Marconius: down to 10 mg Paxil, hitting some bumps in the road

Marconius

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Marconius said:

After a brief reprieve of symptoms for maybe two days, I'm struggling again.  Low appetite, low mood, tense, feeling heavy, having a hard time concentrating.  I'm almost certain I'm going to updose tonight, likely to 2mg Paxil from 1.85.  I wish I could say I'm strong enough to deal with all of these symptoms, but I don't feel I am.  I need relief, and I really hope I get it by updosing.

What you're describing is the classic windows and waves pattern, which is normal during withdrawal. There will be good days and bad days. Please see: 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Updosing is unlikely to fix the problem of having recently gone off and back on the supplements. 

I would hold everything steady for a few days and see if your nervous system settles down. You haven't been at 2 mg for months. Do you really want to undo all that work? 

If you're struggling at work, are you able to take a day off using vacation or sick leave and give yourself time to rest? 

Thanks Shep.  I hear you, but I've been going downhill since late March.  I'm less concerned about progress and more concerned with feeling okay.  At work today I was restless, couldn't concentrate, my skin was crawling; I had diarrhea and no appedite.  I went home in the middle of the day.  There's a chance that going up some can help me.  If it does, then 2mg would be a place for me to stabilize at for a few months before I do a slower micro taper.

I wonder... Is it possible that the Paxil has damaged my system to the point where I'll always need to be on a small dose?

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

2006-2012 Paxil, 4 mo. unsuccessful taper

2012-2014 Paxil, quick taper with switch to Lamictal with disastrous results

2014 Lamictal & Brintellix

2014-2019 Paxil & BuSpar.  Slow Paxil taper over 30 mo. ending in Jan 2019; unsuccessful taper

2019 Paxil 10 mg, started slow taper down, about 10% of previous dose/month

2022 Paxil: Jan 11: 1.92mg, Feb 15: 1.85mg, Mar 1: 1.79mg, Mar 22: 1.7mg, May 18: 1.85mg, Jun 7: 2mg,

Jun 13: 2.3mg, Jun 17: 2mg

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Marconius said:

I wonder... Is it possible that the Paxil has damaged my system to the point where I'll always need to be on a small dose?

I don't know. We do have members who decide to minimize their drug burden as opposed to coming off of everything. Since these drugs can cause tolerance (here's an explanation - Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance or as It's Lovingly Known “Poop-Out”), it's possible that you may eventually experience problems at any dose if you stay on it long enough. 

These drugs can be very concentrated at the lower doses. See:

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

So going at an extremely slow taper rate at the lower doses is recommended. 

I totally get that now - about the lower doses being the hardest to taper.  I've seen the hyperbolic response curves and watched videos by Dr. Mark Horowitz and others.  Last night I went up to 2 mg Paxil.  I'm hoping this helps with my symptoms - especially my restlessness / borderline akathisia.  Then after stabilizing for a few months, I'll do an even slower taper than I was doing before.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

2014-2019 Paxil & BuSpar.  Slow Paxil taper over 30 mo. ending in Jan 2019; unsuccessful taper

2022 Paxil: Jan 11: 1.92mg, Feb 15: 1.85mg, Mar 1: 1.79mg, Mar 22: 1.7mg, May 18: 1.85mg, Jun 7: 2mg,

Will do.  Thank you.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my update:

Wed, 6/8: I was experiencing high anxiety with restlessness and icy/hot skin tingling at work, and I had very little appetite.  I was pacing in the luchroom and almost went home.  I was really having a hard time sitting still.  I took 0.25 mg Klonopin which chilled me out more than I expected.  I was able to get through the rest of the day without the intense restlessness and anxiety.

Thursday - Saturday: I was functional, fairly relaxed, and able to focus and get things done.

Sunday, 6/12: Anxiety crept back in as did my low appetite.

Monday 6/13: High anxiety at work, restlessness, low appetite, skin tingling (scalp, back extremities).  I took 0.25 mg Klonopin which didn't seem to help much.   I spoke with my manager about what was going on, and he said that if I needed time off, that was o.k.  This evening I increased Paxil to 2.2 mg.

Tuesday: My regular day off.  Feeling the same symptoms, called my manager and took some time off.  Checking in with him next Tuesday.  Force-fed myself throughout the day.  Slept well at night.

