RoadRager: Cymbalta 6 week user withdrawals

RoadRager

I started out in 1998 with Paxil for anxiety. Began having twitches and the "I don't give a crap" attitude so switched to Lexapro in about 2002. Insurance quit paying so switched to cousin Celexa in about 2005. Tapered from 40 mg down to 20 mg in 2012, then both parents got ill and died in 2013. Went back to 40mg. Started having anxiety attacks again in Dec, 2015. Dr prescribed Cymbalta 60 mg to switch to. Easy transition she said. I took the Cymbalta 60 mg for 6 weeks before I could not take the sweating, anger, rage, dry mouth and dizziness anymore. I switched straight back to Celexa 40 mg. 5 days later ended up in the ER with heart palpitations and couldn't catch my breath. Dizziness, disconnect, muscle pain, and fear were my new norm. Still dealing with episodes of sweating and dizziness but I wonder how long till the side affects subside after only being in the rx for 6 weeks? Would like to replace the Celexa with something natural as well, in time. any thoughts?

I started out in 1998 with Paxil for anxiety. Began having twitches and the "I don't give a crap" attitude so switched to Lexapro in about 2002. Insurance quit paying so switched to cousin Celexa in about 2005. Tapered from 40 mg down  to 20 mg in 2012, then both parents got ill and died in 2013. Went back to 40mg. Started having anxiety attacks again in Dec, 2015. Dr prescribed Cymbalta 60 mg to switch to. Easy transition she said. I took the Cymbalta 60 mg for 6 weeks before I could not take the sweating, anger, rage, dry mouth and dizziness anymore. I switched straight back to Celexa 40 mg. 5 days later ended up in the ER with heart palpitations and couldn't catch  my breath. Dizziness, disconnect, muscle pain, and fear were my new norm. Still dealing with episodes of sweating and dizziness but I wonder how long till the side affects subside after only being on the rx for 6 weeks?  Would like to replace the Celexa with something natural as well, in time.

Is there a healthy replacement for these horrible SSRI's? Does HTTP help?

I started out in 1998 with Paxil for anxiety. Began having twitches and the "I don't give a crap" attitude so switched to Lexapro in about 2002. Insurance quit paying so switched to cousin Celexa in about 2005. Tapered from 40 mg down  to 20 mg in 2012, then both parents got ill and died in 2013. Went back to 40mg. Started having anxiety attacks again in Dec, 2015. Dr prescribed Cymbalta 60 mg to switch to. Easy transition she said. I took the Cymbalta 60 mg for 6 weeks before I could not take the sweating, anger, rage, dry mouth and dizziness anymore. I switched straight back to Celexa 40 mg. 5 days later ended up in the ER with heart palpitations and couldn't catch  my breath. Dizziness, disconnect, muscle pain, and fear were my new norm. Still dealing with episodes of sweating and dizziness but I wonder how long till the side affects subside after only being on the rx for 6 weeks?  Would like to replace the Celexa with something natural as well, in time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RoadRager , welcome to the site. I'm so glad you found us , we can help you get off the celexa safely rather than wait till you tolerate the side effects of toxicity that you're having.

There are many non-dug methods that are equally , if not moreso , effective to treat depression. There are also supplements like Omegs 3's and magnesium to help you recover. Take a look through the Symptoms and Self Care section for threads on relaxation , Tai Chi , meditation , gentle exercise , colouring in etc.

Please could you add some dates and dosges to your signature.

Have you been on Celexa since around 21 January? And before that Cymbalta 60mg from around 7 December? (In a months time , "6 weeks ago" won't be relevant)

You will need to taper off rather than quit abruptly , in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Please read the following threads , and come back and use this thread to ask any questions as you go.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Tips for Tapering off Cymbalta http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you, Fresh for your insight.

I took Celexa for 10 years + then switched from Celexa 40mg to Cymbalta 60mg on Jan 6 or 7, 2016.  Took Cymbalta for 6 weeks, until 2/24/16, then went straight back to the Celexa 40mg.  After reading all of the interactions with all of my other medicines: blood pressure, thyroid, hydrocodone, potassium, metformin, I am ready to quit it all!  Will get the wd from the Celexa/Cymbalta taken care of, then address ways to be healthy and move off the other rx.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah , okay. Here's the thread for you then: Tips for Tapering off Celexa (citalopram):

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

You don't need to wait until you're done tapering to address ways to be healthy and move on. You can start now , today , whenever you're ready!

The thing to remember is that even though you took Cymbalta for only 6 weeks , you've been taking antidepressants for 18 years all up. The brain doesn't really care which brand of drug you took , it's become reliant on whatever it was given. You'll need to take this slow and steady , but you should feel yourself improving as your doses go down.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey RoadRager - I'm sorry you have been through this.

It's unconscionable, what doctors consider to be "standard of care" with these drugs - thinking they can substitute one for the other, with no cross taper or anything.  Some people have reactions when they switch brand to generic of the SAME drug (my brother had this with lexapro) - so going to a totally new chemical - well, it's no wonder you landed in hospital!

PLEASE hold for at least 3 months for all of these changes to settle down!

To get a better idea of how these drugs work, here is Rhi's description of healing the brain and Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery (Toxic Antidepressants)   I also think that these are excellent:  Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

Also, while you are stabilising, you might benefit from:  Psych Central 6 Ways to Prepare for Antidepressant Withdrawal

Thank you for providing your dosages - please - can you put those dosages in your signature, including dates - so that wherever you post on the forum, we know where you are coming from?  

Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!