kevatron: coming off low-dose Amitriptyline after 8 years

kevatron

Original full topic title before condensing:  coming off low-dose Amitriptyline after 8 years, the under-informed way - deeply awful.... not sure what to do now...

Hello,

I came across this forum thankfully, after looking for info and advice/support for withdrawal from Ami. 

The rough timeline and history etc are in the signature.

It is 4 weeks since my last dose of Ami. I was under-informed by the GP when I first went on it 8 tears ago. He told me something like "it's no big deal, you're on such a low dose (10mg or on occasion 20mg per night for anxiety induced insomnia after a triggered latent trauma episode), you can take it as needed - no worries"......

NO mention of having to stick to a regular every day dose, or the horrific withdrawal effects, or tapering, or long term effects etc... nothing.

So, to try to cut a long story as short as I can, without compromising context, here goes:

Please use the signature timeline to get the picture of how things have passed.

I came off Ami "unconsciously" and only really clocked it when I suddenly had a **** yourself horrendous headache, and a "wave of despair" and "rotten-ness" experience one day, and because I kind of recognised the headache, in particular, as feeling somewhat "chemical" in nature, I thought about it, and then realised that I had not had any Ami in about a week. 

I had been cutting back on the Ami since end of Dec 2021 into Jan and Feb 2022, as I was concerned about a few "low blood pressure/hypo" type experiences I had been having, and wondered if they may be caused by the Ami. I still don;t know whether this was the case or not, but regardless, I started to cut back on Ami, and miss doses here and there, sometimes taking herbal sleep aids to help with sleep....

I was not paying too much attention to what I was doing with the Ami, as I had the story that it was "no big deal" as mentioned above, from the GP.

Of course, I realise now, after having done some research after the event, that this was a disaster waiting to happen. 

I had "accidentally" gone cold turkey, and also spent 2 months on some kind of hap-hazard detox/retox behaviour. I had been suffering from constant diarrhoea for most of Jan Feb 2022, but put this down to a prolonged bout of IBS, which is something I have had, on and off over the years anyway. Notably though, previously I had always had IBS on the constipation side, rather than the other side.

Once I realised that it was likely the Ami, I reinstated at half doses (5mg) straight away, and sure enough the "chemical" savage headache reduced in intensity the next day, by about 60%.

I continued like this for about a week. The following week, I reduced the dose to about 2.5mg every other night for about a week. Then I took my last dose on March 5th.

Obviously I know now that this was way too quick a taper.

I am having a deeply awful experience with severe symptoms. The headaches have been getting a little better over this last month, but are still there daily. I have high anixiety and  my guts are absolutely trashed. I have had random weird bruising on my arms, not caused by impacts. These have been fading in the last 2 weeks though. Chronic dry skin and rash on the tops of the shoulders and upper back, maddening itching all over. 

Chronic fatigue, chest tightness, dry mouth, muscle aches and pains, tingling sensations, restless legs at night sometimes, insomnia, early morning wakefulness, nausea, feeling faint, coughing in the morning, runny nose all day.

I'm listing these for completeness, not for a sympathy vote! Just so we have the details and scope.

I am trying a few supplements:

Zinc

NAC and Milk Thistle

Activated charcoal

Digestive enzymes at mealtimes, plus peppermint oil capsules

And a few days ago, I started L-tryptophan 500-750mg with valerian root, at night - don't know whether this is making things worse on the physical side, and the anxiety....

So, I have, at least,  a couple of questions please?

The pharma companies state "up to 3 weeks" for the withdrawal process to be over? (not that I trust big pharma one bit of course), but it appears lots of us are experiencing effects way beyond 3 weeks? What is the explanation for this discrepancy, and what is a more realistic timeframe for my case?

I read about reinstatement, but have not done this, as I was already at 4 weeks with no Ami, once I began educating myself about it. I am reticent to go back on the drugs at this stage, but at the same time, I can;t see myself being able to cope with this level of ill health for weeks more on end..... Should I be considering re-instatement, given what is said about it being "too late" to try this, in that it may not work or even make things worse?

I would say the most distressing and intolerable symptoms I am dealing with right now are the body pains/tension/anxiety, and the totally screwed digestion - I have a lot of intense pain in my guts, and this affects sleep also. i dread mealtimes, as I just don;t know whether, in an hour's time I'm going to be totally screwed and in pain.

