Sofa: Mirtazapine CT withdrawal getting worse. Reinstatement? Need help!

Sofa

@Averus32

Its just so frightening, because it feels like my vision and hearing is operating on a different level and pace then before. 

I just tried listening to music. But i dont hear the music in my whole head. Its just in the back of my head. Its so uncomfortable. The music is also kinda muffled and hard to catch!

i also have this dense cotton feeling in the back of my head. 

have you heard of Anyone else experiencing a similar thing?

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@arbor

(Mod Note:  Post moved from hearing-things-could-be-your-drugs so as not to take the original topic "off topic")

Hi! Thank you for answering!

I also have trouble with my vision. I have blurry vision, trouble focusing, distorted stretched out vision and brain had trouble processing vision. 

Do you know if this is also normal for withdrawal? It makes it hard to function in daily life sadly 

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Yes @Sofa vision issues are common in withdrawal. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

In case this is useful to you, I am copy-pasting from some posts I originally wrote in rebeccaannxo's thread.

"In regards to eyesight, I can share that I've experienced significant vision problems, especially in the beginning. I struggled with double vision, bouncing vision, blurry vision, accommodation difficulties, general binocular vision problems, dry eyes, convergence issues, floaters, blind spots, and a few more things that I don't know the names of. I also suffered from eye strain and facial muscle pain around my eyes. It was extremely unpleasant and impaired my daily functioning. I consulted an opthalmologist who assured me that there was nothing wrong with my eyes per se, "It's just your brain," said the doctor. This was offered as a comfort, but you can imagine how alarming that was to hear at the time, haha!

Anyway, the good news is: my eyesight is fine now. It took a while but all of these vision issues eventually resolved."

There is a strong connection between vision and balance. This is something that one can learn to live with. Eventually my eyesight issues resolved. In the interim I learned some coping strategies to help me through the waiting period.

found it very useful to differentiate between the individual symptoms, my reactions to those symptoms, and then how those various symptoms and reactions affected my behavioral choices. For example, an activity that posed a challenge for me was grocery shopping. To break down the activity into tasks, grocery shopping entailed making a grocery list, leaving the house, navigating four flights of stairs there and back, walking half a mile to the supermarket (and back), dealing with traffic crosswalks, making my way around the supermarket to locate the desired items, etc. Because I was having vision problems this activity and all its sub-tasks posed any number of difficulties. However, I found that I could manage, I just needed to adapt my approach to the whole experience. 

First and foremost, acceptance: I needed to fundamentally accept that my vision was temporarily wonky. I needed to tell myself: This is how my vision is right now. I may need to slow down and make other behavioral modifications in order to compensate for my eyesight issues. My eyesight issues are temporary. There is no permanent damage to my eyes or optic nerve. There is a temporary issue with my brain’s visual processing center. I trust this will get better with time, as my brain heals. I trust my brain will heal, I trust my brain is healing.

Then there is the experience of struggling with my vision. I did not enjoy having impaired eyesight. It was unfamiliar, unpleasant, uncomfortable, scary -- I didn't like it, and I didn't want it! Fair enough. And at the same time, there it was. There wasn't anything I could do about it then and there, so in addition to accepting that the issues were there, I also needed to accept that I felt unhappy about the issues. My eyesight is not functioning normally, and that sucks. 

Once I accepted that, I could open myself to exploring the possibilities of functioning within the bounds of the temporary impairment. Even though I wasn't seeing my surroundings in the way I was used to, I could still see. What was I able to do within that? This was a process of refocussing from how it used to be to what I could actually manage now, no matter how different things had become.

I began to inquire into: what am I able to do with impaired vision? And the answer turned out to be: most basic, necessary things. I just needed to adapt my behavior to the sensory experience I was having in the moment. I told myself: It may feel new and unusual and even uncomfortable, but it’s not dangerous. I can still walk, even though it doesn’t feel like I’m used to. Walking requires concentration, I need to go slower and be more present with my movements. I can walk mindfully. I can still perform basic tasks – personal hygiene; grocery shopping; food preparation – even though my vision is affected throughout. I just need to focus my mind on the task at hand, go slowly, do my best to get through the task. 

Basically, I needed to accept that things were gonna look wonky; things were gonna maybe feel wonky; and that it wasn't like I was used to. And then I was free to explore strategies for what might help along the way, e.g. slowing down, taking breaks, holding on to the railing of a staircase, paying attention to the ground beneath my feet, etc. 

Then there's the aspect of emotional reactivity (and, possibly, withdrawal-related neuro-emotion). Essentially, I had to practice not freaking out. This is easier said than done. The visual sense is very powerful for human beings; we rely on it to a great extent. It is linked with our sense of safety in the world in various complex ways, including physically (e.g. balance) and psycho-bio-socially (being able to scope out our surroundings to identify possible threats as well as friends). It is normal for sudden vision impairment to profoundly affect our well-being and challenge our sense of safety. I was troubled by the eyesight issues, I felt afraid and unsure of myself. This is normal. At the same time, I had a choice in how I dealt with those feelings. I accepted that the experience I was having was uncomfortable (My eyesight is not functioning normally, and I hate that.) And I tried to inquire, gently but honestly, into what might pose any actual danger. When I really considered it, I found that there was no real increased risk. Of course, this was not the time to suddenly take up hand-to-hand combat practice or drive on the freeway. There were certainly activities I was unable to do, that would simply not be safe given my condition. But fortunately I was able to avoid those activities for the time being. Everything I absolutely had to do I could do in some modified, adapted version that would be safe to carry out with impaired vision. I just needed to go slow, pay attention, take breaks as needed, and continue investigating practical strategies along the way. 

So when I try to do something with blurry/bouncing/double/unpredictable vision, there may be a voice in my mind, like an excitable sports commentator, trying to narrate the whole experience: Uh-oh, whoopsie, things are getting blurry, this is not normal, what are we doing out here on the sidewalk, I don’t know about this, our vision is not functioning properly right now, what is this, I don’t like it one bit, turn around, turn around, let’s go home, we can’t do this, do you hear me, this isn’t safe, I don’t feel safe, let’s go home right now!! This voice is the withdrawal-influenced monkey mind reaction to a strange and unusual circumstance. This voice wants to keep me safe, and so it’s sounding the alarm and using fear as a tactic to convince me not to venture into the unknown. The anxiety voice regards everything unknown as risky, a potential threat.

But I am the one who ultimately decides. I get to say: Well, yeah, this is kind of new and weird, and I understand this can feel scary. But it’s not unsafe. I’m operating within the bounds of safety. I’m going slow, I’m being mindful, I’m making responsible choices. I’m not driving down the freeway; I’m walking mindfully to the supermarket (or to the bathroom). And that’s totally doable, even though it’s pretty bizarre to experience the world represented in this unprecedented visual way!

What I'm trying to say is, I think at first I was hyperfocussed on all the problems with my vision. My mind obsessed over every anomaly, ever primary symptom (such as double vision) and every secondary symptom (such as dizziness, feeling off-balance, etc.). Due to the novelty and fear factor of the experience, it was all I could think about. That's normal, because it's new and strange and scary. After a while I was able to begin training myself to accept the presence of those visual phenomena and practice letting them be. I can't say it ever became ordinary to have eyesight issues, but I got more and more used to it. It's like, at first it's Breaking News! And it's all Sensational! And then the story gets old, and when you think about it, it's like, oh yeah that's a wild story, and then you kind of shrug and pay attention to something else. I realize this may sound far-fetched, as I know how demanding and overwhelming it can feel when one is dealing with such pervasive sensory processing issues. The notion of getting used to living with dizziness or learning to ignore the fact that everything looks blurry might sound absurd. But it's possible, and I found it to be an indispensable tool in getting through that period of time. 

On 4/8/2022 at 2:51 PM,  rebeccaannxo said: 

I am very unsteady when trying to stand and walk, my vision causes bad balance and the fact that everything is blurry and I can’t focus properly.

Of course it's up to you how you approach this. Only you know what it's like to be in your body, and only you are the one living your experience. 

I am sharing a bit about my discoveries in my own process of healing from vision problems because I relate to your story and I am familiar with the challenge of eyesight issues.

Since this is ongoing for you, and since it's impossible to know when the issue will resolve, I wonder whether it might be a good time to experiment a little with how to navigate the circumstance.

What would it be like to say: Okay, I am very unsteady when trying to stand and walk. That's just how it is right now. I wonder whether it would be possible to stand unsteadily and walk unsteadily -- what would that feel like? Maybe it's possible to be an unsteady stand-er and unsteady walk-er for a while ...  Okay, my vision causes bad balance, and everything is blurry. It's uncomfortable compared to what I'm used to; at the same time, that's just how it is right now. How might I explore moving through the world with bad balance and blurry vision? Could I move more slowly, could I use a crutch or walking stick of some kind, could I try to be more present in my body as I move my limbs (e.g. no multitasking)? etc. 

I don't know the answers to those questions, and you don't have to know the answers to those questions, either. The point is to ask them, and see what happens from there. 

This is a lengthy post, and I've shared a lot of information. Feel free to take what's useful to you and also feel free to ignore as you see fit.

I wish you all the best in your continuous recovery. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

@Ariel

Is it normal to have vision an hearing issues all the time for months? I have had the same problem for three months now. It scares me and makes me Feel it will never go away.

How long Did it take for your vision issues to resolve? 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Yes @Sofasometimes these issues can last for a long while, certainly much longer than we would like. 

It does get better with time. 

Have you had a chance to read through the success stories? People recover and barely remember what it was like to have been so ill. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-psychiatric-drug-withdrawal/ 

My GP wants me to take B12-supplements or injections because my levels are apparently really low.

Is it safe to take B12 supplements, or can that make things worse?

I dont want my cognition, loss of emotions and sexual symptoms to get worse.

Anyone have any experience?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Is B12-supplements safe? What should you avoid it? I see many people say that. Will it make symptoms permanently worse?

I really dont want my anhedonia, dpdr, dissconnect, cognitive issues and PSSD to get worse, either temporarily or permanently.

Like i mentioned earlier, I just had my blood work done, and my B12 is apperantly way to low. My GP wants me to take supplements or injections. 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Ariel

I have heard one should not take any supplements the first year after PSSD, to maximize chances of faster recovery. 

Will taking B12 make my chances of recovery worse? 

Can it cause permanent worsening of symptoms? 

I have already screwed up taking benzo and zopiclone and ginger after, so i really dont want to anything worse now.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Sofa

I sent you a link to a sitewide search for discussions of B12.

Have you looked up the threads and read through them? 

@Ariel

Yes i quickly read through them. They dont seem to mention PSSD though, and the experince seems to be mixed

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator
On 4/13/2022 at 8:31 PM, Altostrata said:

Many people whose system are sensitized find the B vitamins to be activating. If you have to supplement B vitamins, you might start taking a small chip of a vitamin B12 tablet at first and gradually increase over weeks. Same with the others. Chewable or sublingual tablets are best, they get absorbed in the mouth.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Is it normal to Feel worse right after starting treatment with B12?

I Feel more flat emotionally, like totally empty and dead inside. 

I also Feel nausiated and have cramps in my stomach.

I also Feel really restless. I dont normally have restless legs with akathisia, but now i cant sleep because my legs always have to keep moving. I can also Feel the restlessness in my arms, back and neck! It is so bad. I have not slept in three days. 

Is it normal to become worse at first? Should i lower the dose i am taking (1000 micrograms cyanocobalamin) or will the activation pass and i will stabilize?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Did you read Alto's post?  She originally posted it 14th April and then quoted it above your last post on Tuesday.

You did  "see" the post because you clicked on the "like".  But I don't think you read it OR you read it and ignored what she suggested.

I am copying and pasting it here in full so that you can clearly see it:

"Many people whose system are sensitized find the B vitamins to be activating. If you have to supplement B vitamins, you might start taking a small chip of a vitamin B12 tablet at first and gradually increase over weeks. Same with the others. Chewable or sublingual tablets are best, they get absorbed in the mouth."

Q:  What do you think you should do now?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Sorry, i will stop asking questions. 

Had a concussion not long ago, so my memory (long and short term) is basically gone at the moment. 
i dont mean to annoy you on purpose

I have to take B12 because i have signs of neuropathy caused by deficiency, and 1000 mcg is the lowest dose, unsure if i can cut the pill. 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

you might start taking a small chip of a vitamin B12 tablet

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear you are reacting to something as simple as a B12 vitamin!

Additionally, if you have trouble methylating (40% of the population do), you may do better with methylcobalamin than cyanocobalamin.

The taking of chips is standard practice, here.  All of my B-vitamins are chopped and slivered, and then I put them in gelcaps, basically compounding my own B-vitamin complex (keep in mind, I have been off the drugs for 6 years now!). Standard manufactured formulas are one-size-fits-all, which may work for many people, but some of us need different ratios of the different vitamins, and those of us in withdrawal can be overly sensitive.

and 

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus
20 minutes ago, JanCarol said:

B-vitamin complex

Please be aware that SA suggests trying supplements one at a time and not taking a complex otherwise if you have a reaction you will not know what caused it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep - that's why I mentioned that I am 6 years off my drugs.  

I don't recommend B-complex for anyone here!  (in fact I don't recommend manufactured compounds of any sort, which is why I compound my own)

There are many here who are D and B12 deficient (they seem to go hand in hand), but they also survive just fine without supplementation until their nervous system is stabilised enough to take it.

B12 = a tiny chip only, if you feel you really need it.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

3 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Sorry to hear you are reacting to something as simple as a B12 vitamin!

Additionally, if you have trouble methylating (40% of the population do), you may do better with methylcobalamin than cyanocobalamin.

The taking of chips is standard practice, here.  All of my B-vitamins are chopped and slivered, and then I put them in gelcaps, basically compounding my own B-vitamin complex (keep in mind, I have been off the drugs for 6 years now!). Standard manufactured formulas are one-size-fits-all, which may work for many people, but some of us need different ratios of the different vitamins, and those of us in withdrawal can be overly sensitive.

and 

Hi, Thank you for your response!

I cant seem to access the first link you posted.

My Doctor wants me to take injections, but is that worse than oral supplements?

I also Feel my symptoms are so werid. I would expect akathisia to get worse because B12 is activating, but i dont understand why my emotions are more flat and my anhedonia is worse. I would think i would Feel the opposite.

Sorry if i sound panicky, but i have not made my symptoms permanently worse by taking the B12?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Administrator

You haven't made your symptoms permanently worse, a B12 dose lasts only a short time. But you may be complaining of symptoms that are caused by your supplement. Up to you how you want to deal with this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sofa - the links work for me.

Taking an injection is usually a huge dose of B12 all at once.    This is what they do for pernicious anaemia.  Do you have pernicious anaemia?  Or is he just "trying something" in the hopes that it will help you?

Even if you do, it's important to start slowly and carefully.  I would think an injection would be more intense than a tablet.

Consumer Labs reports that even people with pernicious anaemia can use tablets, and they don't even have to be the sublingual (dissolving) ones.  

If it were me, I'd wait a few days for the symptoms to settle.  Like Alto says, it's likely to be temporary.  

Then I would try a tiny chip.  I use a microgram scale to weigh my B vitamins, so that I know the dose I am taking.

Suggestion, something like 100 mg (that's 1/10th of a tablet!) to start.

But wait until your symptoms smooth out first.

4 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Hey Sofa - the links work for me.

Taking an injection is usually a huge dose of B12 all at once.    This is what they do for pernicious anaemia.  Do you have pernicious anaemia?  Or is he just "trying something" in the hopes that it will help you?

Even if you do, it's important to start slowly and carefully.  I would think an injection would be more intense than a tablet.

Consumer Labs reports that even people with pernicious anaemia can use tablets, and they don't even have to be the sublingual (dissolving) ones.  

If it were me, I'd wait a few days for the symptoms to settle.  Like Alto says, it's likely to be temporary.  

Then I would try a tiny chip.  I use a microgram scale to weigh my B vitamins, so that I know the dose I am taking.

Suggestion, something like 100 mg (that's 1/10th of a tablet!) to start.

But wait until your symptoms smooth out first.

Thank you for your reply!

My blood work shows B12 levels at about 150. I dont know the cause of it, but my Doctor seemed concerned because the levels where so low apparently. 

She originally wanted me to start out with 4000 mcg, but i cut it down to 1000 mcg cyanocobalamin. 

I will wait and then try again with an even smaller dose!

What scares me is that someone in an anhedonia/PSSD group say B12 can cause epigenetic methylation and permanently change DNA, which can lead to more severe anhedonia.

Is this even true? I have now way of telling if this knowledge is false or not sadly. But it still does scare me to think that Maybe my anhedonia and depression is permanently worsened by four doses B12. 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Sofa said:

What scares me is that someone in an anhedonia/PSSD group say B12 can cause epigenetic methylation and permanently change DNA, which can lead to more severe anhedonia.

Hey Sofa - 

I've never heard this before.  Again, if you are concerned about methylation, take methyl-B12  (methylcobalamin) instead of cyanocobalamin.  But - as a person in withdrawal & affected by these drugs = start with tiny tiny amounts and gradually build up (like a reverse taper, keep it calm and simple).

Time is the best solution to anhedonia and PSSD.  Your current regime of (if I understand correctly) 2x5mg valium daily will also contribute to depression and anhedonia.  A numbing effect, which may also affect PSSD.  Working on getting off those is key.

Psych drugs do deplete B-vitamins (which may be why so many of us are sensitive to them in withdrawal) - so as you taper down, your ability to take in B12 and utilise it will improve.

B12 deficiency is also a side effect of vegetarian/vegan diets.  Eating more eggs, organ meats,  is safer than taking a tablet.  I know many people who boil (or fry in coconut oil) up a bunch of chicken livers and eat one a day instead of taking a vitamin.  I've done this myself.

I hope this gets better for you soon.

37 minutes ago, JanCarol said:

Hey Sofa - 

I've never heard this before.  Again, if you are concerned about methylation, take methyl-B12  (methylcobalamin) instead of cyanocobalamin.  But - as a person in withdrawal & affected by these drugs = start with tiny tiny amounts and gradually build up (like a reverse taper, keep it calm and simple).

Time is the best solution to anhedonia and PSSD.  Your current regime of (if I understand correctly) 2x5mg valium daily will also contribute to depression and anhedonia.  A numbing effect, which may also affect PSSD.  Working on getting off those is key.

Psych drugs do deplete B-vitamins (which may be why so many of us are sensitive to them in withdrawal) - so as you taper down, your ability to take in B12 and utilise it will improve.

B12 deficiency is also a side effect of vegetarian/vegan diets.  Eating more eggs, organ meats,  is safer than taking a tablet.  I know many people who boil (or fry in coconut oil) up a bunch of chicken livers and eat one a day instead of taking a vitamin.  I've done this myself.

I hope this gets better for you soon.

I think i should change my signature, the valium where a one time rescue doses. So i am off all medication now. 

Thats what is scary because i just keep getting worse. I understand it now because of the B12, but otherwise i still have been getting worse since i quit all medication.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Sofa

Congratulations on being off all medication! 

That is a big achievement. I hope you give yourself lots of credit!

Healing takes time. Your brain and nervous system have a lot of work to do. On top of that you have a concussion. 

In withdrawal terms you have not been off medication that long. There is no way to predict how long recovery will take. It is normal for it to take many months, or years. With that in mind you may still be in the early stages of your healing journey. There is no way to know.

That being said, the most important thing to remember is: Healing does happen. 

Healing is happening all the time, even when we do not consciously feel it. 

I know it can feel scary sometimes. You are very brave.

Keep practicing acceptance and patience. Practice non-drug coping techniques.

Continue to take gentle care of yourself and give your body optimal conditions to heal. 

It gets better!

Love, light, faith,

A. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sofa - time.  Time.  Time.

You quit medication in an erratic way (from what I can tell of your sig - maybe put PRN next to the emergency doses, so that we understand better?)

So - if you had slow tapered off of Zyprexa, you would have taken about 2 years to come off it.

You are still just one year out - so all of the gentle neurotransmitter & systemic adjustments of a slow taper are happening all at once.

You can't really say "it's damage" until you've gone 2 years beyond that.  So - sadly, a few months of drugging equals about 4 years of healing.  (and they wonder why I refuse to take Lyrica or antidepressants for my pain?)

Patience and kindness.  Find the things which give you pleasure (difficult in anhedonia, maybe it's watching cartoons, reading books, following a series on NetFlix,  playing silly computer games, learning to knit, colouring, painting, dancing - whatever it is that helps for you).  Hedonic rehabilitation!  Find what feels better.  The key is - pay attention to "better."  

1% better is still better.  So if you cook a meal and eat it, and you feel 1% better - that is the right direction.  If you take a 5 minute walk in sunlight, and you feel even just a little better after, then that is the right direction.  (caution:  alcohol and cannabis may feel good in the moment - but AFTER is the key, they can exact a price which is damaging to healing neurotransmitters & essential endocrines)

Learn about diet - make sure your brain is getting enough good fats (coconut oil, fish oil - or fatty fish, olive oil, etc.) to smooth your myelin sheaths.  Learn about practice - maybe a little qigong, or daily walking, or meditation will help.  Work on your sleep hygiene.  All of these little lifestyle shifts will move you in the right direction.

Be patient with yourself, be kind to yourself.  Be gentle with yourself.

I believe (though I don't know / can't prove it) that the vitamin B hit your system and destabilised you.  You learned that lesson.  (and that lesson applies to any supplement you want to try!)

So be kind to yourself, be patient with yourself, be gentle with yourself.  

Time and patience is the path to healing.  (I see that Ariel just posted something similar, only s/he was able to say it in fewer words!)

I hope you see the sun today!

My sense of smell has reduced the past few weeks, and in the last days my smell has started to fade as well. Everything tastes and smells bland. 

Is this normal in withdrawal or is there another cause for this? 

I am off all medication and have tested for covid, which i dont have.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest that before you post asking about something to try doing your own research.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

No 52 on the withdrawal symptom list is:

Abnormal smells or tastes.

And doing a search on the internet for the term site:survivingantidepessants.org smell found this topic:

olfactory-disturbances-changes-in-the-sense-of-smell

7 minutes ago, Sofa said:

@Ariel

I have tried to read and do research, but had a concussion a few weeks ago and my brain dont work so well right now. 

Struggle a lot with reading and get too tired, so really hard looking up and understanding information sadly. 

Therefor it is easier now to ask. Have not been able to read the whole topic. Too overwhelming for my brain sadly. 

Hope it gets better though 

Hi @Sofa

Replying in your intro topic as this has to do with your personal condition.

I'm sorry about your concussion. That's a tough thing to deal with on top of withdrawal. 

Have you considered taking a break from reading, research, looking up and trying to understand information? 

If it's too overwhelming for your brain right now, that may be a sign that your brain needs a rest. 

Why ask the brain to do something it clearly doesn't want to do, and maybe cannot do at the moment? 

Any information there is will still be waiting for you when you come back. 

No reason to force things or insist. Do what you can, not what you can't. 

Bonus: listening to your brain and body, accepting temporary limitations, resting, etc. will help facilitate good conditions for healing. 

Take gentle care of yourself -- don't push it -- and IT WILL GET BETTER.

Not feeling too good sadly. My memory and cognition is so bad now it scares me. My thinking is so slow, and Sometimes i get lost in my own city where i have lived all my life. Cant remember what i Did yesterday or earlier this morning. My brain is only a mush and i cant access anything and nothing gets stored anymore.

Simple tasks are mentally exhausting and the head pressure is bad these days. 

B12-dilemma cause extra stress. Thinking with myself if i should take small dose and risk worsening symptoms, or take nothing and risk nerve damage from low B12. So hard to decide 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Sofa

Have you been able to get an official medical diagnosis for the concussion? 

I ask because I'm wondering whether this might entitle you to some rehabilitative support in the health care system. Maybe also practical assistance getting around and doing the things you need to do. 

I don't know how it is in Norway but in other Scandinavian countries there is broad support for traumatic brain injuries (TBI), incl. physical therapy, neuro-optometric rehab, social welfare, counseling, organized recreational activities, support groups, etc. 

Maybe there's a way to be clever and pragmatic about your concussion and use it to your advantage to gain extra support during this time when you're hit by the double whammy of TBI and withdrawal. You'd still need to be mindful that these are two different conditions but if you were to find TBI-knowledgeable support you'd have a certain advantage as at least they should understand some things about neurogenesis and brain healing. You wouldn't even ever have to tell them anything about WD or psych drugs. I imagine many of your WD symptoms are consistent with TBI.  

Do you currently receive any professional guidance on how to manage healing from a concussion? What resources are available to you?

Sending you a hug,

A.

@Ariel

I do have a diagnosis actually. The rehab and knowledge about concussion here is limited sadly, and most treatment private, but i have a Great physical therapist and now i have a scheduled meeting at the only place here that deals with mTBI. 

I hope i can get some help there. I would love to have my brain and memory back. I am not used to my memory being like this and my thougts are usually quick. Talked to a speech therapist who thinks i have a mild case if aphasia as well.

I hope to get some guidence and to continue speech therapy and to see an optometrist since my eyes are all messed up

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Sofa

I'm glad to hear it. 

I hope that working with kind, experienced, knowledgeable professionals trained in TBI physical therapy, speech therapy, neuro-optometry will be a good source of support for you. 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

Edited by Ariel

Have gotten this extremely bad taste is my mouth over the past few days. Like when you drink juice and then brush your teeth with lots of tooth oase after. Makes all things taste bad and drowns out the good taste in food.

My sense of taste is also reduced, as is my sense of smell!

All my senses are off. I Feel disconnected from them somehow. It is really strange and disturbing 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2