuning time", it's temporary and it will pass.

I am experiencing improvements in other areas. For example, I'm able to listen to music more often without feeling frazzled to the max. .........can watch more TV, having larger chunks of time where the anhedonia lifts and I'm able to feel some connection to life, anxiety levels are really coming down, sound sensitivity is improving, skin sensations getting better although I do have temporary flare-ups.

Major improvements in digestion. BTW, I was so violently ill for a very long time but now, I can eat just about anything most days with only occasional mild nausea (which doesn't last long).

Oh, computer sensitivites aren't as bad. but that's a whole other subject that I will post about.

I am focused on keeping my life as calm and stress-free as possible since, I went through too many months of intense stress from multiple sources and as we all know, stress send the CNS into worse WD states.

With that said, I now can have a worried thought without instantaneously high-jacking my F&F response to ridiculous levels.

Please keep in mind that things can improve dramatically after a certain point in time. I've seen this occur for so many people, myself included (during my C/T xanax WD). I'm getting some real good signs and spells going on.

The fatigue is what's holding me back in a huge way which only makes depression and trauma worse since, I can't engage in much to distract. l've pushed myself many times, but most times, it wipes me out even more (I pay a price). I'm trying to ride this time out. I'm certain that the hot July weather doesn't help matters.

However, with that said, I am spending more time outside ......doing some mild yard work in bits and pieces (pace myself). I've learned to take rest time in between mild activities. Some days are better than others but I'm having more okish days. I'm doing better than two months ago and BTW, I was a very severe case.

Yes, re: our whole system is damaged as far as I'm concerned. HOWEVER, the damage is repairable. It's repairing each and every day and thus, it is not permanent. I know how rough things are for you at this stage but just hang on for a few more months. I promise .......things will start to come together.

Your CNS is like a jigsaw puzzle......trying to find the right pieces to fit into the right places (connect with the other pieces). Eventually all will fit together to form a complete picture. Perhaps this isn't the best analogy but it's one that I use to keep myself focused on in regard to what is really happening rather than how I perceive things when I'm suffering.

BTW, I'm now 25 1/2 months AD free. You're behind me by a few months. I know it's so hard to keep the faith but be proud that you have stayed the course and continue to do so. Your pay-off will soon manifest.

Much More Healing to You!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

As always, your posting is very reassuring and I am very happy that you are feeling better in many regards, Punar :)

I am going to send you a huge bouquet of flowers when I am through wd, I promise :D

I felt very weird yesterday before falling asleep (a lot of anxiety) but did not have this brutal jerking. The bolts of light were more tolerable as well. I hope that this was a rather isolated incident.

Made a blood test and digestive test today, I am eager to get the results.

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

As always, your posting is very reassuring and I am very happy that you are feeling better in many regards, Punar :)

So glad I was able to reassure. Thank you so much Maybe for being happy for me.

I am going to send you a huge bouquet of flowers when I am through wd, I promise :D

Awww.that is so sweet but not necessary. You just get through this WD and recover......then give back to someone else who is suffering.....reassure them and make them feel a bit safer in this world when you see them struggling through what you went through.

I felt very weird yesterday before falling asleep (a lot of anxiety) but did not have this brutal jerking. The bolts of light were more tolerable as well. I hope that this was a rather isolated incident.

so sorry to hear this. Believe me, I do understand how upsetting this all is ESPECIALLY when we are so far off the drug. It is mind-boggling to say the least.

I too was getting a resurgence of anxiety at the stage you are at and it was deflating, especially since, I thought I was showing signs of improvement. Like you, I was experiencing anxiety at bedtime as well. I'd be dead tired but as soon as I hit the pillow I could feel the cortisol starting to dump into my system (not in panic attack proportions but enough to be uncomfortable). Many times, I had to get back up for awhile and then try going to sleep again a bit later.

Again, this was another piece of the brain puzzle that had to get sorted out in it's own way and in it's own time. I'm having far fewer such episodes and the one's I am having are so insignificant compared to a few months ago.

BTW, glad to hear that the jerking was not present and that the light bolts were less intense. Forgive me if I mentioned this before (can't recall) but many people can experience a long and hard wave just before they turn the corner. It's like a whole bunch of symptoms are working themselves out for the final time before they disappear and/or significantly descrease in intensity and then healing becoming more linear from that point forward.

It's like the brain throws one last confused long fit before it finds it's balance (so many pieces of the puzzle trying to snap into place). This could by why the jerking and light bolts effects have appeared at this time. There have been so many such stories on the benzo forums that I draw upon since, AD WD is very much similar. color]

Made a blood test and digestive test today, I am eager to get the results.

hope all tests come back okay.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

I am feeling a lot better since Saturday, when I started into the holidays. Hope the down time will help me a lot :)

Definitely will I help others through the rough time when I am recovered. I can cope well with wd when I feel ok, so I won't have any trouble coming back to reassure others.

My days are currently up and down a lot, so it is hard to speak of a real wave where I mostly felt awkward for weeks. Changes by the hour momentarily. We will see hope it developes.

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeling a lot better since Saturday, when I started into the holidays. Hope the down time will help me a lot :)

somehow I missed this post.

Holiday time will be good for your CNS. Hope you are experiencing some noticable improvements.

Definitely will I help others through the rough time when I am recovered. I can cope well with wd when I feel ok, so I won't have any trouble coming back to reassure others.

BTW, just for clarification purposes, you do deserve to go live your life once you're recovered. I plan on doing so. In fact, I have to clean up years of accumulated chaos and destruction, compliments of multiple psyche drug WD's, not to mention I will have to become employed again. Consequently, I won't have as much time to engage in the forums. However, we can write about our progress, as it occurs, write a recovery story and then pop back into the group from time to time to reassure others that recovery does occur.

My days are currently up and down a lot, so it is hard to speak of a real wave where I mostly felt awkward for weeks. Changes by the hour momentarily. We will see hope it developes.

I was very much the same at that stage of WD, although I did experience waves on top of what you have described. While I'm not symptom free at almost 25 3/4 months off, I'm experiencing some significant improvements. Things feel so promising at this point. I believe you will experience a large degree of relief in a few more months.

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

Heh, I should not have written that I have no waves...seems one hit me at the start of the 2nd week of my holiday. Very weird head symptoms today as well as disbalance and movement sensitivities. How I hate this crap. It feels as if the whole cns is just one big "damage".

It is kinda weird, but I am feeling aggression towards my body that it is not able to heal properly. Sometimes I just could punch it for making me feel that bad.

It feels as if the whole cns is just one big "damage".

It is kinda weird, but I am feeling aggression towards my body that it is not able to heal properly. Sometimes I just could punch it for making me feel that bad.

I understand, sometimes my anger also directs to myself, not only because the repeated mistakes of going CT but also that the still torturous symptoms just do not go away, despite a very good therapist and tons of time... I am now approaching the 4 years point! And still unable to work and feeling pretty sick most of the time.

My therapist has been very supportive but today he said for the first time that he has a deadline in his head, if I make no further progression until Spring 2012, his advice will be to quit the sessions.

And because I tried all kins of therapy and I have most confidence in this man, that will leave me on my own. I really fear that there is a percentage that do not heal from this and I belong to that. And it is not doomed thinking, I had so much confidence in getting better after learning from PP about WD and making progress in some sense... but I feel my motivation to hang on and start a new life is deterioting now.

I try to cling to the last sparks of hope to hang on and I do not want to traumatize my mother by ending it all... but I really feel at the end of the rope. Sorry for ranting...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Heh, I should not have written that I have no waves...seems one hit me at the start of the 2nd week of my holiday. Very weird head symptoms today as well as disbalance and movement sensitivities. How I hate this crap. It feels as if the whole cns is just one big "damage".

It's pretty impossible to like any of this journey when one feels so damaged. Believe me I truly understand how you feel.

We become alienated from our mind, body and spirit in a huge way. The only thing that kept me connected to the painful process is the realization that HEALING WILL OCCUR IF I ride out the storm. Our bodies ARE healing properly. I know it doesn't feel like it but the fact is, every system within the body is working hard to bring you back into balance.

I also tried to envision my CNS as working over-time (for my ultimate, long-term benefit). This thought kept me committed to the riding out one day at a time.

Not an easy feat though, as you know. The journey is long, tiring, discouraging, painful and downright torturous for many of us but there is NO WAY you will remain at this current level of suffering. At some point, things WILL ease up.