Any advice or comments would be truly appreciated.

Thank you so much for listening,

Kev

Edited by ChessieCat
added full topic title

2013 - Amitriptyline 10mg sometimes 20mg a night, for anxiety induced Insomnia

8 years on Ami - not taking it every single night, but most nights at 10mg, some stretches at 20mg a night for a month or so, when troubled with high anxiety/insomnia

2021 December - started backing off on how regular I took it

2022 Jan/Feb - backed off further, but in a hap-hazard "unconscious" manner

2022 Feb 24th - hardcore withdrawal symptoms - realised I had not taken any Ami for about a week

2022 Feb 25th - reinstated 5mg per night

2022 Match 1st - about 2.5mg per night for a week

2022 March 5th - last dose 2mg ish

2022 April 10th - reinstated at 1mg per night

• ChessieCat changed the title to kevatron: coming off low-dose Amitriptyline after 8 years
  • Administrator

Welcome, @kevatron

On 4/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, kevatron said:

The following week, I reduced the dose to about 2.5mg every other night for about a week. Then I took my last dose on March 5th.

If I were you, I'd reinstate 1mg daily immediately, to reduce withdrawal symptoms. This could be enough. You'd taper off by minute amounts later. 

Otherwise, you'll have to cope with withdrawal symptoms, which could last many months. We don't know of any specific supplement programs to reverse this. 

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

These may slightly reduce symptoms. You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hello Altostrata,

Thank you so much for the reply and suggestions etc.

Right - so it probably is about reinstating then.... I only have 10mg tiny tablets of Ami, so it'll be impossible to accurately divide one into 10 equal pieces. I have read about liquid form for tiny doses - do I ask my GP for that form?

I'm a bit scared of going back on the Ami - been reading about kindling? That is, if I understand it correctly?....however,  it appears from your message that you suspect that it's still recommended, even after a break of 5 weeks? 

I do hear you though, about these symptoms possibly going on for many months.... I just could not be dealing with that...

I have a magnesium spray that I am using before bed, and I will look at getting some omega 3 fish oil, thanks.

By the way, an I assume that you suspect that the guts nightmare I am having, is directly related to withdrawal?

Thanks again for your help with this!

8 years on Ami - not taking it every single night, but most nights at 10mg, some stretches at 20mg a night for a month or so, when troubled with high anxiety/insomnia

2022 Feb 24th - hardcore withdrawal symptoms - realised I had not taken any Ami for about a week

A little update:

The possibility of having to deal with this state I'm in, for "many months" drove me to take some Ami last night - I tried to approximate 1mg - it may have been less - I was erring on the side of less....

Had a "new" pain this morning up left and above my left armpit, but then I've had so many different pains all over the place, I couldn't put any real weight on this. I've not noticed anything else pronounced yet- compared to yesterday morning. I felt anxious, maybe a little more than before, but hard to tell - I think I am anxious about getting back on the drugs anyway.... It appears I didn't overdo it with the dose, at least......

The main thing I'm looking for improvement with, is the guts and the anxiety/fatigue.

I guess I'll need to try taking this amount every night for a while, before being able to judge if it's helping/making things worse or whatever, or if the dose needs to be changed?

One thing - can anyone recommend a good pill cutter that can cope with dividing very small pills like Ami 10mg into 1mg pieces please? Are these flimsy looking plastic ones I see everywhere, up to the task?

Thanks 🙏🏽

Quick update  - this afternoon I noticed some depression thoughts/feelings creeping in....  I haven't had specific depression stuff going on since coming off the Ami - emotionally only really the high anxiety, plus all the full on physical symptoms...

I guess there's no way of knowing if it has anything to do with the little bit of Ami I took last night... I think I'm likely getting myself in a mess over this whole thing now, and getting overwhelmed.....

Definitely noticing more wooziness/light headed/faint feelings plus a stranger kind of headache this afternoon....  these had faded quite a bit prior to last night's dose, but were characteristic of the first couple of weeks of withdrawal... making me worried about the reinstatement thing....

I guess there may be some wobbles on the way in though?

Sorry to be coming with lots of messages but I thought it may be useful to know what's happening today....

• Administrator

We recommend a very low starting dose for reinstatement precisely to avoid kindling.

This topic explains how to make a liquid from the tablets, if you can't get it from the pharmacy. This enables you to measure out small dosages. Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

It's important to take the same amount at the same time every day. It will take 4 days to a week for a dose to reach full effect.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto,

Many thanks for the reply and info.

I decided to stick with taking it... I am torn inside on this one, which I know isn't good. I need to get fully behind whichever route I take. I have to work on this. Think I. have to accept that I "messed up" in coming off too quickly, albeit due to lack of education, and I have to accept this is the way forward.....

I took roughly the same amount last night - cutting it with a craft knife until the pill cutter arrives tomorrow - so the amount is a bit rough...

Felt really heavy bodied this morning - with a severe dry mouth, and air hunger. Too early to tell what the digestive side is doing - that's been so dire, that it'll likely be a while before I can sense whether it's better or worse for sure.

I hear you about the 4 days to a week for things to settle - thanks.

I will look into the liquid thing. Thanks.

Hi. So it's been a week since reinstatement at 1mg a night.

I still have all the same symptoms, but they are marginally less intense.... still very challenging and interfering with normal working life. sleep is also all over the place.....

Is it advised to continue at the 1mg/night for a while longer, or raise the dose slightly? It's difficult to tell which symptoms are withdrawal, and which are side effects of going back on the Ami?

Any guidance would be appreciated?

Thank you

• Administrator

What effect have you felt from the 1mg over the course of a week?

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me so swiftly!

Well, it's been very similar to before, but backed off a little.... so it has made a small difference I think.

I still have the same symptoms though - the itching is actually a bit worse maybe, and the "psoriasis" type rash and dry skin etc is bad still, particularly on the tops of the shoulders and the upper back. Guts are still messed up but maybe a little less hardcore. Still feeling faint and woozy sometimes, and low energy - towards fatigue. Headaches, lower back pain, frequent urination, dry mouth are all pretty similar (although I have not had the kind of killer headaches I had straight after stopping the Ami). Sleep is a bit worse I'd say.

I have been able to focus on work for more hours at a time in recent days, which is the first time in 5 weeks, so that's a good sign I think.

Emotionally things are pretty much the same, I'm not quite depressed, but I am anxious and tense. The physical symptoms were always by far the worst. 

So overall, there's a slight improvement I'd say, but I'm still in very bad shape.

I hope that helps give you a picture?

Thanks again, Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. 

No reply to my last, so I am wondering if my answer wasn't really helpful? If this is the case, then please ask directly for what info would be most useful?

Or maybe there's just been nobody available to reply since I posted it...

So, I'll update while I'm here...

It's been a little over 2 weeks since reinstatement. 

The theme outlined above continues really. It's a bit up and down though - today I am having a really bad day - very anxious, depressed, a bit panicky at times, feeling lost and in pain - tight chest, abdominal pain, bad stomach, headache, strong fatigue, bad itching and bruises/rash on my right forearm, some nausea too.

Today is the worst day for a while. In general things have been a little improved compared how dire they were before reinstatement. However, I am still quite unwell - wondering if it's about increasing the Ami dose, or not... I've no idea what's for the best here.

Sleep has been patchy but not terrible.

I have been managing to keep on top of my work, but only because I am freelance and don't work a 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday type job - if I did, then I would have to be off work.

I'm confused really - am I still going to be experiencing withdrawal symptoms, but also maybe some side effects of going back on the Ami? I don;t know what's what to be honest, and the side effects and withdrawal effects are so similar....

Thanks.

• Administrator

How do you feel before and after taking 1mg amitriptyline?

HI. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here.... Do you mean how do I feel directly after I take the 1mg in the evening? 

I believe I have already outlined in detail, how I felt before reinstatement, and now after reinstatement of 1mg per night? Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here!

Thanks.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, kevatron said:

Do you mean how do I feel directly after I take the 1mg in the evening? 

Yes, directly after and throughout the night.

Right - ok - thanks....

Well, I usually take it around 8pm, and try to be in bed for around 11pm. I am often very itchy at bedtime, but then today I was very itchy and rashy with new bruising on my right arm all afternoon, and now my upper middle back is itching badly, and it's about 8pm here - just before I am gonna take the Ami. So hmmm...

Since reinstatement, sleep has been very patchy, and I often wake up once during the night, and then again too early, before get up time. I think sleep is a little worse since going back on the Ami, but it was messy before anyway...

