michala: Medication Merry-go-round - Worst I've ever been

michala

Hi all I am new here, my name is Michala. I’m 24. I was first put on antidepressants and sleep aides when I was 9 following a pretty severe car accident. Came off them when I was 12 and developed OCD. I was medication free until 2018.

To make a long story short, I have been on seroquel 300mg for going on 4 years for insomnia, and was on saphris 5mg for insomnia for about 10 months and had to quit cold turkey due to heart issues. Since December 22, I have not known peace. My anxiety is a 10/10, I now have frequent panic attacks, internal jitteriness, tremors, headaches, severe insomnia, depression, and my OCD symptoms are out of control. January 4th my psychiatrist put me on 10mg prozac with 5mg zyprexa, along with my 300mg seroquel. Turns out in mildly allergic to zyprexa and prozac was making me more suicidal. I came off both of those after being on them only 10 days.

Now my psychiatrist wants to put me on 75mg effexor ER (for depression, anxiety, and ocd), along with 42mg of Caplyta* (for mood and sleep) and to stop the seroquel 300mg cold turkey. I am still feeling the massive effects of coming off saphris and still considering going inpatient and cannot handle any more. Does anybody have any insight as to what I should do? Cross taper? Go inpatient to get stabilized on new medication? Quit cold turkey and let the caplyta supplement the seroquel? Wait to see if the saphris withdrawal calms down and stay on just seroquel and cope? I’m at a loss here and my psychiatrist isn’t much help as he’s told me in the past that since i’m only on seroquel for sleep that I shouldn’t have any withdrawals, and that’s just a load of BS. I’ve been on seroquel for almost 4 years

From Wiki:

Lumateperone is a butyrophenone atypical antipsychotic

sept 2018- put on 75mg effexor, 25mg seroquel during inpatient stay due to adverse reaction to cipro and prednisone

2020- 100mg seroquel, CT 225mg effexor

june 2020- 300mg seroquel

january 2021- 40mg viibryd, 300 mg seroquel, esketamine nasal spray

march 2021-adverse reaction to viibryd, CT

july 2021- 5mg saphris, 300mg seroquel

oct 2021- tapered down to 100mg seroquel, 5mg saphris

dec 22 2021- CT saphris, 25mg zoloft- dc after 3 days, 200mg seroquel

jan 7 2022- 10mg prozac, 5mg zyprexa, 300mg seroquel

jan 16 2022- came off prozac and zyprexa

current- 300mg seroquel

past medications/trials: trintillex, rexulti, abilify, risperdal, cogentin, prozac, trazadone, wellbutrin, luvox, lamictal, gabapentin, sporadic benzo use (never more than a week)

• ChessieCat changed the title to michala: Medication Merry-go-round. Worst i’ve ever been

Hi Michala, 

welcome to SA. I am so sorry you are suffering so badly with this. Given your situation it seems like you had withdrawal and then while your nervous system was sensitized you were put onto more drugs that then made things worse. It will help us help you if you can please create a drug signature with your drug history including all supplements and other psychoactive substances - alcohol, pot, nicotine, caffeine, street drugs. 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

It is very likely that what you are going through is withdrawal that was exacerbated with the reintroduction and change of medicines and that destabilization is only getting worse with more changes. 

The only two things that really help for withdrawal are 1) reinstatement of a small dose (which doesn't always work if the system is destabilized) and/OR  2)'wait and keep things stable to settle' - don't make more changes. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How you proceed from here is up to you - I understand you are feeling very distressed. 

If I were you and knowing what I know now and based on the very limited information I know about your history, I would avoid hospitalization and any more drug changes. You might try to reinstate a very small dose of saphris - something like 0.125mg. It is a very very risky choice as it has impacted your heart but may potentially resolve some of the issues. I would wait and stabilize on the seroquel for a long time and then start proper taper from it once you have found ways to deal with insomnia. (I'd consider trauma therapy for PTSD if you think that's what you have from the car accident - EMDR might work). 

Of course, you are the one who is feeling miserable and so you are the one who has to make the decisions on your care. I don't trust psychiatrists much personally these days but yours takes the cake for prescribing two antipsychotics for insomnia (saphris in addition to quietiapine) so I'd consider changing him as well. But most are not much better. 

If you decide to stick this out and not make any more changes, having a look at these may help. Read the first post in the thread for the information. In short, this is what you can expect as you heal from withdrawal: things will get better but in an uneven pattern - they might be very hard at times and almost back to normal at other times. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Some ways to help you cope with the symptoms.

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please keep us updated. Also please remember - withdrawal gets better. It just takes a long time and lots of suffering in the meantime. Wishing you some respite soon. 

OMW

Edited by ChessieCat
removed note about post being worked on

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

thank you 

18 hours ago, Onmyway said:

Hi Michala, 

welcome to SA. I am so sorry you are suffering so badly with this. Given your situation it seems like you had withdrawal and then while your nervous system was sensitized you were put onto more drugs that then made things worse. It will help us help you if you can please create a drug signature with your drug history including all supplements and other psychoactive substances - alcohol, pot, nicotine, caffeine, street drugs. 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

It is very likely that what you are going through is withdrawal that was exacerbated with the reintroduction and change of medicines and that destabilization is only getting worse with more changes. 

The only two things that really help for withdrawal are 1) reinstatement of a small dose (which doesn't always work if the system is destabilized) and/OR  2)'wait and keep things stable to settle' - don't make more changes. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How you proceed from here is up to you - I understand you are feeling very distressed. 

If I were you and knowing what I know now and based on the very limited information I know about your history, I would avoid hospitalization and any more drug changes. You might try to reinstate a very small dose of saphris - something like 0.125mg. It is a very very risky choice as it has impacted your heart but may potentially resolve some of the issues. I would wait and stabilize on the seroquel for a long time and then start proper taper from it once you have found ways to deal with insomnia. (I'd consider trauma therapy for PTSD if you think that's what you have from the car accident - EMDR might work). 

Of course, you are the one who is feeling miserable and so you are the one who has to make the decisions on your care. I don't trust psychiatrists much personally these days but yours takes the cake for prescribing two antipsychotics for insomnia (saphris in addition to quietiapine) so I'd consider changing him as well. But most are not much better. 

If you decide to stick this out and not make any more changes, having a look at these may help. Read the first post in the thread for the information. In short, this is what you can expect as you heal from withdrawal: things will get better but in an uneven pattern - they might be very hard at times and almost back to normal at other times. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Some ways to help you cope with the symptoms.

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please keep us updated. Also please remember - withdrawal gets better. It just takes a long time and lots of suffering in the meantime. Wishing you some respite soon. 

OMW

thank you so much for your input! i am going to stick it out and just stay on the seroquel for now and see where that takes me. however i do have a question though: i have a pretty serious sinus infection and doc prescribed me amoxicillin, would that hinder this process in any way? i am also pre-diabetic and have hyperinsulinemia* due to being on antipsychotics and doc also wants to start me on metformin*. is that also known to hinder this process in any way that you’ve heard of?

*hyperinsulinemia- the amount of insulin in your blood is higher than what's considered normal

*metformin- anti diabetes medication

Edited by Onmyway

sept 2018- put on 75mg effexor, 25mg seroquel during inpatient stay due to adverse reaction to cipro and prednisone

current- 300mg seroquel

past medications/trials: trintillex, rexulti, abilify, risperdal, cogentin, prozac, trazadone, wellbutrin, luvox, lamictal, gabapentin, sporadic benzo use (never more than a week)

Hi @michala

I think not making any more changes is a good idea. Now also focus on trying to be as gentle as possible with your nervous system - rest, gentle exercise, positive things - as much as you are able to. 

I am not sure about the amoxicillin - there are a couple that are dangerous in withdrawal but I don't think amoxicillin was on that list. I have taken a couple of antibiotics myself and been OK but can't remember the ones. But others react differently. A sinus infection is no picnic and can be very dangerous though so you might have to take it. Have a look at the thread below on what you think might be the right thing to do. 

I also don't know much about diabetes treatment. This is the only thing I could find -  Metformin could help improve anxiety in type 2 diabetes - Diabetes - it seems to impact serotonin but based on animal studies. However, it's a newspaper report so not sure what's behind it. Not sure if it actually interferes with serotonin or not. I know one person who takes it who has GI issues from it. If that happens, you may need to time your seroquel differently for proper absorption. I suspect that your pre-diabetes will resolve once you are off of seroquel eventually (antipsychotics are notorious for causing metabolic issues). So not sure what to advise on this. If you are worried you can wait a few months before you start it perhaps? As far as I know metformin is not an urgent thing in most cases but again I am not in any way an expert on this. 

How are things now? Are you feeling a bit better?

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

@Onmyway

thank you for the insight! i am a wreck right now. going to wait to start metformin and try and make lifestyle changes first. 

however, i am doing terrible. i just took my dose of seroquel and am having horrible anxiety, my whole body is vibrating internally and i can’t sleep because of it. things just keep getting worse. i don’t know how much longer i can stand this. i did a deep dive and came across acetyl’s page and found out what happened to him and read his story (may he rest in peace). he was on the same dose of saphris and came off it cold turkey, put on zyprexa temporarily, just like me, and that has me shook up. i don’t see an end in sight and i’m scared. 

current- 300mg seroquel

looking for help: 

i am in the darkest place i have ever been in my life, the anxiety is 100/10, depression and suicidal ideation is also very bad, i am so scared. i cannot handle this, i may have to go to an inpatient crisis unit. would it be a bad idea to go on an antidepressant to stabilize and then down the line taper that? 

current- 300mg seroquel

i was in a dark place yesterday, feeling hopeless and lost, like this was going to last forever. i believe that was an adverse reaction from gabapentin that was prescribed to me for my tremors, facial twitching, and internal vibrations. i am still severely anxious- like nothing i’ve felt before, and have unexplained fear, cortisol spikes in the morning, and some other neuro-symptoms that i can’t quite describe. the depression has lifted some. i’m just reminding myself, 1 minute at a time, 1 hour at a time, 1 day at a time. 

current- 300mg seroquel

@Onmyway i’m thinking about reinstating a very small dose of saphris. i can’t deal with the constant terror and anxiety, it is crippling. do you know how i would go about reinstating since it is sublingual? what kind of scale would i need to get to weigh that out? any help is appreciated! 

current- 300mg seroquel

Dear @Michala, 

here is the thread for saphris tapering which tells you how you would get the low dose. 

Note that this medicine can't be dissolved in liquid so you would have to measure it. You need to get a fine jeweller's scale which you can buy off of Amazon. You can see what other members have bought by looking at the site. You need to remember that while your pill contains 5mg of saphris, that is just the active ingredient. The pill itself will weigh more than that. So if you are reinstating 0.5mg of saphris you would weigh your 5mg pill and take 1/10th of that weight which will contain 0.5mg of the medicine. Basically each pill has a pill weight and an active ingredient weight where the pill weight is larger because it contains fillers and binders and other chemicals to help your body absorb the drug. 

You mentioned your symptoms get worse after taking seroquel, is that consistent or is it only that one time? 

I am looking at your signature and you said you CT'ed effexor in 2020. Could you update your signature to reflect prior psych drugs as well. A history of psych drugs can impact how we advise you and interpret your symptoms. 

There is some advice here on how to use non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal symptoms. 

Hope you feel a bit better soon, 

OMW

@Onmyway thank you, i have just ordered a scale off amazon. 

only recently after taking seroquel do i get weird symptoms. internal vibrations, tremors, drugged feeling. this has never happened before so i’m not sure why it’s happening now. i’ve also started to develop akathisia or mental akathisia as of today which has been scary and debilitating, nothing is able to calm me down. i tried taking benzos when i was first withdrawing and had paradoxical reactions (increased anxiety, hallucinations upon falling asleep) which had never happened before coming off saphris. i feel like this drug has severely damaged my brain. 

49 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

am looking at your signature and you said you CT'ed effexor in 2020. Could you update your signature to reflect prior psych drugs as well. A history of psych drugs can impact how we advise you and interpret your symptoms

i tried but it was over 12 lines. i will try and condense that. 

current- 300mg seroquel

On 1/25/2022 at 3:59 AM, michala said:

looking for help: 

i am in the darkest place i have ever been in my life, the anxiety is 100/10, depression and suicidal ideation is also very bad, i am so scared. i cannot handle this, i may have to go to an inpatient crisis unit. would it be a bad idea to go on an antidepressant to stabilize and then down the line taper that? 

Hi Michala, 

I am so sorry I did not see this. It is helpful to tag me or other mods if you need help urgently, not all of us log in every day and I have been having trouble with receiving notifications (trying to figure out my settings).

Do you have a plan to keep yourself safe - i.e. call a friend/relative, have someone stay with you if you are in distress? What has worked in the past for you to tolerate such distress - a warm bath? a walk? a (self) hug? music? journaling? [I used to do the face in an ice bowl technique when WD anxiety got horrible]. 

This will get better even if it feels like it won't. I have been through it, others have been through it, it will get better with enough patience, I promise you!

Please take care of yourself

OMW

@Onmyway i have never been in this much distress. activity, eating, really any stimuli makes me feel worse and makes my anxiety rise. i don’t know what to do. absolutely nothing has helped and i’m scared. 

current- 300mg seroquel

4 minutes ago, michala said:

only recently after taking seroquel do i get weird symptoms. internal vibrations, tremors, drugged feeling. this has never happened before so i’m not sure why it’s happening now. i’ve also started to develop akathisia or mental akathisia as of today which has been scary and debilitating, nothing is able to calm me down. i tried taking benzos when i was first withdrawing and had paradoxical reactions (increased anxiety, hallucinations upon falling asleep) which had never happened before coming off saphris. i feel like this drug has severely damaged my brain. 

Hi @michala

it is not unusual to get paradoxical reactions to benzos and other 'calming' drugs after withdrawal. Our nervous system is thrown in chaos with the first withdrawal and multiple changes intended to fix that sensitize it even further so then even drugs that are supposed to bring calm will not work the way they are supposed to. 

Let me check with other mods on whether it is wise to reduce seroquel since it seems like you are having adverse reactions to it. 

In the meantime, can you pls hold off on reinstating saphris for another day? 

I am so sorry you are suffering so badly. Akathisia is awful and seems scary. You will get through this but I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. 

OMW 

@Onmyway is it normal to have an adverse reaction to seroquel after having virtually no problems with it up until recently?

and yes i will hold off on the reinstatement. 

current- 300mg seroquel

3 minutes ago, michala said:

@Onmyway is it normal to have an adverse reaction to seroquel after having virtually no problems with it up until recently?

and yes i will hold off on the reinstatement. 

I don't have specific experience with seroquel but once our nervous system is sensitized even vitamins and supplements can cause adverse effects. That's why we suggest reinstatement of a very small dose, to test the waters, when we suggest reinstatement at all. That is what makes further changes in drugs - adding, switching problematic in withdrawal.   There are some breathing exercises in the 

Have you tried taking magnesium in pill form or in an epsom salt bath? Can you find ways in which to distract yourself? 

Here are a few tips to help with anxiety. I realize they might not feel like they can touch your level of anxiety but do them anyway. 

Ways to cope with daily anxiety - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

OMW

@Onmyway i have not tried magnesium but would like to know which form is the best to take or gives the best results. 

thank you for all the resources, i really appreciate it. i have tried many different ways to distract myself but end up becoming wildly overstimulated and it makes the anxiety worse. i will keep looking for techniques to help alleviate my severe anxiety. 

current- 300mg seroquel

@Onmyway i also forgot to add that when i take the seroquel i am getting a stuffed nose, and if i get up from sitting or laying down my heart rate rises significantly and i get palpitations, and sometimes the right side of my forehead starts to feel tight and hurts. (none of this started happening until recently) 

current- 300mg seroquel

@michala, the heart rate changes seem like POTS which are symptoms of autonomic destabilization. It gets better when it's from withdrawal. Here are some ways in which people have dealt with it. 

But it could also be from low blood pressure especially if you're not eating/drinking.

WD brings along lots of different symptoms. They come and go and change and eventually get better.

Don't worry about what they might mean too much. They may be brutal now but will get better eventually.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, michala said:

Hello, @michala What times of day do you take your drugs, with dosages? When did you add gabapentin? What effect does it have on you?

How are you taking Seroquel and gabapentin, in what size tablets or capsules?

Your post suggests you are having an adverse reaction to Seroquel, like a paradoxical reaction. You may be taking too much.

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

We may be able to get you settled down by minimizing your drugs. It sounds like your psychiatrist wants to randomly throw in more drugs. If I were you, I would not add any psychiatric drugs at this time. 

I'm really sorry the antipsychotics have deranged your insulin. Metformin does not seem to interfere with withdrawal, you may wish to take it for the time being.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata @Onmyway

im sorry for the delayed response, i had to have an emergency dental procedure and have been recovering from that. however, i am now on amoxicillin and all my mental symptoms are much much worse.

i will try and do daily notes starting tomorrow. 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, Altostrata said:

How are you taking Seroquel and gabapentin, in what size tablets or capsules?

i discontinued the gabapentin after 4 days as i believe it was causing an increase in SI.

i take the seroquel in a 300mg tablet.  

current- 300mg seroquel

• Administrator
On 2/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, michala said:

however, i am now on amoxicillin and all my mental symptoms are much much worse.

Antibiotics can cause odd symptoms. When did you start amoxicillin?

On 2/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, michala said:

i discontinued the gabapentin after 4 days as i believe it was causing an increase in SI.

What dates did you take gabapentin, when did you stop?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Antibiotics can cause odd symptoms. When did you start amoxicillin?

I started them January 30, I discontinued them February 4 because they were making my akathisia and anxiety worse. I still have pretty terrible akathisia and anxiety is severe. 

3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What dates did you take gabapentin, when did you stop?

I started the gabapentin January 23, discontinued January 27 due to increased SI and depression. 

I don’t think that the akathisia is caused by the seroquel, as I feel calmer after I take it and am able to fall asleep. I believe the acute anxiety, akathisia, and body pain are from the saphris CT. 

current- 300mg seroquel

• Administrator
On 2/5/2022 at 3:01 PM, michala said:

I started them January 30, I discontinued them February 4 because they were making my akathisia and anxiety worse.

People often report their symptom pattern worsens after taking antibiotics. You'll have to be patient and let this reaction settle down.

@Altostrata do you have any recommendations on psychiatrists specifically in georgia?

i saw a list you posted a while ago but can’t seem to find it… when i did look up 2 of the practitioners on the list, they have since passed away. 

current- 300mg seroquel

• ChessieCat changed the title to michala: Medication Merry-go-round - Worst I've ever been
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are wanting to find a psychiatrist to write your prescription, any doctor can do this.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
18 hours ago, michala said:

@Altostrata do you have any recommendations on psychiatrists specifically in georgia?

i saw a list you posted a while ago but can’t seem to find it… when i did look up 2 of the practitioners on the list, they have since passed away. 

Sorry to hear that. The older generation often was more understanding. Which of them did we lose?

3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Which of them did we lose?

Noel T. Rivers Bulkeley, and Charles Whitfield, ironically the only 2 practitioners listed for Georgia. 

current- 300mg seroquel

• Administrator

No, there are others, see 

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata i believe i have been kindled due to amoxicillin or something. i had to restart amoxixillin for 4 days: February 7-10 due to gums becoming infected, then came down with a virus, which has since cleared mostly- just left with a cough. since then i have had dystonia like symptoms (muscle rigidity, constant inner vibrations, leg stiffening, arm twisting, my whole body is in pain, jerking, trouble breathing, burning headaches, burning skin, just to name a few) along with severe suicidal akathisia along with mental akathisia. i don’t know if it’s the saphris wd, the virus, or seroquel. i’m at a loss here. i had a little bit of a window yesterday morning into the evening which was very nice, but then at about 11pm the suicidal/homicidal akathisia and panic started. it calmed down a bit after i took seroquel, but then woke up a few times throughout the night with akathisia (which hasn’t happened before, i’m usually able to get decent sleep on seroquel). but since going back on and off the amoxicillin, things have gone from bad, to way worse. 

i know you have told me to take daily notes and i was, but now my symptoms have amplified greatly. i will start a fresh symptom list starting tomorrow. i’m really scared. i do not feel safe. 

current- 300mg seroquel

also, i have complete terror, of anything and everything. my thoughts, all noises, tv, it’s really indescribable. i am scared and am fighting for my life every second of everyday. the suicidal urges are very intense and scary. it all feels purely chemical and im not able to control it. im in therapy but it’s not helping much. do you have any recommendations? 

current- 300mg seroquel

i just lost my dad to covid in december, i can’t put my mom and brother through another loss but i can’t go on like this much longer. i’m so scared. i don’t feel safe. i don’t know what to do. 

current- 300mg seroquel

On 1/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, michala said:

@Onmyway

thank you for the insight! i am a wreck right now. going to wait to start metformin and try and make lifestyle changes first. 

however, i am doing terrible. i just took my dose of seroquel and am having horrible anxiety, my whole body is vibrating internally and i can’t sleep because of it. things just keep getting worse. i don’t know how much longer i can stand this. i did a deep dive and came across acetyl’s page and found out what happened to him and read his story (may he rest in peace). he was on the same dose of saphris and came off it cold turkey, put on zyprexa temporarily, just like me, and that has me shook up. i don’t see an end in sight and i’m scared. 

Hello, I used to be like you, not wanting to take antipsychotics. I tried coming off them by tapering 10% per month. I reached a point in about a year where my old symptoms are starting to come back then i tried increasing my antipsychotics again but it doesn't help and i "relapsed"

risperidone 5mg on 17 december 2017

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

fluoxetine 20mg started 15/12/2017,stopped 15/1/2018

1/1/2019 80 mg lurasidone

2/1/2019 40 mg lurasidone

3/1/2019 stopped

29/5/2019 20 mg lurasidone 

7/6/2019 10 mg lurasidone 27/6/2019 5 mg lurasidone 30/11/2019 2 mg lurasidone 30/12/2019 1.66 mg lurasidone

Taking 40mg lurasidone and its helping a lot, don't stop your antipsychotic if you suffer from psychotic symptoms

• Administrator

I'm so sorry, @michala Do you have covid? This can have many strange symptoms. 

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages?

@Altostratano i tested negative for covid. not sure what it was but the virus started when i started taking amoxicillin again. 

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages?

i take 300mg seroquel at bedtime, usually around 12am. 

current- 300mg seroquel

• Administrator

You're not taking gabapentin? Please update your signature.

How do you feel before and after each dose?