Rozon1: Effexor withdrawals

Rozon1

On Effexor for two years. Cold turkeyed once, had terrible withdrawals so reinstated. Once I reinstated, I had even worse withdrawls but eventually stabilized. I switched to extended release effexor and tapered with beads. Got to 75% and felt worse. Reinstated before starting my second taper. Got to 50% but was tired all of the time. Switched back to the instant release since that’s what always worked for me. Finally quit cold turkey two months ago and am dealing with terrible withdrawls. Lack of pleasure, constipation and terrible anxiety. Not sure what to do. Since I’ve quit I’m not nearly as tired but I think me quitting so early brought on this constipation and inability to release my bladder. 

Debating on reinstating back to the 50% dosage I was on or maybe less to see if that helps. Or maybe trying it’s cousin drug?

Example:

2018 - Started Effexor 37.5 in Janurary of 2018
2019 January, 2nd  - Cold Turkeyed from Effexor for 3 days. Reinstated on the third day, then stabilized(It took 3 months to stabilize)

2019 June - I switched from Effexor instant release to Extended Release 37.5 for better tapering. I tapered to 50% in 4 weeks before reinstating my dosage back to 37.5(due to withdrawls). I waited 2 months to stabilize but never did at 37.5

2019 September - continued to taper in to 25% on extended release

2019 October - continued to taper to half of the beads(18.75mg)... WIthdrawls were so bad I tried switching back to the instant release at the same dosage(18.75mg)

2019 November 28th - Discontinued effexor at 18.75 without anymore tapering.

2020 January - Just can't sleep, have constipation, low libido and still lack of full emotion

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Rozon1.

It is clearer for us to deal in mg doses rather than percentages.  What was your original dose of XR?  When you say 75% and 50%, what doses in mg?  What dose of instant release did you switch to and at what dose did you cold turkey two months ago?

Finally, at what rate did you did you taper?

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Effexor.

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  In the two months you've been off the drug, your system has made accommodations to being without the drug, and going to the the 50% mark would be too high.  Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Once you've answered my questions, we can suggest a reinstatement dose.  Please do not reinstate without letting us suggest a reinstatement dose.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Then, once you've stabilized, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by manymoretodays
removed excess white space

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

thanks for responding! I was on 37.5 mg instant release. I switched over to extended release due to the easier tapering method. I never felt right on the extended rrlease(brand I guess?) but I tapered down to 18mg within two weeks. I got extremely tired so I reinstated back to 37.5 on the extended. I waited 3 months to stabilize but never did on the extended release. So I started my tapering journey, eager to get off.. I got back down to 18mg on the beads but couldn’t shake the overwhelming feeling of being tired and zombie like. So I switched back to the tablet at 18mg in hopes I was going to feel better since I always have on the tablet. Things got worse and worse so about two months ago, I quit cold turkey. Now my anxiety is super high. I have constipation, bladder issues and over all pleasure issues. As time goes on, I constantly question if I should reinstate or continue through this. 

Example:

2019 January, 2nd  - Cold Turkeyed from Effexor for 3 days. Reinstated on the third day, then stabilized(It took 3 months to stabilize)

2019 June - I switched from Effexor instant release to Extended Release 37.5 for better tapering. I tapered to 50% in 4 weeks before reinstating my dosage back to 37.5(due to withdrawls). I waited 2 months to stabilize but never did at 37.5

2019 October - continued to taper to half of the beads(18.75mg)... WIthdrawls were so bad I tried switching back to the instant release at the same dosage(18.75mg)

2020 January - Just can't sleep, have constipation, low libido and still lack of full emotion

• Moderator Emeritus
44 minutes ago, Rozon1 said:

As time goes on, I constantly question if I should reinstate or continue through this. 

That's always a tough decision.

It's likely you're suffering withdrawal from both the earlier fast taper and the cold turkey.  

If you decide to reinstate, I'd suggest starting low with 1mg.  I know that sounds very low, but these drugs are strong and I'd rather err on the side of caution.  If  1mg doesn't work, you can slowly go up.  The instructions for getting this low nonstandard dose are in the link I sent you previously about tapering effexor.  Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)  It's basically a choice between making a liquid from the immediate release tablet or cutting the tablet and weighing.  