Wednesday: Woke w/ low-to-moderate anxiety.  My friend took me out to breakfast where I ate a lot despite almost no appetite.  Just chewed and swallowed.  Drank lots of water.  Then we went for a 45 minute walk around a park which was challenging for me in my weak, anxious state, but it felt good for me too.  I took another 0.25 mg  Klonopin in the afternoon.  I got hold of my psychiatrist and told him all of my symptoms.  He said that I should go up to 10 or 20 mg Paxil.  I told him I wasn't interested in going that high because of the side effects, and I reminded him that I was doing quite well at 5, 4, 3, and even 2 mg, so why would I want to go that high?  He just said that I'm suffering from anxiety and depression and I should go up to at least 10 mg.  I said to him, "I'm experiencing icy/hot skin tingles, nausea, diarrhea, low appetite, and anxiety.  These are classic withdrawal symptoms, are they not?"  He just ignored the question and kept repeating himself.  I told him that I might go up to 4 or 5 mg.  He said to leave him a voicemail the next day as to what I decided to do.

Wednesday evening, I was feeling relaxed and talkative on the phone with friends.  I actually was thinking that maybe I was starting to level out.  I decided to stay at the 2.2 mg because I just started that level on Monday night, and I know that everything takes time when it comes to the nervous system.

Thursday (today):  I didn't sleep much at all last night.  This morning I woke with mild nausea, low appetite, skin tingles on extremities, anxiety, and a feeling of great uncertainty.  I cleaned myself up and got dressed and walked to the nearby restaurant where I again force-fed myself.  Chew, swallow, chew, swallow.  I drank way too much water, and for the next few hours I was peeing frequently.  I took another 0.25 mg Klonopin in the afternoon.  The Klonopin helped me to calm down and relax this afternoon.

I'm feeling a lot of uncertainty.  I did meditate this morning and plan to continue doing this.  I really crave stability but I know that I need to be patient and try to accept where I'm at instead of fighting it.  I'm aware that I'm probably leaning on the Klonopin too much.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you!

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/31/2022 at 7:37 AM, Shep said:

If you did need to updose, I wouldn't go back to 2 mg. You haven't been at 2 mg for months (from your signature, it looks like it might have been sometime in 2021).

3 hours ago, Marconius said:

This evening I increased Paxil to 2.2 mg.

I'm aware that I'm probably leaning on the Klonopin too much.

These quotes are likely connected. Your nervous system may be hyper-reacting to the updose and now you've taken Klonopin Monday, Wednesday, and today. Periodic benzo dosing can cause rebound, interdose, and / or paradoxical reactions, so some of your symptoms may be connected to the Klonopin, even if it gives you some temporary relief. Please note you can become dependent on periodic benzos, so yes, you may be leaning on Klonopin too much, as you noted. 

Between the too high Paxil updose and the periodic benzos, your nervous system is not being given the time to stabilize. 

Feeling the same symptoms, called my manager and took some time off.

This sounds like a great idea. While you have some time off for self care, I would get rid of the Klonopin before you become dependent. You were on Klonopin previously which means you could end up kindling your nervous system if you develop another dependency. You may also want to reduce the Paxil to where you were before June 13 when you increased to 2.2 mg. These types of abrupt changes can traumatize your nervous system. 

This is a really good article that explains kindling: 

Kindling

Thank you, Shep.  O.k, so maybe reduce it to 2mg which is where I was between June 7 and June 13?  What about updosing as a strategy to alleviate withdrawal symptoms?  I made what I thought were incremental increases from 1.7 to 1.85, then to 2, then to 2.2.  I left at least a week between each of these changes.  When I didn't experience symptom relief, I updosed slightly.  I'm a little confused as to why this doesn't make sense.  I was at 1.7 for two months, and I experienced increasing withdrawal symptoms during that time, so it seemed prudent to updose slightly.  Do you think that increase made sense?  I really appreciate your input!

Edited by Marconius
spelling error

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Marconius said:

O.k, so maybe reduce it to 2mg which is where I was between June 7 and June 13?

Yes.

What about updosing as a strategy to alleviate withdrawal symptoms?

No, updosing should never be a strategy to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. Updosing should be something that is done very rarely and used in a much more strategic way.

We go by a harm reduction method of tapering which emphasizes a slow taper as the main strategy. See:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please also read the first post in this thread for some important concepts on dose changes: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The above thread is about reinstating but some of the concepts are the same for updosing, including the fact that your body may have adjusted to a lower dose and reinstating (or updosing) too high a dose can cause your body to hyper-react. Another similarity is reinstating (and updosing) don't always work. So that wouldn't be good to use as a strategy for your taper. Best to taper slowly and go into long holds when needed.

I made what I thought were incremental increases from 1.7 to 1.85, then to 2, then to 2.2.  I left at least a week between each of these changes.  When I didn't experience symptom relief, I updosed slightly.  I'm a little confused as to why this doesn't make sense.  I was at 1.7 for two months, and I experienced increasing withdrawal symptoms during that time, so it seemed prudent to updose slightly.  Do you think that increase made sense?

Some people find they need to hold for a long time. A week is not long enough. Please see:

Stabilizing, what does that mean? How long does it take after reinstating or updosing?

Can a long hold pull you out of a taper gone amiss?

Alto noted this in the above thread:

On 1/11/2014 at 4:41 PM, Altostrata said:

You need to bring some order to the chaos. If you hold at one level (of all your drugs), you are at least giving your nervous system some stability. Given the constants -- which still may be causing adverse effects, etc. -- your nervous system will regroup over time.

Once you see some consistency in symptom pattern, you can carefully adjust dosage of one drug at time to see what will help.

If you have been tapering systematically and run into a rough spot, holding can help you get past it. At least, when you hold, you can track your symptom pattern and see what the balance of waves and windows might be. If windows are gradually getting longer and more frequent -- a positive sign -- your nervous system is adjusting to the cumulative decreases and you will eventually be in a position to continue tapering.

If during a hold the windows pattern is not promising, a slight updose may be called for, as Petu said.

In order to see this type of overall symptom pattern, you would need to hold for a long time, much longer than the one week you were allowing between updoses. 

In your signature, you have "2005-2016 Klonopin." How did you taper off of Klonopin? Did you go into protracted benzo withdrawal? If so, you may still be dealing with some benzo withdrawal symptoms. Protracted benzo withdrawal can take many years to resolve completely. 

With this type of polypharmacy history and possible trauma from prior withdrawals, you may want to consider a micro-taper with long holds as a strategy for getting off of Paxil. 

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

You may want to use the Brassmonkey Slide, which involves tiny weekly reductions instead of a larger monthly reductions. This is gentler on the nervous system.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

But for now, I would go back down to 2 mg Paxil and get rid of the Klonopin so you're not tempted to keep taking them and risk another benzo dependency. 

Shep, Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and for all of the links.  I've read some of them before, and I've just finished re-reading a bunch of them.  In the coming days I'll be reading more about micro-tapering for when I'm ready to continue tapering.  It's sinking in... stability is king; updosing is almost always not the answer!  I'll be going back to 2mg Paxil tonight from the 2.2mg I've been at the last few nights.

And here's some very GOOD NEWS...

I've had a rough stretch lately, and yesterday was no exception.  After a sleepless night, I was anxious with nausea and no appetite.  I worked hard to feed myself and just get through the day.  After posting the update last night, I continued to feel very uneasy and full of worry; my body was twitchy, and I was stuck on wondering how long this state of mind would last.

Well, I decided to try something new.  I remembered the technique suggested in this community about the legs on the wall yoga pose.  I pulled up a YouTube video and got the gist of it.  After pulling out a mat and finding an empty wall space, I scooted my butt to the wall as my feet climbed up.  Within a few seconds, I felt gentle pressure on the top of my head, as if I were wearing a baseball cap.  I took in deep breaths through my nose and out through the mouth.  Shortly after, I felt a sense of calm take over, and I stopped worrying about pretty much everything.  I just took in the experience and focused on my breathing.  I stayed in the pose for twenty minutes, then after gently lowering myself down, I did some cat-cow stretches.  I felt very relaxed, and for the rest of the evening, I didn't feel anxious or worried; I just felt...peaceful.

I slept the whole night through, and this morning I didn't have any anxiety.  I ended up having a GREAT day!  I got a lot of errands done, ate a bagel and decaf coffee at a coffee shop, got my haircut, visited my neighbor for an hour, bought plants for the garden.  I had a decent appetite all day, and everything was pretty effortless.

I know this is just one day, but I'm encouraged by how the yoga pose helped me.  I read later that this pose activates the parasympathetic nervous system, and for sure, it had a very calming effect on my body.  I practiced the pose again this evening for another 20 minutes, and I feel good tonight.

I'm enjoying this window, and I'll be doing what's in my power to try and keep steady, including doing this yoga pose very frequently.

Thanks again, Shep for all of your support!

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

I realized last night that I had been taking 2.3mg Paxil since Monday, not 2.2; I just somehow messed up when I created my label reminding me how much of the pill weight to take.  I went back to 2mg starting last night, as Shep suggested, and there I will stay for some time.

This morning I feel ok.  Not as carefree as yesterday, but functional.  No nausea.  I can't say my appetite's great this morning, but I got down a bagel and eggs.

I'm going to do the viparita karani (legs-up-the-wall pose) after a walk.

- Marconius

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

On 6/17/2022 at 5:24 AM, Shep said:

How did you taper off of Klonopin? Did you go into protracted benzo withdrawal? If so, you may still be dealing with some benzo withdrawal symptoms.

If I remember correctly, I took about 9 months coming off the Klonopin.  My recollection is a bit foggy now.  I think I was on about 0.5mg a day, and I tapered off of it by cutting it, but I wasn't using a scale.  It was more like 3/4 of a pill and hold, 1/2 a pill and hold, etc.  I remember dealing with frequent low to moderate anxiety while tapering as well as depressed mood.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

• Moderator Emeritus

@Marconius Thank you for your update.

I'm glad you reduced the drug and found relief in a yoga pose. Good work! The legs up the wall yoga pose is such an excellent way to relax. 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:25 AM, Marconius said:

If I remember correctly, I took about 9 months coming off the Klonopin.  My recollection is a bit foggy now.  I think I was on about 0.5mg a day, and I tapered off of it by cutting it, but I wasn't using a scale.  It was more like 3/4 of a pill and hold, 1/2 a pill and hold, etc.  I remember dealing with frequent low to moderate anxiety while tapering as well as depressed mood.

You have Buspar in your signature from 2014 - 2019 but it's not listed in any of the following years. Did you stop buspar in 2019? Was that prescribed to help with your Klonopin withdrawal back in 2016 or were you on Buspar prior to going off Klonopin? The reason I'm asking is to get a clearer picture of your benzo experience, especially withdrawal. 

• 7 months later...

Hi @Marconius,

How are you doing?

My story is similar to yours. I'm at 6 mg paroxetine. At this point I got hit with severe nausea and low appetite.

2017 - 2018 Lexapro (CT, no withdrawals)  2018 - 2019 Zoloft (CT, no withdrawals)

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

5/1/22 - started fast tapter,  10mg 3 weeks, 5mg 3 weeks, 0mg 2 days.   7/1/22 - start of withdrawals, dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, shaky. Reinstated 10mg

8/1/22 - 9mg - anxiety, panic attacks, sleep disorders (4-6 hours)  9/1/22 - 8mg - anxiety, panic attacks are gone. Sleep back to normal. Still struggling with appetite. Sporadic abdominal cramps  10/10/22 - 7.2 mg   11/10/22 - 6.6 mg - Tinnitus started after 2 weeks. Nausea is gone and appetite is slowly returning. 

12/12/22 - 6 mg  1/11/23- 5.4 mg  1/13/23- 6 mg (up dosed) nausea is back in full force 5/9/23 - changed to home made liquid (dissolves 20mg in 20ml) - 5.9ml

supplements: magnesium 300mg, taurine 2g, fish oil, vitamin E, probiotics, bioactive milk peptides,  L-theanine

Hi Cloudy,

Thanks for reaching out.  I'm doing pretty well, but I'm not off Paxil.  In fact my yoga pose reprieve was but a brief one-day escape into normalcy.  One of the moderators suggested it was a good idea to go back down on the Paxil right after I had gone up a little.  I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but the next day I felt terrible again; the anxiety and restlessness were back full force.  I remember going to the movies with a friend and I couldn't sit still and had to leave after fifteen minutes.  I was in a bad place for a few weeks - anxiety, depression, very low appetite.  I missed five weeks of work and ended up going up on the Paxil to 15 mg.  I haven't been posting here I think because I'm a little embarrassed, and frustrated too.

But I've been stable now for almost 7 months, and I'm grateful for that.  I have a new holistic psychiatrist who actually had my blood drawn and determined that I have a deficit of Vitamin D and folate, so now I'm taking Vitamin D3 and L-Metylfolate supplements.  I also feel like she listens to me better than my previous psychiatrists, and she's supportive of me getting off of Paxil one day.  I'm just not sure exactly how.

I'm sorry to hear about your challenges - the nausea and low appetite.  When I was at my worst, I had to force feed myself; I ate a lot of yogurt with berries, shakes, and pizza.  I found it a little easier to eat in the evenings.

I'll be hoping for your relief soon!

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

Hi @Marconius,

I'm so glad you are doing well. Thank you for sharing this and for the tips.

So, you were at 2mg and went back up to 15mg? I'm curious, why did you decide on 15mg? What was your lowest dose you were stable on? 

I was doing very well before I went down to 5.4mg and got hit with severe nausea and appetite loss (this is my only symptom), so I up-dosed back to 6mg . 

I'm also considering a cross taper to another SSRI if things won't settle down.

2017 - 2018 Lexapro (CT, no withdrawals)  2018 - 2019 Zoloft (CT, no withdrawals)

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

5/1/22 - started fast tapter,  10mg 3 weeks, 5mg 3 weeks, 0mg 2 days.   7/1/22 - start of withdrawals, dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, shaky. Reinstated 10mg

8/1/22 - 9mg - anxiety, panic attacks, sleep disorders (4-6 hours)  9/1/22 - 8mg - anxiety, panic attacks are gone. Sleep back to normal. Still struggling with appetite. Sporadic abdominal cramps  10/10/22 - 7.2 mg   11/10/22 - 6.6 mg - Tinnitus started after 2 weeks. Nausea is gone and appetite is slowly returning. 

12/12/22 - 6 mg  1/11/23- 5.4 mg  1/13/23- 6 mg (up dosed) nausea is back in full force 5/9/23 - changed to home made liquid (dissolves 20mg in 20ml) - 5.9ml

supplements: magnesium 300mg, taurine 2g, fish oil, vitamin E, probiotics, bioactive milk peptides,  L-theanine

Hi Cloudy,

I remember that in January of 2022, I was right around 2 mg, maybe just a little below.  In hindsight, I wish that I had stopped at 2 mg and just stayed there for a few months to let my system really stabilize, but I continued decreasing at about 10% of the previous dose every 6 weeks.  Once I started experiencing increasing withdrawal symptoms (at about 1.6 mg perhaps), I stopped tapering, but the symptoms continued to snowball.  Once out of work, I tried to do tiny updoses, but time went by with no improvement, and I was starting to feel desperate.  My psychiatrist wanted me to go up to 20 mg, but I refused.  I went up to 5 mg (reluctantly), but then another 10 days went by with no improvement.  I started to fear if I would ever get out of the desperate shape I was in, so I updosed to 10 mg, and finally to 15 mg after which I stabilized.  If I had updosed to 5 mg and stayed there a few more weeks, maybe I would have stabilized, but the withdrawal symptoms were preventing me from living any kind of normal independent life, so I did what I thought I needed to do.

I find myself rethinking those few months, over and over again, imagining what I would have done differently so that I wouldn't be back up to 15 mg.  But I have to learn to let that go.  At least I'm still on a "sub-therapeutic" dose, and I'm doing alright.

Now that you're up to 6 mg, are you doing better?  Is your appetite back and your nausea gone?

As for cross-tapering to another SSRI, such as a Prozac bridge, in theory it makes sense, but in reality, I have a very hard time finding success stories with this approach.  My new holistic psychiatrist has a background in treating those with addictions, and she told me that she's used the Prozac bridge successfully once to help someone get off of an SSRI (not Paxil; I forget which one).  But that's just one story.  If you know of more success stories with this approach, I'd be interested in learning more.

I will start tapering again soon.  Getting down to 5 mg was pretty smooth sailing for me in the past.  I'd like to get back down to that level again, then hold for a good while.

Take care,

David (aka Marconius)

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

Hey David,

It sounds like you didn't have a choice but to up-dose, which eventually brought you relief. 

I'm at a similar dilemma now. If I would know for sure that up-dosing will end my suffering I would do that. 

Unfortunately my nausea is still here and constant throughout the day. It makes my so depressed, I can barely concentrate at work.

The only improvement is that it is less present at night during my sleep (this is a huge improvement as I couldn't sleep with the nausea). My appetite is low, but at least I'm not losing weight.

Actually I found many cases here and on other forums of people successfully cross tapering from paroxetine to prozac or citalopram (though there are probably similar number of failures). 

If bridging is the last option for me to get rid of this drug, I will do it. 

I'm glad that you plan on resuming tapering again. Hope I will go easier for you this time.

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

Hi Marconius, you are still fighting and winning bit by bit. I had a compounding pharmacy mess me up to. Just be patient...I keep telling myself the same thing. Others have been successful getting off Paxil and we will too. 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

@CloudyToday,

That's interesting that you have a low appetite but you're not losing weight; I remember losing about 10 lbs over a few weeks when I didn't have an appetite.  I hear your frustration and determination, and I'm sorry that your nausea is impacting you so much.  If I come across any suggestions, I'll send them your way.

You wrote that if you knew that updosing would help, you'd do it.  I understand that uncertainty as I wasn't sure that updosing was going to get me out of the hole I was in, but it ultimately did.  At the same time, I'm sure you also don't want to undue all the progress you've made.

Maybe I've looked in the wrong places, but it seems when I look into Prozac Bridge stories, I don't find many at all, and when I do, they usually don't result in success.  If you have a couple of links to those stories handy, please send them my way.  I'll also check out the success story section here again soon.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

@LostInCanada,

Thanks for your kind words; I do appreciate it!

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

@Marconiusare you cutting your own pills or using liquid paxil or making your own liquid paxil now? I am holding at 5mg till I stabilize... who knows when that will be but I definitely don't want to undo the healing so far. 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

@LostInCanada Holding where you are for a good while sounds like a great idea!  Once I start tapering again, I'll be cutting and weighing Paxil in gelatin capsules.  I have a little capsule holder that I put on the scale.  I put the capsule in the hole, zero out the scale, and add small nuggets of the cut Paxil until I get the right weight, then I cap the capsule.  Once I get down to somewhere between 3 and 5 mg, I think I'll switch to a liquid made from a manufacturer.  I've bought it before.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

Unfortunately in Canada no one makes the liquid. Hope you are having a good day. 

Hi David,

See here for example:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/19373-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-fluoxetine/?do=findComment&comment=27550

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/20346-archie/?do=findComment&comment=492125

You can find more on reddit forums (just enter the search term: "paxil to prozac" + site:reddit.com or "prozac bridge" + site:reddit.com) and there are also several reports in the Facebook group, but there are also many reports of people who failed to do it. It is a gamble, no doubt.

Did you also have bad nausea after each drop? How long did the nausea last?

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

@LostInCanada,  That's unfortunate to hear that Paxil's not available in the liquid form in Canada; I see that it was discontinued in the UK last Fall.  GSK should be required to offer it in liquid form wherever they sell Paxil.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

I agree. The crazy thing is that Apotex in the USA makes the liquid version but Apotex in Canada doesn't and our laws won't allow us to import it. Withdrawal and these drugs are bad enough without adding all the politics too. Others have gotten off Paxil by just cutting the tablets so that is my plan. 

@CloudyToday ,  Thanks very much for the links!  I was just reading through some of the stories, and it's all very interesting.

Nausea started for me around March of 2022 after being under 2 mg Paxil for a little while.  My drops prior to that didn't cause nausea or any other significant issues.

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

45 minutes ago, LostInCanada said:

I agree. The crazy thing is that Apotex in the USA makes the liquid version but Apotex in Canada doesn't...

That is crazy!  You're our neighbors to the North, and we should be able to share!

1997-2002 prozac

2005 prozac

2005-2016 Klonopin

2006 Wellbutrin

• Mentor
3 hours ago, LostInCanada said:

The crazy thing is that Apotex in the USA makes the liquid version but Apotex in Canada doesn't and our laws won't allow us to import it. Withdrawal and these drugs are bad enough without adding all the politics too.

I wonder if it could be gotten over the counter in Mexico? Would that be legal to cross the border with? I don't know how this stuff works tbh.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

11 hours ago, littlebird said:

I wonder if it could be gotten over the counter in Mexico? Would that be legal to cross the border with? I don't know how this stuff works tbh.

Hi @littlebirdCanada Customs would confiscate it if it was more than one bottle. You can only bring back enough for immediate use and it would have to be with a prescription. But thanks for trying. ❤️👍

On 2/16/2023 at 7:48 PM, LostInCanada said:

I agree. The crazy thing is that Apotex in the USA makes the liquid version but Apotex in Canada doesn't and our laws won't allow us to import it. Withdrawal and these drugs are bad enough without adding all the politics too. Others have gotten off Paxil by just cutting the tablets so that is my plan. 

Can you have a compounding pharmacy in Canada make you a liquid?

@Tarihi and welcome to SA. Shoppers Drug Mart says they can do it with Oraplus, only thing is that same pharmacy gave my hubby 100 naproxen when the prescription was for 10. Also a compounding pharmacy here made up some 5mg paroxetine for me and I took them for 3 days. From day one it was like I was either CT withdrawal symptoms or serotonin syndrome.... I was a mess. So it has kind of shaken my faith in trusting a pharmacy to do it right. At present I am just cutting my pills and waiting to stabilize. Maybe someone will make a YouTube showing how to do it in detail.👍

Sorry @MarconiusI thought this was on my intro and I don't know how to move it. Hope you are doing well.