Castor strange saga; trying to get off seroquel (alive)

Castor

Hi Caster--  I'm sorry to hear that you're back to having trouble.  Tapering 3mg a week, is going to be way too fast and could cause you even more trouble.  Here are some ideas on a better way to do the taper:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Castor

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• Laura1981

Top Posters In This Topic

3mg a week is way less than 10%/month

2006-11: rx-ed klonopin for anxiety from life trauma  

2011: accidentally c/t klonopin....lots of healing but reinstated on 20mg valium 8 months later after alchohol use (stay away from booze!)

-tapered valium over the course of a year  2012: hospitalized for 8 weeks after major s/a bc of failed valium taper and put on Seroquel 350mg xr and multiple drug trials w/SSRIs, mood stabilizers, etc. 2013: multiple hospitalizations and failed drug trials

-tapered all other drugs and "stabilized" on Seroquel xr and started tapering 2014: re-hospitalized after failed taper, added amitryptaline

-bounced around on different doses of Seroquel xr, maximum 600mg 

2015: finally found good doctor and therapist, tapered amilitryptaline to zero

=looking to start taper again from 550mg Seroquel xr but rough somatic symptoms, especially at night

-failed reduction of 12.5mg in late August, updosed back to 600mg seroquel xr, intense somatic sx at night

-starting in november, using compounded capsules to drop 3mg every 5-8 days

Three years ago I was trying to taper valium after a reinstatement and when I reached a low dose too quickly I tried to updose. My brain rejected the updose which led to an extreme paradoxical reaction. i felt I had been poisoned and became acutely suicidal. I was hospitalized and put on Seroquel against my will. 

Now three years later I feel like the same thing is happening with Seroquel-- I am on 600mg XR. I have deteriorated gradually and its seems the drug is becoming toxic. I feel an exposure to it at a visceral level that feels poisonous. It has not reached the level of what happened with the valium 3 years ago but it seems to be approaching that direction. Each of the last three nights I have had "episodes" characterized by sweating, delirium, confusion, muscle stiffness, and s. ideation. I have not reached an acutely suicidal state but am very concerned. 

A friend helped me write this, I would not have been able to do it on my own. Please help with any advice you can. My plan was to start tapering 3mg a week starting Monday but I feel the exposure to the drug may mean I should try to come off much more quickly. I feel like I am running out of time and I need a plan to try to avoid the worst.

2011: accidentally c/t klonopin....lots of healing but reinstated on 20mg valium 8 months later after alchohol use (stay away from booze!)

-tapered valium over the course of a year  2012: hospitalized for 8 weeks after major s/a bc of failed valium taper and put on Seroquel 350mg xr and multiple drug trials w/SSRIs, mood stabilizers, etc. 2013: multiple hospitalizations and failed drug trials

-tapered all other drugs and "stabilized" on Seroquel xr and started tapering 2014: re-hospitalized after failed taper, added amitryptaline

=looking to start taper again from 550mg Seroquel xr but rough somatic symptoms, especially at night

-failed reduction of 12.5mg in late August, updosed back to 600mg seroquel xr, intense somatic sx at night

• Moderator Emeritus

3mg a week is less than the 10% per month but it will be more than 10% as the dose lowers.  The advice here is to cut by no more than 10% of the current dose, so the amount that is cut will be less each month. Side effects are usually dose related and should ease as the dose gets lower. 

I'm sorry to see that you are having these problems again, they can be frightening and hopefully will get better for you as you taper. 

I have moved the topic to your intro thread for continuity as it is specifically about your taper and will get more replies there. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry the posts haven't appeared in the right order Castor, I hope they make sense to you! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I don't think it will get more replies here, but I understand moving it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Castor,

Your own intro/update thread is the place for discussion of your personal situation. All your history and details are here, so any comments or suggestions can take those into consideration.

Your situation is difficult, you are on a very high dose, which is causing adverse effects, but you also need to taper carefully to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

It sounds like you have a good plan and once you start getting your dose lower, I think you will start to feel better. It may take a while, but once you are tapering, you will be going in the right direction. As the dose gets lower you may need to slow down if you find withdrawal symptoms are increasing, but for now, I think making a start is a good idea.

I'm glad you have a friend helping you to stay in touch here.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petunia

Did first 3mg reduction with the new capsules last night.

Despite it being such a tiny reduction, I could feel it when I woke up this morning. It is possible the difference using the compounded capsules made it a larger reduction than 3mg. On edge because of a feeling like my brain (or the nerves around it, more likely) are stretching and tearing.

The top of my head is very tender to the touch, and I'm feeling very dizzy. Otherwise doing ok today. No return of the 'episodes' describe above for 36 hours. Hoping for another episode free night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Castor,

Not sure if you have seen this topic tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine

Just thought it might be helpful.

Edit:  I've just seen it has been suggested before.  This link goes straight to Altostrata's post in the topic.

Good luck.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Third day after tiny 3mg reduction with new capsules. 

Weird stuff- my head feels very full and there is a strange sense of spaciousness. I feel like I can feel the lining of my brain in my skull pulled tight. I feel very out of it and distant. Panic is at bay but very worried that the drug and withdrawal are going to damage my brain. But I also feel like there's no choice but to persist in trying to chip away. 

Is there anywhere on the site that recommends doctors? I am looking for a neurologist. Thank you

Hey Castor,

I'm also currently tapering Seroquel since Nov. 5th 2015, going from 6,25 mg to 5 mg. 20% reduction on such a tiny dose. Have been on Seroquel for 13 yrs. For sleep. It is a terrible drug. Do you have lots of night awakenings while on it? What about appetite and emotional flatness/numbness?

Went through all of your thread. They had no right to put you on a drug against your will, you know that? There is such a thing as Patients Rights...

Wishing you lots of healing,

Mel

1990-1992 Anafranil. OCD under control, extreme social phobia. Hospitalized for the 1st and 2nd time (out of 3). 1999-2002: Prozac 20 mg. Stopped due to severe anxiety. Increased benzo consumption. 2003-2005: AD free (therapy). Feeling good, started working. Persisted 9 yrs in full-time job. 2005-2007: Ixel (milnacipran). SNRI. 2007-2011: Lexapro 10-15 mg. Fatigue and anxiety. Mania. Insomnia. Acne. Shopoholism. Polydrugging with different meds. 2011-2013: Effexor 37,5-150 mg (mostly 75 mg). SNRI. Fatigue and depression, terrible acne with scars, now gone. April 2013: Wellbutrin 150 mg. Hot flashes, extreme appetite, aggression. May 2013 - May 2014: Prozac - from 10 mg to 0 mg, very harsh taper. Functioning great but EXTREME ANXIETY. From May 2014: tried different ADs to replace Prozac, nothing worked, terrible side effects (Seroxat, Zoloft, Luvox, Brintellix, Doxepin, Trazodone). May 2014 back to benzos (Valium) in hope of improvement, aggravated depression and anxiety. Sept. 2014: Lexapro 2,5 mg, highest dose 5 mg for 1,5 months (Spring 2015). Steady decline, anxiety, fatigue. Diagnosed with OCD, dysthymia, social phobia, anxiety disorder, insomnia, eating disorder (first bulimia, then anorexia). Current meds: Seroquel 6,25 mg for sleep - 5 mg since Nov. 5, 2015. Lexapro 1,25 mg since Aug. 4th 2015. Valium, Ambien prn, tapering. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9984-melanie-should-i-reinstate-lexapro/

Hi Mel,

Sorry for delay getting back to you. Nights are very rough for me, lately mornings as well. Lots of fear and strange, scary brain sensations. I have a lot of emotional and cognitive dulling, sometimes very severe, like a stupor. Other times I am more "there" and still feel like my whole self is underneath the drug damage, waiting to heal.

Castor

• 2 weeks later...

No update for awhile so thought I would leave a brief one.

Things are really up and down. On the down side, lots of pain and feeling like my brain is swelling, stretching, and tearing. Sometimes the pain is so bad I shake, feel dizzy and nauseaous. It lasts anywhere from 1-2 hours to 5 hours a day, so some days are much better than others. I feel very brain damaged.

On the up side, I have started tapering 3mg a week using compounded capsules. This is a tiny reduction that adds up to 2% a month, but feels like the most my brain can handle right now. But at least it is something, and I am on day 3 of my third 3mg reduction, ie. 591mg of Seroquel.

Further on the up side, intense symptoms at night, while still there, have diminished to a smaller timeframe. I get a "spasm" of very aberrant thinking, panic, SI, etc. but then it seems to resolve after 20-30 minutes. So I plan to continue tapering at the present rate, with the hope that at a certain point I may be able to pick up the pace a bit.

This is a very hard road, but I'm still alive.

p.s. If anyone is reading this and is familiar with any success/recovery stories of people who were really messed up by anti-psychotics, I would be SO GRATEFUL if you could send them my way. There are not many stories like that out there, but they are like a lifeline for me. thank you

//

Hi Castor. Look at the topic success stories and scroll down and you will find aria's recovery story. There are many recovery stories.Beyondmeds.com has many people's recovery stories. I am recovering from antipsychotic drugs. I have been on many. Now tapering off the antipsychotic geodon and though it is difficult, I am getting through it.

Meimeiquest has recovered from antipsychotic drugs. You will recover.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Thank you Marsha, for the information and for your optimism about my recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

Over the course of 6 weeks I dropped a total of 15mg. First 3mg a week and then a micro taper this past week of .5mg each day. 

This is a tiny reduction, just over 2% a month. But the last few days I've had hours of extreme self-harm sensations that i can't allow to persist. They are not ruminative thoughts by very dramatic sensations in my brain. I already tried to kill myself three years ago, I can't go back there. But tapering is not working.

I don't know anyone else on this high a dose (585mg Seroquel xr) who has hit a wall and simply can't taper. I know it is from my previous benzo damage. I am terrified.

Do I just hold for a long time and pray? The genome test I got recently said I metabolize Seroquel poorly. Do I try another AP that I metabolize better? Seems like a huge risk but what options do I have? I have also read that anti-epileptic drugs might help with repairing kindling...I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions or wisdom would be enormously appreciated right now. Thank you.

Do some people have to hold a very long time (months? A year?) before they can keep going?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I recently read that someone held for 9 months and was able to successfully resume tapering after that. I can't remember who it was though.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Castor?

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

This message has come from Castor's girlfriend.

I am devestated for Castor, his girlfriend and family. I only knew him for a short time....a lovely, caring soul. Rest in peace now. So sorry.

It is with the heaviest heart I have ever held that I give you all this news. Aaron, or Jasper as some of you know him, died this weekend. I know he cared so much about his community here, and about each of you who were in his life. I can answer any questions over a message, and I am also just happy to talk about him or listen to you. Please hang in there, all. I am here for each and every one of you who wants it, and I love you all for the love he had for you. I am so grateful that you were in his life. I hope you can find strength in one another and hold on and on.

-Abby

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

This is so sad. Another tragedy. I don't even know what to say :( RIP Castor. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

NO.....Castor....god...

2000-2010: Paroxetin 20-30mg

2010-2012: Effexor 150mg; ct Effexor in 11/12 and crossed over to Citalopram for 6 weeks (felt awful and ct after 6 weeks). Hell opened its doors. 

Polydrugged 2013-2014: Cymbalta, Amitryptilin, Opipramol, Doxepin, Lyrica, Elontril, Lithium (on and off, got worse and worse)

05/14-08/14: Seroquel 50mg

09/14-12/14 (including 6 weeks taper): Ativan 1mg: I feel like being in acute withdrawal still

current drugs: Lamictal (started in 2014; 100mg)

April 2015 - 95mg, May 2015 - 90mg, June 2015 - 85 mg, July 2015 - 80 mg, August 2015 - CRASHED and hold but never completely stabilized again

October 2018 - 71 mg (have only been able to reduce 10mg in the last 3 years and feel so stuck)

UPDATE: Quit the then last remaining 62mg of Lamictal within 11 days. Last dose was Aug 21, 2019. The drug was killing me and I had a massive reaction, couldn't do a taper anymore. But am still in hell over 3 years later. I am so desperate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh my god, what these drugs do to people.  I didn't get to know him but it is shocking to see his recent posts and then nothing, and he is gone.  This needs to be brought to light for the world to know, that trying to come off these drugs ends in lives lost.  So very sad.  I am so sorry  :(

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for letting us know Muddles. This is such sad news, I'm sorry. I also didn't know him, but having lost one of 'us', is deeply upsetting.

Please hold on everyone, to each other and to hope. We all get better with enough time.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

so sad to read of another lost life here...wasn;t following him but read his thread last night...he was fighting a tough battle.

you wonder how many are dying that we never hear about...it's a crime.   RIP Castor

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Direstraits, I agree it's a crime. I'm in a couple of more groups and forums since my 'Effaccident'. I've learned about the death of 7 people so far. I wonder if we should gather these cases in a thread as a way of remembering people and documenting these iatrogenic deaths for the public to become aware.

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree, Laura.  I feel that these losses slip by without the outrage they are due, with the spotlight being put on the drugs and withdrawal and how it ruins lives.  I'm stupidly watching a show right now called Dr. Feelgood, about deaths of celebrities that were caused by doctors filling scripts or treating them excessively...Michael Jackson, Anna Nicole Smith so far...I think of Robin Williams and wonder if he was in withdrawal from med changes, had Remeron in his system when he died and had a new script for I believe Seroquel...I just know that the drugs were at fault, whether it was withdrawal, drug side effects, tolerance, or a combination of all of them, and yet NO spotlight has been put on his and others' situations.

Castor's passing prompted me to send an email to Frontline suggesting psych drug withdrawal as a possible topic.  I mentioned the loss of Castor and T-Girl, two that I know of since June, but I am sure there are many more.  I'm not sure of how T-girl passed, but Castor was scared due to thoughts of self-harm before he left so I think it is safe to say we know what happened.  

When I see people writing of their despair and there just isn't anything that anyone can write that seems to help, I fear that they will be lost.  So scary :-(

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

SG, great that you sent an email to Frontline. The more we make mainstream media aware of these things the better.

I have written countless emails and letters to all kinds of media. They probably think of me 'she is just a crazy person'. But if they get these letters more regularly, maybe they will wake up to the issue.

It's nuts how the mainstream media has just no clue about this. But sure, if the topic comes up, they will interview an 'expert' (pharma moneybag Psychiatrist) who will swear the drugs are safe.

Alto, in case you are reading this, what do you think about a 'memorial thread' to remember our passed members? It's tricky because I know some people are triggered by this topic. But it would also be so sad for Castor just to disappear in the inactive threads.

• Administrator

Laura, please open a thread in Off-Topic about your suggestion, for discussion by the community.

I'm very sad to see Castor has passed.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto. Thread opened.

Edited by Altostrata
fixed link

Sorry to read of this .

RIP Castor.

Hey SG there was also Mitch in july or june this year too.

hey Laura are you sure that link is working?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 6 months later...

Abby, are you still seeing messages to Castor's thread? I have been meaning to contact you since February. Aaron had become one of my very best friends, and I was wondering if we could talk. I've been grieving his loss, and there is a hole in my life that cannot be filled. I was hoping to find some answers, and to connect with those closest to him. Thank you...mkat71

Misdiagnosed and prescribed antidepressants in 1991, which was followed by more drugs and more incorrect diagnoses.

Prescribed clonazepam in about 2000, which I became addicted to. Went into treatment in 2009, where they got me off too quickly, and I became extremely ill after getting off the gabapentin (prescribed for withdrawal anxiety), and was subsequently put on neuroleptics.

Prescribed Invega in 2010, perphenazine and fluvoxamine in 2011. Went from 12 mg to 3 mg of Invega in 2012, then switched to 2 mg risperidone in 2013 so I could make smaller cuts. (Invega is only available in time-release pills.)

Am currently making cuts of .00390625 mg in risperidone every few days.

Risperidone: ~ 0.5 mg

Perphenazine: 4 mg (2 mg x 2)

Fluvoxamine: NONE