☼ moonbow0202: effexor and remeron withdrawal

moonbow0202

Romido,

Thanks for asking.

When I got the liquid SAMe I was taking a total of 760 mg. This was close to what I had been trying to take with the pills which I couldn't cut precisely. I stayed there for a week then dropped to 680 mg (about 11/16). I had an effexor WD type reaction the first day. I got woozy wooshy and buzzy and then very tired and couldn't stay awake.

12/1 620 mg

12/8 560 mg

I got a little woozy and buzzy and I did get tired but i managed to stay awake the last two times. i have started getting an appetite back and my stomach isn't really upset most of the time. I'm also starting to get some energy back.

My back has been hurting since I dropped to 620 , I didn't attribute it to WD initially. I do have some back problems from scoliosis but this has been different. From the base of my skull down most of my back has been very tight, painfully so. I will hold the SAMe and let my back catch up.

I've also noticed noise sensitivity this last week, another WD symptom very familiar from the effexor WD.

As far as panic symptoms, it's hard to tell SAMe WD from prolonged effexor and remeron WD. Morning panic has gotten much better since I am being more diligent about fish Oil. I'm taking 2160 of EPA+DHA.

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

Romido that is really weird you said you had headaches and felt like your brain was rewiring. I've been saying that all week. I've been having tingling in my head and headaches and I swear I think (hope) its my brain healing. I'm 6 mos out on the 19th.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2895-antoinette-lexapro-withdrawal/page__p__31234__hl__antoinette__fromsearch__1#entry31234

Lexapro for 10 years

Cold turkeyed in April 2012

Reinstated and had severe adverse reaction in may of 2012

Antionette, the headaches are intense for me, like nothing I have ever felt before. Today I have a headache but it's more like a tension headache, so maybe that's a good sign the retiring is letting up! I swear I used to be able to feel the hemispheres in my brain ache in different regions! At six months, I remember I was still pretty fried.

Moonbow, Sam-e withdrawals made me have severe insomnia for months. It really chopped up my sleep. Interesting you are drowsy. I noticed I started feeling better as my sleep improved, so hopefully that's a good sign for you. I look at sleep as brain repair time! I haven't been able to tolerate fish oil, it gives me insomnia (as do most things I am sensitive to), so I can't take it. Keep going, you will be off Sam-e soon! Good for you for tapering, I wish I had!!

R

I attribute the fatigue to the 560 mg of SAMe that I'm still on. That would fit with your insomnia during SAMe WD.

i got a stomach virus this week. I have gotten sick a few times with a cold, Flu, or other bug during WD. I don't realize I'm getting sick until i'm really bad. I generally feel like I'm coming down with something. I'm looking forward to when I can tell i'm getting sick.

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

I swear I used to be able to feel the hemispheres in my brain ache in different regions

Yeah, it's weird low localized the head aches are, isn't it? I wonder what's going on there.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I saw my integrative psychiatrist yesterday. On the plus side, I am still her patient so I still have a way to get the Remeron I need.

Much of the appointment was very frustrating.

According to my psychiatrist:

Length of time spent withdrawing from ADs does not matter healing does not really occur until you are completely off of antidepressants and then it takes a year for your body to recover.

My researching long term effects of AD withdrawal is a coping mechanism and not helpful. I think I'm experiencing symptoms because I'm on message boards.

I would be doing fine if I were doing my energy exercises. (see earlier post http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3110-moonbow0202-effexor-and-remeron-withdrawal/page__view__findpost__p__35008)

Morning panic is a result of the lack of the lack of direction my life has.

I told her about sensitivity to serotonergic substances and about the headaches, upset stomach and lack of appetite I am having from the SAMe. She said I could drop to 400 mg SAMe. I plan on going completely off of the SAMe eventually. I'm already tapering slowly.

I'm so grateful for this forum.

I'm late to your thread. Thought I'd pop in after you posted in the acceptance thread.

This bit from your doc makes me want to pop her in the head and I'm not a violent person but these docs are the main root of the problem with their indoctrination to the belief that meds are good and do no harm. What a bunch of tools that they can't even open their eyes and see that people could have problems getting off these meds. Of course, that would be bye bye to their money train. Same for big pharma.

