cmusic: A long history and finally saying enough

cmusic

Thanks. But how do I know what is real and what is bogus. For example I've been told I have candida for years but I couldn't tolerate a systemic antifungal or the diet right now. I'm losing so much weight just trying to be gluten free. Adrenal fatigue is another thing they always talk about. So I don't even know what Id look for or how to filter it. And all the supplements. I've had no ability to tolerate anything - not even omega 3.

I have changed my diet but there is no way I can be perfect on that front. Too weak and struggling to put one foot in front of the other. I am trying to get exercise 3 times a week. I don't get restful sleep but that is what it is.

I'm afraid when you say get serious about treating physical issues I could go down a lot of roads that could make me worse. I know the functional medicine play book and I don't really trust it - how do I know what is actually real?

Thanks.

Started on Zoloft in 2002
Switched to Lexapro in 2005
Switched to Prozac in 2008
Off Prozac abruptly in 2010 (a mistake) - crashed
Lexapro end of 2010 - didn't work
Effexor until 2012 - roller coaster from hell
Back to Prozac November 2012 - one last rise and fall
Quit Prozac 01/13

Reinstated Prozac 5mg 05/13
Trial of 7.5 Remeron for one month 06/13, then off

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Reduced to 4mg Prozac 8/15/13

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cmusic

• Altostrata

• FeelingAlone

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Deal with the IBS and other symptoms that are not ambiguous.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you. One more question - does cortisol surprise the immune system or symptoms of being sick? Is there any reason to believe I wouldn't be able to fight off infection the same as I did before? I have a fungal infection of the toenails - always have. It has gotten worse. I can't get rid of it without risky oral antifungal medication. If this is the type of infection one must be free of in order to heal from withdrawal I would be stuck. Does a person have to be free of all systemic infection to heal? I can take some steps but not something like harsh antifungals or antivirals. Thanks for the insight.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• Administrator

No, you do not have to be free of all systemic infection to heal. Elevated cortisol tends to elevate resistance to infection.

About IBS, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2318-irritable-bowel-syndrome-gut-bacteria-and-what-you-can-do/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks. Funny this mentions SIBO. I recently did the breath test and it was negative. But I had changed my diet and cut gluten prior to that. Maybe that helped. Anyway will try to find a different doctor.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• Administrator

Use common sense first. Please read the link I posted above.

Thanks. I have been tested for food allergies and actually seem to have them to oats, yeast, and coffee (which is a complete downer). I don't eat those things anymore but I wonder if igg antibody tests are the most reliable things anyway. There's a different test called MRT that may be better - there's a place around here that does it and it's expensive but may be worth it.

http://iwellnesscenter.com/specialties/food-sensitivities/2016-2

I have no idea if being gluten free is helping since I only had a slight igg allergy to it. Same level as cucumbers. It's making my life impossible as I can't have a normal piece of bread. I'm too scared to change that right now though. May try to slowly reintroduce.

Fiber supplements unfortunately have oats. I have been on them before. I may try to find one that isn't oats based. I have added a lot of fruits and veggies to my diet. But sugar is stimulating so fruit I have read is not great. Who knows.

Last there's the whole candida thing. I have bad the history if antibiotics as a kid and show many of the 'symptoms' but like I said can't eliminate all carbs and all that right now because I'm at my all time lowest weight. And you need more than just diet to get better with that and it still may not ever go away. I don't think I will go down that road right now - unless someone shows me a definitive test for it - which I haven't heard of.

I really just want to eat non processed, balanced and reasonable. I will say that my gut had gotten a lot better since going gluten free and changing my diet in other ways - I just wonder how much is the actual gluten vs the overall change to healthy foods.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• Moderator Emeritus

There are gluten-free breads and crackers on the market so you don't have to do without altogether.  I buy a gluten-free bread made from brown rice flour, brand name 'Food for Life", which I get at Trader Joe's, but there are several supermarket chains around here that sell it. There's another brand called 'Glutino' that I haven't yet tried, and probably others.

Gluten intolerance affects a lot of people and it can do a great deal of damage before any symptoms become apparent.  I'm not sure that the test you had is the right one for gluten intolerance, which is not an allergy in the usual sense.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

How about getting the bowel movements regular and adding probiotics for general gut health? This might not solve the entire problem, but it might help a little.

Often antibiotics kill off gut bacteria and this starts the whole cycle of infection, candida, etc.

Hi....getting the probiotics is a plus.  I have had issues with candida and the probiotics really helped.  They help with what Alto called the "engine room" of our bodies (loved it).  It should help with the IBS too.

I have found that I blame alot of WD when in fact I have had a viral or bacterial infection.  There is a virus going around down here.  A number of my friends have had it.  Chills, fatigue, stomach not right, etc.

I hope you feel better soon:)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you. One more question - does cortisol surprise the immune system or symptoms of being sick? Is there any reason to believe I wouldn't be able to fight off infection the same as I did before? I have a fungal infection of the toenails - always have. It has gotten worse. I can't get rid of it without risky oral antifungal medication. If this is the type of infection one must be free of in order to heal from withdrawal I would be stuck. Does a person have to be free of all systemic infection to heal? I can take some steps but not something like harsh antifungals or antivirals. Thanks for the insight.

I know a woman that tried everything, including oral med for toenail fungus. It didn't work and she's not in WD. I've heard that Neem oil could possibly help. I agree on the probiotics, too. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Administrator

Tea tree oil in a footbath might help foot fungus.

Has anyone used turmeric? It acts like an antidepressant but also does a bunch of other stuff. I'm pretty desperate so looking for lesser of evils that could help bridge me for a while. Does this help? Can the benefit wear off over time?

Things are getting worse and worse. Really need something or gonna be hospitalized.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

I use turmeric in a casual kind of way, just add it to my homemade salad dressing and anything else where it might fit. I think it especially works to decrease inflammation, which some believe is linked to depression. It needs to be taken with black pepper to increase bioavailability. I went to a seminar by an integrative psychiatrist...I believe he said the dose was about 1.25 tsp. with .25 tsp pepper three times a day. In India, where it is used extensively, they put it in milk. I am not waking up any more with the arthritis in my back hurting, but that's about all I know.

This doctor suggested tracking C-reactive protein (CRP) as a measure of inflammation and thereby an objective measure of progress. Dr. Brogan also suggested this.

Good luck...I am sorry this has been such a long haul.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks. As a supplement it's more powerful and mixed with black pepper. Problem is it's a weak MAOI. I'd hAte to get on something like this only to find that you have to wean of it - and how would you even taper it. But if it helps it's better than a pharmaceutical I guess.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

That's interesting...and scary! Wish I could send you a good doctor to walk through all this!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I so wish too. Feels like there is nothing and no one that can help. Fear is so out if control it's bordering on psychotic. Can't process anything. Getting very scary intrusive thoughts that get stronger as I get more scared of them. It's like my brain and nerves are on fire.

Can't get away from thoughts about this for more than a few seconds. Wonder if it's ever going to end. Wonder if Prozac at low dose is keeping me this way or making me worse.

If there is anything I can do with a severely sensitive nervous system if it helps I will do it. Holding is not helping I'm getting worse and worse. Don't think I can increase Prozac because of the agitation and burning. Thinking about trying to switch it to something less stimulating and wean off that. Very very desperate here.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• Moderator Emeritus
Fear is so out if control it's bordering on psychotic. Can't process anything. Getting very scary intrusive thoughts that get stronger as I get more scared of them. It's like my brain and nerves are on fire.

I've experienced this extreme fear lots of times over the past 2 years, generally, I get some version of it every morning.  The worst of it for me was the first 6 months after I 'crashed'.

The only thing which works for me, when it gets this bad is to eliminate as much external stimulation as possible, by laying in a darkened, quiet room, then just focusing on my breathing.  Just watching my breath as it gently flows in and out.  If that's not enough to stop the thoughts, then I will 'chant', in my mind something calming like in/out, in time with my breath, or, 'its ok'.

I find that it also helps me to calm down by looking around at my surroundings right now and realizing that in this moment I am safe and have what I need - air to breathe, water, food, warmth and nothing is trying to harm me.

I don't think that changing your medication right now would help, it would probably destabilize your nervous system more.  I've been off all medication since May, and I still experience extreme symptoms, but within the windows/waves pattern, its slowly improving.  In my opinion, its got more to do with allowing time for our nervous system to become stable with whatever medication we are taking or not taking, rather than a particular amount of medication being 'right'.

Like me, you've been on and off a lot of different medications for years, this takes a toll and in my opinion, contributes to a more difficult experience of withdrawal.

I wish I could offer more help, but you are not alone.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

What is the relationship of your symptoms to the time you take Prozac? Are you taking any other drugs, even over-the-counter drugs?

Hi Alto,

It's really hard to tell. I tried taking it in the morning and thought a few hours later the burning was worse. So then I tried to split it - morning and evening - but now it just feels like I constantly have it. The hands arms head burning, fever feeling and low grade on and off, the many other things I have listed.

Emotionally I am getting worse. Having really really bad thoughts and images that I can't get rid of. Can't get out of my head for a minute.

Prozac is so long acting that it's almost impossible to tell if I'm having a reaction to it. I have tried to skip days - sometimes it feels a little better but other times it doesn't.

I fear trying to reduce this any further because if I worsen it may not be safe for me or my family. But if it is keeping me so severe I won't ever get better. My last cut was from 4 to 3.6 back in the middle of October but with Prozac it takes months to get out of your system anyway. I just don't see how to do this safely.

I really need help. It is unfortunate that there isn't anyone out there near Boston. I don't feel like I can trust myself to be safe anymore.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Oh and I'm taking absolutely nothing else.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• Administrator

When you split it the burning got more constant?

I honestly can't tell. There has not been one thing since all this started for me that has been understandable or had any sense of control.

I thought when I reinstated this summer the burning and physical stuff started. But before that I had some of it when I took b vitamins and who knows - maybe it was just starting anyway. Things definitely got worse physically when of out in the Prozac and tried the Remeron.

I thought it was getting better after lowering Prozac from 5 to 4 but again who knows. It could all be related to having or not having a cold or infection and not the drug. Or the drug could be contributing. It's impossible to tell.

I was taking the full dose in the morning. I would get high anxiety and burning and all that mid day - but I thought I was getting some relief at night. Now I don't get any relief. But the level in my body has also been going down steadily (because of the long half life) so thats another variable.

The hardest part now is that I am getting very intrusive obsessive incessant thoughts about very bad things. I feel so detached from reality that it's hard to feel like I can control myself. Keeping my attention on the real world is becoming impossible - I'm trapped in my head. The thoughts keep coming harder and harder. I don't know how to handle this.

It makes it harder because of safety. If the Prozac is making me like this, torturing my brain and nerves, I need to be off. But if it's holding back the worst then removing it could make me worse and that would be a nightmare scenario. So this is just - again - an impossible situation.

Nothing about this has been controllable or understandable. I'm not sure I know the answer.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• Administrator

It sounds to me like you are having an adverse reaction to Prozac. Has it helped you at all??

I would take it only once a day and reduce the dosage by .4mg to start.

• 1 year later...
  • Mentor

This may or may not be encouraging... Are you familiar with GiaK on this forum? She has the website beyondmeds.com. She found and recommended a book on chronic fatigue syndrome, believing the author's hypothesis has a lot of correlation with prolonged AD withdrawal. It is about $10 for the Kindle version on Amazon. You can see Gia's notes in the book section of this forum. Best, Meimei

I truly believe I have this chronic fatigue syndrome, my worst WD .........  but I KNOW it is a WD

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

Good luck cmusic, hang in there. You may not notice it, but you have improved from the first posting.  How was your Christmas?

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I haven't written here in a very long time. It's been about a year and a half. I was getting so traumatized I couldn't keep coming to the site. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people that went away because I got better.  In fact I have seen very few improvements and a lot worsening. I have a new test result that prompted me to post here again.  I am hoping with the depth of experienced people here there might be something that can be offered that will provide hope for me.

When I had posted last I had tried and failed to reinstate Prozac at a very low dose. I spent six months getting off the last 4 mg input back, going off completely one year ago. I have been off everything for a year.

