Pokey: Tapering Doxepin after 30 years

Pokey

• Administrator

Hi, Pokey. Moved your post here, to continue the history in this topic.

It could be you're taking too much melatonin, it can have that groggy hangover. You may wish to cut back to 1.25mg for a few days, then 1mg, and see if that's better.

Please let us know how you're doing in this, your Intro topic -- it's to track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm tapering off mirtazapine and am at 7.5mg. I want to switch to a liquid to go down from here. I called a compounding pharmacy about it and they seemed to make it sound more complicated than I think it should be. I know there are posts here telling folks how to do it yourself by simply pulverizing tablets with mortar and pestle and dissolving the power in water to the required concentration and storing it in the frig between doses.  I can do the chemistry as I'm a former lab tech. My question is: does a compounding pharmacy do anything different? Such as dissolving in a solution that keeps the drug in a  more homogeneous solution or do they do the same thing that I can do, but  charge a lot of $$ for it? 

Pokey

Was on xanax and doxepin for 25years. Got off both without to much trouble after long slow tapers. Still have issues with cognition, insomnia and fatigue. Was on 30mg mirtazapine.  Have tapered down to 9.375. When I get to 7.5 will hold there for a while to get good and stable again, then start down from there with liquid. Also take prevacid for GERD and bystolic for a mitral valve issue plus probiotic. 

Hi Pokey,

If you can get a hold of Mitrazapine Soltab, ( Avanza), it is easier to to tapper off Mitrazapine this way.

I have been coming off Mirtazapine using Soltab 15mg tablets dissolved in 15mls of water. I draw out with a syringe the amount that I need and discard the rest of the liquid. I hope that this information helps you. Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 11 months later...

I'm in a long slow taper off mirtazipine. I'm now at 4.5mg of liquid mirtazipine that I make myself. I have persistent fatigue and malaise and upset gut. Can anyone else out there relate. I keep thinking it's going to get better at such a low dose. Some days I feel ok but most days like warmed over dog poop.  No psych symptoms other than getting depressed from feeling so crappy much of the time. Sleep is not an issue. Just feel like I have the flu much of the time. 

Pokey

Was on xanax and doxepin for 25years. Got off both without to much trouble after long slow tapers. Still have issues with cognition, insomnia and fatigue. Was on 30mg mirtazapine.  Have tapered down to 9.375. When I get to 7.5 will hold there for a while to get good and stable again, then start down from there with liquid. Also take prevacid for GERD and bystolic for a mitral valve issue plus probiotic. 

56 minutes ago, Pokey said:

I'm in a long slow taper off mirtazipine. I'm now at 4.5mg of liquid mirtazipine that I make myself. I have persistent fatigue and malaise and upset gut. Can anyone else out there relate. I keep thinking it's going to get better at such a low dose. Some days I feel ok but most days like warmed over dog poop.  No psych symptoms other than getting depressed from feeling so crappy much of the time. Sleep is not an issue. Just feel like I have the flu much of the time. 

Pokey

hey Pokey,

i just quit 15 mg mirtazapine 2 months ago.  dr wouldn't refill the script so i had to stop cold turkey first week of March.  first two days off-    vomiting every time i would cough.  after that i felt like death for 4 weeks.  nausea, terrible headaches, very very poor sleep quality.  i could only sleep on the couch and would wake up feeling like i had no brain activity and then spend my days laid up sick on the couch blankly watching tv.  felt like i would fall over when i walked.  i woke up from naps feeling awful with a tight chest.  lots of days where my brain felt like it was swelling against my skull.    i am still dragging-   my stomach feels ruined- no appetite or hunger at all.   nausea and headaches are better but bad sleep and fatigue are still with me.  i hardly have the strength to leave my apt or do much most days. 

i started the mirt last july, after 3+ years into a cold turkey of zoloft and zyprexa. i had been down to 2 hours of sleep a night  and too ill to do much when i started the mirtazapine last july and my health was pretty poor which is probably why i am doing so badly now. 

i was just reading a post on the Remeron Should Be Illegal facebook page from someone who mentioned feeling better after a dosage drop of mirt after using cbd oil.  i haven't had a lot of luck with the stuff, but the guy who posted said he was feeling surprisingly well 7 days after the dosage drop.  he said he usually feels awful when dropping down, but didn't this time. 

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Administrator

Hi, Pokey. When was your last reduction of mirtazapine?

What are you doing for exercise?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My last drop was 5/1 from 5mg to 4.5mg. Im headed for 3.75, or 1/2 of a 7.5mg tablet and will hold there for a while before continuing on down.  My exercise habits have become hit and miss lately, but it definitely helps when I ride my bike 10-12 miles. I had a couple glasses of wine the other night at dinner with friends. That didnt help. I think the way I feel imuch of the time s the way I react to tapering and there's not a  whole lot I can do about it but continue to go slow. At least I can sleep which others have not been so lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey pokey ur symptoms sounds familiar with what ive been through the last couple months..ive been off both onlazapine ( antipsychotic) and deanxit( antidepressant similar to mirtazapine) at the end of 2016.the withdrawl symptoms were pure waves of hell..i dont wanna share my story as im not healed yet but wanna give some of experience through that time..melatonin no doubt helped my sleep but made my depression worse as i was unable to leave home the 1st year..that flu symptom is familiar where my brain felt heavy disoriented and numb..brain zaps were unbearable too, so give it a time things will subside but it takes real time..i got a friend who had been on mirtazapine whom faced the same insomnia problems byt switched to a low dose of doxepin and its heloin him tremendously..its up to you if u wanna stay clean or no..

all the best

Was on zyprexa and fluanxol ,imipramine for 8 months. Got off all! Still have issues with cognition, insomnia and fatigue, depression.

-no supplements

-no sugar/caffein

• 2 months later...

I have tapered from 30mg of mirtazipine to 3mg. These last few milligrams seem to be the hardest to get off of. I wake up feeling like a zombie every morning. Groggy, stiff, achy, generally feeling like crap. I know mritazipine is suppoed to be more sedating in the lower doses, but 3 mg?? Has anyone else here experienced getting off the last few milligrams as being the most difficult? I'm really sick n tired of this and have contemplated just jumping off and getting it over with. Can jumping off from 3mg be any worse than what this is???

Pokey

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it can be worse.  3mg is far too high to jump off.  The lower you go, the slower you need to go.  I know it is unpleasant, but please don't jeopardize all the progress you've made.

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pokey,  merged your question from tapering back to your home here in introductions.  See ^

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

yes i having problems tapering of mert.  went  to fast 7.5.mg to 3.75 mg i am going up  7.5 mg  holding how long did hold a 7.5 mg.

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

paxil    10 mg 10 /16  11 / 16 bad reaction  stopped  

xanax  .25 mg as needed   10 /16  30 days  only stopped 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg 

I've been tapering off  a well know tetracyclic AD. Going from 30mg to 7.5mg was not that hard but now down at 3mg I'm miserable. Ive heard others say the last few milligrams are the worst. Can anybody tell me why that is the case? I'm using a liquid to taper, does that have anything to do with it?

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Pokey said:

Ive heard others say the last few milligrams are the worst. Can anybody tell me why that is the case?

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

59 minutes ago, Pokey said:

tetracyclic AD

Are you referring to Doxepin?  If so, it may be that the half life of the drug is causing interdose withdrawal, which can be more prominent at lower doses.

From https://www.rxlist.com/silenor-drug.htm  The apparent terminal half-life (t ½) of doxepin was 15.3 hours

I am assuming that you take your dose in the morning.  Do you find that you feel worse just prior to taking your next dose?

You might want to consider splitting your dose and take it twice daily.  It can be an uneven amount, your dose doesn't have to be halved.  You would need to be careful that you don't cause sleep issues so my suggestion would be to move the smaller part of your dose by 1 hour each day until you are taking your doses 3 or 4 hours apart and then wait for a week or two.  If things haven't worsened you could then move 1 hour each week.

Keep daily notes on paper so you can assess the situation.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey pokey, have u considered adding cbd oil? As far as i know it helps with ads withdrawl 

Was on zyprexa and fluanxol ,imipramine for 8 months. Got off all! Still have issues with cognition, insomnia and fatigue, depression.

-no supplements

-no sugar/caffein

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Wassimlapino said:

Hey pokey, have u considered adding cbd oil? As far as i know it helps with ads withdrawl 

Unfortunately SA's CBD topic needs fixing up and isn't currently available.

My personal opinion is that it would be better to try my suggestion first.  Some members have had bad experiences with CBD.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hey pokey, how u doing? Still at 3mgs?

-no supplements

-no sugar/caffein