Techniques for Managing an Adverse Drug Reaction or Cold Turkey Withdrawal

Scrountz

• Shep pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

Absolutely incredible!! Thank you so much for posting this. I needed to hear this more than I could have ever known until the words softened my feelings of isolation and despair. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to post this and truly help a fellow sufferer.

2010 Started Lorazepam 7mg  2010 Started  Ritalin 80mg 

2016 CT Ritalin 2018 Startedtapering Lorazepam 2021 Lorazepam 1mg and currently holding 2020 Fall Sertraline 50-200mg

2023 March Started tapering Sertraline 200-100 March 100-50 April 50 May to June 2023 6/4/23 Completely off Sertraline 

Daily taking 0.25 mg Lorazepam in the morning 0.25 mg at noon 0.25 mg in the afternoon and 0.5 mg at bedtime

10mg Melatonin at bedtime for many years

500EPA/250DHA Omega 3 fish oil 1 tablet twice daily with meals

Twice a week roughly I soak in an epsom salt/ Magnesium sulfate bath.

Suggestions on magnesium welcomed!

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to ask what is the science or thinking on adverse reactions which are dose specific? I am not sure I understand how someone can suffer an adverse reaction as they taper and are on a lower dose than they started off with but don’t have any adverse reactions?

2018 April: Reinstated Paroxetine 20mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) after abrupt withdrawal of 6 months (lots of on off AD and other drugs use for years prior to this this).

2018 August: Began slow taper of Paroxetine. At 10mg severe headaches began, switched to 10mg Fluoxetine. Cont. on Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Occasional but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet.

2018 - 2023: ‘Stable’ on Fluoxetine 10mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Cont. but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet, switched sleeping tablet to manage addiction and achieve sleep. Began very occasional use of benzodiazepines by 2020 (eg. 2 dose of 10mg in a 9 month period, varies according to need and some months can be more). Cont. headaches, developed anxiety and other body pains. 
2023 (February) - Rapid 4 week taper in February from Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) to nil (mistakenly!).

2023 (March to present) - very infrequent use of sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines, diagnosed with hypothyroidism (April ish) and currently treated with Levothyroxine (final dose yet to be determined), began taper of Fluoxetine 10mg (June) currently on 8mg of fluoxetine. 
Also, still invariably take CBD oil, multiple vitamins and minerals including Omega 3, iron etc. Adjusted as needed. 

Note - Throughout the above years I have been an inpatient and outpatient with decisions made for me regarding drugs inc. abrupt withdrawals. Some were planned by me when unaware of withdrawal affects. Others while I was ‘unwell’ and began by unwittingly missing doses. Like many of us I have experienced many ‘symptoms’ on and off the drugs. Above, I have tried to share my main complaints and history as best as I can and remember.

My full drug history can be found in my opening post 

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

My words are based on my personal experiences and do not constitute medical advice or recommendations, except this: whatever any one else says, from medics to other patients, however informed, listen to your body as the human condition is always evolving, and in turn so is our knowledge on its limitations and capabilities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - 

I am really struggling with my situation which includes cold turkey. Is there where I post this for additional support? 

unknown amount of Seroquel taken briefly - cold turkey - given .5 MG ativan for several months to cope with unknown withdrawal - CT

December 2022 

.5 mg Xanax - horribly activating - given when was having hormone issues and could not sleep 

.5 Ativan to calm down as it worked in past took inconsistently and caused a TON of problems - depersonalization, increase in OCD

April 2022 - May 2022- went inpatient due to my own panic about Ativan (long story) - facility took me from 20 MG Valium to 0 in three weeks. Was given host of medications while there but "stabilized" on 50-75 MG Trazodone, 50 MG Seroquel, and 300 MG Gabapentin 

June 28th 2023 Advised by doctor to lower Trazodone to 50 MG and cold turkey Seroquel due to muscle stiffness reported

September 16th 2023  - HUGE CRASH - full on akathisia - reinstated 2 MG of Seroquel and this immediately stopped. Was suffering terribly for several weeks - time felt like it moved slowly, burning, incomprehensible anxiety, depression, despair. Doctor advised increased Gabapentin 100 MG in AM and 100 MG in PM and continued reinstatement of Seroquel 

Current: 

35 MCG Synthroid, 8 AM 100 MG Gabapentin, 2 PM 100 MG Gabapentin, 9:45 PM 300 MG Gabapentin, 50 MG Trazodone, 3 calms forte tablets, and 12.5 MG Seroquel (decided on this dose for reinstatement) 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this incredibly inspiring post. I cannot count the times reading it has kept me going. Now that things have gone from terrible to bad, it is easier for me to follow these guidelines. When I was at my worst, reading this was literally one of the things that kept me alive. Thank you,

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this post. Reading it on another sleepless night, helping me soothe and giving me hope. May we all continue to face the days and nights with patient endurance until the neurological repair takes place for us!

Protracted withdrawal from Lexapro- on SSRI's for 22 years. CT at 2.5mg after 10 month taper September 2023. Bad idea. Currently severe nausea- chronic, insomnia/sleeplessness, pain, fatigue, burning sensations. Trying to suffer well, find hope during this time of neurological repair. 

Current Meds:

Lamictal 25mg-holding

Klonopin currently 0.039 2 x daily- liquid micro-tapering

Mirtazapine 3.75mg q pm- holding

My goal is hyperbolic tapering for as many years as needed to come off all meds. 

Agree, thanks for this post. These words and strategies are all you have sometimes which gives you hope. Let's hope that with time and patience it will get better for us one day. 

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

2022 May - 62,5mg (doctor wanted to increase). Felt sick, went back to 50mg efter 2 weeks

2022 Oct - Reducing dose to 37,5mg (from 50mg). WD in few days, advised to go back to 50 - I then got adverse worse paradoxical effect

2022 Oct - Zoloft 50mg severe side effects/adverse reaction

2023 May 5th - Reducing dose to 25mg (directly from 50mg by Dr, WD).

2023 Aug 1st - Reducing dose to 12,5mg 

2023 Oct 10th - Removed dose from 12mg to zero by Dr. Tried reinstate citalopram after 3 months didnt work bad reaction. In Terrible WD.

Use melatonin 4mg. Lergigan 5mg. Omega 3, D-vitamin, magnesium glycinate, zink.

• 2 weeks later...

I will read this daily to keep me going!  Wish I knew how to get the above post out to others who are having a real hard time in their waves. 

On Venlafaxine for 30 years, 150mg

2018 first tapered, over 2 months, horrible crashed, reinstated 3 months later

February 2023, tapering again, every 4 weeks reduced by 50%  150mg down to 37:5mg 

June 2023, from 37.5, broke open capsule, started tapering by one bead at a time every 2 weeks 

August, 2023 stopped last bead. 
Nov, 2023, started Saint John Wort, 600mg, 3x a day = 1800mg  -

reduced 1 capsules 300mg on Feb 15, 2024

Supplements, 

magnesium bisglycinate, B complex, multivitamin, Omega 3 complex, Vitamin D3, digestive enzymes

also, use L-Theanine, occasionally natural GABA,  - stopped this in Jan 2024

For H.Pylori- Manuka Honey, 850mgo, Mastica Chios gum, Kefir, & probiotics 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy