Theon: is it possible to have withdrawal from just 4 months of prozac?

Theon

Theon -

I wanted to check in and see how you are feeling. 

Hello O2bhappy, 

I am feeling a little bit better luckily,,, a bit less anxiety and depression. I am seeing a therapist and I have had to cut stress,,, but I think I am getting better little by little.

Thank you so much for stopping here in my thread O2bhappy :), you are such a nice person.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Theon

• O2bhappy

• clearday

• oskcajga

Top Posters In This Topic

Theon -

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better.  Having less anxiety and depression is wonderful.  I am glad to hear that you are seeing a therapist and I hope that is helping you.  Healing is a slow process from everything that I have read on this forum.  I certainly wish it didn't take so long but I know that brain takes a long time to heal.   

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

I was doing better for a few days but now I feel worse again.. When I feel better I push myself to study and do things and I stress myself out and I think that stress makes me feel worse the following days... pf.. today I was unable to do other thing than watch tv and read a book...  I wonder if I will ever feel well again..

I am hoping that in some months (maybe 5/6) I will be better.. but sometimes it's hard to feel hopeful.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please remember that waves come and they go.  You will have windows of feeling better and those windows will get longer. Hold on!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Theon -

I understand feeling hopeless.  It is hard when you feel bad and have felt bad for so long.  I go through periods where I don't think I can handle this anymore, but somehow I push on.  Just think each morning you wake up it is one more day being off the medicine.  I try to remind myself of that at least once a week.

Hang in there.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I want to post an update.

I think am slowly getting better from the wave that started last July. My main symptom now is brain fog, but it comes and goes, some days it's very bad the whole day, other days it's only bad in the last hours of the day.

As you may know if you have read my thread, when I stopped the prozac, my only symptoms were apathy and asexuality (the prozac made me asexual). The asexuality made me stop wanting to live because I just couldn't conceive a life being asexual (I am only 23 years old male), it was like an important thing about me had been stolen and I just stopped wanting to live, I was suicidal for a whole year (I just stopped wanting to live)

I think that the fact that my attitude (I didn't want to live anymore with pssd, I couldn't accept myself, I was so depressed I stopped trying to be happy) ended up making my withdrawal worse ( it had been mild for a whole year with the only symptom of pssd, and I started to have symptoms of anxiety, depression/brain fog, and some more). 

The point when I started to accept  myself again and the asexuality that prozac caused, I started to get better again (depression/ brain fog and anxiety wise), but it has taken 5 or 6 months to be in a decent point of depression and anxiety...

So if somebody with pssd (asexuality caused by ssri) is reading this,, my advise is to accept your new self, you cannot fight against it as I tried, you will only end up really bad mentally, you cannot fight against yourself. 

Note that when I say pssd, I mean asexuality. The ssri made me stop liking girls, I don't have physical sexual dysfunction, but rather I just don't like girls anymore, I am not attracted no anybody sexually.

• 2 years later...

Hey theon,

How are you doing now?

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Theon: is it possible to have withdrawal from just 4 months of prozac?