UselessSpork: Mirtazapine withdrawal, from 45 mg down to 3.9 mg

UselessSpork

lets hope its good for both of us D:

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UselessSpork

• Hopefull

• freespirit

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sporkey,

How was x-mas?

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Wasn't a great day to be honest D: my stupid brain predictably fucks up xmas and the day before wasnt too bad

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spork!  I'm sorry it wasn't great!  Mine got a little messed up, too.  We have a dog who is recovering from ACL knee surgery and is supposed to be managed carefully.  We are visiting at my parents' house.  My husband got up before me and let all the dogs out in the front yard to potty, closed the door, and commenced putting on his shoes.  I said "you're not leaving him out there alone, are you?!!!"  "It'll be fine!"  Well, the invalid and our other male took off, breached some wonky gates and ended up over the bank behind the house trying to attack some critter denned up down there! I was throwing on m clothes and frantically searching for the dogs up and down the street thinking they had gotten out and taken off that way.  Barking helped us locate them.  The invalid ended up with bites on his face, but was otherwise thankfully no worse for wear.  Me on the otherhand - I was thrown into a little wave for the rest of the day.  Felt spacey, thick-headed, tired and a little depressed, slight derealization.  I rallied by dinner-time, thankfully, and feel ok today.  It just doesn't take much to upset the apple cart!

I hope today is better for you!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Well the thing with me is, i dont need any triggers to feel bad. my day was perfectly fine, no real problems... but yet my brain just decided it wanted to be depressed that day. so here we are, my brain literally does whatever it wants.

• Moderator Emeritus

That just sucks!!!  

Well, my brother introduced me to the game Plants vs Zombies that we can play on our smart phones, tablets, computer, etc.  and it's been a hoot, a great distraction!  I'll pretend the zombies are your WD, Spork!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

lol nice

• 3 weeks later...

Hi US. You haven't posted for a bit. I read your thread and I hope you are okay. I have been back on mirt at 30 mg for six weeks and am having a good day and then a horrible day. I know the horrible days make you feel like you didn't have a good day. I wish I didn't taper so fast. I hope I get stable but I don't know if I will or not. Anyway, I hope you are hanging in there.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

things are still up and down. still seeing minimal improvement..... sooo i think this is the best im gonna get. next window i have imma start tapering slowly. thanks for posting :)

U.S.   You have been holding since August 4 , 2015, at 1.5 mg Mirtazapine ?  Is this correct ?     Did you reduce from 1.9mg to 1.6mg in one drop ?  You hit a wall ?  You haven't recovered from this . What are your symptoms now?  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

thats correct, i have gotten better but only alittle bit. i haven't returned to how i was feeling prior to the wall.. somedays i get this feeling like my head is on fire. like i feel veery tense and it feels like my fight or flight response is turned on, it feels like im being pumped with adrenaline. that feeling barely ever happened before the wall. my symptoms now are usually anxiety with that head burning and depression sometimes, every day is just varying degrees of it. sleep still isnt an issue at all, i get nice sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

in a wave again atm, typical fight or flight response being out of whack, just tense and anxious for no reason. alot of neuro emotions, dont seem to have a whole lot of depression nowadays.. just this over hyped flight or flight response.

Hi U.S.    I think the sudden drop you did must be still giving you symptoms, and you need to hold longer.  The cortisol " fight/flight" symptom , although worrying is a typical withdrawal symptom , as the C.N.S. over corrects itself.  Maybe, have a read through this link and you might get some more ideas on how to manage this.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/?hl=+reducing%20+cortisol

The fact that your sleeping isn't an issue , and you are not suffering depression is very encouraging. I would take this as a positive sign of healing.

It's always good to remind yourself of windows and waves pattern of recovery , as well.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Also , after reading this today I think this might help you to stay positive. I found it inspiring. Sometimes , we all need a reminder that this isn't permanent. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1226-recovery-success-stories-from-around-the-web/

I hope this helps. One day at a time, is all we can do.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

thanks for the reply, but i dont think the drop has triggered this. this seems to be just another typical wave that i have been getting for over 5 months now.. the kind i got even while holding. it doesn't feel any different, unless it takes a turn and goes really really bad i think its just a normal wave. i tapered down by 1 mg on jan 13, less than 10%.. i didnt feel anything until around 4 days ago when this wave started, if anything i felt kinda decent after dropping. i always get windows and waves no matter what i do.

thanks for the links ill take a look :)

i will wait this wave out and see what happens. at this point its impossible to tell if its from a reduction or its just a normal wave. either way im gonna wait till im feeling ok again to come to any conclusions.

Hi Sporkey,

Just stopping by to offer you my support.

Keep pushing forward. There is no stopping now !

You have done good so far.

Cheers, Hopefull.

Mirtz is on me! Lol! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

lol, aww thanks hopester! you are doing good aswell :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sporkey,

Long time no hear from you!

:)

How are you doing /feeling?

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hey Spork . Hope you are doing better.   :)    How are your symptoms  & how are you ?

Ali

Last 2 weeks have been not too bad, but today was alittle poopy.. maybe entering a wave again. we shall see! thanks for checking in peoples :o

You are welcome,

Good to hear that you are doing good.

:)

DRUG HISTORY:

hahh dont jinx it lol

I hope I don't! :)

You will be fine!

DRUG HISTORY:

i see from your sig you just tapered again hopester O.O

i know its scary to "rock the boat" but eventually you just have to go for it.

good luck hooooopeSTAR!

Thank you, Sporkey!

I am feeling ok. so far, touch wood! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Glad to hear that my fellow Mirt travelers are doing all  right.    Me too. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

well today was also poop for me, so like i said im probably going into a wave atm. but more or less i am doing better these days, i feel good that im back on track with tapering. mirtzapine blows! lets launch all the mirtazapine into the sun!

I'm sorry you are feeling a wave coming-don't want diminish that.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Moderator Emeritus

well today was also poop for me, so like i said im probably going into a wave atm. but more or less i am doing better these days, i feel good that im back on track with tapering. mirtzapine blows! lets launch all the mirtazapine into the sun!

Agreed - let's do it!

I"m glad you are doing better these days. What taper schedule are you following now, Spork? Are you still holding at 1.5 or have you made a cut?  It's just so mind blowing to think that 1.5 mg of the #$% can have such a huge impact!

i am at 1.3 mg now, i reduced twice by 0.1 mg already.

U.S  You are doing well . As I hope you know , as you get lower , you have to be more careful & vigilant .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

There's also a thread about tapering to zero  - when to drop off, but the link isn't working .  I will get back to you , on that .

Ali

Hi Sporkey and Hibari,

Are you finding that the WDS are becoming less intense?

Like you I don't wanna jinx things, but are you finding that you can cope better with the symptoms?

Sorry for the poopy day, but eventually crappy days will diminish.

When we completely get off the mitrazapine we should have a celebration.

We should have a Skype session, have a glass of wine, and congratulate one another for the hard work and crap that we have endured.

Good idea?

Let me know what you all think.

My mitrazapine buddies hang in there! :) Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

lol yeah sure hopey :P and i really cant pinpoint how i feel nowadays.. every day is different, symptoms are impossible to pin down. i cant tell if im coping better.. or im just not as bad, i dunno. all i can do is take a hunk of time, like a few months and grade the whole thing based on my journal day scores. *shrugs*

Hi Sporkey and Hibari,

Are you finding that the WDS are becoming less intense?

Like you I don't wanna jinx things, but are you finding that you can cope better with the symptoms?

Sorry for the poopy day, but eventually crappy days will diminish.

When we completely get off the mitrazapine we should have a celebration.

We should have a Skype session, have a glass of wine, and congratulate one another for the hard work and crap that we have endured.

Good idea?

Let me know what you all think.

My mitrazapine buddies hang in there! :) Hopefull. :)

My wd is becoming less intense and I'm hoping that will continue as I go lower.  I  am not as scared as I was at the beginning when I was so caught off guard by wd despite what had read.    I can cope much better with the symptoms because they are balanced out of having periods of good days, even weeks during wd.  Is that how it is with you? 

• 1 year later...

Hi Sporkey, 

It has been a while.  How are you doing these days?  I hope things are well with you. 

DRUG HISTORY:

• 3 months later...

Hi UselessSpork, I see it's been over a year since you posted here, but I wanted to share my 2 cents for what it's worth. 

I also reacted to CBD with panic. Any and every type of cannabis has done this to me. You are not alone. We may just be highly sensitive and or intolerance to cannabis. 

As you can see in my signature, I'm also slowly tapering off mirtazipine by about 2% every week. I'm down to 7.8mg as of tonight's cut. I hope you are doing well and feel free to reach out to me if you want.

OFF Paxil 1996-1997 CT, no w/d sxs

OFF Celexa 2002 (6 months) CT, mild and brief w/d sxs

OFF Ativan 1mg-Cold Turkey 2014, WD Syndrome for several weeks despite intermittent use over 9 months rather than daily use.

OFF Lexapro 3 doses only February 2015 (increased depression)

OFF Paxil 3 doses only July 2016 (increased anxiety)

ON Remeron 15mg daily since AUG 2016 for PPD/PPA/PPOCD Tried cutting dose by 1/4 tablet  December 1, 2016, one week of intense withdrawal headaches, reinstated 15mg dose December 8, 2016.

ON bioidentical Progesterone cream 50mg/day originally started for self diagnosed estrogen dominance April 2015, continued use during pregnancy to alleviate hormonal headaches October 2015-July 2016, continued postpartum to help with mood July 2016-present.

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil, Probiotics, Quercetin

Tried Methylfolate Sept 2016 to "potentiate" Remeron - ended up experiencing worsened side effects (mainly irritability bordering on rage) Discontinued after two doses.

BEGAN REMERON TAPER Feb 2 2017 by switching to different manufacturer of tablet mirtazipine (manufacturer that matches my liquid solution). Holding 15mg dose until adjusted. Plan to eventually do half liquid, half tablet (still 15mg), then all liquid (15mg), then .95ml of 15mg per ml liquid (a 5% reduction) depending on how I respond to adjusting from tablet to liquid.

August 2017 9mg liquid mirtazipine, cutting by 2% every week.

July 2018 3mg liquid Mirtazipine,cutting by 2-3% every week.