MikaAngel: Need some advice please

MikaAngel

Hello.

I had a few panic attacks because I was worried about my headaches. A Neurologist prescribed 15mg mirtazapine for anxiety and headaches. Which I took for two weeks, wasn’t helping much, just made me feel tired, more anxious and had dearealization. Dr. Said it’s okay to stop so I CT’d for 5 days. W/D were rough (shaking, might sweats, insomnia, nausea, lost 8 lbs in 5 days, severe heart palpitations) so I reinstated 15mg for 2 days then 7.5mg for 3 weeks then 3.75mg for 5 days then 1.875 for 1 day then jumped because I was feeling fine. Two days later, full blown W/D suffering bad. I then reinstated to 3.75mg and since then each day has been getting worse with brain issues, can’t think, head fog, scared, paranoid, shaking. Can anyone help me? It has been 2 weeks since I reinstated. Every day seems to be getting worse. I am scared of everything, everything triggers me, I feel as if I am sensitized. It’s hard to write this. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, MikaAngel, and welcome to SA.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

You have made many dose changes in a short time, including a CT, causing these withdrawal symptoms  Your brain needs stability.  

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug in the only known way to alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  We recommend reinstatement of a very small dose because as after a CT or rapid taper the brain gets accustomed to the lower dose.  When you reinstate at a too high dose, the brain can't handle it.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

I suggest you reinstate at 1 mg and hold there for at least three months to allow your brain to stabilize.

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  

Two supplements that we recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  Magnesium glycinate is a good form of magnesium.

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks so much for replying. I have already reinstated at 3.75 for two weeks and every day seems to get worse. Cognitively can’t think, shaking, anxiety through the roof, can barely function outside. Are you saying to drop to 1mg? I’m honestly scared because I’ve become so sensitive to everything. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, my suggestion is to drop to 1mg and hold there.  My feeling is that 3.75 is too much for your system.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Will I be okay in doing that? Are you sure? I’ve been doing so bad and I’m honestly scared to drop. Since the last 2 day CT, I’ve suffered a lot and every day is getting worse. I’m just scared it will harm me, especially since I’ve been on 3.75mg for 2 weeks now

• Moderator Emeritus

No, I'm not sure.  There is no certainty in dealing with these drugs, and reinstating is one of the areas that is most unsure.  I'm going to flag your post so the other moderators can take a look.  So, if you want, why don't you hold off making any changes until we hear from another moderator?

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

5 hours ago, MikaAngel said:

Hello.

I had a few panic attacks because I was worried about my headaches. A Neurologist prescribed 15mg mirtazapine for anxiety and headaches. Which I took for two weeks, wasn’t helping much, just made me feel tired, more anxious and had dearealization. Dr. Said it’s okay to stop so I CT’d for 5 days. W/D were rough (shaking, might sweats, insomnia, nausea, lost 8 lbs in 5 days, severe heart palpitations) so I reinstated 15mg for 2 days then 7.5mg for 3 weeks then 3.75mg for 5 days then 1.875 for 1 day then jumped because I was feeling fine. Two days later, full blown W/D suffering bad. I then reinstated to 3.75mg and since then each day has been getting worse with brain issues, can’t think, head fog, scared, paranoid, shaking. Can anyone help me? It has been 2 weeks since I reinstated. Every day seems to be getting worse. I am scared of everything, everything triggers me, I feel as if I am sensitized. It’s hard to write this. 

I’d like to add that I feel as if my nerves are sensitized now. Can’t be around too many people, can’t watch tv, no music 

• ChessieCat changed the title to MikaAngel: Need some advice please
  • Administrator

Hi, Mika.

Decreasing to 1mg may make those symptoms go away. Please let us know how you're doing.

What time of day do you take mirtazapine? Are the symptoms worse at some times of day? How is your sleep? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Are you taking any other drugs? Are you prone to health anxiety?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, 

thanks for the reply. I take mirtazapine before bed around 11-12. Symptoms are upon waking up, during the day and evening sometimes. If I keep it light I get peaceful nights but it’s a lot of work not to get disturbed. Sleep is broken somewhat since my first CT but it’s better if I meditate, which I do when I can. Not taking any other drugs, just CBD oil, magnesium, fish oil. 

I get burning sensations through my body, goes away then comes back. My body shakes when I get nervous several times a day. There’s internal shaking sometimes in the day. I suddenly startle very easily. I’ve been having days with derealization and fear that I might be like this forever. Being around people even family scares me and I feel as if I get very sensitive to everything. Will this go away? Is this just withdrawal? I’m also having racing negative thoughts which I never had before. Seems with every drop my mental state gets worse and I’m really worried. I have only been taking mirtazapine since July 18. I am 27 years old. 

Also, dropping to 1mg, is that safe? I just don’t think I can handle the mental suffering.

thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/13/2018 at 8:32 AM, MikaAngel said:

Can anyone help me? It has been 2 weeks since I reinstated. Every day seems to be getting worse. I am scared of everything, everything triggers me, I feel as if I am sensitized. It’s hard to write this. 

Hi MikaAngel,

It can be very scary, and it does sound like your nervous system became very sensitized.  Dropping to the 1 mg. dosage shouldn't make things worse, at this point.  However, it might take some time and patience to see if it helps.  Generally it can take about 4 days to feel the effect of a dosage change.  It may be that when you reinstated at 3.75 mg that that dosage was just too much for you. 

Our CNS(central nervous system) really do like stability When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug. When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

Could you work on the signature that Gridley mentioned initially?  Here's the link for that again.  signature instructions  The signature is the part that you see below other members posts(unless you are viewing from a phone device.......you can still create a signature from phone devices though)

How are you feeling today?

Here is our topic on mirtazapine.  This will help explain how to get to a lower dosage of the mirtazapine, if you decide to try that.

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine

On 9/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. 

Do try and work on the daily notes, first on paper and then share here for us.  This will help you to see patterns now and then will also help us to evaluate and advise.  Keep it simple when you share it here, on your introduction.  The simple list format.  Time on the left.  Brief notation on the right of symptoms, drug and dosage.

More how to on this here:  Keeping daily notes

This is different from the signature.  I know it can seem confusing when you first arrive here.

All for now.

Love, peace, healing, growth, and hugs,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
punctuation, spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
On 9/14/2018 at 6:48 AM, MikaAngel said:

Also, yes I am very much prone to health anxiety. Everything happening to my body from this drug scares me. 

You're going to have to practice meditation to stay calm. You will need to observe your symptoms to make notes about them.

Withdrawal symptoms typically come in waves. Since you reinstated 3.75mg, have your symptoms gotten better or worse? Has anything gotten better in the last 2 weeks?

When you first too 3.75mg, how did it make you feel? When you take 3.75mg at 11 p.m., what happens then?

We really need those daily notes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata?

since reinstating the heart palpitations have lessened but the anxiety, non stop worry and fear have gotten worse. I wake up with racing thoughts and I’m scared to be by myself. It’s as if the small things I worried about prior to taking mirtazapine I am now dwelling about and they haunt me. I feel nauseas and can’t concentrate.

Basically, physical symptoms have lessened but anxiety and fear is worse.

I only took mirtazapine for 2.5 weeks then CT, are you sure it’s okay to drop to 1mg? 

Since I haven’t been on this long will it effect the recovery? I have never taken any antidepressants or benzos prior to this. 

I will work on the signature when I am feeling better.