rowinghippy

Gastrointestinal issues: SIBO, SIFO, histamine intolerance

rowinghippy

I'm writing to

1. hopefully get some insight,
  2. see if anyone had problems they assumed were WD, but turned out to be something else that once addressed led to noticeable improvement, and 
  3. see if anyone has symptoms not shared by most others here (i.e. my insane hunger/destroyed cues).

Even if you don't read this whole post (long, sorry) answering 2 or 3 would be great!

Long story short, I was recovering from anorexia when put on Celexa. My body was unstable then, and the drugs made it worse. A month in I had increased hunger, looser bowel movements, insomnia, etc. Slowly I developed food sensitivities, dairy first, then gluten, and now it seems a whole host of things.

Recently went to a gastro, was diagnosed with sibo. Took xifaxan for 2 weeks, saw some really good improvement the first week, then worsened the 2nd. Back to where I started before the antibiotic by now. 

I'm struggling to determine if the sibo is what has actually caused my food sensitivities, leaky gut, increased hunger, weight gain (really driving me crazy, especially since I worked so f***ing hard to gain weight/stay stable after anorexia), etc. or if my gut is just messed up b/c of the meds and sibo is a result, reinforcing the above issues. Part of me doesn't think it's entirely WD, since I don't see many people here with the problems I'm facing.

But hunger, etc. problems got to be the worst both times I tapered before, slowly evening out to my state now (not driving me suicidal) which makes me think the sibo/issues are tied to WD (also since the sibo problems seemed to come back immediately after the antibiotic).

I'm going crazy trying to figure everything out (between anorexia recovery, celexa side effects, and now WD, I don't know what 'stability' is). Keep messing around with my diet in the meantime, with little success.

moderator note: SIBO = small intestine bacterial overgrowth

Edited by scallywag

leahy

Hi Rowing,

I am not clear about the weight issue. Are you saying you are overweight now or underweight? I suffer from extreme hunger myself from Remeron. I wish I could get a handle on it. I am sure my leptin/ghrelin is out of whack.

My daughter has SIBO, took xiflaxin with slight improvement, and continues to have pain but can go for longer periods without pain. There is a SIBO fb page if you are interested. She has never taken an antidepressant so we can't blame wd on this SIBO case.

WD and SIBO symptoms can overlap, I'd say, knowing the symptoms of both. It would be hard to isolate which came first. 

Leahy

rowinghippy

Sorry, still overweight. Put on fat pretty easy, lose muscle the minute I undereat/my metabolism is stressed (probably a combo of anorexia recovery + meds). Look as bad as I feel.

The xifaxan I took a few weeks back got rid of the worst of the sibo, but you're right in that it's hard to differentiate sibo from med stuff. At this point I'll just have to accept things until I'm off the meds. If it gets real bad again, I'll beg the doc for more xifaxan (although the side effects, given my state, weren't great).

Wish you and your daughter the best.

tryingtosurvive

Hi, is there anyone else who has experience of gastrointestinal issues after tapering of SSRI ? I wonder if it can all be damages that the SSRI caused cause the serotonin are mainly in the gut and thay also excist in the mastcells which is involved in allergic reactions! I havce developed histamineintolerance after tapering....never had allergies before...

My functional DR thinks I might have SIBO /SIFO /Candida/Leaky gut and wants to treat me for that. But I wonder if it cant all be just still damages from SSRI ??

I have developed histamineintolerance and joint/muscle cramps , brain fog etc. that  I had a lot combined with akatisia and other horrible symptoms during Withdrawal which took me approx .2 years and now its 3 years since I started tapering of SSRI - have been free from ssri for 2 years.

Very grateful to your replies to this !

Meeto

It's common in WD.  I thought I was having gut issues and saw a functional doc who was giving me herbs and vitamins which I was reacting too.  This was before I knew I was in WD from swapping meds and dropping dosages.   

tryingtosurvive

But I am not in WD any more! It was three years ago since I quit prozac. The WD lasted for 1.5 year ....

So now I think it is more likely due to lasting damages to my receptors and the whole serotonin system after 14 years with prozac :/// (I was just a teenager when they started to give that **** to me). 

But also maybe it is fungus or SIBO... Did an urine and a breath  test that suggested so. .. did You do any tests when your functionAl Dr said that u had it?

carlos099

I also had and I still have intestinal issues after I quit cipralex. I have been tested through  ELISA method on IGg antibodies against food, and I have several intolerances...I managed to partially reverse those inflamation through diet, but I still have something going on. I feel like i do not absorb the food in the right way.

Junglechicken
1 hour ago, carlos099 said:

I also had and I still have intestinal issues after I quit cipralex. I have been tested through  ELISA method on IGg antibodies against food, and I have several intolerances...I managed to partially reverse those inflamation through diet, but I still have something going on. I feel like i do not absorb the food in the right way.

Same here, I have a SIBO breath test ("Aerodiagnostics") sitting here waiting for me to do.  Am planning to do it when things are less hectic, as it requires a special diet for 3 days whilst the samples are being collected.

Stress has also impacted my gut's ability to digest food properly, and I suffer from bloating, flatulence and gas in general - "IBS" if you will.

I'm taking a whole load of supplements to counteract the effects stress is having on my GI tract and body.

Have tested negative for Candida overgrowth, and have VERY LOW level intolerances (IGg food panel antibodies) to some foods - also caused by stress, and as confirmed by my Naturopath.

So, after Christmas I'm going to start FODMAPS food elimination rotation.

This all flared up last year, when my body was inflamed and my whole upper body (inc. face) broke out into severe eczema.

tryingtosurvive
On 2017-12-16 at 7:40 PM, carlos099 said:

How long were you on cipralex and from what age ? Did never had issues with food before taking this drug ?

Can you please describe what you mean by not absorbing food the right way ? What are your symptoms?  

Grateful to your reply!

/Trying to survive

tryingtosurvive
On 2017-12-01 at 6:04 AM, Meeto said:

It's common in WD.  I thought I was having gut issues and saw a functional doc who was giving me herbs and vitamins which I was reacting too.  This was before I knew I was in WD from swapping meds and dropping dosages.   

But I got this issues AFTER WD is like prolonged damages to the mastcells and the gut after ssri.... mastcells deal with serotonin too :((( sigh! How much have these **** drug destroyed me :////? Will it ever heal :((( no one knows .. not even the researchers and Dr in the subject. ... :*(

Tootsieroll

This is an interesting topic.  I have same issues.  Massive yeast symptoms and I knew I wasn't obsorbing nutrients due to my lack of muscle tone and the sudden bald spots.  I took an OATs test and it proved I had both.  I am gearing up for IV vitamin/mineral/amino acids next year as i'm healed enough to be not super sensitive to them.  I will be targeting yeast with oregano oil and olive leaf extract.

I am allergic to many foods.  Last week I went to a resto and listed the foods I can't eat to a waiter.  They just felt so sorry for me.  Like most here, this didn't start till everything fell apart from withdrawals.

ps.  I was told to stop probiotics and fermented foods cause my gut is fermenting anything I eat.  My gut is obviously sluggish and doesn't react like a normal persons not in withdrawal.

Callie

I have many symptoms now in ad wd at 8.5 months. I am starting to become terrified because within the last two months, I've noticed that I've lost a tremendous amount of weight and my muscles are deteriorating. From the beginning, I had constipation which became chronic. Idk, something is just not right with my digestive system. Now from searching the Net, I find that all of this might mean I am afflicted with malabsorption. Any thoughts, anyone?

In a state of panic,

Callie

carlos099
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, tryingtosurvive said:

How long were you on cipralex and from what age ? Did never had issues with food before taking this drug ?

Can you please describe what you mean by not absorbing food the right way ? What are your symptoms?  

Grateful to your reply!

/Trying to survive

I have been on cipralex for about 1,5 years, from 23yo to almost 25yo. I did not have any food problems before taking it. I noticed a slightly weight gain while taking it (maybe 1kg or so... ), but as soon as I discontinued I gained a lot of weight without any reason. Cellulite, swelling, strange sensation after eating such as nausea and heaviness. Moreover, as I reported in my original post, I started to have some problem with alchool digestion, I could not drink any alchool at all... a single glass made me feel like I drunk a whole bottle of whiskey. Anyway, after almost 2 years of strict gluten free diet and other restriction on diary and junk food in general, I got back my body shape... However, I still have some problems... I am now eating quite a lot, but  I am not able to gain weight at all...along with this I can't put muscles on too... It's quite weird I am on the other side of the coin now... Do you experience something similar to it? Have you been on escitalopram too?

carlos099
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, Tootsieroll said:

This is an interesting topic.  I have same issues.  Massive yeast symptoms and I knew I wasn't obsorbing nutrients due to my lack of muscle tone and the sudden bald spots.  I took an OATs test and it proved I had both.  I am gearing up for IV vitamin/mineral/amino acids next year as i'm healed enough to be not super sensitive to them.  I will be targeting yeast with oregano oil and olive leaf extract.

I am allergic to many foods.  Last week I went to a resto and listed the foods I can't eat to a waiter.  They just felt so sorry for me.  Like most here, this didn't start till everything fell apart from withdrawals.

ps.  I was told to stop probiotics and fermented foods cause my gut is fermenting anything I eat.  My gut is obviously sluggish and doesn't react like a normal persons not in withdrawal.

What kind of supplements are you going to take? I also experience bald spot and lack of muscle tone, even if from athletic point of view it everything seems to be ok, I still perform well.

Have you ever thought about fasting for a while? 

Tootsieroll
17 hours ago, carlos099 said:

What kind of supplements are you going to take? I also experience bald spot and lack of muscle tone, even if from athletic point of view it everything seems to be ok, I still perform well.

Have you ever thought about fasting for a while? 

Sorry I don't have a list of supplements as of yet but he did call it a modified myers cocktail.  He also mentioned a small amount of b2 since I am low in that.  My apptment isn't till 2nd week of January so stay tuned.

I haven't tried fasting only because I experienced hypoglycemic symptoms.  If I didn't eat within a certain time frame I would start to shake and get dizzy.  I may try a strictly vegan diet but only once the IV cocktail commences.

Nada678

Callie    I am in a similar situation to you.  I am still at a low dose of Paxil, but I have lost masses of weight and my muscles are disappearing on my legs.  I also have diarrhea,  and don't think my body is absorbing any nutrients.  It's a frightening experience.  Have you found anything that helps?

Nada

89abc123

Yes I also developed a caffeine intolerance as well as IBS type symptoms. This happened suddenly after about a year of withdrawal. It’s still ongoing.

voyteck

@rowinghippy

Could you share how your SIBO/leaky gut story ended? My specific questions are:

• On what basis were you diagnosed with SIBO (some breath test maybe)?
  • Did you take Xifaxan second time? Did it help?

I am asking cause I am having GI issues too - though different than you. My doctor gave me Xifaxan IN CASE it was SIBO.

But he didn't order any test for it (I already knew about some breath tests but forgot to ask him how reliable they are). I see he doesn't seem to know what's wrong with me. And I am afraid to take any antibiotic again (I took one for lamblia and had very bad side effects. Of course it didn't help).

rowinghippy

I took xifaxan a second time, although it didn't seem to help (made things worse in some ways it seems; it was a while ago and my memory is a bit foggy from that time); it's a powerful antibiotic, and I had side effects from it to boot. I was initially diagnosed via the breath test. Not sure if it was really sibo, or just withdrawal crap all along.

My gut was messed up for a while after the xifaxan rounds (would have been even if I didn't take xifaxan though). I messed with probiotics and different diets, but I think time was the main factor, as was finally getting off the med completely (even while tapering, the fact that I was on the med still was making my gut worse). I started strict keto around the time I finally jumped off, which for the next year helped with many things, gut included (I modified it further to match my food sensitivities). I also went on synthroid for a year which made things worse again, but since getting off that and having been off the ssri for over a year plus being 2.5 years into withdrawal, my gut has recovered a lot over time.

voyteck

Thank you for your time.

I couldn't wait any longer and I am already by the end of Xifaxan treatment (7th day). It seems it didn't help - no surprise. Next proof it's withdrawal and nothing can save me, except from my own mind / body and time.

KMart95

I am wondering if anyone knows what might cause SIBO in withdrawal? 4 years ago I got SIBO when I went off Celexa. I treated it sucessfully and felt great for 3 years until I can off my meds again recently. It always comes back when I stop my SSRI (confirmed with breath test) . 

Gridley
3 hours ago, KMart95 said:

I am wondering if anyone knows what might cause SIBO in withdrawal? 4 years ago I got SIBO when I went off Celexa. I treated it sucessfully and felt great for 3 years until I can off my meds again recently. It always comes back when I stop my SSRI (confirmed with breath test) . 

Here is an SA link that discusses SIBO.  You can also Google "SurvivingAntidepressants SIBO"

Gastrointestinal issues: SIBO, SIFO, histamine intolerance - Symptoms ...