Beary: Amitriptyline x 3

Beary

• Moderator Emeritus

Anything that is different, especially anything that worsens, or any new symptom.  You could use this:  Keep Notes on Paper

As well as Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beary

• scallywag

• ChessieCat

• keepinghope

Top Posters In This Topic

The steroid pack is a 6,5,4,3,2.1 step down pack. What side effects and what info about how does it work am I looking for? It is called methlprednisolone tablets 4 mg

Oct 2016 Took 10mg of amitriptyline, one per day for three days on Oct 6,7,8. Then stopped taking the medication when my legs jerked. Experiencing tingling body wide, burning in the top of my head and jerking movements at night ever since. No history of psychiatric drugs before or since.

Dec 2016 Jerking has lessened.  Burning in head has lessened.  Took anti inflamitories for a couple of weeks Nov 2016.  Now I have increased tingling all over my body, increased burning to my head, ear ringing and vision focusing issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know anything about steroids or about how they are packaged.  Just do a regular google search and type in methlprednisolone side effects.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Inform yourself by

• learning about the side effects of methlprednisolone at drugs.com
  • running an interactions report for the medication(s) include amitriptyline, your previous medication. (Often "side" effects show up as withdrawal effects)

Reminder, we need you to create a post a signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks. So interactions between the two drugs would show that I would have a problem even though I am no longer taking amitriptyline? I can figure out how to do a signature on my phone.

Oct 2016 Took 10mg of amitriptyline, one per day for three days on Oct 6,7,8. Then stopped taking the medication when my legs jerked. Experiencing tingling body wide, burning in the top of my head and jerking movements at night ever since. No history of psychiatric drugs before or since.

Dec 2016 Jerking has lessened.  Burning in head has lessened.  Took anti inflamitories for a couple of weeks Nov 2016.  Now I have increased tingling all over my body, increased burning to my head, ear ringing and vision focusing issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

Include the amitriptyline anyway just to see.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

It says unlikelly, minor or non significant, that amitriptyline will decrease the effectiveness of the steroid by altering drug metabolism.

I did. Does this mean anything? See above post

Sleepless nights, down moods and in long term use addisons deseasr which can be fatal. It's only a six day tapered pack though. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylprednisolone

Also an increase risk of catching things while you are on it. It basically says avoid sick people. I think I took this before at a lower dose

What do you guys think. I have never been in this place before in my life.

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately we are not able to decide for you.  It is up to SA members to make themselves fully information so that they can make an informed decision.

I'm not asking for you to decide, only share your views based on the experiences you have which are greater than mine. I am afraid to take Advil at this point but I have been suffering for six months with this nerve issue

I will make the end decisi N

Do medications ms effect people different after withdrawal? Do you have any examples? Where should I get info about this

• Moderator Emeritus

Beary, this is a thread on steroids that may help:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2399-steroid-risk-prednisone-prednisolone-etc/

You may find more by using the Search feature. 

You may wish to get a second opinion and see if another doctor thinks you need the steroids. And if so, weigh the risks against the benefits. Also, you may look want to look into alternative treatment. This is beyond what we can assist you with here, though, but it is an option. 

If your nervous system is destabilized from your experience with an antidepressant, than you may have more problems with side effects, as you may be hyper-sensitive to any type of medication.  But knowing this ahead of time is helpful. 

Thank you!

Thank you shep! I don't know about the steroids vs another option. I will ask my doctor. The nerve is evidentally inflamed enough to mimic concussion symptoms for 5 months. Again and again and again. But I see what you mean about automatically prescribing steroids. So once this wd happens we are more likely to get side effects? What about increased symptoms of withdrawal? Are other anti inflamitories better? Heavy duty ibuprofen type stuff? I wonder if I can do that instead. They were taking about shots in my neck or even surgery if the oral steroids did not resolve this so I'm a little nervous about not taking the medications too.

• Moderator Emeritus

To search the site I use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic. In this instance type in ibuprofen.

• Moderator Emeritus

Beary, my thought about interactions was a bit of a long shot. It might have revealed something. It didn't.

We need you to add  a signature. To do that on a phone, you have to switch from the mobile version of the site to the full desktop version. 

From Post #8 in the signature topic:

On your screen, after you sign in, go to the bottom of the page and find the words "Full Version" and tap there. ... and wait a bit.

Please take the time to figure this out. Moderators are members who are dealing with their own withdrawal challenges. We want to be of assistance you *and* need you to help us help you.

scallywag's Introduction

Sorry MNgal I didn't realize I wa PMing you. I was wondering whether your doc had considered advising you to go back on the medication at a lower dose.

