BooBoo19: SSRI discontinuaation syndrome from lexapro

BooBoo19

Hello

I have been withdrawing from lexapro that I was only on for 7 weeks in total, starting at 2.5mg to 10mg as I am so sensitive to SSRIs.  They were not working and I was feeling worse on them so decided to reduce to 5mg and then stop.  Foolishly thinking that I had only been on the for 7 weeks so I should be ok.  That was my first mistake, as soon as I dropped to 5mg within 3 days increased anxiety, within 8 days of decrease I told my husband that I was suicidal and could not manage with the severe anxiety that I was experiencing.  My appetite has gone although I did start to sleep a little better than when I was on the SSRI.  My Gp gave me 3 options, I chose the option to have diazepam to manage the anxiety.  3 weeks were given with a tapering process, i.e 3 5mg per day for 1st week, 2 5mg 2nd week and 1 5mg 3rd week.  I am 9 days in from last 5mg `lexapro and manage to take only 1 diazepam now and again.  `from reading other reviews I almost feely foolish as I am recalling struggling after only 1 week, I occasionally have slight dizziness recently but other than that the only side effect is unbearable anxiety.  I am off work currently due to this and really want to get back to work to ensure that my mind is occupied.  Couple with the side effects of lexapro and another AD, vortioxitine for 6 weeks prior.  I feel this will never end which gets your down.  I do apologise that it is only recent for me but was hoping the anxiety would start to dissipate.  Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title

Started venlafaxine December 2016. Started to wean off Effexor over 16 months period and I had no issues at all. Stopped June 2020.  Unfortunately, I was under chronic stress from 4 deaths (1 was my mother) in the family amongst other things  and sunk back down in October 2020.  Rather than accepting this was chronic stress and grief, I panicked and went to the GP.

October 2020 prescribed Vortioxetine 10mg for 1 month and then increased to 15 mg ups advice from GP on for 7 weeks in total.  Had suicidal thoughts and off the wall anxiety.  Changed to Lexapro in mid December 2020, slow titration from 2.5mg up to 10mg.  After 7 weeks again off the wall anxiety. I was advised to take 5mg for one week and stop as I want to go 'au natural'.  Last SSRI was 30 January 2021.  

I was also prescribed diazepam and Zopiclone through the 4 months of taking SSRis to 'manage' the side effects and also for the withdrawal.   I am probably withdrawing from all drugs.

Hello

I have been on lexapro from 2,5mg to 10mg for only 7 weeks  I am very sensitive to SSRi's so did it gradually.  The side effects was too much and I dropped from 10mg to 5mg for one week and then stopped on advice of a GP as the side effects were too great.  And then Wham, I have been hit with WD symptoms of extreme anxiety that is turning into depression.  I now know that I came off too quick but thought that as I had only been on 2 months I would be ok.  I do not have any other symptoms and therefore in comparison to other I feel that I should not be concerned or moaning.  However, the anxiety is intense and severe and at the beginning I had suicidal/dark thoughts, now I just think this will never end.  I would like some advice as to whether this is normal, the GP has prescribed diazepam but I only take them if absolutely desperate.  Prior to this I was on vortioxetine for 7 weeks but agin the side effects were too great.  Any help, reassurance would be gratefully received as I though each day may get better, but maybe I am inpatient.

Edited by manymoretodays
Introduction starts merged, last to first

Started venlafaxine December 2016. Started to wean off Effexor over 16 months period and I had no issues at all. Stopped June 2020.  Unfortunately, I was under chronic stress from 4 deaths (1 was my mother) in the family amongst other things  and sunk back down in October 2020.  Rather than accepting this was chronic stress and grief, I panicked and went to the GP.

October 2020 prescribed Vortioxetine 10mg for 1 month and then increased to 15 mg ups advice from GP on for 7 weeks in total.  Had suicidal thoughts and off the wall anxiety.  Changed to Lexapro in mid December 2020, slow titration from 2.5mg up to 10mg.  After 7 weeks again off the wall anxiety. I was advised to take 5mg for one week and stop as I want to go 'au natural'.  Last SSRI was 30 January 2021.  

I was also prescribed diazepam and Zopiclone through the 4 months of taking SSRis to 'manage' the side effects and also for the withdrawal.   I am probably withdrawing from all drugs.

• manymoretodays changed the title to BooBoo19: SSRI discontinuaation syndrome from lexapro
  • Administrator

Welcome, @BooBoo19

Are you still taking 5mg Lexapro or did you go off? When was your last dose?

One thing that may help is to reinstate a very low dose of Lexapro, such as 1mg. This may reduce the withdrawal symptoms without those adverse effects you felt at higher dosages.

Lexapro is available in liquid form so you can take a very small amount, or you can make you own liquid with a tablet and water. (In a pinch, you could substitute citalopram, Lexapro's milder sibling.) This topic explains how to do it Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

You would taper off by tiny amounts later. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Booboo19,

Just wanted to say welcome.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:19 AM, BooBoo19 said:

I now know that I came off too quick but thought that as I had only been on 2 months I would be ok.  I do not have any other symptoms and therefore in comparison to other I feel that I should not be concerned or moaning.  However, the anxiety is intense and severe and at the beginning I had suicidal/dark thoughts, now I just think this will never end.  I would like some advice as to whether this is normal, the GP has prescribed diazepam but I only take them if absolutely desperate.  Prior to this I was on vortioxetine for 7 weeks but agin the side effects were too great.  Any help, reassurance would be gratefully received as I though each day may get better, but maybe I am inpatient.

And make sure you found your way back to your Introduction too.

Please go easy with the diazepam, as dependency can develop in just 2 weeks of usage.

Also:

Just click on the arrow in the upper right corner, and you'll see what we'd like to see there, as well as how to do a signature.

It's the section that you'll see below others posts, and is very helpful.

And sometimes, after a succession of drugs tried and then quit, one's system does become sensitized.  So don't underplay your symptoms now.

Sending reassurance through the internets.  This won't last forever.  But let's find out more about you, if you don't mind.

Don't miss Alto's post above mine to you.  And keep us updated, ask any questions right here, on your Introduction too.

Thanks,

L, P, H, and growth,

mmt

Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for that advice, I am going to stick it out although very difficult as I see it now as poison to my body.  I am just totally surprised after 7 weeks taking Lexapro as to how I feel, the anxiety is off the wall and nothing that I have experienced to this level before. Although it is calming i.e. not wanting to end my life now, it is still very prominent coupled with the jitteriness feelings.  I have slight dizziness but no-one of the other side effects.  When I started any anti-depressant I only experience anxiety as a side effects so assume I have a delicate brain.  I have researched and researched and never want to go back on any meds like these again.

Thanks, have updated my signature, just looking for reassurance that I am not totally losing my mind and life and that such strong withdrawals can happen from a short period and low dose.  Never again!!

Hi Booboo19

Sounds to me that you were having WD from Effexor in October even though you didn't realize it. Then added Vortioxetine and Lexapro.  Now you are withdrawing from all 3.  You very recently lost your mom and others. No wonder you are having a difficult time.

You are not losing your mind you are in WD.  Read as much as you can on this site and you will find that you are not alone. 

Hang in there Booboo!!!!

Lucy

Paxil  07/1997 - 10/1998 Quit CT  

Neurontin, topamax, trazadone,  ssri AD (don't remember which one) 12/1998 - 06/1999 CT everything

Eflexor Xanax  04/2000 -08/2000 CT  ***01/2008-05/2013 on/off lexapro, lamictalseroquelsaphris, pristiq  Start/Stop CT at intervals 

Zoloft 200 mg 07/2013  WD 04/3/20 - 04/8/20 Quit

Seroquel 800 mg 07/2013 2013 *400 mg 07/2019  *** WD 04/15/2020 - 06/19/20 Quit

Ambien 10 mg 07/2013  WD 5 mg 04/29/2020, 2.5 mg 12/24/20, 1.66 mg 01/21/2021, 1.25 mg 02/16/2021 *** 02/22/2021 Quit

Xanax  2 mg prn 07/2013 - 04/23/20 Quit CT

Lamictal 150 mg 07/2013 WD 05/06/20 -06/11/2020 Quit

Propranolol 03/21/2020 - 04/20/2020 Quit CT

Hydroxyzine  12/14/2020 - 12/27/20 Quit

Allegra 24 hr 01/11/21 Flonase Nasal Spray 01/11/21

Magnesium Glycinate 100mg x3 daily D3 5000iu daily 

Hello

I am nearly 3 weeks of Lexapro, (I do not want to reinstate although I know that is the recommendation because I had poor side effects on it) not long I know in the scheme of things and you are probably wondering why I am so concerned but any advice would be gratefully received.  I have been experiencing some windows which has given me hope and inspiration but a lot more waves.  Before I started the WD symptoms I was able to run 5k 3 times per week and go sea swimming with a friend.  However, this has reduced as my strength and maybe motivation has reduced although I am trying to run 3k 5 times per week.  I am following all of the guidance on here for symptoms and self care. This is where I am asking for reassurance, I have the following symptoms and would like to know if these are from my brain and CNS recalibrating itself and that recovery is not linear.i.e I can have a really good evening and then bam I am hit with a freight train of anxiety and cannot sleep

• Jitteriness/ tremors in body and  weak jelly like legs that improve as the days goes on
  • Last night I was unable to sled and took 2 5mg Diazepam which I never do, usually mange to sleep for 6 hours quite well
  • Reduced appetite - still trying to eat healthy, i.e fresh fruit, veg and fish
  • My dizziness seems to have gone away and I do not have any other symptoms
  • Meeting and contacting friends has reduced and feels me with dread at the moment at the idea
  • Going back to work this morning seems like it will never happen, but 2 afternoons at the beginning of the week seemed a possibility but not just yet

I hope that makes sense and I do not want to be 'poor old me' but I feel much worse from the WD symptoms than going on the medication or prior to it

Many thanks in anticipation

Thanks Lucy, I am holding on tight

You will be alright. We all are going through the same situation. I m also a victim of Escitalopram.

2010 citanew 10mg ct after 6 monthes

2015 citanew 10mg ct after 5 to 6 monthes

April 2020 xanax .25 mg ct after 1 month

April 2020 citanew 10mg ct August 2020

several wd , insomnia, anxiety, fear, muscle spasm, weakness on left side.

Thanks for that, how are you doing, I like your terminology of 'victim'. I think you are ahead of me now.  Did you stop in August?

yes i ct this piosion in august 2020 and did not realize all my issue are coming due to it like fear to go out side, tremors, high anxiety, sugar crashes, fatigue, left side weakness in whole body and many more. I recently joined SA and that is when i got to know what is happening to me. i ct 2 times before and never faced any wd. may be now i m getting older thats why. I m 42 by the way.

This is just my thought stop using vitamin b12 and vitamin d as I recently hit by a bad wave and on bed just because of taking vitamin b12 and vitamin d. somehow we are senstive to these vitamins. Just 3 monthes ago i was taking both of these and there was no issue. i stopped at that time and now started again on 5th of feb and look at me now. i was not able to sleep straight for 11 days. just got some sleep last night luckily. both of these vitamins are not recommended in wd. I was having severe burning sensations like fire going through my veins instead of blood.  I turned on my air conditioning on 20 c  just to get some sleep :)

read this post.

Yes we are victim of these drugs and the drs who prescribed them to us. I wish them to take these pills and ct so they could realize from what hell we are going through. will they prescribe these pills to their family like they are distributing to others ? never. 

2010 citanew 10mg ct after 6 monthes

2015 citanew 10mg ct after 5 to 6 monthes

April 2020 xanax .25 mg ct after 1 month

April 2020 citanew 10mg ct August 2020

several wd , insomnia, anxiety, fear, muscle spasm, weakness on left side.

Noted and read about the vitamins thank you, I will try without tomorrow.  Keep positive and stay safe

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, BooBoo19 said:

I am nearly 3 weeks of Lexapro, (I do not want to reinstate although I know that is the recommendation because I had poor side effects on it) 

Please read Post #1 of the reinstatement topic carefully.

This is stated there:

On 10/9/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:

Additional reasons to reinstate only a low dose
Reinstating at a low dose reduces the risk of severe adverse reactions, such as kindling.

• Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you to drugs and a larger dose may cause an outsized adverse reaction.
  • If you had adverse effects while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse effects but still reduce withdrawal symptoms. Adverse effects tend to be dosage-related: The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Yes, Booboo, we know how bad withdrawal can be. It can take many months to go away. Please consider reinstatement.

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

The following is what happened to me.  It might help you to understand the action and effect of these drugs and why reinstatement is suggested.

I tried to reduce my drug Pristiq by 50% because of mild serotonin syndrome and the drug only being available in 100mg and 50mg and supposedly not able to be cut the tablet.  After 2 weeks of very bad cog for I was unable to type.  Because I am a professional typist I knew that something was wrong.  SA suggested updosing, which I did, and after about 4 hours (not days) my brain fog was clearing and I was able to type again.  I knew it was because of the drug due to the fact that I had a benchmark.

When I did start tapering properly I experienced ear pain.  I took some cold medication thinking that it might help, but it didn't.  When that didn't do anything to relieve it I realised that it was probably a withdrawal symptom.  I took a tiny bit more Pristiq and again within a few hours, the symptom cleared.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Good Morning (in the UK anyway)

I have started to sleep until 3 and then wake up wide awake, last night I took a 3.75g of Zopiclone after 2 hours awake but am kicking myself now. Does anybody have any natural tips where I do not need result in medication or stimulate my brain further with the tele.

Any advise gratefully received 

• Administrator

Hi BooBoo,

Just want to let you know that I've been reading over some of our comments and history.  I'm glad to 'meet' you, although I wish it were under different circumstances.  Keep trying and I want only health for you.

Take care,

Kristen

2012-present - Escitalopram currently 2.55 mg

Supplements:  Daytime- Green Lipped Mussel 1200mg, Omega-3s 1710mg, Wheat Germ Oil 770mg, Sodium Butyrate 1.2g, Phosphatidylcholine 2600mg, Multi-Min 2 tablets, Liposomal Glutathione 4 pumps, Probiotic 1 capsule, Beyond Balance herbal tinctures for lyme and gut healing (including one only taken during menstruation); Nighttime - L-theanine 200mg, melatonin 1mg, magnesium glycinate 400mg.

History:

2012-2017- Escitalopram 10mg

2017-2020 - Escitalopram 5mg

07/2019-11/2019 - Valium 10mg, every 2-3 days, then stopped

11/2020 - Stopped Escitalopram 5mg abruptly (crashed January 2021)

1/2021-12/2021 - Escitalopram Reinstated 2.5mg to 5 to 10 to 7.5 and then started slow taper

1/2021-2/2021 - Ativan .5mg - Took 13.5 pills over the course of 22 days and stopped

2/2021-9/2021  Hydroxyzine - 50-100mg tapering down to .8mg, then cross-tapered to Claritin and stopped

9/2021-9/2022 - Claritin 5 mg (tapered off)

Hi, we are in a similar position - I hate this as a professional female I feel like have regressed to a child requiring reassurance all the time.  It shard when you get a window and then a big wave comes crashing down.  I have lost 2 stone in weight as the anxiety stops me eating, I did think. would get better of the medication but have actually got worse.  Did you find that and how long before your waves subsided?

On 2/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, BooBoo19 said:

Hello @sunnysideup69, we could have had a chat in the night as I was also wide awake.  Can I ask how you aged to cope with the intense panic attacks and insomnia in the earlier days.  I have had some windows but the wave that I experienced last night was awful, I could not stop my legs from shaking and getting worried this will be me for the rest of my life. I go back to work on Monday after a 5 month absence and hoping that this will give me some direction nd take my mind of the symptoms as all I do now (in lockdown) is focus on them.  As soon as I agreed to go back to work my anxiety increased, I do not know if that is a coincidence or not.  It was my birthday yesterday so Happy birthday to a fellow Piscean, I am a year older but none the wiser.

Hey @BooBoo19, happy birthday to you, too!

Sorry you're suffering and have landed on this site. But you're in the right place -its amazing.

I think you will find going back to work helpful, as you will have something to occupy your mind and take it off WD symptoms. That alone helps a lot.

I also had two bereavements last year- both of my siblings died. I'm sorry you also had such chronic stress and so many bereavements. Life seems very cruel at times. However, you're still here and fighting.

To answer your questions.You've probably seen my signature....I did a lot of drug upping and downing and finally switching. Miraculously, I didn't have out and out panic attacks, but have had anxiety spikes which were pretty bad. When I switched from Citalopram to Venlafaxine, cold turkey, it was horrible. I actually had time out of work and was phased back in over a month. Is that a possibility for you, being phased back in? That definitely helped me a lot. 

Sleeplessness is a pain but that will gradually improve with time and if you practice good sleep hygiene. Use those links that Alto posted for you, above. They really, really helped me. 

Hang in there, you won't feel this bad forever. Lockdown has also been difficult, I feel, and added to the general stress.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

Thanks for a positive reply, I am going back to work on a phased return for 1 month and my manager is fully aware of the situation so fingers crossed.  I agree lockdown and the media just makes everything doom and gloom.  I have tried everything for sleep, including resulting in Horlicks at night (I will try anything).  It has indeed been a lovely day in the UK and I live near the coast so have been for a swim in the sea.  I just wish this damn anxiety would go.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, BooBoo19 said:

I just wish this damn anxiety would go.

I've found this simple restorative yoga pose to be helpful with withdrawal anxiety.  If you're not limber or have back problems, just lying on the floor with your lower legs (from the knee down) onto a chair also works fine.

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

Here are some other links on anxiety.

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

VIDEO:  Peace from Nervous Suffering - Claire Weekes (1 hour) (http://sendvid.com/vgquc1dg)

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help …

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Titled:  Advice please following sedation with Tramadol and Midazalam

Hello Friends, 

I am 5 week from taking my last lexapro and my appetite, sleep, mood and anxiety has not yet improved ( I know it is early days).  However, yesterday. I had to have some minor surgery and was given section of fentanyl and Midazolam.  Although I am absolutely shattered, I did not sleep at all last night, usually I can get at least 5-6 hours.  For my fellow sufferers, you know what is going through my mind!!! Am I getting worse or can it be due to the sedation I received?  I cannot go without sleep and feel that I am getting worse with my motivation, joy in life etc.  

I hope I have posted this in the right Forum if not sorry

Edited by manymoretodays
Introduction merged, title added

Titled: Help following section of fentanlyl and midazolam

Hello Friends, 

@Altostrata I keep posting wrong I think so I do apologise

I am 5 week from taking my last lexapro and my appetite, sleep, mood and anxiety has not yet improved ( I know it is early days).  However, yesterday. I had to have some minor surgery and was given section of fentanyl and Midazolam.  Although I am absolutely shattered, I did not sleep at all last night, usually I can get at least 5-6 hours.  For my fellow sufferers, you know what is going through my mind!!! Am I getting worse or can it be due to the sedation I received?  I cannot go without sleep and feel that I am getting worse with my motivation, joy in life etc.  

Edited by manymoretodays
Introduction merged, title added

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi BooBoo19, @BooBoo19

I found triplicates of the same post, 2 started as new Introductions, and 1 in off topic.

I'm wondering about the Title in the post that is 2 up, you mentioned Tramadol .

In the body of your posts you mention Fentanyl and Midazolam.

15 hours ago, BooBoo19 said:

Titled:  Advice please following sedation with Tramadol and Midazalam

Hello Friends, 

Any sleep yet?  It sounds like you may have been hit with some high anxiety post the synthetic opiate and additional benzo.  And I would think that should improve with time.

Hoping the Tramadol was just an typographical/confusion/anxiety/sleeplessness error.

And I'm assuming these were just one time doses given by mouth, or intravenously?

And then what have you been taking prior to the surgery? 

On 2/21/2021 at 2:57 AM, BooBoo19 said:

I have started to sleep until 3 and then wake up wide awake, last night I took a 3.75g of Zopiclone after 2 hours awake but am kicking myself now. Does anybody have any natural tips where I do not need result in medication or stimulate my brain further with the tele.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, BooBoo19 said:

I chose the option to have diazepam to manage the anxiety.  3 weeks were given with a tapering process, i.e 3 5mg per day for 1st week, 2 5mg 2nd week and 1 5mg 3rd week.  I am 9 days in from last 5mg `lexapro and manage to take only 1 diazepam now and again.

Were you still doing the Diazepam now and again?  Last dose?

And any recent use of the Zoppiclone?  Last dose?

Were you doing well in the 2 weeks prior to this minor procedure? 

If so, I expect you may get back to doing well again, with time.

And you are now a little over a month off the Lexapro, last dose on the 2nd of February I see.

And oh BooBoo19.  I am hoping your next report will be a little better, with some time passing after the surgery.  And hope the surgery went as well as could be.  Just post right here, on your Introduction now and let us know how you are doing.  And I don't know if you have seen yet, some of the posts to you from Alto and Gridley, prior to this minor procedure/surgery, but you'll find them now above.  You may be able to use some non-drug coping now so do take a look.

And no, I sure don't think you have set yourself back a whole lot, yet the additional drugs may have sent you into another Wave of sorts.  Apparently, right now, and for many in WD, we can be pretty sensitive to medications, supplements, etc.........you name it.  I'm hoping your loss of one nights sleep, and the high anxiety will improve the further out you get from this most recent upset to your nervous system.

And best.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hello, thank you for the reply, I know I issued it 3 x by mistake sorry.  I had the sedation intravenously as a one off and the surgery was successful thank you.  My anxiety issues and intrusive thoughts are still very high, lack of appetite and sleep in inconsistent waking at 2,3, 4 in the morning and never getting back to sleep.  In the mornings and at night  feel that I just need to give in and go back on some form of AD but it is absolutely the last thing that I want to do and these inspiring stories stop mr from doing it.  I never had any success only really bad side effects of Lexapro hence stopping it.  It is just so demoralising when your body and brain is in constant fight/flight status and you get an odd window at night but know that it is not going to last.  I have taken the odd zopiclone or diazepam probably once a week when things are really bad otherwise I try and ride it out.  Sometimes see taking them as a treat to calm my mind and remember what it feels like to relax - silly I know but I need hope.

• Mentor

@BooBoo19   I know things are horrific but you are doing it, and it won't last forever even though it feels like it. I know the feeling.  Our bodies and minds scream for immediate relief.  The problem is what gave us relief is now what is causing our problems.   Have you seen this link? 

It takes work for sure and nothing is 100%.  But in the end you will be free of everything and look back and say "Whew! I did it".  So happy you have a loving and supportive spouse!  DON'T GIVE UP!  This is a journey not a destination, all these things I have to remind myself too.  Hoping a window  comes for you soon

1. .025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 by weight of pill  every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, AM and Pm  doses.  Reinstated  9-22-16. Began Buspar taper 1-29-23, .001 mg by weight of pills.  N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  1-2023 Labs okay but not where I feel best. 60 mg. daily now but adding 15 mg. more  twice weekly for a few months then check.  Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

Thanks @Moonpie

I have read the links thank you and very informative.  If it was not for this site I would think I needed to be locked away and I will never recover.  Last night I felt great and today I have completed plumbed and almost had a panic attack when out walking with my husband.  I look at other people and think why can I not be like them. Silly I know but I just want myself back to how I was 6 months ago - does that make sense!!!  Did you have debilitating anxiety?? Anxiety and insomnia is making my mood very low now but I will carry on fighting!!!!

• Mentor

@BooBoo19   I know those feelings well throughout the years.  And wished I could be like others too, but we have know idea what is going on with them or what they might be taking even though they appear okay.  I have always had some anxiety and been a worry wart.  3 years after my husband died I messed up my thyroid medication and ended up in a 8 month nightmare of 24 -7 anxiety like I was in a warzone. Terror, couldn't sleep, crazy thoughts.  I lay curled up in a ball of anxiety with my only relief being the drugs.   My body was running like a freight train.  I lost 25 pounds in two weeks.  I was put on xanax but it didn't hold, zoloft and had a reaction and passed out.  The gradually they added these meds they helped.  Since I starting tapering Ativan and Lexapro I have had waves of anxiety,  some short some long.  I couldn't sleep, eat or do anything but I had to work.  Since I went off Lexapro 3 weeks ago, I have had an some depilating anxiety.  I worry about my health, being able to work, you name it.  I posted today on my thread we need to remember the windows not the waves.  The windows are truth and reality, the waves are not. How wonderful you had a window!  That is great, you are making progress!!! Yes keep fighting!  There are more windows to come.  They help us to keep moving on.  

1. .025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 by weight of pill  every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, AM and Pm  doses.  Reinstated  9-22-16. Began Buspar taper 1-29-23, .001 mg by weight of pills.  N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  1-2023 Labs okay but not where I feel best. 60 mg. daily now but adding 15 mg. more  twice weekly for a few months then check.  Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

@Moonpiethat has made me smile(other than losing your husband) , we are so alike and I like your comment that your body is like a freight train (I may use that if you do not mind).  I have lost about the same amount of weight but over a 6 month period.  I am starting to feel  hungry now but do not fancy anything, I would chomp my way through anything prior to this and enjoy a glass of red wine but have not drank alcohol for 6 months, not a bad thing I suppose.  I returned to work 2 weeks ago but still have insomnia and anxiety, thank goodness we are working from home!!  Like you I worry that I will not be able to do my job,  I know I am not where I should be.  I had bad side effects on the last 2 medications that I have tried, I managed to sea swim and run 5K 3x per week but as soon as withdrawal hit, I have not been able to do it anymore. On a side issue I love your photo!!

• Mentor

@BooBoo19I don't have an appetite. I  have to make myself eat.  It is bad but some nights I just have a bag of popcorn.  I know that isn't  helping as I clean houses and offices and expend a lot of energy.  So lack of food and nutrition I feel is making things worse and holding me back  I eat clean 99% of the time but it isn't enough of the good foods. I am working on drinking more water, a bottle a day does not help a girl in withdrawal.  I just read something another member posted about not pushing ourselves physically, especially when we are in a window. If we do we will make things worse. Our bodies are healing and they need to be treated gently.   I am a work in progress.  I don't share with you as one that has overcome but a fellow traveler still on the journey also.  Thank you, the picture is my furbaby Bill.  Don't know what I would do without him.  We got him 2 years before my husband died.  He is such a comfort.  When I passed out he was the one that woke me up licking my face.  My vet said he is a nervous one because all he has been through with me.  Poor guy.  The breed was bred to be a companion to the wealthy (poor Bill again) and the are very loyal, In tune and sensitive to their owners.  I don't know what I would do if I hadn't found this group.  I shudder to think where I would be or would not be.  

@Moonpie, Bill is lovely and the name.  Thanks for your support, I am trying to focus on people positive stories (acknowledging blips along the way)to give me hope as it certainly is debilitating.  Keep strong and at least popcorn is something in your tummy.  When I am at my worst I just eat what I can get down and will worry later about the nutrition, not ideal I know but I have always eaten healthy before but if you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hello Friends

My withdrawal anxiety, insomnia seems to be getting worse.  Today I have feelings of DP/DR which I have never experienced before and without being dramatic is a little scary.  I was hoping to start feeling better, a little each day but this is not happening.  Anyway, I have been taking St Johns Wort 370mg extract for nearly 6 weeks (GP is aware but I had not put in my signature) now and I am starting to question whether this is impacting my recovery as I was only taking it to help my recovery.  I have halted the tablet for the last week and wondered if anybody had any advice for me as to whether to carry on tapering, stop altogether or infact it will not make any difference.  Thanking you in advance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Booboo,

Please do not create any new Introduction topics.  You have create quite a few already.  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions about your own specific situation.  That way your history is in one place.  It is also the best place for you to journal your progress.  Creating new topics which the moderators then have to merge wastes the valuable time of the moderators who are volunteers and do not get paid.  They prefer to spend their time helping members with their drug issues.  Thank you.

Also, please do a search to see if an existing topic exists.  There are many topics already here at SA where members discuss different things.

There are a 2 topics about St John's Wort.  One is about tapering and the other general information.

To find them use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Sorry about that I just cannot seem to get it right where to ask?  I will try harder LOL