Cdav: How to deal with depression and interrupted personal/career plans

Cdav

• Moderator Emeritus

Cdav, while your update breaks my heart since it shows that you are suffering deeply, there are parts of your update that hearten me: you stated more than once that you want to live and that your windows remind you that life can be good.  Those affirmations are AMAZING.

Also, I trust that you know your depression better than your doctor does.  I believe it is legitimate when you say your depression was better before meds.  Many others have reported the same thing.  If your doctor is not helping you, can you switch doctors?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cdav

• LoveandLight

• WiggleIt

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Wiggle. 

I do want to switch doctors, but I'm afraid other doctors will be even more clueless about what to do with me. They can only prescribe more meds, and I can't take them anymore. 

I wish there was someone who could help me. 

Thank you for passing by my thread and posting :) 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand the concern about other doctors being even more clueless. I'm sorry.

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

CDAV

How about emailing Yolana Lucire or another "expert" in drug withdrawal for validation and support, if not advice? Xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hello CDAV, how is your singing? How was this presentation time ago? By me nothing really new, only on Friday I almost lost my son on the public celebration. There were so many people. My daughter wanted to go on merry-go round, so I wanted to buy her a ticket. And I turned I almost froze. My son was not there. I ran through the whole place for over than hour, called the police and crying for help. Some visitors were very nice and tried to look for him also. But the people which were in the stands or selling the tickets, they were one catastroph. They were not taking care at all. After two hours, when I was already afraid that the darkness comes, there came police auto the carousell where we stand and I saw already Benny waving from the police car. The police woman said "I should take care better next time" and we went home. I must say, I was near mental breakdown. I mean, can you imagine, also missing the son and also to be in withdrawal? It is really one of the experiences I do not wish to anyone.

Hope you are better.

Martina

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Thank you Wiggle. It's hard to find a doctor who knows exactly what we're going through and that won't label us with a psychiatric disorder unrelated to withdrawal. 

Love, I will try to contact Dr. Yolanda. I think I just suffered from a very adverse reaction to antibiotics (I had already experienced this before) and my akathisia is back. I had a very bad stomach flu. Still catching lots of other diseases. Feeling like crap on top of everything. I never had these reactions to antibiotics prior to withdrawal. I'll email her. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

Martina, I'm SO SORRY about what happened with your son. But it was not your fault, that could happen to anybody. But I can only imagine how bad it would feel on top of your nervous system already in distress. I really admire you for going through this with two children. I get so sad and cry so much because I don't think I'll be able to have children of my own and take care of them, and I'm going to be 33. Since I don't know when I will heal, or if I'll ever be strong again, the probability of not having children is very high, and that really makes me sad. 

You are a very good mother don't forget that. It's so unfair this withdrawal **** had to happen to us. I'm sorry I'm angry right now. It's just not fair that this atrocity could happen to good people like you, me and everyone around here.

My singing has been quite interrrupted. I did sing that day, but it was really hard for me to find the courage to prepare and go to the place. I'v been giving some of my singing lessons, with much effort, and I think my students can tell I'm not 100% there. Still don't want to schedule a performance. I wish I can do it again, soon. 

Wishing you all much healing. 

CDav, dont worry, you can still have plenty of children. I had children also first at 35 (unplanned). My half brother told then the whole my relatives that "I caught the last waggon of the last train passing by". I hate such comments. But what I wanted to say, let it on the nature. If it would be the right time, it would help itself.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Thank you Martina, you give me a lot of hope. I really wish to heal someday and lead a normal life. I think we all will, the sad thin is it takes too long. I don't want to wait anymore. 

So my Doctor wants to put me on an anticosnvulsant, TRILEPTAL. Since the last antidepressant he tried on me was a complete disaster, he ordered some brain scans, they came out normal. He says he has a similar case of a young man who develops paradoxical reactions to antidepressants, and was put recently on Depakote, and his depressions have been gone for a month. 

I am extremely skeptical. I am too worn out, too depressed, too scared and too foggy to try to look for another doctor, but I cannot survive this on my own. I still need to use benzo's during horrible suicidal crises. I still need to call the doctor during emergencies. 

He says the anticonvulsant will give my brain some "rest". 

I told him all of this is because of withdrawal, he acknowledges I have WD syndrome, but still thinks my hypersensitivity is due to something else. 

I don't think I will try another medication at this point. My parents want me to, though. They are worn out of seeing me suffer almost every single day. 

I am in such a mess. 

It seems like these days most of the time I'm suffering, only negative physical sensations and horrible thoughts and emotions happen. But in the midst of all this suffering  I want to remember the positive things I DO have. I don't want the negative things to spread a shadow over the few but BEAUTIFUL good things I do have in my life. 

- I have a family that loves me so much and is supporting me in every way. My mom takes care of me like an angel. 

- I have a boyfriend who loves, even if he doesn't completely understand my condition, but he's stayed with me through all the merry-go-round of meds and personality changes and suffering.

- Some few days I can still sing and play piano and enjoy it even if it's for myself. 

- I have a dog that I absolutely love and brings joy.  

- I have a few moments in which I can enjoy looking at nature, taking a walk, watching a sunset, doing yoga. 

- I have good friends who care about me. 

Not everything is lost, and I have to remind myself of this. Because sometimes I believe everything good I had, is now gone. But it isn't. It's on hold. But still there are good things going on, the most important things, are there with me. 

Cdav, I am content that you are able to shift your perspective and look at all the positive things in your life and its a lot. Writing daily in a gratitude journal where you write all the things that you are grateful for that day helps a lot. You have all the reasons to heal from wd. Wishing you well.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

Thank you Purplestars. 

We need to try to see what we do have in the middle of the suffering. 

I'm going to write a daily gratitude journal, like you suggests so my perspective can stay positive even if I'm still ill. 

:) 

I'm having horrible cortisol mornings with horrible body sensations, akathisia is back, I think the antibiotics I used might have activated it again.

The good thing is depression is lifting a lot by mid afternoon, while the past two months depression was horrible almost all day long. So I'm seeing a little light at some moments of the day. I don't know if I can attribute this to starting homeopathy (As Shanti's thread suggested) a month ago. I'm sticking with it  and hope for more improvements. 

I don't know if depression will lift completely though, there is still the doubt of my genetical heredity for depression. 

That's great it's lifting by afternoon xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Yes, afternoons are getting better. 

But akathisia today has ben a m-ther f-cker… since early in the morning, and hasn't stopped. I don't know why it is back, I'm crying because I thought it was gone for good, and it's back and it's torture. 

I also have an important music gig on two weeks, It's in a beautiful place in my country called "Valle de Bravo", I'm singing and playing piano for a wedding.  It's a very good pay and all travel expenses are included. I was really doubtful of accepting the offer, but I said yes. I'm really hoping I feel at least well enough to do the job and not suffer through it. Hopefully I can enjoy it. My mom thought it was not a good idea to go, but something inside of me doesn't want to keep letting time go and opportunities pass (as I have been doing for months) and since I'm having better afternoons, I think I might be able to handle it, with MILLION TONS of effort. 

I think you will feel better if you do it. I like very much piano. There is in Czech Republic a very good piano player who made a lot of albums, his name is Jiri Malasek and I listened to him a lot when I was a child. I tried once to play the piano, but I remember it very difficult to do with both hands something other.

symptoms OCD

Thank you Martina. After a couple of days of a horrible depression/akathisia wave I decided to cancel the trip. I can't even play the piano right now here in my home, imagine somewhere else. I started dreading the flights and the movement and everything. It's too much for me right now. I'm recovering from stomach issues and bad reaction to antibiotics. This has been a very bad week, hadn't been able to work or eat much. 

So, even If I wanted to, I know I physically and mentally can't travel right now or even concentrate to play a gig. Hopefully later on. 

I am sad about having to cancel so many things, not just the trip and many gigs. I'm so uncomfortable with the akathisia, do dizzy and weak, and I dread the horrible cortisol mornings. At this point I'm surviving only through the help of my mom who is 24/7 by my side. 

Last week wasn't that bad. I don't know what happened this week, maybe the wave got worse. 

Hi Cdav

My mom is by my side and takes care of me too. I'm not sure she understands exactly what's going on, but she's helping me through this.

Sending healing thoughts your way, hope we all feel better soon

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Sorry you had to cancel the gig..yes..roll on to feeling better soon..for all of us..hugs xxx

Thank you Bluebalu and L&L. 

I can't believe how things could get much worse. I found a new psychiatrist (haven't made my mind yet if I should change), she wants to help me genuinely because she's been asking how I'm doing every single day and I just went for one consultation. I don't know how much experience she has with WD, but she works in a conservative way to try to minimize side effects, doesn't make cocktail combinations (like my doctor does,which works for some people, like my mom and brother, but for me is extremely dangerous). 

I've been struggling with the severe akathisia and depression which stopped for a little while with medication the new doctor gave me (amantadine, biperiden (anticholinergic) and clonazepam). She recommended I stayed home for 4 days, "hospitalized" with no TV, no cell phone, no visits, so my brain could rest. I was very sedated, and I slept a lot, my parents were there to take care of me, and the akathisia was under control. It was a good break from the pressure of trying to be normal. 

But yesterday, when I tried to resume some activities I found it's still very hard and akathisia is still in my body. I thought it was gone for good, but it was the medication keeping it at bay, so I have to keep taking the medication, sometimes it doesn't take it away competely, but at least puts it in a more tolerable level, as opposed to a wanting to die level. 

I had a brief window of happinness and clear head and good feelings towards everything yesterday afternoon/evening (mornings are still a torture), out of nowhere, I don't know where it came from, but I really enjoyed it, it gave me a very necessary reminder of what life really is, of who I really am, and how WD keeps telling me lies that are hard not to believe. 

Today the window closed. 

I started acupuncture as well, today. Gotta keep trying and pushing through. 

As for my usual Dr. he has good intentions, he sent me to make a brain scan, and thinks I have some kind of mini-seizure problem, according to the neurologist, and that maybe that's why I'm treatment resistant and get paradoxical reactions. I don't think this theory is true, I never had these problems before. He wants me to go on Depakote so my brain can "rest". Still too confused and scared to now what to decide. 

Sorry am half asleep but just wanted to say hi and I'm glad you had that window..I just wish it was longer for you!

What med did the doc give you? She sounds maybe good?

Xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been able to catch up so much with everyone, I've been suffering still from very bad depression every day and akathisia torture that comes and goes without warning. 

I started having  myoclonic jerks again on my mouth, legs, back, butt. RLS, everything jumps, when lie down. knees hurt with pins and needles, I want to rip my legs off. My face looks so tired and bloated from so much crying every day.  

I've had some better days depression wise, little semi-windows. My family and boyfriend have helped me a lot through this. ThankfullyI haven't been aggressive anymore, just very very depressed. I miss myself. I miss being creative. I miss enjoying life. I miss being able to live without forcing myself to do everything. 

This withdrawal damage doesn't seem to end. My depression has gotten worse. I wish I had never stopped Pristiq, I was fine on it, until I decided to come off and the nightmare began. I always think this. There is no turning back. I've lost so much time. No more singing, no more songwriting, just surviving each day. 

I really hope there is hope for all of us. Why does it take so long?

Doctor mentioned at some point that Electro consvulsive therapy helps treatment resistant depression and might help erase withdrawal symptoms, because it reboots the brain as if it were a computer or something. I'm really not sure if I should believe this. He still doesn't want me to have ECT because it affects memory for some months, but he has had success with treatment resistant cases. I know I'm treatment resistant because of withdrawal. But still I cannot live with this depression, I might as well try ECT what else do I have to lose? I've already lost so much. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cdav,

I see your thread has been bumped, which means you've logged in to visit!  I will read and catch up.  You are in my thoughts.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Cdav,

ECT causes memory loss and has the potential to increase psychosis.  I really am scared for you to try this.

• Moderator Emeritus

"I started having  myoclonic jerks again on my mouth, legs, back, butt. RLS, everything jumps, when lie down. knees hurt with pins and needles, I want to rip my legs off." - I have all of this, too.  Plus, akathisia and mental torment have started.  They are new.

Wiggle, I'm so sorry you're still having all those symptoms plus the akathisia (that's the worst feeling in the world). My twitching and akathisia came back after trying a low dose of mirtazapine (supposedly to help akathisia) I tried this for a month and akathisia subsided, but then I got really aggressive and irritable and stopped it, akathisia and twitching came back ten-fold. 

I also had a brain scan, 3 neurologist concluded I have some kind of epilepsy thing, they want to put me on an anticonvulsant, I tried one, it gave me diarrhoea and weakness, I stopped it. I don't want to try anything anymore. I'm in such a mess, and I used to be better several months ago. 

This is not fair, I really hope we do heal, or at least have strength to accept and endure this. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi cdav ,   at the risk of being shouted down , many people have reported good effects from ECT. For some it is like a miracle.

I can send you some links to look at if you like.  

And not remembering much of this past 6 months may not be such a terrible thing. . . . 

xxx

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you Fresh. I'd would really appreciate it if you send the links. 

I've also heard it can be a miracle for many people, but movies have shown it as something terrifying and dangerous. Yes, it would be nice to forget many things from this past year :) 

Akathisia torture has been horrible this week. It makes me want to jump off a building or something just so I don't fee this anymore. Horrible crises of pacing and jumping and crying hysterically. I took an anticholinergic with prolonged release, and I could not tolerate it, so I'm taking Lyrica and more clonazepam now, really scared of taking more drugs to minimize the damage of other drugs, but I have no option, I would probably die if I couldn't get the little relief that clonazepam and Lyrica give me.  

My jaw is trembling, my body is always restless. I'm so tired. Pins and needs on my brain, it feels butchered inside. 

Trying really hard to survive this horrible wave. Really considering ECT, as I read it can help tardive akathisia, tardive dyskenisia as well as depression. Like I said before, I've already lost so much, the suffering is so intense that this ECT though it seems scary, a part of me wants to try it. 

• Administrator

Fresh, the studies regarding efficacy of ECT have to do with treating "depression," not withdrawal syndrome. The two are entirely different.

We have no reports of ECT being helpful for withdrawal syndrome, but many reports of injury. It sounds like Cdav's doctor was suggesting something because he's out of ideas.

Cdav, do you have any lamotrigine left? Did you try it at a very low dosage after quitting in January?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I still have Lamotrigine, but I didn't try it again out of fear. I've told my doctor about the low dose and how it might help but he does not believe me that such a small dose would be helpful. I'm afraid to try it on my own. 

Right now Lyrica is helping a little bit with many of the symptoms, as soon as the effect wears off I start suffering again. From what I understand the micro-dose of lamictal might aid in healing. I know Lyrica is not healing me, just masking the symptoms and giving me much needed relief right now. 

I'm seeing a neurologist now, because like you said, my doctor ran out of ideas and sent me to a neurologist he works with sometimes. I think the  neurologist is more clueless. Maybe he'll be more open to the idea of the micro-dose Lamictal. I'll show him the information here. 

• Administrator

It seems to me that if a low dose of lamotrigine helped before, it may help again. I would be cautious and sample a very low dose first, though.

It sounds like your doctor guessed right once, and since then has been floundering. Too bad.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I know! :(   He still has the idea that giving "sub-therapeutic" doses won't do anything to help. 

I might try it, again on an extremely low dose.