I think I figured out the signature thinf

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks good! Thank you.

scallywag's Introduction

Beary, I don't even care what my doctors say any more. They told me these drugs were harmless. They don't believe in withdrawal syndrome. They'd be happy to drug me forever. Once I figured out they didn't know what they were doing, I turned to online help, such as this forum. I read and read and read on various forums until I figured out which ones were helpful and reliable. I also read a book about safely coming off psych meds. It's free online somewhere. Now I am careful what I say to my doctors, just enough to get the scripts I need while I withdraw.

I'll see if I can find that online book.

MNgal

Here it is:

http://willhall.net/comingoffmeds/

MNgal I don't know what to do NOW though. I have this tingling in my body that is driving me crazy! I don't know if it will ever go away. It gets worse with stress but I can't stop panicing. Can I reinstate the medication? But I don't have any of the pills. I threw them away. Will this ever go away! I have a physical problem and need steroids to fix that but need to take steroids to fix that and I am afraid to aggravate the tingling with the steroids because I don't understand how this works.

Hi Beary, 

Is the tingling you're experiencing due to a trapped nerve in your neck or spine somewhere, and where do you get the tingling? 

I've got a herniated lumbar disc which is trapping my sciatic nerve, so I've had nerve pain and a pins and needles type feeling in my right leg for months now. I was offered Amitriptyline too, as I think it's often prescribed for nerve pain at a low dose. I didn't take it because I'm 14 months off a Prozac cold turkey and was worried about further withdrawal effects. 

This may be no help to you if your tingling is not due to a trapped nerve, but what I've found has helped with mine is lots of rest, bodywork (I saw a Bowen therapist but other people have success with chiropractors, osteopaths, myofascial release therapists etc) and heat packs (the wheat bags you heat up in the microwave). I was on strong anti-inflammatories for a while too and they didn't affect my withdrawal symptoms at all, but did ease the pain a bit. I'd be cautious taking steroids but because of my prozac withdrawal I seem to be sensitive to lots of meds now - this may not be the case for you. 

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

• Moderator Emeritus

That tingling is a withdrawal symptom. It will almost certainly disappear as your CNS (central nervous system) stabilizes and recovers from the amitriptyline.

What non-drug coping skills are you using to relieve your symptoms and to distract yourself from them?

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

I get the tingling mainly in my legs and base of my spine. The inflamed nerve is in my cervicle spinal area. They want me to take a Medellin dose pack for it. That is a six day course of steroids.

Medrol dose pack that is

They think some of the tingling could be the nerve and some the stress I have been under

Beary, you said above you've been having issues with this nerve in your neck for 6 months - so before you took the amitriptyline? Sorry if you've already explained this but what were your symptoms before you were prescribed the amitriptyline? 

You said the tingling only started after your stepmom hit the brakes hard while you were in the car, jolting you, is that right?

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Nausea, dizziness, headaches, visual issues, ringing in my ears. Just diagnosed with the neck issue. I was being treated for a concussion over and over but my neck was never examined. Tingling occurred when my step mom braked quickly in her car after my most recent injury to my neck. This was also about 36 hours after the last amiltriptyline pill

Tingling started as intermittent. I was doing PT and as time went on it seemed to be worse or happen all the time. Then it seemed to lessen - just in my legs at the time - when I Reinhard myself again be twisting my neck

So out of the symptoms you've listed above the only one that started after the amitriptyline was the tingling, and that was after the jolt in the car? Or the tinging started before but got worse after the jolt when you reinjured your neck? 

I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm really confused which is easily done at the moment! Were you in an accident which started this all off? 

Trapped nerves can cause tingling, I know that from experience. At it's worst I'll also get little muscle twitches in my legs, usually at night. That's also common when the nerve is being compressed somewhere. I'm not a doctor though, and I would've thought they'd be sending you for an MRI scan to check what's happening with your neck, and whether you have a slipped disc or something that is compressing the nerve. 

The mods here are also very experienced so they're very used to withdrawal symptoms etc. But I think given your injury it might be worth ruling out physical causes first before starting to worry about an amitriptyline withdrawal? Scallywag, I'm sorry if I'm out of line here, I may not have understood all of this thread as well as I should. 

Ps, physiotherapy can aggravate trapped nerves, it did for me and made my symptoms much worse. But for others it helps. 

If you're worried about the steroids I'd try taking some OTC anti-inflammatories and seeing if they help first. And getting on at the doc to send me for an MRI scan to properly diagnose what's going on in your neck. 

I got so me muscle jerks which are now almost only at night when I am going to sleep. But yes you are right. The tingling started after I stopped the drug after the jolt in the car - a minor jolt but still we went forward and back with our necks. This occured 38 hours after I stopped the drug and prior to a period of muscle jerking and heart racing that started maybe 8 to 10 hours later. Those symptoms got a lot better in a day and continued to get better over the week. For a couple of days before I took the drug and for the week after I was so stressed out that I barely slept and was in constant anxiety.