For me, it was the 25 month mark. While I'm not symptom free and have a ways to go, life is becoming easier and I expect to see even more progress in the coming months.

BTW, I'm not attempting to minimize your frustrations. Believe me, I completely understand your feelings.

I know you will hang there. You've come this far. You only have a bit more to go.

Much More Healing to You!

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

@Claudius:

I can absolutely understand your frustration. I cannot even comprehend how I will be able to go on if nothing has changed in two more years. I just hope that you did see improvements in a way that you are at least out of "hell". Still more than 6 months till spring 2012, do not think about it before it has arrived. Who knows if the next 6 months won't see you improving much more.

@Punar:

It is just so unbelievable to have hope in recovery if there were only minor improvements during the past 12 months. I still cannot understand how I could feel close to normal for around 3 months!! last year and then go down in flames again, just because I did some stupid acupuncture. That's really a joke.

• 1 month later...

I know people have experienced these jerks on and off, but has anyone experienced them consistently for a long amount of time? I have had these jerks every night for almost a year now. I am still on Paxil though. Is this really a sign of healing or a sign of a damaged CNS? They are torturous for me and I would think they would have gone away by now.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Hello Ladybug,

because you are still on Paxil, I would not call it healing or damage, it is more a malfunction of your system as a side effect of Paxil. The jerks could be gone when you are finally off Paxil or some time after.

I haven't had any jerks for months now. They will not stay permanently.

Would this be myoclonic jerks? I just read something about that w serotonergic drugs, but can't recall the specifics.

I began having severe bruxism and TMD shortly afte starting Zoloft (sertraline) in 1993 which I later learned is a side effect of SSRIs. It was treated w mouthgaurds, attempt at braces, and Klonopin qhs. Of course, it took no time at all to become dependent on the benzo and now, almost 20 yrs later, am still on. Although I am not on ADs any longer, I still wake w very sore jaw, neck, head if I don't take Klonopin. I can't take generic--does not work for me.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 3 weeks later...

The twitches in my fingers and toes don't bother me, they kind of feel good in a weird sort of way. What gets me is the jerks when they happen in my chest or my stomach. I can't stand that. I found that sleeping on my stomach helps, but naturally it starts to hurt my neck sleeping on my tummy. Since I tried a brain supplement for a couple days my jerks came back full force. Now I know what people mean when they say they're sensitive to supplements.

I get the lightening flashes too. They only started when I started to taper.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Is anyone else experiencing the jerks in the chest area? That really freaks me out. It feels like my heart is jerking. I know it's the "jerks" because everywhere else on my body is going through it. I almost went to the ER last night because I was thinking I might hurt my heart with these jerks. But I took another remedy and it calmed down so I slept okay the rest of the night.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I read that Calcium is one of the best natural remedies for jerks. I'm going to try taking one Tums a day and see if I can handle it.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I had the jerks last night, in the heart. And I do not like that! I got up and resorted to taking a Xanax and went back to bed. I didn't have any trouble after that. I really don't like taking Xanax, but I really was afraid it's hurting my heart. Hopefully the Calcium will work.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Sorry this seems to be my temporary journal lol. It's just such a troubling symptom that I haven't found a good remedy for. I didn't have the jerks at all last night, and I just tapered down from 20 mg to 17.5 yesterday. I started having the jerks even before I started to taper in August, at 40 mg. I wonder if my body is sensitive to the serotonin so when I dropped it brought relief of the jerks.

I just edited this to add that the reason I suspect that I'm sensitive to serotonin is that I read jerking is a symptom of Serotonin Syndrome.

Edited by Shanti

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi Maybe. I have also experienced the white lights in my head when I am lying in bed with my eyes closed sometimes accompanied by a loud bang ! pretty weird .

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• 1 year later...

ADMIN NOTE If you get twitches or jerks in your legs when you want to sleep, stretching exercises may help, particularly if you site at the computer a lot.

Playing very soft music while you're sleeping may calm the hypnic jerks or other strange jolts interrupting sleep or relaxation, see

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Hypnic / hypnagogic jerks when falling asleep

I have been having a symptom lately that I have never experienced before and can barely describe, but I wanted to take a crack at it...