It will take about a week for the reinstated dose  to get to steady-state in your bloodstream; the effect should get stronger during that time.

If 1mg is enough, it still may take some weeks or months for your nervous system to settle down. You probably will continue to have waves and windows, but symptoms won't be as intense. 

If you cut the immediate release tablets, you'll need a digital scale.  Many members use the AWS Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon.

Using a digital scale to measure doses

The GEMINI-20 Scale

There are also instructions in the link on making a liquid if you want to use that method.

It's a good idea to keep daily notes on paper to track how the reinstatement is working.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for responding. Do you recommend I should reinstate? Or do you think I ride out with withdrawl? I feel no improvement after two months and really don’t see how it’s gunna get any better without properly tapering from the medication. 

also, what about reinstating to desvenlafaxine? Like a cousin medication?

Example:

Hey guys just checking back in. I had severe panic attacks for 3 days that seem better. It was terrible. I still am constipated with no libido. I can’t really fall asleep either. Which makes everything worse. I have been able to cry more now which is cool. It’s been 2 months and 1 week. I really am afraid to reinstate at the risk of making everything worse and these months not worth it. When I was on it I was just tired all of the time and losing hair.(still am). But at least I could have bowel movements more than once a week.  Will I eventually heal? Should I risk going back on it?

Example:

On 1/24/2020 at 10:15 AM, Rozon1 said:

On Effexor for two years. Cold turkeyed once, had terrible withdrawals so reinstated. Once I reinstated, I had even worse withdrawls but eventually stabilized. I switched to extended release effexor and tapered with beads. Got to 75% and felt worse. Reinstated before starting my second taper. Got to 50% but was tired all of the time. Switched back to the instant release since that’s what always worked for me. Finally quit cold turkey two months ago and am dealing with terrible withdrawls. Lack of pleasure, constipation and terrible anxiety. Not sure what to do. Since I’ve quit I’m not nearly as tired but I think me quitting so early brought on this constipation and inability to release my bladder. 

Debating on reinstating back to the 50% dosage I was on or maybe less to see if that helps. Or maybe trying it’s cousin drug?

If anyone sees this I could use words of encouragement. Going to get laxatives for constipation. Hopefully I can sleep tonight 

Example:

• Mentor

I know the feeling. I was around 1 month off after a fast taper of 3 months when I came here. I did not reinstate and pushed through..... but wow was it hard, hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I am now almost 1 year off and cannot believe the improvements! I made big changes to my nutrition as I know that helped immensely as well! You are in great hands here and will get through it! It does get better. Don’t do aggressive changes your body needs to stabilize. But the choice is your to reinstate or not.  

Remember everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

2 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

I know the feeling. I was around 1 month off after a fast taper of 3 months when I came here. I did not reinstate and pushed through..... but wow was it hard, hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I am now almost 1 year off and cannot believe the improvements! I made big changes to my nutrition as I know that helped immensely as well! You are in great hands here and will get through it! It does get better. Don’t do aggressive changes your body needs to stabilize. But the choice is your to reinstate or not.  

Remember everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed! 

thanks for the words of encouragement! Did you have trouble sleeping? Constipation? dry mouth? Any of that? I really appreciate that!  how long did your hardcore WD's last for?

Example:

• Mentor

Yes, sleep was awful. I took melatonin to get sleep during the hard times..... much higher than what people recommend. I was at 10 mg a night. Dry mouth was a huge thing for a few months. It hasn’t not come back since then. I remember drinking 1500 glasses of water in 3 month during acute withdrawal. 

Yes, the constipation and then I would get diarrhea. These drugs wreak havoc on the GI tract. I changed my nutrition and that helped a lot. 

I would say around 5-7 months. I still get waves but absolutely no where near what they were... which I am so thankful for. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR replying! I really appreciate it! Like, when you tried to sleep, was your brain just on and you couldn't even come close to sleep? I've gone 3 days with little to NO sleep. It's really affecting me. I've been relying on xanax. It seems like it's the only thing that will help me. What drug were you on? 

Example:

39 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Yes, sleep was awful. I took melatonin to get sleep during the hard times..... much higher than what people recommend. I was at 10 mg a night. Dry mouth was a huge thing for a few months. It hasn’t not come back since then. I remember drinking 1500 glasses of water in 3 month during acute withdrawal. 

Yes, the constipation and then I would get diarrhea. These drugs wreak havoc on the GI tract. I changed my nutrition and that helped a lot. 

I would say around 5-7 months. I still get waves but absolutely no where near what they were... which I am so thankful for. 

Sorry not sure if I have to quote this to show I’m replying to you. The forum is kinda new to me. Thank you so much for your response! It’s giving me hope I otherwise didn’t have. I’m 2 months and one week in. Was seriously considering reinstating but I hope to see windows sooner than later! 

Example:

• Mentor
10 hours ago, Rozon1 said:

Sorry not sure if I have to quote this to show I’m replying to you. The forum is kinda new to me. Thank you so much for your response! It’s giving me hope I otherwise didn’t have. I’m 2 months and one week in. Was seriously considering reinstating but I hope to see windows sooner than later! 

No worries, quoting works or you can do @Rozon1 (@ the person’s username) to get their attention. Yes, I was all amped up and could not sleep at night this is the reason I had to take melatonin. I considered reinstating as it was extremely hard for a long 5-7 month span. I was advice not to as I was 6 months off.  Everyone is different though. 

All the best to you. Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed! 

@Cocopuffz17 it took you 5-7 months to get sleep again??

Example:

• Mentor
21 minutes ago, Rozon1 said:

@Cocopuffz17 it took you 5-7 months to get sleep again??

Sleep wasn’t that bad for me. I had nights I knew I wouldn’t fall asleep for hours so I took melatonin. The 5-7 was mainly fatigue/headaches/tinnitus but they have all reduced dramatically in the time since then. 

I got you. Yea I can’t sleep at all without Xanax. I think I’m gunna reinstate at 1mg effexor. But I want someone to tell me to wait it out. Just a little hope! 

Example:

• Mentor
14 minutes ago, Rozon1 said:

I got you. Yea I can’t sleep at all without Xanax. I think I’m gunna reinstate at 1mg effexor. But I want someone to tell me to wait it out. Just a little hope! 

The choice is yours. I chose to stick it out, only because I read stories of people who had gone through it and were now healed. I don’t know which path would of been easier for me. But I know where I am at now is x150000 better than where I was before. 

@Cocopuffz17 I’m crying right now man. I don’t know what to do. It’s been a solid two months of constipation and a solid week of no sleep. I can’t imagine it getting better by itself? I’m so ******* scared man 

Example:

Guys I’m so sorry for posting so much I just don’t know what to do. Do I go back to 1mg after 2 months and one week off to see if that helps? What if it does, do I stabilize on it then taper down?  What do I do? Or do I just wait it out and “hope” it gets better. I still barely having any emotions. It’s like my brain doesn’t know it’s off the drug. My hair is still coming out and nothing has changed almost. Am I for sure still going through withdrawls? 

Example:

@Gridley okay what if I reinstate at 1mg and I feel good for a week? Do I continue to go up or do I stabilize and then taper from that if my end goal is to be off anti depressants

Example:

Will anyone guide me here? I’m not sure if I’m gunna get better and it’s been two months. Do I reinstate at 1mg??

Example:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rozon1,

Yes, I think if you do want to reinstate at this point, if I were you, I would stick with just 1 mg of the immediate acting Effexor. 

Did you get a chance to read through some of the links that Gridley gave you last week?  I quoted a partial of one of the posts to you below, but there is a lot more above for you to review.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:45 AM, Gridley said:

It's likely you're suffering withdrawal from both the earlier fast taper and the cold turkey.  

If you decide to reinstate, I'd suggest starting low with 1mg.  I know that sounds very low, but these drugs are strong and I'd rather err on the side of caution.  If  1mg doesn't work, you can slowly go up.  The instructions for getting this low nonstandard dose are in the link I sent you previously about tapering effexor.  Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)  It's basically a choice between making a liquid from the immediate release tablet or cutting the tablet and weighing.  

It will take about a week for the reinstated dose  to get to steady-state in your bloodstream; the effect should get stronger during that time.

If 1mg is enough, it still may take some weeks or months for your nervous system to settle down. You probably will continue to have waves and windows, but symptoms won't be as intense. 

What kind of symptoms are you concerned with.  I see constipation, and anxiety I presume around this, as well as other symptoms that you attribute to WD.  What symptoms are you having?

