WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

• Moderator Emeritus

TD in my face and tongue continues severely.  Face is twisted and tongue protruding as I write this.

Still have found zero neurologists who have treated me with anything resembling respect, so even if I wanted to take Lamictal, there's nobody to prescribe it to me.  I have been abused by the medical system to a degree that I didn't know was even possible.

Tried to sue doctor, but too many loopholes protecting her.

Tried to sue pharmaceutical company, but can't because my meds were generic.

I don't wish I were dead, but I don't want to live like this. 

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for educating me.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Wigglelt.  You have our respect and love !  I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. Wishing you the very best.

Hugs,

Ali   

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Administrator

WiggleIt, as ever, I am profoundly sorry that this has happened to you.

This is a site for going off drugs and support of withdrawal syndrome. That's what we know well. This is not a site for people who have suffered severe adverse reactions from psychiatric drugs per se. Diagnosing and treating severe adverse reactions such as dystonia is the province of neurologists who, I am sorry to say, have many of the same flaws of psychiatrists.

All I know about dystonia is what I read on the Web from sources that seem to be informed, such as http://www.dystonia.org.uk/index.php/about-dystonia/types-of-dystonia/secondary-dystonias/drug-induced-tardive-dystonia

or http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/287230-overview

As you've been participating in support groups specifically for dystonia, you're probably the best informed person about dystonia here. It hurts me that you feel we have misled you here with our well-meaning but perhaps not fully informed support. We did not intend to add to your distress. All of us sincerely hope your symptoms will go away and you can be the kind, lovely person that you are without this torment.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Alto, I truly didn't meant to hurt you!  This site is a wonderful resource.  You must know that I feel that way.  It's just very unfortunate that I've learned the hard way that the ONLY cure for TDD (tardive dystonia and/or dyskinesia) is to PREVENT it by not taking psych meds in the first place.  

As I've said in posts above, I'd hate for newbies to see my thread.  I don't think newbies need to be seeing what's contained here, because they mostly need support and hope.  I guess it's just a catch-22 as to where the appropriate place truly is to speak openly about TDD.  This is the only place I know of to tell the God's honest truth, but it's also not EXACTLY the appropriate forum.  Because of that, I especially appreciate that you allow me to express myself here, however bleak my news is.   

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

Update: tested positive for diabetes, a definite result of the antidepressants. I did NOT have diabetes before the meds, and if you read the medical journal research, you'll see that antidepressants damage the endocrine system and are documented to cause diabetes.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Wiggle, it's so horrendous what they've done to you.  I just read about ADs causing diabetes, there was an article on MIA.

I know you've written that lawsuit ideas have not gone anywhere but maybe there's a chance to sue on the grounds they gave you diabetes?  I'm going to take a guess that effect doesn't get listed on the side effect sheets for the drug you took? 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sky,

My meds were generic, and there is a loophole that protects certain generics.  My generics are protected from legal action.  I can't do anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE:

2 years off all meds.

Have not recovered from the setback that happened over this summer.

Dystonia worse.

Facial tics worse.

Vision worse.

Completely lost ability to drive.

Horrifying sensations of vibrating eyeballs and face.  Terrifying.  I won't even talk about my deepest fears regarding this problem.

I literally don't care at all about the "greater good."  Even if these meds supposedly help "most" people who try them (which I don't believe anyway. I'm sure it's just that people on psych meds don't know that the psych meds are the cause of their other health problems) and supposedly only harm a minority of people, I wish the meds didn't exist at all.  I'd gladly sacrifice anybody else's wellbeing for my own, especially since the harm of these meds was known since their creation, and NOBODY should have been knowingly harmed in the first place.  The medical community KNEW these meds cause harm, but they gave them to people anyway.  And for that, the doctors and pharma companies deserve to burn in eternal damnation.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sky,

My meds were generic, and there is a loophole that protects certain generics.  My generics are protected from legal action.  I can't do anything.

Hi Wiggle, I just realized you said the same above, sorry I must have been out of it when I posted this.  

It's so heartbreaking too that there's not even legal recourse for you.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

TWO YEARS and TWO MONTHS OFF MEDS:

Back again for the occasional update.

I've developed trigeminal neuralgia, which is chronic nerve pain in teeth and face.  And, no, it's not possibly due to anything else at all.  It was the meds, plain and simple.

The pain is satanic.  It's so painful, it's evil.

Also, tics in face (still).  Lips twisting, tongue zaps, tongue protrusions back again.  This can be part of TN, but also part of drug-induced dystonia.  So I get a double whammy.

It's awful.  I haven't been in bad enough physical shape to wish for death in a long time.  But the nerve pain in my teeth from TN managed to get me there.

Of course, I don't want die.  I want to to live without the pain these meds have caused me.  But the nerve pain in my teeth is too evil to bear.  I pray that God hears me and has mercy. 

WiggleIt, I'm so very very sorry. I've recently started getting that severe pain in my teeth and face too (and ear) and it's absolutely horrific.

I truly believe all this will calm for you in time. I do.

I heard about a lady who got severe dystonia after a flu shot. She apparently took some auto immune drugs and it completely went away. I'm not for a minute suggesting drugs. I know very little about auto immune drugs. I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I've heard of people who had dreadful dystonia etc in withdrawal and it did go away in time.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Wiggle.There is still a lot of healing to be done. It's hard and you're going through hell but please keep going.

It might take a little bit longer for you.

In the grand scheme of things in your life this is still a blip on the radar screen.   

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Hugs for you Wiggle.  How awful this all is.

I have heard of people getting neuralgia from the drugs too though can't recall much of what they said about it. 

I don't know what this is, if it would be the same thing but I used to get (and I'm sure it's from the drugs) bad pain in my jaw, and usually at the same time sharp shooting pain in my ear.  Also had jaw movements too sometimes though the pain could happen whenever. 

I never did figure out what would bring it on when the jaw movements were not happening.  But it's been a while since any of that happened.

I had some tongue movements (in my mouth) too before, and there was a period where if I was concentrating hard, I'd be doing a fish mouth, no control over it.  That didn't happen when there was pain.

TWO YEARS and TWO MONTHS OFF MEDS:

Back again for the occasional update.

I've developed trigeminal neuralgia, which is chronic nerve pain in teeth and face.  And, no, it's not possibly due to anything else at all.  It was the meds, plain and simple.

The pain is satanic.  It's so painful, it's evil.

Also, tics in face (still).  Lips twisting, tongue zaps, tongue protrusions back again.  This can be part of TN, but also part of drug-induced dystonia.  So I get a double whammy.

It's awful.  I haven't been in bad enough physical shape to wish for death in a long time.  But the nerve pain in my teeth from TN managed to get me there.

Of course, I don't want die.  I want to to live without the pain these meds have caused me.  But the nerve pain in my teeth is too evil to bear.  I pray that God hears me and has mercy.

I hope you heal soon.

I just noticed you are from CO, so am I.

I'm just starting to taper liquid Lexapro.

I would love to have an occasional PM from someone in CO, if you would like. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 1 month later...

Hi Wiggle,

Please, look into TMS for Tardive dyskinesia, a friend does it here in my city and he has had several cases of tics and TD resolved or improved. It's non invasive and it's drug-free. It might be worth a try. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello All,

Apologies for not checking in here for a long while.  I'm two-and-a-half years off meds and still with permanent damage.  

Do I have good days?  Yes!  Have I healed A LOT?  Yes!!!

Is my physical health anywhere near what it used to be before meds?  NO.  I still have facial TD (involuntary facial tics) that comes and goes.  Despite the other pains I deal with because of the meds, the facial tics are so disheartening.  Even if my body's broken, I don't want it to LOOK broken, so I avoid going out when my face is twitching, and just stick to my quiet room with dim lights.

The tardive dystonia and myoclonus in the rest of body are always present to some degree.  It does flare up badly from time to time.  When it's mild, it simply looks like I have a limp and a crooked hand.  When it's medium, I do use my walker in public.  When it's bad, I stay home.  The pain that the dystonia causes in my muscles and joints is horrible.  Stairs are getting more and more difficult.

I've learned to gauge when it's going to be a walker day versus a cane day, and I don't care anymore about being seen in public with a walker.   

Fatigue and pain still hit my body VERY easily.  Excessively easily.  I can't stand or walk for sustained periods of time (not more than ten minutes or so before I need a rest break), but I do make sure to limp around and keep my body moving, even if it's not what healthy people would consider movement.  I often marvel that I used to be a runner… imagine a little pill taking away all of that.  A little pill called "medicine" that robbed my ability to stand upright, to move my legs.  Imagine that I used to run MILES on these tiny little legs that can no longer get me down the block!  My God, the side effects.  It does not cease to amaze me, but I have ceased being in denial.  This did happen to me.  I was given pills.  I did sustain permanent neurological and physical side effects, and I am bodily disabled now because of it.  Those are facts. 

The nerve pain in my teeth is an ongoing issue.

Luckily, my mind and emotions are solid.  I do still cry and wail occasionally, and lament, but it is far less often now.  Usually only when I have a physical setback, which—admittedly—happens quite often.  I'm unable to exert myself for more than a couple of hours a day.  The rest of the day is resting and only mild puttering in the house.  Anything else hurts my already-painful body too much.

I haven't bothered to seek diagnoses to learn if I have fibromyalgia or CFS.  Who cares?  Do I need to put a label on what the pills did to me?  I don't.  I know what my body was before those pills, and I know what it isn't now after them.  The changes don't need a label beyond the words "permanent damage" or "permanent side effects".  Those words are clear enough.

I won't ever write a recovery story on here, because recovery has not happened for me.  My absences on this site aren't because my life has gone back to normal.  My absences aren't because I'm out living life or have "moved past" this community, or what happened to me.  My absences are because I've accepted these changes that I never wanted.  Acceptance doesn't mean HAPPY acceptance, but it does mean that I no longer need to wallow in it every minute of every day.  My body will never be normal again.  That is what it is.  I'll simply do way I can with what I have.  It's still a hell of a lot more than plenty of other souls have in this world.  For them, I pray.

Love to all of you.  Thank you for the invitations to send PMs!  I've becoming less regular about correspondence, but I will try.     

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you to all my friends here over the years.  Thank you for every post, PM, for your honesty on your threads.  Thank you Alto and all mods… This site is a treasure.

Hi Wiggle.  It's good to hear from you. Wishing you the very best .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey WiggleIt - 

Thanks for updating your symptoms, even when it is so hard.

I know you believe that dystonia people "don't get better," but I still hold out hope for you.  Every case is different, and this is still "early days" in the realm of healing from antidepressants.  (I know, newbies don't want to hear that one, too!)

I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you, and hope that you get - moments - of respite from your difficulties.

I strongly recommend a CD set from Jon Kabat-Zinn, called "Mindfulness for Pain Control" - I got mine from Sounds True.  Sadly, it's not one of those "available for free on the internet" items - but - I use it frequently, and it's really worth it.  He's talked me through some pretty extreme physical states, treating pain and discomfort "like a wild animal," and breathing into it cautiously, carefully as if you were approaching a wild animal.  Giving me new ways to "think" and adjust my behaviours and choices around these discomforts (I wanted to say "Pain," but my last lecture was about identifying with "my pain," and how that makes the pain worse.)

Take care, and I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, JanCarol <3

• Administrator

WiggleIt, I know it's hard to see the silver lining, but I see you moving to a sadder, wiser, but still extraordinary WiggleIt, who is not defined by her symptoms. It's good to hear of your improvement. There's still hope and time for healing, we're all rooting for you.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On June 8, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Altostrata said:

WiggleIt, I know it's hard to see the silver lining, but I see you moving to a sadder, wiser, but still extraordinary WiggleIt, who is not defined by her symptoms. It's good to hear of your improvement. There's still hope and time for healing, we're all rooting for you.

Alto, thank you for your lovely words and lovely support.  I would not have made it through without this group.  This place is a Godsend, truly.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am facing something difficult that may render me totally dystonic, mentally retarded, and shoot me back to acute, longterm withdrawal: I probably need to take antibiotics for a sinus infection.  

Please pray for me.  Please pray that the antibiotics don't do anything bad to me.  Please pray that I recover.

I'm so scared, because I know what awaits me if things go wrong.

• Moderator Emeritus

I also fear antibiotics so I can fully understand!

What antibiotic will you take? I will check up the site.. I know that Cipro should be avoided at all costs.

Check more here:

Edited by bubble
added link

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, bubble said:

I also fear antibiotics so I can fully understand!

What antibiotic will you take? I will check up the site.. I know that Cipro should be avoided at all costs.

Check more here:

Thank you, bubble!  I read the link.  I will be staying away from FQs, and will only take the antibiotics if my ENT doctor says the infection is bacterial.

• 3 weeks later...

Wiggle, how did your situation turn out re the infection?  I hope and pray you didn't have to take anything that caused you issues! 

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 7/18/2017 at 3:45 PM, UnfoldingSky said:

Wiggle, how did your situation turn out re the infection?  I hope and pray you didn't have to take anything that caused you issues! 

My dear Sky!

Just before logging in, I was thinking of you!  I did finally get over that nasty virus, but it took a full four months for me to recover.  I never ended up taking antibiotics, and my docs did not think it was necessary, so it was nice that they were not trying to shove meds at me.

I have so much AND so little to tell!  I will start a new post here in a moment...  

• Moderator Emeritus

To all my dear friends, companions, and soulmates on this site,

I do not log in much anymore because I am no longer in the throes of acute withdrawal.  I am not completely recovered, and likely never will be because the dystonia and neurological damage is so widespread in my body, but I have recovered enough to find joy in my simple life.  In fact, I am sort of considering writing a recovery story, but I don't know if I should.  After all, I'm still physically disabled and chronically ill because of the damage the meds caused.  

Any little physical stressor (such as stubbing a toe or twisting an ankle) sets off my dystonia intensely.  But if I avoid triggers and keep a mellow, restful lifestyle, then I am able to keep my body in homeostasis without flaring up my symptoms.

I still suffer light sensitivity—although NOWHERE near as bad.  I still suffer sound sensitivity, although not as bad.  I still suffer vertigo, although not as bad.  The tinnitus is pretty bad and I do get special treatment for it from an audiologist.

I still need a cane to leave the house, sometimes a walker.  I can't go to super-loud or super-crowded places because the neuro symptoms will kick in, but I can go to a semi-crowded small restaurant or bar every now and then!  Rarely, but it's possible!  I even attended a wedding last year!  I do need several days' bed rest after those big events, BUT I CAN SOMETIMES GO TO THEM!  That's a big deal.

On an average day, I have about four hours of energy, then I need to lay down for a long stretch to rest again.

I do have pain and fatigue everyday, but I'm not miserable.  I'm not anywhere near normally functional, but the reason I'm not miserable is because I remember how bad I was four years ago.  Four years ago, my tardive dystonia and tardive dyskinesia were so bad that I wiggled constantly; it looked like I had Parkinson's.  I couldn't walk, talk, or bathe myself.  I had to be spoonfed.  I suffered black episodes of paralytic dread.  Brain zaps.  Body zaps.  PGAD with zaps in my private parts.  Insomnia.  A paralyzed throat so I could only have soups and mushed food.  Heck, I'd even choke on mushed food.

But now, I can go downstairs and make myself breakfast!  I can run small errands and have small social outings!  I am TRYING to work from home, but that has proven very difficult, because I still am too fatigued to regularly meet deadlines... but I keep hoping to find a way.  I don't want to be on welfare for the rest of my life.

I am still working on rehabilitating my original muscle injury, which is what landed me on meds in the first place when docs misdiagnosed the muscle injury.  The muscle injury was mostly under control with very little pain for over a year, but it has recently flared up again BADLY.  The pain has me quite crippled.  Still, I pray and remain hopeful that me and my physical therapists can rehab it again.  

Anyway, I don't want to mislead people because I'm not totally recovered.  Any little thing will throw my body back into an utter mess... but I want people to know that IT GETS BETTER!!!  The first two years off meds were sheer hell.  Going into year four, I'm hopeful. 

4 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

I do not log in much anymore because I am no longer in the throes of acute withdrawal.  I am not completely recovered, and likely never will be because the dystonia and neurological damage is so widespread in my body, but I have recovered enough to find joy in my simple life.  In fact, I am sort of considering writing a recovery story, but I don't know if I should.  After all, I'm still physically disabled and chronically ill because of the damage the meds caused.  

Any little physical stressor (such as stubbing a toe or twisting an ankle) sets off my dystonia intensely.  But if I avoid triggers and keep a mellow, restful lifestyle, then I am able to keep my body in homeostasis without flaring up my symptoms.

I still suffer light sensitivity—although NOWHERE near as bad.  I still suffer sound sensitivity, although not as bad.  I still suffer vertigo, although not as bad.  The tinnitus is pretty bad and I do get special treatment for it from an audiologist.

I still need a cane to leave the house, sometimes a walker.  I can't go to super-loud or super-crowded places because the neuro symptoms will kick in, but I can go to a semi-crowded small restaurant or bar every now and then!  Rarely, but it's possible!  I even attended a wedding last year!  I do need several days' bed rest after those big events, BUT I CAN SOMETIMES GO TO THEM!  That's a big deal.

On an average day, I have about four hours of energy, then I need to lay down for a long stretch to rest again.

I do have pain and fatigue everyday, but I'm not miserable.  I'm not anywhere near normally functional, but the reason I'm not miserable is because I remember how bad I was four years ago.  Four years ago, my tardive dystonia and tardive dyskinesia were so bad that I wiggled constantly; it looked like I had Parkinson's.  I couldn't walk, talk, or bathe myself.  I had to be spoonfed.  I suffered black episodes of paralytic dread.  Brain zaps.  Body zaps.  PGAD with zaps in my private parts.  Insomnia.  A paralyzed throat so I could only have soups and mushed food.  Heck, I'd even choke on mushed food.

But now, I can go downstairs and make myself breakfast!  I can run small errands and have small social outings!  I am TRYING to work from home, but that has proven very difficult, because I still am too fatigued to regularly meet deadlines... but I keep hoping to find a way.  I don't want to be on welfare for the rest of my life.

I am still working on rehabilitating my original muscle injury, which is what landed me on meds in the first place when docs misdiagnosed the muscle injury.  The muscle injury was mostly under control with very little pain for over a year, but it has recently flared up again BADLY.  The pain has me quite crippled.  Still, I pray and remain hopeful that me and my physical therapists can rehab it again.  

Anyway, I don't want to mislead people because I'm not totally recovered.  Any little thing will throw my body back into an utter mess... but I want people to know that IT GETS BETTER!!!  The first two years off meds were sheer hell.  Going into year four, I'm hopeful. 

Hi Colorado friend! I was just thinking about you the other day. I'm glad you have healed a little and are able to go out once in a while (I know how rowdy the town you live in can be). Please keep healing and keep me posted. It was good to hear about some progress.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

On 04/02/2018 at 4:49 AM, WiggleIt said:

My dear Sky!

Just before logging in, I was thinking of you!  I did finally get over that nasty virus, but it took a full four months for me to recover.  I never ended up taking antibiotics, and my docs did not think it was necessary, so it was nice that they were not trying to shove meds at me.

I have so much AND so little to tell!  I will start a new post here in a moment...  

Hey Wiggle, sorry I missed you earlier!  Battling what seems to be the flu here. Four months, wow that's too much...Good to hear you have recovered though!  Great you managed to avoid the ABs too!

On 04/02/2018 at 5:12 AM, WiggleIt said:

So very happy to hear of your improvements Wiggle!! I often wondered how you were. I think you can still expect more improvements too. I had such severe light and sound sensitivities for instance, that I couldn't go really anywhere but to natural areas or I suffered terribly for them, and they totally cleared up. 

Have you managed to write any poetry?  It's lovely to hear you have been getting out too, here and there!

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I am just wondering if your withdrawal hit you all at once or if it got worse over time and then slowly better. I'm only almost 3 weeks out from a cold turkey amitriptyline withdrawal after using it for 4.5 months and I'm really worried more symptoms will hit me soon. Thanks in advance.

Seroquel 10-30mg nightly late July 2017- September 2017

Amitriptyline 25-150 mg late October 2017- mid February 2018

Occasional hydroxizine/antihistamine usage throughout  

Phenibut 6000 mg every 48 hours April 2017- July 2017

Currently taking 1.5 mg klonopin

Supplements: Pantothenic Acid 1000mg extended release

• Moderator Emeritus

Evss,

Generally, the symptoms don't hit you all at once but rather, they come, go and change as time passes. I've had some symptoms improve over the past year, some have stayed the same, and new ones have appeared.  It's all part of the brain repairing itself.  

Brain Remodelling

Withdrawal symptoms generally follow a windows and wave pattern, with windows being good periods and waves bad.  To start with the the waves generally last a good bit longer than the windows, which are sometimes very brief.  As time passes (it is impossible to say how much), the windows lengthen and the waves begin to shorten.  

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

To help you understand the symptoms you may experience, here is some information on withdrawal.  The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Yes, sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

WiggleIt, how are you? I think of you often. I hope you are still making progress in recovery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 5/6/2018 at 11:39 PM, Evss said:

Hi!

I am just wondering if your withdrawal hit you all at once or if it got worse over time and then slowly better. I'm only almost 3 weeks out from a cold turkey amitriptyline withdrawal after using it for 4.5 months and I'm really worried more symptoms will hit me soon. Thanks in advance.

Hello Evss!

I am so sorry that I did not see this message sooner.  I really should do a better job of logging in more often so I can answer people's questions.

Your question is a bit complex, but I'll do my best to answer helpfully.  The reason your question is complex is because recovery is not linear.  It is truly up and down and remains up and down for a long time.  

When I cold-turkeyed the TCA, my withdrawal hit me all of a sudden at 11 days off.  And it hit BAD.  The first six months off were 100% hell every minute of every day.  Months 6-12 were 99% hell.  My second year off was better, but very unstable.  In year two, I'd go from extreme hell to relief, then back to extreme hell, then back to relief, then back to extreme hell.  In year three is when I can say that most of my personality came back.  Now at year four, I do feel that my personality and moods have been restored.

I'm sorry that I took so long to respond and hope you've been well over the past couple of months since you asked this question.