Suzanne724: Which first Cymbalta or Temazepam

Suzanne724

I am on Cymbalta and Temazepam. I know conventional wisdom says Benzo taper first. I am in severe tolerance. I am afraid of total insomnia as I am in severe pain from cervical dystonia I believe caused by Cymbalta. Can I taper Cymbalta first? 

Not knowing what I was doing 

tapered from 120 to 60mg in 2016- on for 19 years

tapeted from up and down 30 mg to 9mg. In 2016. On since January 2015. Tardive dyskinesias and awake full body seizures every day since November 2016

• ChessieCat changed the title to Suzanne724: Which first Cymbalta or Temazepam
  • Moderator Emeritus

Suzanne -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Good on you for investigating tapering before starting.  I hope that lesson wasn't learned the hard way. Thank you for posting a signature that contains your recent medication history and your current doses. 

A discussion topic that addresses your question about which drug to decrease first.

Taking multiple drugs? Which to taper first.

Before you make any changes to your dose, please read:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Are you taking Eli Lilly brand-name Cymbalta, or a generic manufacturer's duloxetine? That answer will likely influence how you taper off Cymbalta.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I already started tapering Benzo and having a lot of withdrawal symptoms. Shaking all over and seizures. Making dystonia worse. Dyskinesias. Many many more. I tried holding for three months and only made things worse. Probably because I was cted on clonazepam  by doctor. At this point I am desperate for guidance. Should I hold Temazepam and reduce generic duloxitine? Please help.

Not knowing what I was doing 

tapered from 120 to 60mg in 2016- on for 19 years

tapeted from up and down 30 mg to 9mg. In 2016. On since January 2015. Tardive dyskinesias and awake full body seizures every day since November 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Suzanne, you'd be best to hold off making any changes to your duloxetine (Cymbalta) dose until your symptoms have weakened and stabilized. 

Because you're dealing with symptoms related to a benzo taper, please start a topic for yourself in our Members-only benzo forum. The moderators there have personal experience with this class of medications and are better able to answer your questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet