reluctantpharmagirl: From Zoloft to Wellbutrin

reluctantpharmagirl

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto recommends a total of 2,000-3,000 mg (combined) EPA + DHA.  As with any supplement, it's best to try just a little at first and see how you react. You might try a quarter to half a teaspoon for a few days and then gradually work your way up to two teaspoons a day if you don't have a bad reaction.  A very few people find that they're sensitive and can't take fish oil, so it's best to be cautious.

I'm gratified to read that I helped you stay focused.  It's difficult, I know.  When I was in withdrawal (from Lexapro, by the way) I didn't turn to psychiatric meds to "fix" things, but I did spend a small fortune trying every supplement that held out any hope. Aside from fish oil and magnesium, it was a waste of money and most of them made me feel worse.

Following Alto's advice is a very good idea.  She's one of a handful of experts in antidepressant withdrawal.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, I never seem to be able to connect going off the drug with what's going on, either.  It's as if I've got amnesia.  And similarly, when I go back on the drug, it's hard to remember the distress I was in while off.  My brain can no longer access that level of despair.  Very weird.  This makes it difficult to explain the withdrawal to doctors and therapists.

It's great that you've had that insight.

I see the same thing happen during withdrawal, with windows and waves. That's why I always tell people to keep a daily journal ranking their withdrawal symptoms on a scale of 1 to 5, along with a record of their dosage changes, cuts, etc. plus any big stressors. We always think "Oh no problem I will remember how I did after that cut, oh no problem I will remember how well I was feeling after that hold" and then Nope. I don't really see it when -I- do it, so much, because that's the nature of it, our self-insight is messed up somehow, but it's obvious when reading other peoples' threads, and when I read back over my own journal.

There's something about the process, the fluctuating chemistry, that makes it hard for us to remember accurately, to assess accurately how we are in relation to how we've been in the past, something like that.

There's actually a medical word for this phenomenon, more or less: "anosognosia." Peter Breggin has written about it quite a bit. He uses the term "spellbinding" in his popular writing, but when he's talking medicalese he refers to "intoxication anosognosia" resulting from psych drug use. I believe it also happens with psych drug withdrawal, probably for similar neurochemical reasons.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks, Rhi.  I looked up anosognosia.  Fascinating.

Today is a day I want to remember.  I want to shout from the rooftops that I finally hit a WINDOW!!!  I don't know if I'm stabilizing at 25 mg, or if it's the BEAUTY OF FISH OIL, but several times during the day today, I took note of how good I was feeling.  No anxiety, not hiding under the covers, no physical symptoms -- just went about my day.  Even made it to yoga tonight.  And cooked a meal, which I haven't done in months.  Yay!

What changed? Who knows. I did a couple things in the past two days ...

(1) Bought magnesium-glycinate and took 1 pill yesterday (200 mg), which really knocked me out for 3 hours, but also moved some things through my system that I had thought were weight gain, so now I feel renewed hope that I am not going to be as big as a barn while reinstating and tapering.  Yes, I need to cut those in half or 1/4 going forward, but it was much needed and appreciated.

(2) picked up Nordic Naturals liquid fish oil and have been taking it religiously.  I SWEAR BY THIS STUFF!!  I know you all already knew that, but wow -- it really works.  I've been vegan the past 2.5 years, so my body probably needed it even more.

(3) returned to morning, consistent, steady-state 25 mg doses of Zoloft.

So, that's where I am.  I went from spending the entire weekend in bed and thinking I needed to be hospitalized (or go live with my mother) to actually having hope today that I would find happiness again, and it might even be without a drug.

I also cancelled some upcoming commitments that were stressing me out. I tend to overcommit, and I want to go easy for a while and not make a bunch of social, work, or even self-care commitments.

Oh, and last: i picked up my liquid Zoloft today, and got two oral syringes, a 1 ML and a 5 ML.  I feel like a mad scientist!  :D  I won't go down to 20 mg until I know I'm stable here. Scheduled date for that was Mar 23, but as you all have advised, I'll let my body/symptoms determine the actual taper date.

Thanks to everybody here who has offered me advice and support through this wave/withdrawal/reinstatement/whatever.  Alto, Rhi, Jemima, MammaP, Bubble,  Karma, Narcissus, Tezza ... I appreciate you!

18 years (1995-2013): Zoloft 100 mg (various attempts to quit basically too fast). My withdrawal predictably presents in 4As: anger, agitation, anxiety, acne.

Nov 26, 2013:  Quick 2-wk taper off Zoloft under "medical supervision" with Amino Acid supplements

>> White knuckled it for 2 months, but horrible withdrawals after 1 month: anxiety, inner torment, fighting with everyone. Plus side: effortless weight loss.

Jan 22-Feb 5, 2014: Reinstated Zoloft 25 or 50 mg every other day, but quit again c/t due to weight gain

Feb 10-19, 2014: Tried Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, but quit c/t due to anxiety, rapid heart rate, panic attack

Feb 20, 2014:  Found this forum. Reinstated Zoloft 25 mg. Planning 10% taper.

March 14, 2014:  Cut Zoloft to 20 mg. (Reinstated a bit too high.)  Holding here. Stabilized at 2.5 wk mark. Tried Zoloft liquid (nope!), moving to compound pharmacy for ongoing taper.

April 21, 2014:  Cut to 15 mg. Having each new dose custom compounded @ Koshland Pharmacy in SF, highly recommend!

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great, rpg! Even if it's a window, it implicates healing is taking place. Don't get too disappointed if you don't feel as well tomorrow or whenever, just remember, "I am healing".

LOL, it can make you feel like a mad scientist. I say, lol...because, now anytime I think about prescription meds, I have a little mental image of a small, elderly, white-haired, balding in the middle man wearing a white coat, working feverishly.

Hi everybody!  Hope everyone is doing well.  

I've been blessed with several good days in a row, and am ready to switch over to the liquid version of Zoloft so I can begin to taper.  

My plan was to switch over and take a 20 mg dose.  By way of reminder, I'm taking 25 mg of the pill now, but cutting a 50 mg in half via pill cutter so it's imprecise, and believe it may have been a bit high to reinstate at this level.  

So, given that I'm stable, do you think I'm ok beginning the liquid at 20 mg, or do I need to switch to the liquid first, adjust to that, and then make a cut?  I know some people have difficult adjustments between manufacturers, but if I can survive it, I'd like to do both at the same time.  I think it'll do me some good psychologically to see forward momentum on the taper.

If you all think it's ok, I'll begin the liquid and do the cut tomorrow.   Yikes! Yippee!  I'm sure I'll be back for support and with with questions.

Thank you for your generosity of spirit, and for all the advice and support.

P.S. I cancelled my follow-up appt with the doc who wanted to follow the Mood Cure protocol.  Decided I am just going to stick with the approach recommended here, and don't need any more input!

18 years (1995-2013): Zoloft 100 mg (various attempts to quit basically too fast). My withdrawal predictably presents in 4As: anger, agitation, anxiety, acne.

Nov 26, 2013:  Quick 2-wk taper off Zoloft under "medical supervision" with Amino Acid supplements

>> White knuckled it for 2 months, but horrible withdrawals after 1 month: anxiety, inner torment, fighting with everyone. Plus side: effortless weight loss.

Jan 22-Feb 5, 2014: Reinstated Zoloft 25 or 50 mg every other day, but quit again c/t due to weight gain

Feb 10-19, 2014: Tried Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, but quit c/t due to anxiety, rapid heart rate, panic attack

March 14, 2014:  Cut Zoloft to 20 mg. (Reinstated a bit too high.)  Holding here. Stabilized at 2.5 wk mark. Tried Zoloft liquid (nope!), moving to compound pharmacy for ongoing taper.

April 21, 2014:  Cut to 15 mg. Having each new dose custom compounded @ Koshland Pharmacy in SF, highly recommend!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rpg,

If you drop from 25mg to 20mg, that would be a 20% cut,  we recommend no more than 10%.  Some people do have problems when switching from pills to a liquid, for various reasons, if it were me, I would make a straight switch to make sure I'm not going to react badly, then you would know if its symptoms from the cut or from the change to liquid.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

helloooo :)

I started reading from your thread at the point where you were desperate, thinking of starting Lexapro and then Jemima sent you that beautiful post, you followed the advice and experienced a miracle :)

wow! so great to read about it! absolutely agree with Petu. We can never be cautious enough and longer holds strengthen us fr further tapers. Also some people need to adjust when transferring to the liquid form...

very happy for you ;)

will give my fish oil another try but slowly...

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

I would either do a straight switch, see how you do and adjust liquid dosage if need be.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi everybody.  Hope you are all having nice days.

Well, I took your advice and kept my dose the same when switching to the liquid.  I took 25 mg of it yesterday for the first time.  It was kinda' hard to measure exactly in the oral syringes (got some bubbles, even with the 1 ML syringe I found it hard to get the extra .25 ML exact, etc).  Oh, and the alcohol taste was terrible!  But the real downer was I felt anxious yesterday and last night again ... after many days of doing so well.  

I didn't feel like I could afford to go backwards right now (with work demands), so this morning I went back to the 25 mg pill.  I have been cutting a 50 mg in half but this morning emailed my doc for a RX for 25 mg so if the liquid doesn't work, I can just do my titration with a 25 mg pill.  Perhaps I would stabilize on the liquid ... but I definitely had that uneasy, anxious, irritable feeling that I remember vividly from withdrawal.  I could give it some time, but I just didn't feel this was the week to do that with other work stresses.

I also have a family support question I've been meaning to ask the group.  My mother (who really does mean well) keeps slipping into conversation how she and various people around us "just have chemical imbalances" and "need to find the right drug".  This is really upsetting me, because I basically feel like she's undermining my effort and suggesting she doesn't think I'll be successful (e.g., I'll be a stressed out *****) once I'm finally off the Zoloft.  Last week she was telling me how horrible a manager she was before she went on Lexapro and believes it has done only amazing things for her life for the past 20 years.  The week before she was telling me about a friend's daughter who went on beta blockers and those finally worked for her anxiety.  Then yesterday she started telling me about another friend she'd had breakfast with whose daughter was "a terrible ***** to live with" until she switched her thyroid medication and adjusted her hormones.  This upsets me for so many reasons, not the least of which because I believe she is going around telling people I've been "a terrible ***** to be around" while trying to get off the antidepressant.  And she keeps telling me how she's concluded with these other people that they just had a chemical imbalance.  I've sent her to this forum and given her the name Peter Breggin, but is there anything you can suggest I have her read that would disprove the "some people just develop a chemical balance" theory?  Or that would make her believe that I'm not going to be this horribly agitated and irritable person when I finally do taper off?  She's making me feel like once I reach the promised land of being off Zoloft, that I am going to be stressed out, miserable, and impossible to be around.  I would discount this completely, except for the undeniable fact that I do possess her genes, and she is decidedly "kinder" than she was in my youth, when she ran a stressful business and was not on an antidepressant.

Thanks for your advice and support.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  Long time no post.  11 days!  Feels like an eternity. I've been reading your updates, but sort of waiting for some progress to report before posting one of mine.

I've been taking the sertraline liquid since Mar 13, so 9 days.  And WOAH, gotta say, that stuff is really not for me.  Tastes like rubbing alcohol (I mix it with water), and it's nearly impossible get it down.   Does anyone else take it?  Beyond the horrible taste, I have also found that my morning dread is pretty bad -- sometimes I can't get out of bed till 10 am.  I'm having a terrible acne reaction as well.  And, I'm agitated.  So, those are my usual withdrawal symptoms presenting.  Acne, morning dread, and agitation.  Those are my warning signs, and I need to always remember that.  Self insight!

So, I think I am going to try to tinker with my strategy (again):  I think I will move to a compound pharmacy to make my pills.  

During the last week, I went through so much effort, getting a new Rx from my doc for the 25 mg pills (she was like, "I just prescribed you the liquid!"), and then the pills I got were a different manufacturer because I went to a pharmacy near work instead of my usual one.  I didn't want to have another variable (changing manufacturers), so I went back to my usual pharmacy, got a refill, and insurance wouldn't pay because it was so close to the previous Rx fill, so I just paid out of pocket.  Then I ordered the Gemini scale online.  Once I got it, I learned the whole lesson about how a 25 mg pill does not weigh 25 mg, so it's not a straight cut, but an obtuse calculation you have to do!  Wow, nothing is easy.  I was in the kitchen trying to shave off milligrams of this pill with a kitchen knife.  It was so ridiculous, and definitely not sustainable for a year-long taper.

So, now I am hoping to find a compound pharmacy who will cut the pills for me.  

Also because, I know myself, and I'll want to cut more quickly than I should any time I feel moderately ok.

So, my questions for all of you:

- Do any of you use a compound pharmacy?

- Does insurance cover it?  

- Is it a lot more money, even if the drug is generic?

- Does your doc just call in each reduction in dosage?  

- Assume it means I have to switch brands (again)?

Thank you for being here, and for your helpful advice, as always.  So happy to have all of you in the bunker with me ;)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RPG,

I can't answer any of your questions,  bumping post so someone who can may be able to answer.

So, my questions for all of you:

- Do any of you use a compound pharmacy?

- Does insurance cover it?  

- Is it a lot more money, even if the drug is generic?

- Does your doc just call in each reduction in dosage?  

- Assume it means I have to switch brands (again)?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I also don't know.

There is  a link somewhere to a site listing all compound pharamacies. I tried it but there were literally only 3 in the whole of Europe.

The only thing I can say before somebody who has the answer comes along is that you could google for a compound pharmacy near where you live and give them a call and they will be able to answer all your questions ;)

(for all these reasons I've been making my own suspension for 5 months and now it works like a piece of cake for me). 

I got a bit lost: we were talking about zoloft but now you mention  sertraline liquid... Is that a different name for the same thing?

Regarding your previous issue of whether to go down (especially by such large amount), I would say, no please don't.

I went through the reinstatement after 40 days. But I didn't expect it to fix all my problems immediately or even within a specific time frame. What i hoped for and the way I so the reinstatement was working for me was a very slight reduction in my symptoms, very gradually over literally months I would feel more bearable. Only 4 months of holding I started tapering by 5 % one of the two drugs.

So the best we can do for ourselves is be patient and SLOW, painfully slow because it is the slow turtle that wins the race.

Also it's not a matter of precision but constancy. it's ok to make mistakes with measuring provided you make THE SAME mistake every day. What distabilises us are variations of all sorts (it's like you have  ahealing bone and then you continue to bump it all the time).

Sorry I wasn't following the whole process more acurately so I might be missing the point now.

all the best!

bubble

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

HI everyone.  Bubble, sertraline is just the generic name for Zoloft.

I called a compound pharmacy near me.  Unfortunately, sertraline is apparently very expensive in a powder.  At first she said most pills are $45 a month.  But a one-month supply of sertraline pills at 10 mg is $350.  So getting pills compounded for a probably a year-long taper would be $4000 or something.  Arg!  They can't even price it and see if insurance will cover it until I get them the Rx.  And knowing my insurance, it won't cover it.

For two days I've been off the liquid sertraline and back on pills, just cutting down a 25 mg pill as precisely as I can and measuring it on a milligram scale.  I feel much better not on that gross liquid with the alcohol in it, and the acne is already pretty much gone, so I am pretty sure it was from the liquid.  

But each pill that I try to cut down and weigh is different -- it's definitely not consistent.  

Ugh, none of this is easy.  Feeling very frustrated.  And like giving up.  Now I have to go back to my doctor AGAIN and ask her for ANOTHER rx.  She must think I am bonkers.  I have now asked her for Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin XR, Zoloft in a liquid, Zoloft in 25 mg pills, and now I'm going to ask her to go to a compound pharmacy, which I may not be able to sustain at that price.

I know I can't but really wishing I could just go off and deal with the withdrawal symptoms for a few months and be done! 

• Administrator

That cost doesn't sound right. All they do is take generic tablets and grind them up.

Walgreens has sertraline on its generic drug list for around $10 per month. There are several Walgreens in San Francisco that do compounding.

Hi everyone, quick update.  I did get a compounding pharmacy to order a generic form of Zoloft (sertraline), by the manufacturer I take, so they will make pills for me at the dosages my doc calls in, and apparently add some kind of filler made of tree bark to the capsule.  I believe these will be about $49 for a 30-day supply.  That's 5x what I pay now for regular non-compounded pills, but it's SO much better than the $350-$500 they were quoting me before!  So I'm happy about that.

I also saw a very informed new pyschiatrist today.  He talked about 4 potential strategies for me.  One is to do the taper slowly on my own over years.  The second is to do a prozac bridge.  The third was to add lamotrigine (Lamictal) at VERY low dose (12.5 mg).  The fourth was another drug to add that started with an N.  

He recommends we try Door #3.  Thought it was the best case for me given my background, symptoms, etc. Talked about this being a pretty straightforward glutamate-GABA imbalance.  I need to ask him more about that.  I guess because I started taking the drug so young, at 20 years, and because my withdrawal symptoms present as anger, anxiety, overwhelm, acne, etc. It seemed a pretty straightforward case.  I really need to get more info so I can intelligently report back.

I trust him completely.  But I'm a little afraid of adding another drug.  For all the reasons we discuss here:  side effects, getting addicted to something new, potentially being on something else the rest of my life, not to mention that I can't help but worry if this means I'm bipolar.

Has anyone else added this and had success with it in withdrawal?

FWIW, He also said I might want to add CoQ10.  And eat breakfast to stop the cortisol spikes!  Even just a banana within 30 mins of waking counts as eating breakfast.  And fish oil, religiously.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lamictal was prescribed to me but wasn't a good drug for me at all. Actually, I was given Trileptal, too. The doc never told me what he DXd me as to prescribe me four meds.

I began having anger outbursts and lowering the 200mg dose of Lamictal stopped that. 12.5 is a low dose but you could try to start with less, if you choose #3. I've gotten off it now and my mood improved greatly.

Very low doses have helped some people but I'm not knowledgeable enough to suggest a good starting dose.

The Prozac bridge also works for some but not everyone. There's just no way to know how you (or anyone) would respond to anything new.

• Moderator Emeritus

What I've learnt very painfully: one drug is big trouble, two are not only double trouble but even more so ;(

then you have to taper two and the only thing that helps with WD is stability and time, there is no quick fix, especially not with drugs. drugs are what got us here in the first place...

• Administrator

What was the drug starting with an N?

Wish i could remember, Alto.  I tried to call him back with Qs yesterday and will try again today.

Hi Tezza, Bubble and Alto -

I spoke to him briefly this morning with follow-up Qs.  The reason he suggested adding Lamotrigine is that I have clear signs of excessive glutamate activity.  Said I won't be able to read much on this online or in textbooks; this is his knowledge and experience, and more from neuroscience than psychiatry.  If I try to taper off on my own without a bridge strategy, I will probably run into the same anger/rage issues when I get to the low doses, and/or it will take several years. Past attempts to get off, plus the age at which I went on (20), plus the number of years I have been on, plus my typical withdrawal symptoms = a pretty obvious pattern.

The fourth strategy, Alto, was adding Nefazodone.  

• Administrator

Hmmm, well, why not see if the lamotrigine will work first?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd also consider giving patience a try, in the mix...

not trying to be snarky, but changing things around all the time really does just aggravate the situation. You don't actually know yet how you would respond to a slow taper if you gave it a chance. Why not try that first, before adding in another drug that may or may not help and will definitely have to be tapered and has its own set of side effects and potential dangers? (Personally I find Lamictal to be the very devil to taper, so I'm a bit prejudiced.) 

If after doing a slow taper for six months you decide you still want to try Lamictal, I'm sure they'll still be marketing it. 

I've just seen so many of these "add a drug" approaches fail miserably. This guy does sound more knowledgeable than most if he realizes that a taper can take years, so maybe this won't be like the other ones. 

Oh, and as for your family, have them read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker, and tell them you won't even engage in any conversation about ADs or other psych meds until they do. If they won't do that, they can't talk to you about it, period, end of story, you leave the room as soon as they open their mouths. A friend of mind did that with her family regarding her decision not to have her sons circumcised, and it worked. (You have to read it yourself for this to work though...)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

what has been happening with our reluctantpharma girl?

would love to read an update.

best,

bubble

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Me, too.

Hi Alto and Bubble, thanks for checking in on me.

I'm doing ok.  i'm at 15 mg now.  Holding here.  it's been two months and I am not going down any time soon.  Work is too stressful.  Anxiety is too high.  Personal relationships are very taxed.  That's the short version.  Will update more when I have a bit more time. Sorry to be brief here but just wanted to respond quickly because I know I've been away so long! Thanks so much for your support and for checking in on me. 

• 9 months later...

Just read your thread and wondering what's going on for you nowadays. If you ever check in again, let us know!

KEY: Drug @CurrentDoseMaxDose (time span). Details.
Prozac @4040 (2020-present). Replaced 50mg Zoloft with 10, then 20, then 40mg Prozac starting Sep 2020. I was not doing well at 25mg Zoloft, 150mg Wellbutrin XL. So, to try something new, I switched to Prozac. I am definitely more stable on this dose. Nevertheless, issues with insomnia, and worries about bone strength, make me wish to try a taper again sometime.

Zoloft @0250 (1998-2020). 250mg most of the time. Starting Spring of 2009, tapered by 25mg steps down to 25mg/day by Oct 2010. Emotional crisis prompted return to 200mg by end of 2010. Reduced to 150mg in Sep 2012. Dropped to 125mg 1 April 2013. Dropped to 100mg around 1 June 2013. Dropped to 90mg 5 Dec 2014. @80mg 5 Jan 2015. @70mg 5 Feb 2015. @60mg 5 Mar 2015. @50mg 5 Apr 2015. @45mg 7 Sep 2015. @40mg 5 Oct 2015. @35mg 1 Nov 2015. @30mg 1 Dec 2015. @25mg 29 Dec 2015. @50mg Nov or Dec 2019. Transitioned to Prozac Sep 2020.
Wellbutrin XL @150300 (2004-2020). Started at 150mg, quickly ramped up to 300mg. Dropped to 150mg in summer of 2010. Emotional crisis prompted return to 300mg by end of 2010. Dropped to 150mg 9 Apr 2014. Tried going back to 300 1 Apr 2020; feared it was harming my memory and so cold-turkeyed off 1 May 2020.
Klonopin @01 (1998-2005).
Paxil (1997-1998).