At the time I was developing all kinds of physical symptoms in addition to the emotional terror, severe depression, PTSD, ocd. The physical symptoms have progressed to the point where I can barely move or function. I have a list of about 30 physical symptoms that are just too overwhelming to try and inventory anymore.  They resemble Fibro/CFIDS and other conditions. It spans neurological, immune, muscular, everything. Constant flashing energy shooting through my nerves, can see it in my eyes like flashing, nerve pain everywhere, tension and burning in my muscles that exhausts them, sleep is completely unrestful, I get severely worse when I get a virus, can't exert myself without serious repercussions, freezing cold limbs, chills, numbness, constant agitation, brain fog beyond description, really bad low heart rate, and blurred vision, the list goes on and on.

I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist which I think means nothing. I also meet the criteria for CFIDS according to my doctor.  And bradycardia and raynauds. But then I went and got autonomic testing which consisted of sweat testing, breathing tests, and a tilt table along with a small fiber biopsy. I got diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy. The biopsy was ok though, hadn't visibly lost nerve density in my skin. But the functional tests were abnormal.

Then the neurologist ordered some high end testing that my PCP didn't even think was necessary but I wanted to do. I thought they would be negative but one came back positive. Apparently I have antibodies to something called glutamic acid decarboxylase. My understanding is that this is an autoimmune reaction to the enzyme that converts glutamate to gaba. I don't fully understand this but recall that  glutamate / gaba imbalance is core to what we suffer from. However I always thought it was just receptor down / up regulation. This test result seems to indicate autoimmune neurological disorders such as autoimmune dysautonomia. And I've read that people with seizure like activity and other disorders can have this.

Needless to say my entire paradigm for how I view withdrawal and my prospects for recovery has changed. If this is in fact an autoimmune condition triggered by the cold turkeys / drugs like cipro or other / and trauma it is scary beyond comprehension. I am suffering at a level of intensity that is very severe and it's been a year off the last bit of Prozac and 2  years off benzos and high dose AD's.  I have not had any real 'windows' and I cannot even imagine this being how my life will be indefinitely. I'm not even 40 and won't make it much longer if this doesn't at least get less severe.  The best I can say is that a couple of times, for brief periods, a seem to be less depressed.

I have changed my diet again - not perfect but mostly organic, low grains, fruits and meats and veggies. I have tried supplements with little success - b vitamins cause all sorts of problems but can tolerate probiotics and vitamin c. I meditate every day as best I can, trying to find reasons to keep going. But losing my will.

I'm reaching out to the people here because if anyone would have an idea of whether this is withdrawal induced and / or autoimmune and whether it can heal it would be you guys. I haven't found anyone with more insight into the real physical reasons for this suffering. So I'd like to understand if anyone has heard of this or might have a perspective on it. Doctors will not take withdrawal into account when rendering an opinion and if they tell me it's gonna stay like this I will freak out even more. I am really losing hope and I'm looking for some light here.

If some of the veterans could chime in here it would be huge for me. I thank you for your thoughts and hope everyone here is surviving.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Anyone have thoughts or words of support?

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Progressing Physical Symptoms and new diagnoses - fibro/CFIDS/neuro-autoimmune

Hello.

I haven't written here in a very long time. It's been about a year and a half.

Here is a link to my introductory post and history...http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3677-cmusic-a-long-history-and-finally-saying-enough/?hl=cmusic

I was getting so traumatized I couldn't keep coming to the site. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people that went away because I got better.  In fact I have seen very few improvements and a lot worsening. I have a new test result that prompted me to post here again.  I am hoping with the depth of experienced people here there might be something that can be offered that will provide hope for me.

When I had posted last I had tried and failed to reinstate Prozac at a very low dose. I spent six months getting off the last 4 mg input back, going off completely one year ago. I have been off everything for a year.

At the time I was developing all kinds of physical symptoms in addition to the emotional terror, severe depression, PTSD, ocd. The physical symptoms have progressed to the point where I can barely move or function. I have a list of about 30 physical symptoms that are just too overwhelming to try and inventory anymore.  They resemble Fibro/CFIDS and other conditions. It spans neurological, immune, muscular, everything. Constant flashing energy shooting through my nerves, can see it in my eyes like flashing, nerve pain everywhere, tension and burning in my muscles that exhausts them, sleep is completely unrestful, I get severely worse when I get a virus, can't exert myself without serious repercussions, freezing cold limbs, chills, numbness, constant agitation, brain fog beyond description, really bad low heart rate, and blurred vision, the list goes on and on.

I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist which I think means nothing. I also meet the criteria for CFIDS according to my doctor.  And bradycardia and raynauds. But then I went and got autonomic testing which consisted of sweat testing, breathing tests, and a tilt table along with a small fiber biopsy. I got diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy. The biopsy was ok though, hadn't visibly lost nerve density in my skin. But the functional tests were abnormal.

Then the neurologist ordered some high end testing that my PCP didn't even think was necessary but I wanted to do. I thought they would be negative but one came back positive. Apparently I have antibodies to something called glutamic acid decarboxylase. My understanding is that this is an autoimmune reaction to the enzyme that converts glutamate to gaba. I don't fully understand this but recall that  glutamate / gaba imbalance is core to what we suffer from. However I always thought it was just receptor down / up regulation. This test result seems to indicate autoimmune neurological disorders such as autoimmune dysautonomia. And I've read that people with seizure like activity and other disorders can have this.

Needless to say my entire paradigm for how I view withdrawal and my prospects for recovery has changed. If this is in fact an autoimmune condition triggered by the cold turkeys / drugs like cipro or other / and trauma it is scary beyond comprehension. I am suffering at a level of intensity that is very severe and it's been a year off the last bit of Prozac and 2  years off benzos and high dose AD's.  I have not had any real 'windows' and I cannot even imagine this being how my life will be indefinitely. I'm not even 40 and won't make it much longer if this doesn't at least get less severe.  The best I can say is that a couple of times, for brief periods, a seem to be less depressed.

I have changed my diet again - not perfect but mostly organic, low grains, fruits and meats and veggies. I have tried supplements with little success - b vitamins cause all sorts of problems but can tolerate probiotics and vitamin c. I meditate every day as best I can, trying to find reasons to keep going. But losing my will.

I'm reaching out to the people here because if anyone would have an idea of whether this is withdrawal induced and / or autoimmune and whether it can heal it would be you guys. I haven't found anyone with more insight into the real physical reasons for this suffering. So I'd like to understand if anyone has heard of this or might have a perspective on it. Doctors will not take withdrawal into account when rendering an opinion and if they tell me it's gonna stay like this I will freak out even more. I am really losing hope and I'm looking for some light here.

If some of the veterans could chime in here it would be huge for me. I thank you sincerely for your thoughts and hope everyone here is surviving.

Edited by Petunia
added title from merged topic

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

i neither feel qualified nor experienced enough to suggest the root of your issues, but i do know that issues like auto-immune neurology (or, neuropathy, if you wanna put it that way), fibromyalgia, and psychotropic withdrawal all share symptoms and some measure of causality and thus a clear distinction, causally, might be impossible, and withdrawal can trigger either of the other of those three.

i found your post very interesting, though horrifying---im quite sorry its taking such a toll, and i can empathize with wondering how long one can bother continuing when its that severe for that long.  but, interesting because i suffer from auto-immune issues (covering everything from canker sores and reynauds to digestive problems to muscular problems), protracted withdrawal issues, and am going to be seeing a rheumatologist on multiple professional recommendations because many of my symptoms even predating withdrawal can fall into the fibro family.  (my sister was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and severe sleep apnea as well, so perhaps a puzzle is being assembled here.)

my withdrawal experience has not focused more on the mental than the physical, or vice versa, and the comprehensive level of coordinated and disabling symptoms do seem to suggest there is more than one factor at play for both you and i.  i think it might be that we have certain biological susceptibilities, either in pre-extant conditions or the potential therefor, and the trauma and complication of withdrawal can trip some serious wires and bring the ceiling down.  and, in such cases, treating and healing from the withdrawal does not necessarily re-establish the previous equilibrium---we are left with more to treat or cope with.

i really wish i had better advice in terms of treatment and recovery, but science knows next to nothing coherent about withdrawal, most auto-immune diseases, and neurological based problems like most seizures, and, while ive been experiencing all these things, i havent found anything curative or that i would recommend as a good idea for anyone else to try.  im sure some other people on here are more studied and experienced and can at least make some recommendations.

throughout all this, ive kind of been trending towards the supremacy of imagination and conceptualization when it comes to life experience and illness.  maybe im just batty, or maybe this is all our sustained illusion and exercising more healthful decisions is a 'spiritual' issue as much as it is a matter of physical tangibility.  i say this just because i feel there is a chance you can recover, mostly or fully, but that maybe an important aspect of that recovery is your own self-conceptualization.  sometimes i wonder if all illness is a metaphor, in expression or experience.  i dont mean to pontificate, i really have no idea, but i wanted to at least offer my support in all of this, and explain why i think there is hope.

speaking of the spiritual, you mention a lot of dietary changes and such, and your thread mentions holistic medicine and someone also mentioned acupuncture, back in 2013.  have you ever tried acupuncture, and did it help at all?  (and were you ever given any meditative lessons or herbal remedies/treatments, aside?)  acupuncture and other eastern methods are one of the most effective ways to help regulate your immune system and brain functioning for a lot of people struggling with some of these issues (fibro, neurological upset, etc).  seeing someone you can be very specific with regarding your conditions might involve a custom-tailored regimen aimed at balancing your personal system.

i know the science is pretty solid on a lot of eastern methods, but i considered it a sort of last-ditch effort in my own withdrawal, and did not pursue it after the first session because of the cost and how little it seemed to help at the time.  but i consider it a valuable tool to look into for most people, and it often takes multiple sessions to really kick in.  i feel like your system is probably in extreme disarray, and a lot of external factors will probably not be capable of bringing true balance (drugs and foods and such, even if they can help provide biological supplies for recovery and toxic-removal).  we can regulate our own hormone levels, neurotransmitter activity, blood pressure, etc to various degrees, given the training and mindfulness, and i think one of your best allies is your own self.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

I read a lot of your previous posts and I can tell you that I have come down with an autoimmune disease at the exact time the paxil pooped out on me. I now am blessed with psoriatic arthritis and now slight psoriasis that no one in any side of my family have or have had. It is mostly genetic. So there is some kind of autoimmune thing definitely happening with these poisons. I never got sick for ten years on paxil and before paxil for thirty years I would get cold sores a few times each year EVERY YEAR of my life so I think this poison basically ramps up our immune system to a point where things can go wrong. I have a question for you, I read some of your old posts and you complained about hands being overly sensitive, I never had a problem with picking hot cups of coffee or tea and now I can't because of how sensitive my hands are to that. Also if I need to open a twist top of a beer or something like that the rough edge makes it real painful and I need to use a cloth to hold it. Also I recently realized all my callouse on my hands are gone and I am a blue collar worker in construction who had callouse so tough I used to stick needles in painlessly just to freak people out. Now those areas are soft as baby's butt! Does this sensitivity get better? Thanks

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

Hi DLB - Thank you for your reply.  Yes.  I definitely think that all of the drugs have caused my immune system to ramp up.  I've known it for sometime but no one would listen.  Now that there is evidence, it's different.  I still have sensitivity to touch.  Even the softest sheets feel like sandpaper to me.  Some days it is more tolerable than others, but minimally. :(

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

• 9 months later...

Hi cmusic,

I'm curious to know how you have been doing?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• 1 month later...

Hi cmusic,

Like Help777, I am also interested to see how you are getting on these days. I have found your thread and I've read through the entire history and can sympathise because I've have suffered with / am suffering with some of the symptoms you mention, all since a fairly rapid tapid from Citalopram some three years ago. I know this is your thread and I don't want to hijack it too much but I want to give some context as to how I can relate to what you've been through.

At my worst I was completely unable to work because I couldn't sleep at all and I was in a state of constant fear and panic; I think the world "inconsolable" describes how I was at this time extremely well. I ended up losing sensation completely in my hands, feet, face, mouth and throat and I also lost the ability to swallow. I experienced severe burning pain in all of my nerves and when I did manage to start getting some sleep I would often experience severe burning in my fingers and toes when falling asleep and then wake up with a massive adrenaline jolt feeling like I had stopped breathing. I only managed to get sleep in batches of about 2 to 3 hours (often with the aid of a tranquilizer like zopiclone) and would often make up with my hands and feet in spasms - fingers all twisted up and locked in place and I would have to use the other hand to unclench the fingers on the other hand. I was really scared I had MS because one of my fathers colleagues who suffered with the very aggressive primary progressive form of MS often had that problem upon waking.

I had other symptoms indicative of autonomic dysfunction too. I had orthostatic intolerance and would almost black out just standing up from sitting or lying. Just walking across the room would trigger my heart rate to raise to around 180 bpm. My breathing became very shallow it was almost as if my body had given up trying to breathe. 

At the time the doctors had absolutely no idea what to do with me. They tried me on all sorts of medications, many of which made things worse, and I was pretty much constantly in and out of hospitals having a plethora of scans, blood tests (including autoimmune), nerve conduction studies. I had also not found SA by this point and so felt so alone and scared for my life and for the future. Most of the tests came back negative but they did diagnose me with Raynaud's phenomenon, which I had not suffered with prior to withdrawal, and they were teetering on the edge of diagnosing me with chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia.

Luckily I later found SA and began to understand that it was likely that what I was experiencing was iatrogenic and as a result of my too fast a taper from Citalopram and it is probable that some other poor choices I made during that same period worsened things too. By this time I was already on another antidepressant (Nortryptyline) but at least I was educated in how to approach the taper from this in a much more conservative manner.

Fast forward to now and things are much improved but I am left with quite a few problems. Some are persistent and others seem to flare up, seemingly provoked by periods of particular stress or anxiety. My Raynaud's is pretty much permanent and my hands and feet are always cold and pale and Raynaud's attacks seem to be pretty much constant throughout winter. If my sleep quality deteriorates then I can start waking feeling completely unrefreshed as if I haven't slept at all and this seems to trigger a resurgence of CFS/fibro symptoms such as fatigue, orthostatic intolerance and numbness in my hands. I've also recently had a sleep study and been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and now sleep with a CPAP machine each night.

I'm still on 10mg of Nortryptyline at the moment and petrified about reducing again because it seems to worsen all of my long term problems somewhat every time I drop.

I notice that you mention Raynauds as one of your diagnoses. Did you suffer with that prior to withdrawal or is this something that was brought on by withdrawal for you? 

The physical symptoms have an extra special hold over us because they are a constant reminder that something is wrong with you and can trigger the cycle of worry and anxiety over our condition. Whenever I have a Raynaud's attack it triggers memories of how I was at my worst and starts a negative thought cycle in me resulting in my worrying if my body will be like this permanently and will I always suffer with these problems. I also worry that it could just get worse and worse as I reduce the dose I am on further.

How are you doing these days? Have things improved in the past year? I really hope you are starting to experience some relief from the absolute hell you have been through.... 

Funky

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

• 3 years later...

I just found this topic. I hope you are ok and found some answers and relief.

1991 -> 2001 various SSRIs for depression (10 years)   

2001 -> 2017 celexa, lexapro for depression plus Abilify (6 years)

2017 - celexa causes increasing flu-like symptoms (body aches, fatigue, malaise, syncope)

2017 - bad Dr switches me to Pristiq, Luvox, Zoloft.  They all cause flu-like symptoms eventually.  Switch to desipramine (tricyclic)

2018 - switch to imipramine 75mg which eventually causes worsening flu-like symptoms. taper off Abilify

2018 - November - feel like I am really developing serotonin toxicity.  Decide I have to get off everything ASAP.  taper off imipramine, going from 75 mg to 2.5 mg over 2  months

2019 - Jan - bridge to Prozac. taper from 10 mg to 1 mg over 3 months.  Last dose end of March (alternating days)

2019 - March experience brain zaps but not too bad. They eventually go away in April/May

2019 - March - August - I developed leg/nerve pain which became increasingly debilitating over time. Saw a ton of doctors. No physical explanation. Drs rule out MS, fibro, neurological issues.  MRIs, xrays, chiro. 2019, September - Leg pain has worsened to where I can barely walk across the room.  Reinstate imipramine at 2 mg

2019 - October - Reduce imipramine gradually to 0.04 mg.  feel a bit better.  2019 - November  Start Trileptal 37 mg.  Start seeing improvement in mobility, pain decrease

2019 - December - feeling about 50% better.  Still experiencing w/d symptoms and/or side effects. Waking at 5 am each morning feeling shivery, nausea. Legs feel like they are plugged in to a socket.  Zaps, aches, tingles, stinging.  Still can't walk or drive.  Ears ringing, brain tingling, brain full of bees.

2020 - mid-January - setback, withdrawal/side effects getting worse.  Discontinue Trileptal.  2020 March reinstate Trileptal 20 mg, reduce to 10mg

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2013 at 10:37 PM, cmusic said:

Hello everyone

I wanted to share my journey through hell that has been going on for several years. I have been on AD's since 03, but in 2010 when I crashed and have not been the same since. I have great life, a wonderful wife and 2 great boys, a good job, and supportive family and friends. But I can’t enjoy any of it – my life at the moment is simply a struggle to get through each day.

In 2002, my doc gave me Zoloft for what was a persistent but manageable level of anxiety. Supposed to take the edge off and is safe and can be used indefinitely. Between 2003 and 2010 I was on Zoloft, Lexapro, and Prozac (with Xanax as needed). I went through those years ok, except for increasing GI issues.

I crashed in 2010 after trying to switch from Prozac to a tricyclic (because of GI issues). I was on the couch in acute panic, crying hysterically, couldn't stomach food, with insane levels of anguish and fear and depression. I thought my life was ending. My psychiatrist told me to triple my benzos, and as a result I didn't go off them for over a year.

Currently every day is a significant struggle.. Anxiety and depression are magnified to levels that basically incapacitate me in the mornings. I cry every morning with an overwhelming sense of doom, a dread for living the day, can barely stomach the smallest amount of food from nausea, GI distress, etc. I return to somewhat normal at night, only to become Mr. Hyde again the following day.

It's pretty clear to me that SSRI's no longer work for me. Every time I increase the dose or change meds to try and help, I seem to get a month of releief then the intense anxiety and depression begins again. It's almost like I'm adapting to the meds.

I wasn't sure it's appropriate to reach out to you directly, but I wanted to try. I can certainly offer my history on the forums as well, was going to post this on the tapering page if appropritate. I'm just looking for some level of confidence that the issues I'm going through could be attributable to the drugs, and getting off is something that in the long term could make me well again.

• In everyone's experience, is it possible for a person to experience the equivalent of withdrawal while still on meds (as they cease to be effective)? Are acute depression, anxiety, maginified emotionality, loss of interest, no appetite and nausea all considered withdrawal symptoms? (even if you had these while still on)?

• My PDoc said I could just get right off the 30mg Prozac because of the long half life and built-in taper. Byt I read here that a slow taper is the only way to go. I've been off for a week and I don't feel good, but I also don't see how adding back a small bit would help (when I felt almost the same while I was still on the drug). Honestly I'm at a loss... and thinking I'm goign to try to just power through this as best I can.

My hope is that I can get off and get through whatever bad period there is and get better to a sustainable point where I can live my life. My fear is that I'm somehow damaged beyond repair and that getting off the meds will leave me in this state indefinitely.

I have been to holistic clinics where they measure your neurotransmitter levels through your urine (surprise my serotonin was low). I'm taking a very expensive regimen of supplements. I've managed to keep my job but it's been smoke and mirrors and is getting harder. I have lost the ability to feel joy, have barely any motivation to pursue interests or live the day, and feel like I'm losing my family and my life. I'm literally terrified.

Any thoughts or ideas anyone might have on my questions above would be appreciated. Or even just validation that I'm making the right decision.

Thanks and good luck to you all.

Hello! Thanks for this info! What are the holistic clinics where they measure your neurotransmitter levels through your urine? Thank you for your kind input!

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.