It's a sad day when wacky scientologists turn out to be right about the psych drugs but look crazy for it (of course that's probably related to them calling it a religion which is based on aliens). Still, I have to wonder about how topsy turvy the world is when they're mainly the only ones, aside from those of us that live through it and those close to us who witness it with any kind of openness, (rather than saying it's because we're not on the meds) that admit there's a problem and these drugs are dangerous. If I had the money, I'd start something to inform people about the suffering caused by these meds. I'd put up you tube videos from everyone willing to participate. I'd trash the psychiatric community and call them on their do no harm principle which they break every time they prescribe these poisons... but ah, to dream...

I hope you're feeling better, having a better time of it.

• Administrator

I agree with starlite!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

i met with my psychiatrist yesterday. I really tried to prepare myself for approaching the appointment with a positive outlook. I maintained this better than the last visit although at times the voice in my head was yelling at her "just shut up" and "stop being stupid".

When I told her that i was holding on the SAMe because my back was hurting in a different way, she told me I needed to stop blaming every problem that I had on meds. She said that my back hurt because of something going on in my life, even if i wasn't aware of what that something was.

I told her that I had come to some gratitude pretty quickly after having a meltdown on the support site I was on. The look on her face when I mention online support is really pretty funny.

I have not told her about my efforts towards starting a F2F (face to face) meeting. On that note, the other member of this site who I've been in touch with and i are scouting locations.

Sometime soon I want to start a general topic in symptoms and self care about starting F2F support groups.

Good for you.

Personally, I'm all for the throwing it in her face how these meds suck and are making things worse. Even if you are her only patient that does it, the fact that you don't fit the bill, that the meds made you worse and you got better off them after WD is going to sit there like an infected splinter in her finger.

• Administrator

Sometime soon I want to start a general topic in symptoms and self care about starting F2F support groups.

Great idea. The Actions forum would be the place for it.

Perhaps next time you see this doctor, you could open up a discussion about a relationship of mutual respect. It's possible she'll get the hint.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Great idea. The Actions forum would be the place for it.

Actions forum it is.

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted in a few months. I've continued with yoga classes 2x a week and it helps. i'm not exactly graceful, by balance isn't the best, but I'm gradually improving. Yesterday I "came out" in my yoga class and told them I have been getting off ADs and going through WD.

I could no longer afford to see the integrative psychiatrist due, in part, to changes in my insurance. Overall, it's a good thing. We had not been agreeing on much. i was forced to try and find another doctor. I found a psychiatrist with some holistic leanings who has agreed to help me with my goal of getting off the meds. My first appointment will be at the end of this month.

I increased my remeron about a month ago to 7.5 because I was severely depressed. I also reinstated SAMe to the level it had been before my last decrease. My mood improved, I don't know if the SAMe or Remeron had anything to do with it. Actually, a therapist visit did help a lot.

I'm taking the SAMe WD very slowly, 10 of current dose or less. The SAMe liquid I have is the equivalent of 20 mg. The primary WD symptom is back pain that lasts for 7 days +/_ 3 days. I do have back pain due to some scoliosis but when I lower the SAMe it is a different kind of pain. it's a solid pain that starts at the base of my skull and goes down and all across my back. It feels like my fascia is very tight and painful.

Here is a plan I am considering presenting to the new psychiatrist.

Reinstate Effexor @ 30 mg (possibly as much as 75 mg) and hold

Continue with SAMe reduction - possibly much quicker since the symptom I'm having is back pain and the Effexor may combat that

after a few stable months start lowering Remeron very slowly

After completing the Remeron WD and when I'm stable, lower Effexor

I've done a couple of Effexorreinstatements which got me out of severe depressions. The integrative psychiatrist would tell me it was placebo effect and to stop cold turkey.

I didn't have any Effexor left to reinstate on my own and Dr. wouldn't give me a scrip.

If I had followed a 10% of current dose per month detox, I would currently be on 30 mg Effexor and 7.5 mg Remeron. ( I didn't want it to take that long - that sure would have been easier)

The negative mood effect of mirtazapine decreases was a lot less when I was still on the Effexor.

I've been on the Effexor the longest.

My therapist doesn't want me to go back on Effexor. He thinks I can ride out my problems. Sometimes I agree with him. Other times, I feel like i can't take it anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

moonbow, if your plan is to reinstate effexor, is it possible to find a Dr to prescribe it before you see the new psychiatrist? If you are not seeing this new Dr until the end of the month, the window to reinstate might close.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

moonbow, if your plan is to reinstate effexor, is it possible to find a Dr to prescribe it before you see the new psychiatrist? If you are not seeing this new Dr until the end of the month, the window to reinstate might close.

A month ago I was ready to go to my GP and beg to be put on effexor. I think my GP would be reluctant to prescribe effexor since I'm already on remeron, 7.5 mg and SAMe, 460 mg. With fairly low dose of both remeron and Same i don't think there's any risk of serotonin syndrome but a GP might be afraid. My GP is very hard to get an appointment with.

I guess I'm not sure I want to reinstate.

• 1 year later...

Moon,

How are you doing now?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

moonbow, how are you?

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I posted.While this site has been enormously helpful, online communication frequently leaves me feeling lonely. 

I've been completely psych med free for something like 20 months.I have anxiety and low mood issues that can be quite bothersome sometimes. Herbal adrenal support has helped with the anxiety - it brought my resting pulse rate down 10 points.

I've been struggling with a low mood lately - mostly  related to trying to figure my life out.

My dog is also med free and is doing well.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8978-75-mo-off-all-psych-meds-im-ok-the-world-round-me-is-crazy/

• Administrator

Where would you say you are now compared to 3 years ago, moonbow? How often do you have waves of anxiety?

Alto,

Thanks so much for asking that question.I am so much better than I was three years ago! I may struggle with my mood and sometimes, like today, it may feel pretty bad but it is not that overwhelming darkness that occurred during WD. It is also not nearly as bad as what would occur when I was on antidepressants.

Today, med free, I have the ability to do things to stop the progression towards a depressive state.And unlike when I was on antidepressants doing things to help myself actually work now! 

Your question made me realize how much more functional I am in general.

The anxiety comes pretty frequently but it's nothing like the morning panics of early WD. In fact, I've done some pretty scary new things the last couple of months. I could never have done theses things in early WD.

Wow Moonbow so glad to read that you and your dog are med free and doing well at 20 months off.

Im sure things will  continue to improve ..

Don't forget to do the 2 yr update.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I just put a reminder in my calendar to do a 2 year update. I'm going to make an effort to visit here more often. I am thrilled to see the members near you section! 

• Mentor

Thanks Moonbow, I love your thread, only two pages, and wow, look how far you have come. Fantastic, please remember that update, you are giving me hope.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 1 year later...

really needed to read this thread it gives a lot of hope, great to see moonbow recovered after being on a high dose of venlafaxine and other psych drugs for over 15 years, well done!

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• 2 years later...

Moonbow,

How is life now after all these years? I'm coming off Remeron (and others) and this thread is a beacon of hope to me. 

General history:

2005 - Present: Remeron, various dosage between 7.5mg to 30mg

2011 - 2014: Lexapro, 10/20mg

2014 - 2016: Zoloft, various dosages

2016 - 2018: Pristiq, various dosages

2018 - Present: Brintellix 10/20mg,  

2019: Klonopin, 0.125mg as needed. Successfully got off of it in December. Concerta XR, stopped in December.

November 2019 - January 2020: Latuda 9mg

December 2019 - Present: 30mg Dextroamphetamine (for ADHD, don't plan to get off of that for now) 

Updates: 

Brintellix: Reduced to 10mg in December 2019. Reduced to 5mg in January 2020. Upped to 7.5mg in February 2020.

So, currently: 7.5mg Remeron, 7.5mg Brintellix

• Administrator

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ moonbow0202: effexor and remeron withdrawal