So I don't have a lot of helpful stuff here I'm sorry!

I will take special note of how I feel after taking it, and let you know something - I have not been playing special attention to that so far.

What is people's general experience with this? Am I still mainly experiencing withdrawal, given that I have been on 10mg per night on average, for the last 8 years? Or do we get side effects from going back on it?

Thanks again for sticking with me here, Alto!

• Administrator

To figure out what's going on, we have to go by your observation. How are you doing now, before and after taking amitriptyline?

How is the rashy itching now compared to early March, when you were taking a bit more than 1mg?

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking back at the notes I made since Feb 24th, it seems that the itching got much worse after I took the last dose on March 4th/5th. What is confusing though, is that the itching and skin problems first appeared at during December 2021, and I cannot remember exactly what I was doing with the Ami back then - possibly I was taking it a little less often, but I was not paying any attention back then, as explained previously. It was pretty mild though, and only between the shoulder blades at that time. I had no idea what was causing that at the time.

So the rash and itching is as bad now as it was when I was totally off the Ami. It's up n down, and flares up for a while, then fades a bit. This morning for example, the right forearm was really intense, and has quite bad "eczema" in two itchy spots. There is more bruising on that arm too. That period in Feb March when I was on around 2mg was so short in duration, it's hard to know how much weight to put on it? 

The rashy skin on the tops of the shoulders is a bit better - however I am putting oil on all these rashy bits, morning and night - moringa, amaranth or lavender, which helps a bit.

But when the itching is really bad, oil does not relieve it. I have to put lavender oil on every night before bed, in order to help myself  get to sleep.

Sleep is a bit all over the place, but it's not super bad. I'd say there's been no strong noticeable change on this side of things. 

Looking back on my notes, it appears that the other symptoms - wooziness, nausea, horrendous gut problems, muscle aches and pains etc, cracking headaches etc, are a little less intense after reinstatement, although these are still there. 

The anxiety/depression side is up and down, hard to compare it with Feb/March time, as the physical symptoms were so all encompassing, that I could not really connect to anything emotionally. Nowadays I am anxious most of the time, sometimes intensely, but most of the time 5 out of 10 on average. 

I actually went to my table tennis night for the first time since stopping the Ami first time round, the other night, which was totally impossible during the full on withdrawal during those 5 weeks totally off the drugs.

So, it appears that reinstatement has improved things overall, but the rashy itching is pretty rampant at imes, and the other symptoms are still there - I guess I'm trying to judge whether to "tough it out" for a few more weeks, on the 1mg, and see if these lesson over time, or whether it's about upping the dose slightly for a while, in order to get things a bit more tolerable.....

As I understand it, the skin issues are both a side effect of the Ami, and also a withdrawal effect, so it's hard to know what's doing what right now..... I do know that while I was ruotinely taking 10mg a night for years, I did not have this rashy itchy stuff going on in this way. However, thinking back, I had a recurring itchy "eczema" patch above my left ankle on and off over some years, but never connected it with the Ami. It may or may not have been connected to the Ami. But this heavy duty rashy itching and bruising stuff is defo the Ami - never seen anything like it before the withdrawal started.

This is the best I can give you right now, based on the notes I have.

Thanks.

With regards to how I feel directly before/after taking the 1mg dose in the evening, there's not a lot to report. I don't really notice anything remarkable - I am keeping an eye on this though, and will keep notes if anything noteworthy arises.

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd test both the lavender oil and amaranth oil to see if you're allergic to either, with separate test patches on a leg or somewhere you usually don't have a rash. Lavender oil makes me itch.

Does the itchiness peak at any particular times of day?

I hear you but in this case, I've been using Amaranth and lavender oil on my skin for years - way before any of this stuff kicked off, with no reactions, So I know I don't have an allergy to these two. I have not used lavender oil directly on my skin as regularly as I am now though, so I could do a quick test to confirm that one.... 

The amaranth I've been using on my face for years - all good.

re. peaking itchiness...

hmmm.... difficult to spot a pattern at the moment.... maybe in the morning and then when I get into bed? hmmm... not sure really - there's no distinct pattern that I can put my finger on right now.... nothing shows in my notes either so far - seems a bit random......

I'll keep taking thenotes and see if I can spot any rhythm to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Just a quick update - I have 2 new bruises now on my left arm - this makes me more anxious - is this a recognised withdrawal effect, and or side effect? Do people report this - I've found a few references but not very much? Should I be concerned about this? Thank you.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d77.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d78.jpg

• Administrator

Unlikely it's from withdrawal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Sorry for radio silence, and thanks for the reply. I checked my notes and bruises first popped up in the first week after going CT. I think they are from the Ami. I saw one woman saying that she suddenly had bruises all over after going CT on the Ami.

"By the next day I was itching all over, and covered in huge bruises", she said.

Anyway, they went after about 5 days, like the first lot did, and I've not had any more since those.

The most recent "new" thing I have going on is pain around my left middle knuckle and finger, which started sharp a few days ago, and now changes from being quite sharp sometimes, and more "disperse" at other times. When at its least painful, it feels more like an uncomfortable and strange "tingling" in the hand/fingers. I get this on the right hand too.

I am still on the 1mg a night, and although I am not as trashed as I was during the CT 5 week period, I am still suffering badly with symptoms. Sometimes it feels like I am "going backwards" - nausea, headache, joint pain, muscle aches, fatigue, abdominal pains, gas, anxiety, restless legs at night, insomnia - all these are still here - they just very in intensity and duration. The rashes, "psoriasis" type skin etc is the thing that has markedly  improved somewhat. I still have itching, and dry skin, but overall it's not as bad as a couple of months ago.

It's nearly 6 weeks since reinstatement now.... should I consider upping the dose a little to see if it backs off the withdrawal effects to a more realistic level? How long is it worth waiting to see if it backs off, before trying a little more Ami?

Thank you.

• Administrator

I cannot say what's going on with your finger. Have you tried massaging it or stretching it?

You're only taking 1mg. You might want to try 1.5mg, see if that helps.

Do you have a history of health anxiety?

it seems that Ami withdrawal can cause various pains - muscle aches, joint pain and "nerve pain" too, no? Also I've been having "electrical zap" sensation in various places...

re. Health anxiety history

Not at all - I've never had hypochondriac type tendencies either.... I am struggling with this because the scope and severity of the symptoms is so wide and intense, that it's sometimes hard to keep a grip on the obvious thoughts of "i must be really ill" etc...

I do know that I am very sensitive to medications in general though.... and my guts are very sensitive full stop...

Do you think it's unusual for my situation, that I have so many symptoms?

• Administrator

Many symptoms that come and go and change into other symptoms is typical of withdrawal syndrome.

OK - thank you for that - that's a kind of info that really helps.

It appears that way to me - there is a long list of symptoms that go on, (about 80% of the list on that Joseph Glenmullen sheet, plus some Ami specific ones) and they ebb and flow, with different ones being the most intense at different times.... sometimes "new" ones appear - like the "zaps" - which I had not had so far, and then suddenly there they were. Now, I haven't had any zaps since Weds.

I keep trying to tell myself that it's the withdrawal that's producing these effects... but it's not so easy when the body keeps sending signals all day that say "you are unwell".

Although I don't have a history of "health anxiety", I do have a history of general anxiety, which can obviously get projected onto this situation....

I also manifest mental/emotional states readily in my body, as physical symptoms - as most of us do, to some extent, but I know myself to have a strong propensity on this one. In my early 20s I was extremely ill, with what eventually got labelled as "IBS". It was chronic for about a year, and then once I  was able to make a deeply difficult decision, and  finally leave a situation I was in at that time, the "illness" cleared up 'magically" in about 2 weeks. Just for one example, of many.

• 10 months later...

Hello.

I am checking in after a long time, to update and ask for support and guidance please.... 

A full 12 months has now passed since reinstatement, and I've been experiencing symptoms of one kind or another, all the time. They vary in type, and also in intensity, but they affect my life every day. I guess I have been "holding on" thinking that things would stabilise at some point and then I could taper off from the approximate 1mg a day that I have been taking. I did try going to "every other day" for a while, but this eventually led to a hardcore return of the "burning skin" and crazy itching, that was unbearable and keeping me from getting more than a couple of hours sleep a night. It also gave me the random bruises that I had experienced early on, and freak skin rashes/hives etc sometimes.

I then upped the dose a little and kept to alternating days, and the bruises faded and did not return, and the burning skin and itching faded

over the next 3 weeks.

Other symptoms continued though, and then I thought maybe the alternating days thing was not working out, so I went back to about 1mg a day every day. 

I now still have very heavy symptoms and am getting desperate. 

Could it be that I have been in constant withdrawal for the whole 12 months, and I actually need to raise the dose a little, in order to bring the symptoms down to a level that doesn't bring so much pain and misery, and mean that I cannot work sometimes, and then try tapering from there? I was on Ami for 8 years solid, so I'm wondering if the nervous system changes that have taken place are very concrete, and it is taking so long to adjust and find balance?

I would really appreciate some advice and opinion on this please?

I have contacted to GP and have an appointment to speak on the phone with a doc this coming week, and I intend to ask him if I can get the liquid so I can be sure that I am getting an accurate dose. I am concerned that cutting the tablets and weighing them on digital scales is not reliable enough at these tiny doses.

Many thanks for any help.

N.B. Let me know if it's useful for you to know which symptoms I have been experiencing. I did not want to "clog up" the post by listing them.

• Administrator
On 4/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, kevatron said:

I did try going to "every other day" for a while, but this eventually led to a hardcore return of the "burning skin" and crazy itching, that was unbearable and keeping me from getting more than a couple of hours sleep a night. It also gave me the random bruises that I had experienced early on, and freak skin rashes/hives etc sometimes.

I then upped the dose a little and kept to alternating days, and the bruises faded and did not return, and the burning skin and itching faded

over the next 3 weeks.

What were the dates of this recent period when you were taking your dose every other day?

Hello. Thank you so much for replying. 

I started alternate days on Nov 11th 2022.

I realised months later that I had messed up as I kept the dose the same when I took it alternate days, which in effect meant a drop of 50% over time, which this was clearly a mistake. 

I upped the dose to make it a 10% reduction approx, on Jan 9th 2023, continuing with alternate days.

Bruising and itching and hives subsided by Feb 1st.

Still, after the crazy itching, bruising and hives etc went away, I continued to have other awful symptoms.

I went back to every day on March 17th in case the alternate days were the problem, but keeping the total dose the same overall - i.e. about 0.8 0.9mg ish a day. 

I did this until April 12th, still suffering with terrible symptoms, so this is when I decided to up the dose in desperation, to about 1.5mg a day. I'm waiting to see if this is going to back off the symptoms to something less horrendous. 

Thank you.

• Administrator
On 4/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, kevatron said:

I went back to every day on March 17th in case the alternate days were the problem, but keeping the total dose the same overall - i.e. about 0.8 0.9mg ish a day. 

Yes, alternate day dosing of amitriptyline could cause many difficulties.

On 4/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, kevatron said:

keeping the total dose the same overall

Please explain what you mean by "total dose". Do you mean the dose per day when you were skipping doses?

Thanks again for following up on this with me.

Re. Alternate day - thank you - I didn't know that and will not do it again!

re. "keeping total dose the same"

I went from taking 0.024 on the scales, every other day, to taking 0.012 on the scale every day.

0.014 on the scales is about 1mg (1 tenth of a 10 mg tablet).

Since April 12th I have been taking about 0.021 on the scale, every day - which is about 1.5mg.

I spoke with a GP today about getting hold of the liquid/solution and he was useless. He clearly has no idea about Ami and tapering etc - he is totally establishment under-educated on these matters.  He says they only have the 25mg/5ml solution which would not serve for the small doses and intended tapering I am looking to do slowly from here.

I have to try and find another way of getting a prescription for the liquid.

The scales already feel unreliable when dosing at 0.014. After 0.010 the scales become unable to even approximate well, to a consistent  dosage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 4/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, kevatron said:

I spoke with a GP today about getting hold of the liquid/solution and he was useless. He clearly has no idea about Ami and tapering etc - he is totally establishment under-educated on these matters.  He says they only have the 25mg/5ml solution which would not serve for the small doses

No, you can use this by diluting it and measuring with a 0.5mL or 1mL oral syringe. If he can order this, you might find it more convenient.

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

No, you can use this by diluting it and measuring with a 0.5mL or 1mL oral syringe. If he can order this, you might find it more convenient.

Ah - thanks - do you mean diluting it with plain water?