When I lay down to go to sleep, more often than not it feels like I am sort of spinning and my field of vision, with my eyes shut, feels like it is moving. Does anyone have a word for the light "prints" you get from lights after you shut your eyes (I mean, what normal people would see?) Because for me if I look at a light and then shut my eyes to go to sleep, the "echo" of this light in my field of vision will start to move. It doesn't seem like a hallucination (not that I had them), as it seems to just be an alteration of the normal light imprint you would get from looking at a light and then shutting your eyes...It's really distracting. I'd like to think about other things when falling asleep, but as soon as this starts up I almost can't.

Does anyone know what this is? The closest thing I can think of is what some people call "visual snow", which I never had (though I had blue dots in my vision for a little while). Is this the same thing? What is strange about this is, even though it sort of feels like I am spinning, I doesn't feel like my body is reacting to being dizzy. It seems to be a strictly visual experience, if that makes sense. And it keeps me from being comfortable when I go to sleep.

Is there anything to be done about this, or will it just go away?

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I had dozens of weird symptoms of this sort...and yes they pass...I still have some but they are less intense and not as bothersome anymore...most of this stuff we never really know what it is...the nervous system seems to have hundreds, maybe thousands of ways to express itself when it's been harmed.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

The "echo" you get after looking at a bright light is called an "after-image".

It sounds to me like you may be having what's called a "headache-less migraine" or "silent migraine". I started getting them at one very stressful point in my life and they were super-scary. I had images that looked like stained glass diamond shapes going across my field of vision even with my eyes open, and they made me dizzy because they kept moving from left to right. I wasn't able to read through these images (although I could see to move around in the house), and I certainly wasn't fit to drive. If I remember right, I had only the one episode although I felt several more coming on over the next two or three weeks and prevented them by immediately relaxing. The first attack came on just as I laid down to sleep.

As soon as the stressful period was over, the attacks stopped. Here's some info from the Web:

http://headaches.about.com/lw/Health-Medicine/Conditions-and-diseases/What-is-a-Silent-Migraine-.htm

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

ocular migraines they're called too...I've had several (only since in withdrawal)

I got one while driving once and had to pull over and call my husband to come get me...

the first time I had one I was terrified...it was like a hallucinogenic trip...they pass in about an hour and were not accompanied by pain but made me very very spacey.

for whatever reason I didn't make a connection with the ocular migraines and what Unfoldingsky is talking about, but it is possible its the same...though if it's happening every night I kind of think it might be something else...

I used to get what I called the strobe-light effect...my field of vision at bedtime would flash in and out like crazy...it was not a migraine...but I really hated it...it still happens every now and then when I'm really tired...but it used to be every single night.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Since my SSRI experience, I have had movement phosphenes, similar to what is described here:

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/new-diagnosis-and-diagnosis/bright-well-defined-circular-phosphenes

I saw several eye doctors and was also tested for MS since my other WD symptoms were neurological. I also had waves of shadowy "color" when my eyes were closed and other strange visual effects in darkness. Medical doctors and Opthalmologists did not find any explanation. Some of the vision issues have improved, but not all. I have visual snow. I'm also very myopic which seemed to have been made worse by the drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

i was going to suggest the painless migraines too. I have had them on occasion - but not in withdrawal - they come on without warning, stay for a while and then go - but they are very unsettling when they are there. The first time i had one was 26 years ago and i was pregnant - it was quite scary at the time

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• 2 weeks later...

The "echo" you get after looking at a bright light is called an "after-image".

It sounds to me like you may be having what's called a "headache-less migraine" or "silent migraine". I started getting them at one very stressful point in my life and they were super-scary. I had images that looked like stained glass diamond shapes going across my field of vision even with my eyes open, and they made me dizzy because they kept moving from left to right. I wasn't able to read through these images (although I could see to move around in the house), and I certainly wasn't fit to drive. If I remember right, I had only the one episode although I felt several more coming on over the next two or three weeks and prevented them by immediately relaxing. The first attack came on just as I laid down to sleep.