9 hours ago, Rozon1 said:

Guys I’m so sorry for posting so much I just don’t know what to do. Do I go back to 1mg after 2 months and one week off to see if that helps? What if it does, do I stabilize on it then taper down?  What do I do? Or do I just wait it out and “hope” it gets better. I still barely having any emotions. It’s like my brain doesn’t know it’s off the drug. My hair is still coming out and nothing has changed almost. Am I for sure still going through withdrawls? 

I think if it was me, I might give a reinstatement a try, after just 2 months off.  It may not take all the WD symptoms away but it may lessen the intensity. 

Rozon, could you, Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help the moderators.   And let us know if you have questions around reinstatement, or other, that are not answered in the links that give you lot's of information here.

Just a busy time, lately around here.......no one is ignoring you.  And keep us updated with what you decide.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodays THANK YOU for answering. My symptoms are inability to fall asleep without the assistance of xanax. I just can't sleep. My mind doesn't shut off. That's my biggest concern right now. I still have low libido(could be caused by my depression from all of this), constipation and for a few days I had inner restlesness where I couldn't stay still but that's gone now. 

I know it's busy and i'm so sorry. I just don't know if I should reinstate and further my symptoms or make them worse. my CNS is healing and what if I mess it up even more? I'm so scared guys, I really am. I have a beautiful daughter and I have to make it for her. Am I gunna be better in 6 months from now or am I gunna still be screwed?

also I know I said it before but THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR answering me... It helps me a lot to calm down

Example:

• Moderator Emeritus

Rozon1,

You'll improve with time.  We all do!  Unfortunately it's not all linear, or in an upward healing trajectory.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

9 hours ago, Rozon1 said:

My symptoms are inability to fall asleep without the assistance of xanax.

How long you have you been taking xanax, and how much are you taking and when?  Xanax(alprazolam) is one of the short acting benzo's......and so I'm now wondering if you are starting to have some rebound type anxiety later in day, if you are only taking the Xanax at bedtime.  By rebound I just mean that when your bedtime Xanax wears off the next day, you may be getting thrown back into high anxiety again.   If you could give us that information, I can ask @Shep to take a look too.  Even intermittent usage, when used for 2 weeks or more, can result in dependency on benzos.  Unfortunate, but this might be causing some further type of WD symptoms now, if this is the case and needs management.

Would you add the dates of this to your signature?  Edit or update Signature Account Setting

Make sure you hit the save button when you are done.

See: Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Lot's of good sleep tips and ideas ^.

Rozon1, you've got to take some initiative to make decisions now.  What do you think about reinstatement now?  Have you read the links?  We recommend a low dose reinstatement, so that we can see how you tolerate it.  If you get worse, you quit.  Simple as that.  If it helps somewhat even, then you stay with it.  You do need to have the ability to stay with it, and take notes(take a look at that link please), and give it a good go or try for about 4-7 days without panicking.

withdrawal-causing-intrusive-or-repetitive-thoughts-rumination-and-increased panic?

Dealing with emotional spirals

the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system

Sounds like WD, Rozon1.  One of perhaps the more difficult things in life you've had to go through.  You are among friends here who "get it". 

And okay, have a good day.  Best that you can.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
links for coping, more on reinstatement, notes link, additional on benzo

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodays last night was the first night I could sleep without the assistance of any medication. I smoked a little weed but I slept naturally. I’ve only tklaken Xanax for 3 days as I didn’t want to get addicted. I’m hoping I can repeat the same sleep tonight! Thank you so much for responding. I feel if I can continue to get sleep without getting too much anxiety you think I should stick it out assuming I can. 

Example:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rozon11,

How's the sleep gone since then? 

