Stubborn: Introduction

Stubborn

I have been on SSRIs since I was fifteen. I am not sure if I am experiencing withdrawal, complications from a health issue that needs to be treated, anxiety resulting in physical problems, or a new chronic illness. When I increased to 60 mg, I had increased dizziness and fainting episodes. The fainting and dizziness episodes had started in roughly 2015 due to Prozac and Valium. I stopped taking the Valium, but still had frequent dizziness and fainting episodes. I decreased my dose from 60 mg to 40 in late July. I started a fast tapering plan. The idea was to go down 10 mg a week. At 30 mg I noticed exhaustion, lightheadedness, increased fainting, a daily headache, and motion sensitivity. Towards the end of the week I felt better so I went down to 20 mg of Prozac. I have been stuck at that level since the middle of August 2019.

2010ish Prozac started idr my initial dose.

2014- May 2019 40 mg Prozac.

2015-2016ish hospitalized for a week due to weird med (not Prozac) reaction. Fainting and dizziness start.

Late May or Early Jun 2019- 60 mg Prozac. 

Late July 2019: Go back down to 40 mg. 

Week of July 23rd 2019- Fast Taper starts. 30 mg Prozac. 

Aug 2019: Go down to 20 mg.

Mid Aug 2019 - Feb 2020 : Stayed at 20 mg. 

Feb 2020: Prozac 20 mg, hydroxyzine visitieral 25 mg 1-2 a day.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Stubborn: Introduction

The current Psychiatrist approved plan is to try Hydroxyzine Visitiral 25 mg twice a day. She doesn't think I am experiencing withdrawal because withdrawal is supposed to fade within 4 weeks. I was diagnosed with PTSD, she suggested anxiety and PTSD could create some of my symptoms. I could understand PTSD having a role in fainting but a lot of my episodes had connections to food, sleep, getting up fast, or warm water. This leads me to believe this isn't completely from PTSD. I had also in the past dealt with headache and found managing my sleep, and food in addition to stress lead to a dramatic reduction in headaches.

My light-headed episodes and fainting had started before titrating Prozac, the titration though seemed to make them worse. I spend most of my time lightheaded. It makes it hard to figure out when to exercise. It also impacts my memory and concentration. I am trying to find ways to manage the lightheadedness and fainting. I may start on a medication later this year. I know y'all aren't doctors. I am seeing doctors about the chronic health issues I described. On my end I am trying to use diet, exercise, and mindfulness to manage all of this.

2010ish Prozac started idr my initial dose.

2014- May 2019 40 mg Prozac.

2015-2016ish hospitalized for a week due to weird med (not Prozac) reaction. Fainting and dizziness start.

Late May or Early Jun 2019- 60 mg Prozac. 

Late July 2019: Go back down to 40 mg. 

Week of July 23rd 2019- Fast Taper starts. 30 mg Prozac. 

Aug 2019: Go down to 20 mg.

Mid Aug 2019 - Feb 2020 : Stayed at 20 mg. 

Feb 2020: Prozac 20 mg, hydroxyzine visitieral 25 mg 1-2 a day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stubborn and welcome aboard, @Stubborn

And that's typical of some doctors.  Very unfortunate.  That do not believe that WD(withdrawal) lasts beyond 4 weeks.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

*Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

^ is our more harm reduction approach to tapering, and in the first post in that topic, you'll find more, especially the Meyer's article, that you may want to share with your doctor.  At your own discretion of course, some are not open to their patient input, others are.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, Stubborn said:

I stopped taking the Valium, but still had frequent dizziness and fainting episodes.

When did you stop the Valium and how?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

The only 2 supplements that we endorse for WD syndrome are:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

On 3/4/2020 at 8:26 PM, Stubborn said:

The current Psychiatrist approved plan is to try Hydroxyzine Visitiral 25 mg twice a day.

Did you start the Vistaril, Stubborn?

Here is what we have on Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia

Vistaril/hydroxyzine is an antihistamine.

I am thinking that you are in WD.  It may have started with the Valium discontination, and then continued, or was added to, with the more rapid Prozac tapering.  And I agree with you just HOLDING right now, with your current dose of 20mg of Prozac.  While we get to know you.  It's probably not your original condition, rather WD symptoms that you are experiencing now.  I've got more links I can add, and even books that you could look at.  And happy to give you more at a later date.  I don't want to totally overwhelm you at the start.  And look around the site some more too.  So much is here.

Good job too, with the non-drug coping.  We have a whole forum devoted to WD symptoms called Symptoms and Self Care.  You'll see it by scrolling down on the main page or Home page.

Welcome again.  This is your introduction page, you have now introduced yourself to the community.  Do post right here, with any questions around your particular case.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
added an @ notification for member

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing