Sofa: Mirtazapine CT withdrawal getting worse. Reinstatement? Need help!

Sofa

Hi,

My experince with psychiatric drugs started last summer (2021). I was unluckey enough to get tinnitus. With the tinnitus came sleep issues and stress, which in the end lead to dp/de.

I was put on zyprexa 2.5 mg at night to sleep and combat my anxiety. The dose was increased to 7.5. During the month i took it the dose i took fluctuated between 2.5-7.5 mg. 

As i did not like the way the Zyprexa made me feel, i got switched to an antidepressant, Mianserin. When adding the Mianserin to the Zyprexa my CNS said enough is enough, and i developed severe akathisia. Had to be hospitalized and c/t off both drugs. Got put on valium, ambien and proprenalol to combat the akathisia. Mine was so bad i could not sit down for one moment. 

The akathisia went away after a few days luckily, and i started to taper the valium. The akathisia returened upon finishing Valium, and i was put on oxazepam. Got bouts of akathisia, pgad and dp/dr coming off of it, but not as bad and i quit in oct -21. Lingering dp/dr got better, but increasing tinnitus and sleep problems.

Fast forward, i got put in in patiant care i december -21. Here i got prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg and zopiclone to sleep. Took mirtazapine 15 mg for approximatly 1.5 weeks, and then quit as i was under the impression that it was such a low dose, it did not need tapering, and could be taken as needed. Which is what i did. Over the next to weeks i took mirtazapine four times with few days inbetween, which i now know you’re not supposed to do.

The last time i took mirtazapine whas the second week og jan -22. I immediatly felt something was wrong. My body felt heavy and not like my own. Over the next days this feeling lessened a little bit, but my body still felt weird. I got new symptoms like dizziness, lightheadedness, like there was a vail over the world, flu-symptoms, and an annoying restlessness in the chest and legs and arms (mild akathisia). I also suffered blunted emotions and mild anhedonia. 

Two weeks after last pill things got worse. The akathisia increased a lot, mostly in my upper body, had increased anxiety, head pressure, crying spells and panick attacks. As well as loss of consentration and massive brain fog. This state lasted two weeks, until symptoms worsened again. 

I got a new symptom, which is that i have no emotions at all. Noe reaction in my body, no connection or interest in anything. No anger, anxiety, sadness, happiness, love. Just nothing and boredom. Akathisia has grown much worse. And i dont have Windows in the evening and early night anymore. Back to pacing a lot also, and a lot of mental akathisa which makes it Impossible to concentrate on anything. Extremely loud tinnitus in brain and ears, worse head pressure, weird heavy feeling in my body and mind, insomnia and worse dp/dr.

I am now two months into withdrawals, and things are only getting steadily worse. My question is what would be the best thing to do in this situation? Try to reinstate a small dose of mirtazapine? I am afraid though that the on and off caused some kind of kindling reaction, which is what i am suffering now. My worst symptomer are emotional anesthesia, akathisia and the incredible lack of mental clarity. 

I have wondered sometimes if its just all in my head, and that it is just anxiety causing these symptoms, but i feel medicated, and also believe its possible these symptoms come from withdrawals. 

Worsening symptoms:

- No emotions at all/emotional anesthesia - cannot feel sad, angry, anxius, happy, motivation, interest, love. My body is empty and werid. Feels like i am brain dead and everything is hard to do. I just feel bored all the time and dont get much out of anything. I could basically just wander back and forth and not care. i dont have a personality or any drive anymore.

Whats weird is that in the first months of withdrawal i could not stop crying and had a lot of emotions. I was not happy, but i could feel interest in a few things and i liked watching tv-shows. Now i cant watch tv because i cant connect or react to anything.

-I feel like there is no connection to the body, and i register pain in my stomach, but i dont have an emotional response to it. Same with hunger, i can feel physical sensations of hunger, but in my brain i am not hungry, and i struggle to eat because i dont have feelings of want twowards food, and everything tastes like paper. These symptoms came on after roughly two months into withdrawal. 

- Akathisa - at first it was just an annoying restlessness which made it Impossible to relax, but then it startet getting worse. Had the restless feeling mostly in my chest and upper body, but it has now spread to legs as will, cant sit still and i cant concentrate on anything. It is exhausting and terrifying. At first i would have a lot of anxiety and feelings of doom, but since the emotional anesthesia i just the restlessness in my mind and body, and not the emotional part.

- Depersonalization/Derealization - i dont recognice myself in the mirror, my arms does not feel like mine, and the world around me is strange. Feels like i am not me and that i am not really present.

- Lack of focus and mental clarity/brain fog - i cant read books, hard to watch tv, cant study! When i look at the tv sometimes i can register what i am seeing, so its like lokking at a wall

- Lack of emagination, visualization and creativity

- Head pressure - intense headpressure getting worse. Mostly in the back of my head and on top of my head

- Increasing tinnitus 

- Insomnia 

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sofa: Mirtazapine CT withdrawal getting worse. Reinstatement? Need help!

Hi!

My symptom are getting way worse. I have werid pressure/feelings in my body, and the dp/dr is off the charts. My vision is also failing and i Feel like i am not completely present. I still cant feel emotions, but i do feel anxious in my head, and sometimes i feel just totally apathetic. I take ambien to sleep. Should i stop doing that? Is it making it worse?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

Welcome, @Sofa

You were put on Zyprexa for tinnitus? This is the first I've heard of that.

It's possible that since you went on and off drugs, your nervous system got sensitized, and you had a kindling reaction to intermittent mirtazapine.

The only drugs you were on long enough for protracted withdrawal were the benzos. For what reason were you hospitalized in December?

Do you drink alcohol, have a course of antibiotics, or take any other drugs since June 2021?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was put on Zyprexa because i could not sleep, and i was hospitalized in december also because i could not sleep. The only medication i take right now is ambien. 

I am really scared right now because i dont know what is happening. There is this werid pressure in my whole body!

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

My akathisia is also getting worse, and i just feel like i am gonna double over and faint. I can’t think. This is so bad. What is happening to me!

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata is it possible that i can heal from this? Or will it just get worse? My cognitive function, no emotions and akathisia is really bad. Have not taken ant other medication apart from zopiclone to sleep. Did drink a glass of wine during christmas. Hospitalized in dec because of insomnia. 

Is there anything i can do to reverse this? Will et help to reinstate mirtazapine, and at which dose? Or do i just have to wait it out?

i also took zopiclone/zoldipem during christmas, so could this be still benzo-withdrawals, or just an adverse/kindling reaction to mirtazapine?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

I really cant stand having no emotions! Will this ever go away! I have never heard of this happening after quitting a medication! I feel so disconnected from the world! Nothing comforts me because i cant Feel comfort!

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Should i reinstate the Remeron? Or will that just make things worse? Doctors thinks i am depressed and just anxious and wants to put me on an ssri! 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Do you drink alcohol, have a course of antibiotics, or take any other drugs since June 2021?

Are you taking any drugs? What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages?

What is your sleep pattern? When do you feel faint? Are your activation-like symptoms worse or better at any particular times of day?

You may fall into the category of people who have an immediate adverse effects to an antidepressant. See 

Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

The emotional anesthesia is a common consequence of having taken psychiatric drugs or had severe adverse effects. It may not be a withdrawal symptom per se but will gradually dissipate as your nervous system settles down over months. You will need to be patient and let this settle down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Sofie,

I sent an email to your hotmail address about my experience with Mirtazapine CT.  Don't know if you saw it or not.

Derek

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

@Altostrata 

I feel like i am falling more and more away. I can’t feel my own body, it is so scary. I used to have Windows of less akathisia, but now it is constant, but the weird thing is it does not Feel like its my body that is restless. I dont Feel anything. I dont Feel tired, hungry, cant Feel love or connection to anyone. I Feel so alone. Anxiety does not give a physical response in my body. No adrenalin, no increased heartrate, just nothing 

Insomnia is really bad, and i take 7.5 zopiclone to sleep. Zopiclone is like zoldipem. 

The world around me dont seem real and l dont seem real. I cant think or speak. I dont understand what people are saying. I dont feel reactions in my body. My genitals feel numb, but aroused at the same time. 

The pressure in my head is getting worse. When i try to think or speak ot gets worse! 

i Feel like i am dying!

I took Mirtazapine for two weeks, then on and off for two weeks. I felt immediatly weird after the last dose! Bur how can it get this bad! I Feel lobotomised!

Should i reinstate small dose mirtazapine to taper, or will it do nothing for my symptoms? Wil it just give me another reaction?

Is the Zopiclone for sleep just making it worse? 

Could this be a wave after quitting benzo i october?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata

I feel like i am falling more and more away. I can’t feel my own body, it is so scary. I used to have Windows of less akathisia, but now it is constant, but the weird thing is it does not Feel like its my body that is restless. I dont Feel anything. I dont Feel tired, hungry, cant Feel love or connection to anyone. I Feel so alone. Anxiety does not give a physical response in my body. No adrenalin, no increased heartrate, just nothing 

Insomnia is really bad, and i take 7.5 zopiclone to sleep. Zopiclone is like zoldipem. 

The world around me dont seem real and l dont seem real. I cant think or speak. I dont understand what people are saying. I dont feel reactions in my body. My genitals feel numb, but aroused at the same time. i dont Feel like i have control of my bowels eather because i cant Feel my body!

The pressure in my head is getting worse. When i try to think or speak ot gets worse! 

i Feel like i am dying!

I took Mirtazapine for two weeks, then on and off for two weeks. I felt immediatly weird after the last dose! Bur how can it get this bad! I Feel lobotomised!

Should i reinstate small dose mirtazapine to taper, or will it do nothing for my symptoms? Wil it just give me another reaction?

Is the Zopiclone for sleep just making it worse? 

Could this be a wave after quitting benzo i october?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata

I Feel like i have PSSD and PGAD at the same time. This is insane! 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

Please read my responses carefully and answer completely.

Many people here have had adverse drug reactions. The symptoms are strange and disturbing, but your nervous system wants to get back to normal and will work on that if you help it along by staying as calm as possible.

@Altostrata

I am sorry. I am just so scared. Dont recognize myself.

The only drug i take now is zopoclone, a drug similar to ambien, take it at night 7.5 mg for three nights, and today i took half a tablet because i want to quit. Did not sleep at all tonight.

I dont Feel tired and the intense akathisia makes it hard to settle down. At the same time it seems i cant Feel comfort or content anymore. The akathisia is always present, but changes slightly in intensity with no spesific pattern. Same goes for my other symptoms, but gradually they are all getting worse.

i am in a mental hospital right noe because i can not function, i cant eat or sleap or think clearly. Seems like i have lost all executive functioning.

The doctors here wants to put me on an SSRI because they thinks its anxiety! Could that help alleviate my symptoms, or would it just make everything worse?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Sofa said:

take it at night 7.5 mg for three nights, and today i took half a tablet because i want to quit. Did not sleep at all tonight.

Did zopiclone help you sleep?

When you went off Valium in August, what symptoms returned? When you took oxazepam, did those symptoms go away? Why did you go off oxazepam?

@Altostrata 

Yes, zopiclone helps me sleep.

When i went off the valium, the akathisia from zyprexa returned. The akathisia went away after two weeks on oxazepam,  but then returend again two weeks later while tapering, i also got pgad and severe derealization and headpressure when i was completely off the oxazepam.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata

If this is an adverse/kindling reaction to mirtazapine, is it best to reinstate or just wait it out? Should i try another medication? Doctors want me on an SSRI! 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata

Is it bad to reinstate if you’ve had an adverse reaction to mirtazapine?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

I would not reinstate mirtazapine or any other antidepressant if I were you. It appears your nervous system upset dates from the addition of mianserin to Zyprexa. Either it was an immediate adverse reaction to mianserin or a drug-drug interaction.

It appears your condition responded to the calming effects of benzos. Zopiclone is related to benzos.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:03 AM, Sofa said:

The akathisia returened upon finishing Valium, and i was put on oxazepam. Got bouts of akathisia, pgad and dp/dr coming off of it, but not as bad and i quit in oct -21. Lingering dp/dr got better, but increasing tinnitus and sleep problems.

You may also have withdrawal from going off Valium. It seems to me if you reinstate anything, it would be a low dose of Valium. It will also help you sleep. Sleep is important.

We would help you taper off later.

@Altostrata

Is it possible for my symptoms to go away with time? Specially the total loss of emotion, dp/dr and akathisia?

Or are these hard symptoms to recover from?

You dont think this could be an adverse reaction from taking mirtazapine on and off?

Last questio! Is it normal for the symptoms to become gradually worse the first months after a reaction and is it normal for new symptoms to emerge that was not there before? 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Does anyone know if propranolol will work for the akathisia? I have this constant inner pressure which makes it hard to concentrate and sit still. The pressure is in my head and body. I can never relax. 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Sofa said:

@Altostrata

Is it possible for my symptoms to go away with time? Specially the total loss of emotion, dp/dr and akathisia?

Or are these hard symptoms to recover from?

You dont think this could be an adverse reaction from taking mirtazapine on and off?

Last questio! Is it normal for the symptoms to become gradually worse the first months after a reaction and is it normal for new symptoms to emerge that was not there before? 

Yes, your symptoms should fade in time, but it may take many months.

As explained earlier, the additional drugs may have set off kindling.

It is characteristic of withdrawal syndrome that symptoms come and go and mutate into other symptoms. See 

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It seems to me if you reinstate anything, it would be a low dose of Valium. It will also help you sleep.

This is my best guess for a drug route.

Some people benefit from propranolol. I cannot advise you on dosage, etc.

@Altostrata 

I am currently in the hospital because i am so bad, and they want me to try an SSRI? What should i do? I dont really want to, but i am not finctioning. I dont eat or sleep because i cant Feel hunger or tiredness. I cant live without having no emotions what so ever or with this akathisia and increasing tinnitus. 

i am scared to take an SSRI!

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

@Sofa, I have given you my best advice. You have chosen to go into the hospital. You will need to decide whether to follow their instructions or not.

@Altostrata

Im sorry, but i keep getting worse day by day, and it scares me. I feel like i dont exist anymore. I am so empty inside with no emotions and my mind is so blank and my cognition so bad. The intense restlessness is not helling either.

I have been taking zopiclone to sleep the past week, and was wondering og that could be part of the reason i am getting worse day by day, or if that is just normal in a withdrawal/adverse reaction?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata

i am at a loss. Do you think its worth trying to reinstate Remeron, or will that just make everything worse? Is it possible that my emotions can come back? 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Hello, Sofa!

I've been experiencing exactly the same symptoms (except for tinnitus and akathisia, which followed me for about two weeks and then disappeared) as you have for four months, without any windows or episodic gaps, which also scares me to extremes, as I am afraid to remain so forever, or to lose my former personality irreversibly. If you don't mind, we could try to support each other, because without this elementary psychological help, everything can end up very badly. Hang in there, please! We are experiencing monstrous suffering, but do not give up in any case.

Oct 20 2021 - Nov 11 2021: 2.5 mg (1.25 mg. in the morning and 1.25 mg. in the evening) -- abruptly stopped taking the drug (cold turkey)
Nov 15 2021: an attempt to reinstate olanzapine (I don’t remember the exact dosage, but it was 1.25 or 2.5 mg.), failed due to my fear of this drug
Nov 16 2021: took 25 mg. quetiapine at night
Nov 17 2021 - Nov 18 2021: took olanzapine at a dosage of 1.25 mg for two days in a row, stopped the drug again
Nov 20 2021 - Nov 29 2021: chaotically took quetiapine these days (I think I took 25 mg one night and 12.5 mg the other) and olanzapine (also a couple of times 1.25 mg each, and the last dose fell on November 29th)
Dec 2021 - Jan 2021: for a month and a half to two months I took many different natural supplements (fish oil, 5-HTP, St. John's wort, green tea extract, tyrosine, biotin, citicoline, Alpha GPC) and multivitamin complexes (B vitamins, for example); in addition, in the same weeks I took about 8-10 tablets of phenazepam, but I never did this even for two days in a row, because I just needed to relieve my anxiety, even if temporarily; from time to time I also took hydroxyzine during these months with an approximate regularity equal to one tablet (dosage - 0.25 mg.) in 5-6 days; in the first 14 days of January, I was also injected intramuscularly with peptides (cortexin)
beginning of February 2022: four days in a row I used 37.5 mg. venlafaxine, 25 mg. lamotrigine and 50 mg. trazodone (soon gave up all drugs due to lack of visible effects)
end of February 2022: I once tried a 50mg sulpiride capsule and a few days later took a 250mg Phenibut tablet (again, no noticeable effects)

• Administrator
On 3/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, Altostrata said:

You may also have withdrawal from going off Valium. It seems to me if you reinstate anything, it would be a low dose of Valium. It will also help you sleep. 

I don't know how mirtazapine will affect you.

@Altostrata

Hi, the last couple of days i seem to have developed PSSD. I have got total genital numbness and cant reach orgasm at all. I did not have this problem while on the drug, or even five days ago. Could PSSD occur during withdrawal? 
Could it be caused by the zopiclone i have been taking the last week to sleep? 
Is it possible it will go away? 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Landis 

Yes! Let is support each other. I could really need that! 

My situation seems to be getting worse. Have now symptoms of PSSD untop of my PDAD. So i am physically aroused all day, but cant orgasm because i have no libido and my genitals are not responding to touch. This is pure hell 

Almost want to gust laugh

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Altostrata

I have this weird symptom. When i try to think or focus, i get this increasing pressure in the back og my head and in the front of my head. I also struggle with reading and watching tv. I see what is happening, bit its like my brain is not pocessing and giving it any meaning, like there is a filter behind my etes that make it hard to understand. 

Any tips for how i can get through the day when these distractions are not possible? 

Or any links, tips for other users who have experienced this? Struggle to find any.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

This is very common in withdrawal. Are you light-sensitive? You may wish to dim the lights or wear dark glasses even indoors.

Otherwise, you will have to be patient while this and other withdrawal symptoms fade.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

@Altostrata

Do you have any advice for tapering zopiclone? I have been taking 7.5 mg. For a week, and then 5 mg one day yesterday. Doctor days its fine coming strait off. But i am not sure anymore

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

What exactly has your drug schedule been over the last week? Does zopiclone help you sleep? If it does, why do you want to stop it?

If you have been taking zopiclone for only a week, you can simply stop. Your posts indicate you've had it since March 9.

Zopiclone is a relative of benzodiazepines, such as Valium.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, Altostrata said:

You may also have withdrawal from going off Valium. It seems to me if you reinstate anything, it would be a low dose of Valium. It will also help you sleep. Sleep is important.

I have given you my best advice regarding your apparent withdrawal syndrome. I don't think I can add anything else.

@Altostrata

Hi, i caved in and took a valium last night because the akathisa was too bad and had a panic attack lasting for hours.

My headpressure and cognition got a lot better, and it calmed down the panic attack and unease in my chest.

Oddly though it caused more akathisia in the legs. 

Could it be a sign that i am in benzo-withdrawal and not withdrawal from kindling/adverse reaction from Remeron? 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2