NickolasBumbee: dapoxetine / Priligy - need some advice

NickolasBumbee

Dapoxetine (Priligy) * has ruined my life for 7 years. Need some advice to get my life back!

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I'm a 26 year old male from India. Everything before 7 years for which I'm still suffering housebound. I'm an asthmatic & I bought some asthma medications over the counter. I started taking the medicine for some days but found no change. I thought that it was a low dose & took 5 tablets at once. Sometime after my asthma resolved. Suddenly 4 days after taking the medicine I didn't sleep the following night. I didn't sleep even a minute with runny nose along with hives. A week later i lost most oty speaking skills. No one understood that what I said. My memory became like a sparrow's memory. I couldn't hold up conversations & it took several hours to understand a sentence in the text book. My muscles are so tight & rigid. My penis permanently shrunk less than a 12 year Old's penis. I couldn't drive a motorcycle or perform complex dance steps. My insomnia lasted for 3 years. I quit college as I went from a class topper to a fail in all subjects. After an year getting the symptoms I went to a psychiatrist & he diagnosed me with anxiety disorder although I had no reason to worry at the time of getting symptoms. I went to multiple doctors & everyone diagnosed me with a mental illness prescribing me SSRI or Benzos. Symptoms never resolved. But after ten years I get a substantial amount of sleep & my memory has improved quite. Everything is improving but at a very slow pace. It's been 3 years since I stopped going to the doctor. I'm housebound & jobless. I never gave up & started researching on the internet using my symptoms. Till now I have gone through thousands of medical literature & notes. I cut upon the causes to Autoimmune disorders, encephalitis, Allergy, rare medical conditions, seep deprivation. I went for brain imaging, multiple blood tests, mineral tests, harmone tests & to my disappointment everything came back normal.

After few days an empty tablet packet in my old backpack named Priligy*. That was the medicine I was given by the pharmacist for asthma. He gave me a premature ejaculation drug for asthma. So i got curious & went through the overdose symptoms. I qualified for every symptom with a hallmark symptom of SSRI side effect- Sexual dysfunction (Small Penis). Some people on the internet said that SSRI side effects or withdrawal syndrome won't last long more than 6 months. But I've seen people experiencing sexual & cognitive decline like me for many years. So I took 6mg of ropinirole at a night as it is used to overcome the extra pyramidal side effects of antidepressants. After waking up in the morning I was a new man. My symptoms improved like 70% overnight. It's been three days since I took ropinirole but I didn't take any other drug in-between. My symptoms seem to be waxing & waning. Sometimes it get better while sometimes it decreases although at any point I feel better not like the terrible times I had. My tremors & muscle rigidity gets better & decreases. My penis grows & shrinks. Same for cognition. I don't know when this cycle stops. I wish my symptoms go away permanently. I have few questions.

1. What am I experiencing? Withdrawal effects or overdose symptoms?

2. Is there any effective way to come out of this permanently & become a normal man because I have suffered enough & I have my parents to look upon.

3. Are there anyone with similar stories in terms of long time effects or symptoms? If so how did you treat?

4. Doctors at India are terrible so what would you suggest me to say them during my next visit?

Please take time to share your thoughts.

* PRILIGY, containing the active ingredient dapoxetine, is a type of drug called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and belongs to a group of drugs known as other urologicals. PRILIGY increases your time to ejaculation

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title, drug info
  • ChessieCat changed the title to NickolasBumbee: dapoxetine / Priligy - need some advice
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Welcome, Nick.

As this is a site for tapering psychiatric drugs, I'm not sure if we can help you. Nobody here knows anything about asthma medication and how an overdose might affect you. It's entirely possible the symptoms are similar to psychiatric drug withdrawal because an overdose might upset your nervous system similarly.

What we see is that if people don't take additional drugs or do anything to further upset their nervous systems, they very slowly recover.

We don't know anything about intermittent dosing with ropinirole. There are Web forums to discuss post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD), where people experiment with drug treatments, and others to discuss drug experimentation in general. You might find participating there to be more productive.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Titled:  Life ruined by Dapoxetine

Hello. I'm 25.

I took totally 4 doses of Dapoxetine(Priligy) around 8 years ago. 3 doses were of single pill/each doss but the last dose contained overdose of 6 pills. It was fine until few days since the last dose & then the horror started. I started getting severe sweating, insomnia, resting tremors & the worst of all is the Cognitive impairment. I could barely read or understand something. I couldn't pronounce words with extreme verbal Memory deficiency. 8 years after I'm now with only small improvements. I lost my degree, relationships, always bedbound without a job to get. I'm very depressed right now looking the way my life has turned up. I really want the help of you guys. Considering the drug that I took called Dapoxetine what should I do to come out of this terrible situation? Any tapering strategy, any drugs, any supplements? I want my life back. I request all the amazing people here to help my life getting back.

Thank you!!!

Edited by manymoretodays
merged 2nd intro topic with 1st, title added
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nik,

And welcome back.  I found your first introduction, and added your recent post to it.  Just one introduction per member is our rule.

Has anything improved?  You note small improvements......what have they been?

Are you taking any drugs/medications now?

Dapoxetine is a SSRI, apparently used for PE. 

And Nik, we have had some other members, with WD(withdrawal) after only a few pills, like you.  Just so you know you are not completely alone in having experienced symptoms.

All for now.  I don't know if you have gotten around the site much, but do feel free to take a look around, at some of the information in our various forums.  I'd recommend the Symptoms and Self Care forum!  I just wanted to get you merged up(your 2 introductions combined), for now.

L, P, H, and G,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Nik, welcome from me too.

As manymoretodays said, we have other members who suffered what we call an adverse reaction to a psychiatric drug after taking it only a few times.  So you have a better understanding of what happened, please read the following:

"I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had an Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a good number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  Yet they are suffering very acute symptoms.  This is an Adverse Reaction, acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos."

Time is the only cure.  I know eight years is a long time, and we can't predict how much longer it will take for you to heal, but our experience has been that we all do heal..  The fact that you've noticed some small improvements, which is a very good sign.  

You mentioned supplements.  We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycerinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

We recommend non-drug coping skills to help deal with symptoms of adverse reaction.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which you thing might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 9:55 PM, Gridley said:

Nik, welcome from me too.

As manymoretodays said, we have other members who suffered what we call an adverse reaction to a psychiatric drug after taking it only a few times.  So you have a better understanding of what happened, please read the following:

"I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had an Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a good number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  Yet they are suffering very acute symptoms.  This is an Adverse Reaction, acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos."

Time is the only cure.  I know eight years is a long time, and we can't predict how much longer it will take for you to heal, but our experience has been that we all do heal..  The fact that you've noticed some small improvements, which is a very good sign.  

You mentioned supplements.  We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycerinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

We recommend non-drug coping skills to help deal with symptoms of adverse reaction.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which you thing might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Could I try to reinstate the drug now & see if it works because my pDoc have me another SSRI called Fluvoxamine two years ago & it seemed to alleviate 50% of my symptoms which I took it for 1 year straight. It has left some permanent level of relief too. I see members having successful reinstatement after 3 years. Have you seen any successful reinstatement after 5 years?

Hello. I did some doses of Dapoxetine (Priligy) when I was 18. 2 months later I landed nightmare which I wish no one should experience. Fast forward I'm 26 now. No job, bedridden because of severe working memory impairment.

Could I now reinstate the Drug after 8 years? How possibly it will work? Have there been any successful reinstatement cases so many years after the crash?

I need my life back. I was a super intelligent guy pre SSRI. Now I can barely understand any sentences. I don't suffer anhedonia though but huge Cognitive & energy problems.

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from tapering to introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, NickolasBumbee said:

Could I try to reinstate the drug now & see if it works because my pDoc have me another SSRI called Fluvoxamine two years ago & it seemed to alleviate 50% of my symptoms which I took it for 1 year straight. It has left some permanent level of relief too. I see members having successful reinstatement after 3 years. Have you seen any successful reinstatement after 5 years?

What drug are you talking about reinstating?  Is it the fluvoxamine?  Have you been off it one year?  Why are you asking about reinstating after 5 years--is there a drug you were taking 5 years ago that you want to reinstate?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

11 minutes ago, Gridley said:

What drug are you talking about reinstating?  Is it the fluvoxamine?  Have you been off it one year?  Why are you asking about reinstating after 5 years--is there a drug you were taking 5 years ago that you want to reinstate?

The drug which gave me this condition before 8 years is Dapoxetine. I tried Fluvoxamine in-between. I'm talking about reinstatement of Dapoxetine. Any advice about reinstatement after 8 years from your side?

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, NickolasBumbee said:

reinstatement of Dapoxetine

As I recall you had an adverse reaction to it.  If that's the case, I definitely wouldn't reinstate.  Your body doesn't like it.

I just don't know about reinstating 8 years out.  There's really no way to tell what it'll do, but I don't think it's a good idea.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.