Leila: can I see again the stars?

Leila

• Mentor

@Leilastay strong. It is the only way on this unfortunate journey. We will make it, however long it takes 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hello @Leila,

One year off! You are so brave! 

I am so sorry to read your suffering. I feel every word you've written and I can feel your pain. But you have come so far... 

It is a good thing that your therapist believe in WD. I've talked to like 5 of them and they did not believe it. 

Wish you better days.

Hugs,

Almu.

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

Hi Leila! Looks like we have our SI anniversaries pretty close together. I haven't read your whole thread yet, but I did just read your 1 year post and it sounds very familiar!  I'm struck by how well you've educated yourself on all this and the sense of determination you have in spite of all the ongoing issues. This strongly suggests to me you're going to wrestle this thing to the ground and recover more and more soon! I like that you use red, yellow and green to describe your days! I do that too!

It is frustrating that, after a year, the symptoms can still be so strong. I find it extremely confusing, as it feels for me that the symptoms have actually changed a fair bit, and in some ways are worse. Is that your experience? For example, at first I had these intense, extremely uncomfortable hot flashes during the day, but they seemed mostly physical and didn't hurt me psychologically. Now I seem to have more constant heat issues, tingling blood (is that just too much adrenaline? that's what it feels like...), heart palpitations and a sense of constantly being nervous. In many ways I wish I could return to those earlier months! So I'm curious if you see the symptoms you're listing now as basically the same as over the past year (just to greater or lesser degree), or whether they have actually changed at all? 

Of course our situations are different as I made a couple attempts at reinstatement and I don't think you did (good job, BTW!). 

Finally, if it isn't too much trouble, if you have any good CBT strategies that have worked for you, or useful resources to check out, I'd love to hear about them. I cannot afford a therapist so I'm curious about what might have helped others. I'm so frustrated and confused at this point that I'm even taking my doctor's suggestion to get to a hospital more seriously, so any more tools I can get that might help me avoid that option would be a plus!

Wishing you ongoing courage and strength.

15+ years Citalopram 10mg (sometimes 20?)

2019 Citalopram 5mg. No problem reduction.

2020 Citalopram 5mg to zero. (Feb)

2020 (Feb - mid Oct): Very rare use of 0.125 or .25mg Xanax for really bad symptoms

2020 (Feb - Nov): Occasional use of "Nytol" sleep aid (an antihistamine). 

2020 Failed reinstatement: Escitalopram by accident (not Citalopram).  

-- using a scale, started July 27 0.5mg, doubled every week or so to reach 5mg by Aug 30. Too fast - terrible depression, quit.

2020 (Oct-current): Supplements:

-- Morning: Magnesium 300mg, Omega 3(483 EPA, 360 DHA +Vit E) Night: Liquid Valerian/Passiflore/Escholtzia - French organic herbal sleep aid, 1.9mg LD Melatonin 

2020 Current - new Citalopram reinstatement. (Accidentally started with Escitalopram before realizing and switching to Citalopram Oct. 30)

-- using pipette method: Oct 30, 0.25mg; Nov. 4th, 0.375; Dec. 1st 0.5mg, Dec. 21st 0.75mg Jan 19: Decide reinstatement fail: Jan 21 0.625mg, Jan 28: 0.5mg Feb 8 0mg

• Mentor
On 2/1/2021 at 10:41 PM, Amira said:

Hello @Leila Thank you for posting on my thread 💜

I am sorry you are suffering, you are now 1+ year off, you have come a long way. Hang in there. You will see more improvements soon.

I read you moved to a rural area at the beginning of the wd. I honestly have always wanted to do this. To move to a rural place in nature while healing and escape the craziness of the city. How does your area look like? More like a countryside?

Dear @Amira,

sorry for my late reply! I hope it and thank you for your encouragement! Yes, in the middle of the worst of WD on summer I decided to move to my grandparents's house in a rural place not far from the sea... The mild climate, the natural landscape, the peace of silence seemed help me to give me a few fleeting moments of equilibrium. But after one month an half I had to return to my home to decide how I could manage with my job: i live in a very big city. This change was very difficult and full of anxiety, I had to come back to my routine and face the reality. Agoraphobia was extreme and I was scared about social contacts. Now I'm content with walkings in a park near home... For many years I neglected the importance of staying tuned with nature and I know now could be an help for healing. And you? Do you live in a big city?

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

• Mentor
On 2/2/2021 at 1:41 PM, almuPA said:

Hello @Leila,

One year off! You are so brave! 

I am so sorry to read your suffering. I feel every word you've written and I can feel your pain. But you have come so far... 

It is a good thing that your therapist believe in WD. I've talked to like 5 of them and they did not believe it. 

Wish you better days.

Hugs,

Almu.

Dear @almuPA, it's always a pleasure to hear from you! Yes, maybe I found one of few therapists on Italy who believes in WD. I know how hard and disheartening is because it seems that you are visionary and this shatters your already weak certainties. I hope that one day I will have the strength to denounce this medical attitude. For now, we had to take care of our health and wellness and try to go on day by day. I hope we will see more and more better days!💗

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

• Moderator Emeritus

Your story led me to some questions; I ask you, then you can answer when you can or want without hurry!

About histamine intolerance... This a new world for me and I learnt many informations from you (and stole the suggestion of the book you post in another thread). For me the problem indicator is orticaria (that go worse in some moments like premestrual cycle or stress) and intestinal issues; it started when I took for the first time my drug (citalopram) and never left me. 

For healing it, I started with a low histamine diet (expecially avoid yeast helped me) and took vitamin C with low dose of quercetin. Had you got experience with this supplement? I read that you used also tart cherry syrup...Was it helpful? I'm considering also a dao supplement.

I'm also confused about the difference of histamine intolerance and mast cell hyperactivation... I think it's difficult understand the difference...

A last question about work. I read that you took a not paid leave from work (like me)... Did you come back when you felt better? And in that case, how you understand it was the right moment to come back? I'm scared that a come back to work can put more stress or destabilize again my SNC...

Sorry for this verbose post!

Again my congratulations to the person you are!

Leila

@Leila

I'm sorry you are suffering some of the symptoms of histamine intolerance. Quercetin is a highly recommended supplement for histamine issues. I have taken straight quercetin before and had good luck with it. The tart cherry that I use now offers a natural source of quercetin, melatonin, and is also rich in polyphenols which is helpful for healthy intestinal bacteria. I take my tart cherry in capsule form, but have also taken the syrup as well. A good probiotic can be useful. Many probiotics can actually make histamine symptoms worse, so it's good to pick out a probiotic that is recommended for those who are histamine intolerant. I use a probiotic with Bifidobacterium infantis as the sole strain. Vitamin C is really important, it's best to choose a non-fermented and non-citrus derived version. I use powdered camu camu - it is a berry from the Amazon that is rich in vitamin C. It is very tart, but I've grown accustomed to it. It is relatively inexpensive.

I've never used DAO supplementation, so I can't comment on that one.

Being confused about the difference between histamine intolerance and mast cell hyperactivation is very normal. Even the books I have read are hazy on the difference. But the best description is really this: Histamine intolerance is a problem with histamine only - either overabundance of histamine, or difficulty in processing histamine, or both. Mast Cell Activation Syndrome is when many other "mediators" (histamine is a mediator) besides histamine are released from the mast cell. As far as I know, only some very expensive diagnostic tests can differentiate between the two.

In terms of your last question about work, yes, when I began to feel better, I returned to work. I was not feeling perfect, but I was feeling better. At first I started going back to work one day or two days per week. If your workplace is flexible about that, then I would definitely suggest just trying a day or two per week when you feel that getting through a work day is possible. This way, you can see the effect the work stress has on your CNS and have some time to recover. You might be surprised. I know I was very nervous to go back to work. When I did go back, though some days were difficult, I found that I could get through better than I thought I could.

I hope some of this helps.

Hang in there my friend,

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Hello Leila,

You mentioned on my thread that you've just had a bout of what I called "kaleidoscope vision" which, as Gridley said, is a visual migraine?

I'd had migraine headaches in the past, but had never had a visual migraine before, so the first one was rather frightening. I had several more around the time of that post, but they gradually faded away and I haven't had one for months now. Hopefully it'll go the same way for you.

1999 - 2001: Paroxetine 20mg, 2003: Venlafaxine 75mg, 2003 - 2014: Escitalopram 20mg

1999 - December 2017: Lansoprazole 15mg

2014 - December 2017: Citalopram 20mg

December 2017: Mirtazapine 30mg, stopped after 4 days due to immediate bad reaction, Zopiclone 3.75mg, stopped after 2 days due to immediate bad reaction

January 2018 - April 2018: Citalopram liquid, tapering, final dose 0.1mg

December 2018 onwards: Vitamin C 1000mg

October 2021: Loratadine 10mg for 6 days (23/10 to 28/10)

Long term (for asthma): Salbutamol and Salmeterol inhalers, Salmeterol stopped March 2021 due to migraine headaches

Occasional use for headaches: Paracetamol 40mg or Ibuprofen 40mg

4th December 2021: Eustachian tube infection: Amoxicillin 500mg 3 per day for 5 days, Dexamethasone & Neomycin ear spray 3 per day for 1 week, Beclometasone nasal spray 2 per day for 2 weeks.

• Mentor

Dear @ten0275, I don't know how I can express my gratitude for your kind and precious advices! Your contribution is priceless for this community! Thanks again and all the best for you! 😘

Current supplement:

Hi Leila!

I just wanted to add a comment to the above discussion concerning returning to work after withdrawal.

Forcedly I took a year and a half break from work in order to wean myself of the drug cocktail that made me not functional. Mirtazapine lead me to the situation to not be able to concentrate enough to do a internet card payment at my worst moment. Just a simple transaction became impossible for my stuck mind.

Now I am clear of any drug and this week just returned to work, in the same company but on a total different position. This is a challenge to me as I am not clear yet if I can manage as I am supposed to do total different things from what I used to. But I rely on my old colleagues to support me and I am committed to continue with the changes I made in my life in the last year.

I am not completely recovered as I also have this histamine issue due to receptors destroyed by mirtazapine, I still have a broken sleep pattern feeling bad during each night and well during the day but this time I am determined to keep looking for something to overcome the burnout I have been through. I practically cannot say if I am  totally prepared for the return but I just let the destiny roll its pathway as I did during withdrawal. Easily some of my previous skills just naturally returned back just as I used them and the most important is that even that I feel I am not productive yet for the business I somehow start to let back the not worthy feeling that was stuck on my mind as a man in the middle of the productive age. We just have to put our body needs first and listen more carefully to its hints.

June 2018 - January 2019 Clonazepam 0.25 mg - 2 x day
January 2019 - July 2019 Duloxetine + Busiprone 60 mg 1x - 10 mg 3x
July 2019 - April 2020 Mirtazapine 30 mg for 5 months than 4 months of taper by liquid method
April 2020 - present clear of any drug

All the period also tried different meds like carbamazepine, aripiprazol, sertraline, alprazolam, lorazepam, zolpiderm and zopiclone, trazodone on different terms

but gave them up due to side effects and no results.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @Leila--I saw the picture of your kitty and had to respond😚  It brightened my day!  Arbor 

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Leila, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.