It may not be a great idea to continue with the "weed" or any other more recreational substances.  I mean you are taking a big risk, that it may have a negative effect on your recovery.  I certainly can't endorse it's use for withdrawal symptoms.  And hey, maybe you read my introduction........I wound up using some, and then did have a really hard time quitting it.  I'm sure it contributed to my further WD some, but my own symptoms were so intense for awhile......due to a lot of poor planning and choices on my part.  We are each really unique and individual though......so......what applies to me, may not apply to you, etc.  I'm a good example of "don't do what I did" in many ways........referring to some of my WD history and all.  B)

I'll just refer you to our topic here:  Cannabis, marijuana, hashish, THC, and CBD or Hemp oil

We don't endorse it's use in other words(not enough research or data, on even the CBD oil and/or various forms that ARE legal for medicinal purposes)   The only 2 supplements we recommend are:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration

@manymoretodays how are you doing today? I could use some uplifting news. I’ve been able to sleep the past two days without weed but it’s not the greatest sleep. Like I’m having nightmares and waking up 3-4 times a night. But it’s sleep without medication assistance. Do you think I’m going through withdrawls? The biggest thing for me is the constipatipn and still feel somewhat restless(not like I wasa week ago). I think me being constipated has a lot to do with it. I can actually yawn now which I wasn’t able to do a month ago. Just a bunch of weird things going on with my body and I’m scared it’s going to get worse. I really don’t want to reinstate because I fear it may worsen things to a very large degree. But what if it makes it easier? I could use some words of encouragement. How are you? Also thanks for responding. 

Example:

• Administrator

Hello, Rozon. It appears you are going through The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization, with some better nights.

It does sound like you have withdrawal syndrome from going off Effexor.

There may be some small things you can do to improve your sleep. What is your sleep schedule? See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Are you drinking lots of water? That can help with constipation.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Magnesium citrate can help constipation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

okay Guys. This is kind of an emergency. I’ll give some updates. I’ve been feeling on and off a feeling of overwhelming anxiety(terror). Sleep has improved until today when I woke up with major anxiety after only an hour of sleep. The past night got 7+ hours. I’ve also developed anhdeonia. Suicidal thoughts do seem attractive. So weird to say that out loud. I’m honestly terrified. I thought things were slightly improving but looks like they’re not. Don’t worry I don’t plan on killing my self but it’s hard not to think that way. Us humans aren’t supposed to live like this. I don’t know how much more I can do it. I toss the idea of reinstating on a low dose of Effexor again but realize I’ll find myself in the same situation again trying to get off of it. I guess I don’t see the benefit other than possibly reducing withdrawls. That and I feel like it’ll do more harm than good to my CNS. If anyone has some words of encouragement, I could use them. I’m internally freaking the **** out and I’m scared things won’t improve (much) in the coming months. I’ve considered going onto another ssri worse case scenario since my body is sensitive to Effexor at this point but I don’t know if that’s wise. It’s better than have suicidal thoughts and lack of sleep and emotion though. 

maybe I’ll get less and less problems in the coming months? Maybe in 6 months I’ll look back and be like “I survived this “.. damnit man this is all too tough for me 

Example:

• Mentor

Hey, you need to relax. This is caused by WDs. I went through the exact same thing. Worrying and over blowing things makes it way worse. It will get better. But the reinstatement is your choice. When I was toying with the idea I was around 6 months off. I did not reinstate and feel way better now. 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed! 

@Cocopuffz17 alright!!! I’ll do my best. It’s just some tough stuff right now!!! I’m doing my best. It’s so hard. I want to break down and cry and just end it but I keep getting positive encouragement from you guys. I’m going to do my best. I keep thinking about reinstating but I just don’t see how that’s gunna help me. Just mask my symptoms again. How are you feeling right now coco?? How’s your sleep ?? Also was your anxiety a lot to deal with that made it hard on you?

Example:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rozon,

Might be some WD from the weed right now too.  Do keep that in mind.  And I am doing well.  Big old blizzard yesterday here and today.......a big maybe on getting up on the mountain to ski for a few hours later today.  A lot of the snow was more in the valleys this time, not as much on the slopes.  Yet......nature calls.  B) And......the sun is out!!!  So I'll see.  Lot's of other stuff to get too as well.  2020 sure came on quickly.

As far as the reinstatement goes.  Yes, you don't know for sure if it's going to help much or not now.  One option,  you try the mini-reinstatement.   You are 2 months out now, and it might help.  If it doesn't, after a good try......then you quit.  And it might be that you hit a window real soon.......as well as find ways to self soothe, find hope, self care to the maximum.  I honestly don't think that you'll do more harm by trying it. 

Yet still.....it's up to you if you feel like you can do it, make and measure the small dosage needed, and then keep notes, not panic.....follow through with it all.  So that's an important factor too.  If you can't , well, you just can't.