As soon as the stressful period was over, the attacks stopped. Here's some info from the Web:

http://headaches.about.com/lw/Health-Medicine/Conditions-and-diseases/What-is-a-Silent-Migraine-.htm

After-image, of course, I used to know that! It's so frustrating how much I can't recall now...Thank you. And I had no idea there were headache-less migraines either--mine were always very headachy. I knew people whom got the auras, but I always thought they were having pain with them. Yours sound quite alarming Jemima, glad they cleared up. For me it's not been happening when I am, well, sort of alert (usually I have some degree of brain fog), but only when I go to bed. Strangely it seems to have died down since I wrote this post.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I used to get what I called the strobe-light effect...my field of vision at bedtime would flash in and out like crazy...it was not a migraine...but I really hated it...it still happens every now and then when I'm really tired...but it used to be every single night.

That's so scary. If I recall properly I think I had something similar as I came off benzodiazepines (which I couldn't tolerate, but took for three years nonetheless because I couldn't figure out how to get off them completely) and it did go away.

Since my SSRI experience, I have had movement phosphenes, similar to what is described here:

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/new-diagnosis-and-diagnosis/bright-well-defined-circular-phosphenes

I have a fair amount of brain fog at the moment, so I can't quite tell if phosphenes would fit, but they sound plausible. Have they diminished at all Georgia?

i was going to suggest the painless migraines too. I have had them on occasion - but not in withdrawal - they come on without warning, stay for a while and then go - but they are very unsettling when they are there. The first time i had one was 26 years ago and i was pregnant - it was quite scary at the time

So your migraines didn't occur in any obvious pattern? The only thing that seems consistent with the lights is that they happen at night, which makes me wonder if it is a migraine. Strange that they don't happen in withdrawal isn't it? I used to have nausea in the mornings pre-withdrawal, which I think was hypoglycemia, and that stopped after my drug saga started. It seems to be one of the very few upsides to all of this...

• 3 years later...

I don't know what this is, but when I'm falling asleep, I'll suddenly jerk awake as if something happened, but nothing did. No nightmares, either. It's a violent seizing up of my whole body. A bit like falling and catching yourself. Getting more frequent. Anybody else have this?

Age 13 - Prozac, 20 mg. On and off.

14 - Paxil. 2 months.

15 Effexor. 2 weeks. Toxic reaction, panic, never the same since. Back to prozac. Increased to 80 MGS! I weighed less than a 100 lbs!

18-20. Drug-free! So much of me came back, emotion, memories. But my brain was affected. Panic, no coping skills...

20-22. Hell. Cocktails + Paxil back up to 80 mgs. Hell.

Terrible, messy withdrawal in isolation, most of my 22nd year.

Now 31. Never the same since.

Two months off . I had it and for the last 10 days it disappeared. Now my head is shaking lol.

I think you shouldnt put prrssure in your nervous system . Dont try to have sex or ejaculate . whever i did masturbate . I foubd my self jerking after .

Try milk . Milk works great for me .

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

It happened to me a lot....almost like a seizure. So weird!

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Hi could be a "sleep start" or "hypnic jerk" , babies have them too , somthing to do with systems in the brain changing ready for sleep . Pretty normal i think , i have them sometimes.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what this is, but when I'm falling asleep, I'll suddenly jerk awake as if something happened, but nothing did.

I went through a stage in early withdrawal when this would happen while I was trying to go to sleep at night. It stopped after about a month. Then it would happen if I tried to take a nap during the day, that went on for a lot longer, I gave up on daytime naps because it was impossible, but my ability to go to sleep at night improved quite quickly. I had problems staying asleep, but the jerking awake while trying to go to sleep didn't last long.

There's some discussion about this symptom in this topic:  Sleep problems: That awful withdrawal insomnia

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

yes I have had a similar experience when either being put on to the Escitalopram drug or when cutting down or stopping it. I'm now over 2 years off and can say that I don't have problems like this anymore.  I also had problems catching daytime snoozes when I was first off from the meds, but this has got considerably better over time.

Namaste,

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

They are called hypnic jerks. While people who have never taken meds can have them, they can become much more pronounced in WD. No doubt another symptom of a sensitized nervous symptom.

I had them quite severely for several months and then moderate for some time after that. Mine lasted all night and made it impossible to sleep (or nap) so I resorted to a very small dose of Xanax to get sleep every couple of days. I also found that Magnesium Glycinate made them worse so if you are taking that type of Magnesium it's something to consider.

The good news is that in time they went away and even though I'm still tapering I rarely get these jerks now.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy