Cdav: How to deal with depression and interrupted personal/career plans

Cdav

Not very well Joannad, apparently I'm having a "manic-like episode". I'm not longer in a depressed state. I'm extremely irritable and angry, having negative and racing thoughts. Can't stop screaming and smashing things. 

The doctor wants to thrown in an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer. Though he's trying to help, I'm not sure if I should trust him now. 

Still in a nightmare that won't end. 

Thank you for asking. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cdav

• LoveandLight

• WiggleIt

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god that's really difficult..let's us know what you do/ how your getting on cxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Cdav,

First of all, thank you for visiting my thread!

How's the elavil working out for you?

I'm sorry you are going through this, it's horrible!

I wish you well.

tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hi tgirl, and everybody who reads this. 

I don't know how the elavil is working for me amymore. I'm confused. I accepted a low dose of keppra (Dr thought it would be helpful for WD symptoms), I accepted a low dose of amisulpiride (antipsychotic). I feel very drugged, I feel very irritable, I feel suicidal, I feel like whatever made me be a good and creative person is no longer inside of me. 

I'm confused. I want to trust my doctor, but I don't entirely. I want to trust myself and stop those new meds he put me on, but I don't trust myself either. 

I'm hanging in there. This is hard. It's ruining my relationship with boyfriend (or ex boyfriend), it's ruining my dreams, it's ruining my present and possibly my future. 

Sorry for writing in such a negative way. This is how I've been feeling, most days. I don't know how much is the "real" me who should just get ahold of herself, or how much is withdrawal or med side effects. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry for all that you've lost, cdav. I can relate to the feeling that one's good/creative self is gone, buried under withdrawal symptoms. That self is still there of course, it's just much more active in better health I think. It will return as you recover.

It sounds like you're a bit lost at the moment. You've said numerous times that new drugs make you feel worse, and yet you keep letting your doctor put you on new meds. I would stop the inflow of drugs and give yourself a chance to recover. Nobody here has found a drug that cured withdrawal, it's simply not going to happen. Trust yourself and your experience over your doctor, always.

Hang in there, we're hanging on with you.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thank you for your reply and nice words Narcisuss.

Yes, I've been so desperate to feel better and feel like my old self as soon as possible, so I've accepted new medication. This has been a terrible mistake. Some of the medication does help, like Lyrica (for twitching and neuropathic pain), and a tiny dose of Elavil (keeps brain zaps at bay and also seems to help akathisia). But I can't tolerate more than that. I've been stubborn and suffered a lot by not accepting withdrawal just takes time to improve. 

So yesterday I stopped the new drugs that the doctor thought would help. Thankfully, I feel MUCH better today.  

Narcissus, I see in your signature you still have withdrawal symptoms even on 75 mg of Effexor since 2012. What are your WD symptoms? Have you felt any improvement with time?

• Moderator Emeritus
So yesterday I stopped the new drugs that the doctor thought would help. Thankfully, I feel MUCH better today.  

I was happy to read this Cdav.

I've got a couple of suggestions.  First I think you need to read back through your thread from the beginning and I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.

Other resources you may find helpful are Your Drug may be you Problem by Dr. Peter Breggin and Council for Evidence Based Psychiatry

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you so much Petu. I read the intros and some parts of these books you recommed, really good information. It really opens my eyes. I'll be reading the whole books. 

Looking back to the last couple of years, all the poly-drugging has caused terrible suffering. And it wasn't until now, that I decided to stop trusting the "authority" and "knowledge" of doctors and just listen to my body. Even if my doctor understands protracted withdrawal, he is wrong in thinking I need more medication right now. 

Good thing is doctor decreased Elavil to half (since he noticed this was causing anger and irritability). I felt much better too. Since I'm feeling well (no brain zaps, no akathisia, better mood), I'm going to wait to stabilize on this for a while, and then I'll reduce very very very slowly. 

I know I've been rotating between many meds. I'm not letting this happen anymore. 

This website has been a blessing. I'm in a good window right now, really enjoying it. 

Glad to hear!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

• Administrator

Good to hear less amitriptyline is better.

Are you still taking Lyrica? Please update your signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cdav,

Looks like you and I have been on some similar meds, and I am in the same withdrawal boat as you: multiple withdrawal, and mine were all cold turkey because my primary care physician said I was on such low doses that I could just reduce quickly with no problem.  She is dumb and she was wrong.  

You took Elavil (a tricyclic) and clonazepam (benzo).  I took Pamelor (a.k.a. nortriptyline, a tricyclic), then Norpramin (a.k.a desipramine, also a tricyclic), and also Ativan (a.k.a lorazepam, a benzo).  I was on stuff for three years total.

I am so sorry for what you are going through, but so many of the kind people here have assured me things do get better.  We just have to allow ourselves time.

I have never been on an SSRI, or an SNRI, or anything else.  I am unfamiliar if tricyclics help with the symptoms you have mentioned.  I have some of your same symptoms, and they were caused by tricyclics and benzos.  But I have learned that every human body reacts slightly differently, so maybe the tricyclics will help you.  Just pay attention to your body and try to notice if you feel better or not.    

What I can tell you is that a little, tiny bit of my symptoms are a little, tiny bit better.  I have been off everything for a month and half at this point, so I am still in acute withdrawal.  But my family says that they DO notice improvements.  Honestly, I notice some small improvements, too, but since I want to be better NOW, it is still very difficult for me to recognize my own improvements.

You are in my prayers, Cdav.  I believe we ALL can get better.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Thank you Alostrata.  :)

Yes, I'm stil taking 75 mg Lyrica. I'm going to attempt a reduction of it if I keep feeing stable for a month. I already updated my Signature, hope it appears updated. 

I also started taking Magnesium Citrate (Natural Calm) 25 mg 3 days ago. I've been tolerating it well (except for some mild gas), and seems to be helpful. I thought I should try it after reading the thread here about Magnesium. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING!!! I wanted to respond to the topic of your post, since it addresses the depression that comes with interrupted personal/career plans.

What I have to say about that is that I hope you can learn to let go and let God.  That is something my grandma used to say.  Now, I finally understand.  I used to have a pretty impressive career path.  I was a college professor and a publicist for rock bands.  I missed those jobs for a while, until I realized something: the ONLY reason I was able to do those jobs is because I was healthy.  The only reason I was able to do ANYTHING, EVER is because I was healthy.

Health is truly the foundation to everything else we have.  So instead of focusing on all the things I've lost, I'd rather focus on the ONE thing that makes everything else possible: my health.  If I can be healthy again, the whole world will be open to me.  So I will make my health my priority.  Not just now, but forever.  Because now I know that it is the building block for anything else I might ever want.   

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

WiggleIt, thank you for your words. 

Yes, all this journey has been very confusing and painful and since doctors don't have a lot of experience with people with our problem, they stupidly think we can quit small doses without any trouble. 

My withdrawal problem actually started with Pristiq, a SRNI, and after that everything was worsened by mutliple meds. Now a very small dose of Elavil seems to be working with WD symptoms. Later on when I try to reduce this, it might bring its own set of WD symptoms, but for now I'm not going to make any changes, since I'm feeling better. 

Yes, one rule about meds I guess is that everyone reacts differently to taking them and to withdrawing from them. As for the benzo, (0.5 clonazepam) I hope I can quit this later on too. But we have to take it really slowly and be patient. 

I'm glad you are noticing improvements in yourself. I've been through that hurry of wanting to feel perfectly well RIGHT NOW, and I've learned this causes a lot of unnecessary stress and hopelessness, and in my case, poly-drugging and halting my healing process. 

Thank you for letting me be in your prayers, you will also be in my prayers as well as everyone struggling with this situation. and yes, we will ALL get better. It seems tragic, but this will give us a lot of tools to be stronger on the long run :)

WigleIt, 

Your last post is really touching and helpful. 

I've been very frustrated due to my lack of health and how this has interrupted my dreams and plans. It's like a punch to my identity and sense of self. But, yes, during the last weeks I've learned to trust this process and God and not try to hurry at all in anything. I've been learning to let go (thought it's sometimes very hard), and just not measure my value with external achievements (personal or career-wise). 

My priority is my health now too, and I've been learning how to take care of myself, even if this means interrupting my plans. There's no rush now. Like you said, health is the foundation of everything else. But even if I don't have perfect health right now, I have to be grateful for everything else I do have (family, friends, strength, talents that will emerge again as I keep feeling better, and the list goes on….). 

I suppose this WD process is a huge lesson on many things, patience, trust, faith, etc… 

So, after 6 fairly good days of a very nice window. I had a barely tolerable and uncomfortable wave today. It is not as bad as other times, but it is disheartening after so many good days and what I had thought was the best week in many months, for me. 

Some weird head sensations returned along with a lot of twitching in my body. I don't know if there was a trigger. I think it might be related to my menstrual cycle, as it started yesterday. I also noticed some depressive feelings the day before yesterday. I always suffer a lot during PMS and generally become extremely irritable, depressed and suicidal during these days. But not this time. So, even if I don't feel so well, I know it's better than in other months. 

I'm going to see how I feel after my period ends to see if it was related. 

Totally understand - disheartening and confusing! But we are still getting through it xx

my WD symptoms amp up every month before my period and the first 2 days of it.  That could very well be your trigger.  Pay attention every month and you might see a pattern.  Hope it passes quickly.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

• Administrator

Cdav, have you tried fish oil and magnesium? See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Joannad, Frustrated, and Altostrata. 

I'm still on this wave, though it's the 3rd day of my period. I'm hoping this is the reason my symptoms flared up, so that things can be more predictable. 

I've had a really rough day with the head sensations and the twitching. I'm not having brain zaps, though. These sensations are different, but very irritating. It's like an uncomfortable feeling that goes from the top of my head to the back of my neck … like a certain pressure or pulling that resolves into a twitch on some part of my body (mostly back and arms). The uncomfortable sensation on the head subsides right after I have the twitching on my body. It's really weird. Feels like stripped wires sending crazy signals from my brain to my body, causing a lot of short circuits.  That's the only way I can explain this. I just want this to go away SOON! :(

As for the Fish Oil, I've been on and off of it, I started to take it again at the beginning of last week , along with 230 mg Magnesium Citrate. Since I was having a window I thought the supplements were helping. But now that symptoms are back, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll try to increase the dose of the fish oil (I've only been taking 2 capsules) and see what happens. 

Very negative thoughts are coming to my head. The dreadful thought of "I'm never going to recover and be myself again" is back, along with the jealousy of people who are fully living their lives, I really hate this jealousy/envy feeling, it causes a lot of bitterness and I don't want to be in that place again, specially after having a glimpse of hope, of what life should be like. 

Hi there Cdav,

I am in a different place trying to stabilize from a taper off of Citalopram but share your same feelings of the "I'm never going to recover and be myself"…. I think it is hard to believe we will recover because of the uncertain healing process with this illness.  I mean if you had a cold, you would know you would be feeling better within a few days but with this it is the when that is so hard to know.  I am having a difficult time feeling positive too but am trying to catch these thoughts and turn them around.  I also find it difficult to see others going on and living their lives.  It is so hard when you are feeling so badly and no one knows how you feel.  With this one I try to be happy for them, that I wouldn't want them to suffer and I want others to be happy.  At least we have one another here to know how badly we feel and can share our feelings with one another.

I hope you get some relief soon - you sure deserve it!

Michele

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

Hello Cdav,

Thank you for reading my thread,especially when your not feeling so good yourself!

I hope you see some windows soon!

Merry Christmas!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Michele, thank you for you reply. I think that's very good advice, to try to be happy for the people around us who are healthy and living their lives in a normal way. It might be hard sometimes. But I'm going to try to see it under a different light, and just think that I need to go through this in order to learn something I need to learn, like a life lesson that will be very helpful and will make me be a better person. It is a blessing though, to know there are other people like us. I thought there weren't, because my doctor told me this had never happened to any of his patients. But after finding this website, I feel much more connected and understood. I really hope you get relief soon too! You also deserve it :) 

tgirl, Merry Christmas to you too! I also hope that you feel better. Best wishes!

This wave is getting worse and it's making me feel really sad. I couldn't go to work today. My head feels like a brick, huge brain fog, still a lot of painful twitching on my back, arms and hands fingers, and also on my legs and feet. Some akathisia feelings are coming back. I can't think straight. No energy. 

I stopped the low dose of Elavil I started taking on Dec 1 (on the hopes of stabilising on something after many med changes), to see if this was causing the problem, but no, I still felt the same symptoms plus some brain zaps came back. So I reinstated the same dose of Elavil. 

I also thought the magnesium might be causing this problem, so I've stopped it for two days to see if anything improves. Still feeling bad.

I don't think this can be longer related to my period, because it ended some days ago.

Could it be the fish oil? Or is this just a wave?  My doctors says this is still part of withdrawal syndrome. 

I fell into the illusion of enjoying my last short window too much and now I don't see the end of this wave. :(

I am in the same boat too. I thought about writing all the dreams and plans I have had with writing, dance, yoga, work, and so on and how they went wrong, but that would depress me more. Ditto with relationships. Today I am having a bad wave. Some days (like today) I get a repeating thought stuck in my head: my brain goes back over and over again to the same trauma: how my husband started doing crack when our son was an infant. (he is 21!) and before that he was on trazodone. we have not lived together for 18 years so watching my brain go over and over this is extremely frustrating.

Right now I feel weak, nauseous, terrified, like a knife edge going through my body. for some reason this is always worse between 12 & 3pm.

Today I am dealing with this by lying flat on my back and shaking like a leaf, and about every 5 minutes I sit up and read another few lines on this website, and then I lie down again in exhaustion. And I try to watch my breath. Difficult as I have no concentration. I have fun activities or work in the morning and evening, but nothing seems to help me with the afternoons.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

So sorry you're going through that RubyTuesday. It's one of the worst symptoms to have cyclic and distressing thoughts that won't go away on top of the physical symptoms.  

I suppose we just need to keep pushing through these wavy days and hope they don't last too long. It's so discomforting how this is so unpredictable. But I've read somewhere in these forums that when there is a bad wave, it's a sign of healing happening. I'm trying to focus on that. 

I wish you feel better. 

Hi there, 

It seems like this last wave has opened a little bit, but not completely. Last 2 days have been better. Symptoms are a little less disturbing, though still there.

Still twitching all over, body pain (fibromyalgia or neuropathic-like pain) and headaches. All of this is less severe now and I have mini-windows of these disappearing for an hour or less. 

I'm suspecting magnesium could've caused a lot of the fatigue and weakness I was experiencing and now that I stopped this supplement, I feel like I have more energy. Not sure if it was the magnesium, though, or just a wave. I'll try the mag again later on for PMS. 

Right now, I can't stop thinking about how much healing I have to do, since I'm healing from so many drugs that were given to me. I don't know from what date to start counting. And I'm still on some meds and afraid to stop them now. I guess I shouldn't focus too much on this and just wait until I have longer windows. 

I'm starting to think magnesium might be causing some uncomfortable head sensations and twitching in my fingers. I had stopped it about two weeks ago to see if these symptoms stopped, the head sensations diminished and the finger twitching disappeared. Now that I started magnesium again two days ago, these symptoms are back. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I'm going to stop taking it again, and see if this clears up. 

I had been having excruciating headaches these past two weeks, though, and I'm not having a headache now, just weird and very annoying feelings in my head along with the twitching. It seems like if one thing gets fixed, another one gets "broken". 

Very depressed today. A lot of fatigue. Twitching won't stop. No headache today, thankfully.

My mom called the pdoc because she was concerned by my crying and constant muscle twitching. Obviously he said I should add a med (a low dose of an antipsychotic), I know better this time. It would be tempting to just try yet another pill if I didn't know what I know now. I'm so desperate to feel better that there's a part of me that still believes a doctor can cure me. It's so sad that this is not possible. 

I'm supposed to release my EP album this month with my original songs, but I feel like I can't even if I want to. Again, dealing with the heartbreak of having to interrupt my life. 

Sorry Cdav. It is sad and very frightening that we are going through this in response to something legally prescribed.

I took feel grief at the loss of being able to live life xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Cdav,

I understand how scary it all seems. But it will pass. I think the fact that symptoms come and go is a very good sign. Things will get better. Now you know what makes you unwell, you have learnt it the hard way and now you can do only things which will help your recovery.

I'm sorry that we weren't arouund when you asked whether to try what your doctor advised. But you stopped them quickly and you will get better. It might just take a bit more time.

It's good that you are aware that so many changes are now causing you to feel bad. This at the same time means that now when you know that time and stability heal things can only get better.

I see new you emerging ready to accept that this is just temporary and allow it to run its course. In that way it will stop sooner. I liked what somebody wrote on your thread about focusing on your health. I would maybe use a broader term of wellbeing. If we focus on small even tiny signs of improvement everything else will fall into place. Your career will be there waiting for you.

The month is long.you can still release that album. But if not, it's really not a big deal. This might sound awfully insensitive to say because there's so much effort and work involved of you and other people. But still it's not worth of sacrificing your wellbeing. You will release it some other time. I had an awfully hard time accepting that. I would stuff myself with pills to be able to do what I believed was necesssary and I couldn't do without. Now I see that most things can wait for us to get better.

Fear is our worst enemy in this battle. Fear that things will get worse or that they will never get better. But we now well that neither of this is true. In the book Feel the fear and do it anyway it says:no matter what happens, I will deal with it.

You showed that you can and will deal with things. Although it might not feel like that to you, things are getting better. And I'm sure you will start feeling that soon.

Big hug,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you for answering Bubble. I really needed to read what you wrote to me. 

Since yesterday I've been experiencing deep depression. I wonder if this is part of Withdrawal or if it's something else. It's hard to deal with this. A lot of chest oppression and pain, along with extreme fatigue. Maybe it's hormones? I just finished ovulating. 

Abou the album, you're right, this month is long and it's not a big deal if I still take longer to release it. It's taken me more than a year to record this album, because of my condition and the unpredictability of it. But still I'm proud that I was able to record it. What comes next is scary, not knowing how I'm going to feel. But I'll manage. 

Any advice of improving depressive feelings? It feels very physical, not mental. I feel the depression in my body and I don't know if this is part of a wave or what. 

Thank you. 

Headaches are gone, twitches are almost gone. Now I'm only left with a very dark depression that doesn't seem to respond to exercise (this costs me a lot to do), yoga, diet, meditation or anything. This is in fact the most scary symptom of all. Cortisol mornings are back. I just can't wait anymore for this to go away. 

Yes me too, that's exactly how I've been..and I'm sorry it's so awful. Xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Cdav, I wrote something back to you on my thread about creativity… It's just a silly little piece of advice, but maybe helpful?

• Moderator Emeritus

Cdav, 

I also want to tell you that I used to work in the music industry here in the US.  Used to promote concerts, manage bands, and do publicity for bands.  If you need to delay your album release, it's okay.  Better for the album to be released later and promoted well, instead of being released in a hurry and promoted poorly.  I have seen musicians rush to promote albums when not all the pieces were in place, and it goes poorly.  But I never saw anybody do poorly who pushed back the date of an album release in order to wait for everything to be done just right.