Me, I wished I was aware, with my Lexapro WD.......of all this information sooner.  As I might have reinstated.  By the time I got here I was more than 6 months out AND on 2 other meds/drugs.......so, a different story really from yours.

Your sleep was good.  On some nights.   And sometimes the early waking with anhedonia and dark thoughts CAN be the cortisol effect:

Waking with panic or anxiety-managing the morning cortisol spike

On 3/13/2011 at 8:27 PM, Altostrata said:

This seems to be a very common symptom of withdrawal syndrome. Many people report waking up with a surge of panic or anxiety, or a feeling of anxiety early in the morning. A lot of times, people are waking around 4:30 a.m. or closer to dawn. The first glimmers of morning light signal the nervous system to start the morning cycle with a jump in cortisol. At normal levels, cortisol gives you energy. At elevated levels, cortisol gives you a feeling of unease, anxiety, panic, or depression. When you have withdrawal syndrome, your system is on "high alert" all the time. The normal morning peak of cortisol gets exaggerated and what you would normally feel as "wake up" becomes a surge of panic, anxiety, or dread in the early morning.

Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

And welcome again, Rozon1, to this club of ours.......that I am sure none of us really wanted to join in the first place.  Many like you now, going through the same stuff.  Do hang on and hang in and keep us updated.  ❤️

If I could do it, then you can do it Rozon1.......I mean get well, recover, heal........it isn't about strength, it's something else......and time, patience, faith in healing.  Think how nice it will be when you get even a bit better.....and it is for me, much better........oh so much better.  Life is grand, in other words.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

@manymoretodays I am. you really dont think it'll mess with my CNS that much reinstating at a low dosage? These 2 months of work? I guess I have PTSD of reinstating in the past at too much MG and it screwed me. I'm scared to do it again to be honest.  Thank you for the positive encouragement! I'm trying my best EVERYDAY to survive this! I haven't smoked in a while since the last time I told you. I'm so ******* cold all the time too, for no reason. I hate this. It seems the anxiety has been put at bay for a bit, thankfully. How are you feeling today? 

Example:

• Mentor

Rozon, I’m sorry you are going through this. I can relate so much to how you’ve described the anxiety, terror, doom and gloom, etc.. I went through this back in July when I Ct’d off Effexor 37.5mg. per my dr’s advice.  It’s not fun at all. In retrospect, I wish I would have found this site so that I could have realized that this was normal withdrawal syndrome, that I was not going crazy, and that, in time, my brain/body will heal.  There is hope. You are strong and can get through this, regardless of whether you reinstate a very small amount or not. You can tell from my signature that this is what I’ve just started doing. I know those waves of awful days are around the corner. But, I’m reading and bookmarking the great info on this site from members who have been through it all, so that I have an arsenal ready when I need it.

We are all much stronger than we know. Those desperate moments want to destroy our hope and confidence. That’s when you take it one minute, one hour at a time. Remind yourself that your brain is healing AT THIS VERY MOMENT !! That is good news to hang on to!

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

@FindRest how long did you wait before you reinstated? Did you reinstate fully? or partially? Would you of weathered the storm if you knew they were WD's?

Example:

• Mentor

@Rozon1 Take a look at my signature. In a nutshell, my doc convinced me my depression was back and sent me on a whirlpool of rapidly starting/stopping different meds. This led to Pristiq in Oct. It was nasty and, among other things, caused dangerous problems w my blood pressure. I ct’d Pristiq on Feb 1, 2020, and switched back to a very small dose, 10 beads, of my original Effexor XR. It has been 6 months since my ct off Effexor. You can read my introduction thread to get a better understanding of my process. 

30 minutes ago, Rozon1 said:

Would you of weathered the storm if you knew they were WD's?

No. Since I had ct’d, I think I would have reinstated whatever VERY SMALL AMOUNT a mod here would have suggested. I was a mess and needed a little bit of help to stabilize my system. Then, once I was stable for a long time, I would try again. That is what I would have done if I could do it all over again. But, that ship has sailed and I am where I am now. Today, day 4 of my reinstatement, I feel better than I have for months. Yes, I know it will still get bumpy and probably downright awful at times, but, I take comfort in knowing my brain is slowly healing.

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate