Alua

Intrusive repetitive song symptom or ear worms

AbbyElfie

Oh lord, this symptom is annoying lol. I have OCD thoughts pretty much constantly anyway, but having songs from ads or the like replay over and over for days or sometimes a week or more makes me feel like I'm going nuts. It does come and go though, gets very intense during a wave. For 2 weeks now I've been replaying the song from Celebs Go Dating on E4 haha.

trenace

ūüėā I didn't even realise this was a symptom! I've been singing

Charlie Puth - How Long for the past year lmaoo. Its just on repeat I'm either singing or humming it. How long has this been going onn??? Kinda fits I suppose... 

papaloapan

I have also been suffering intensely from this symptom but some days it feels so extreme that it takes away from me all my energy so I end up so tired and it makes  me feel that I do not feel like doing anything.

I really feel that I'm going nuts because it is so annoying and frustrating. There's not even 1 second of silence in my head the whole day, every day, either parts of songs or voices/words/sentences, or things that I'm going to say to a person I'm going to meet soon, but of course all those are involuntary/intrusive.

Some days not even focusing on my breathing during meditation relaxes me. I'm so terrified because of the thought that this will never end.

This symptom is happening to me because I'm taking tramadol which interacts severely with the other 2 drugs I'm taking (pristiq and quetiapine). Also because both tramadol and pristiq are SNRI. It's bad to take more than 1 antidepressant at the same time.

I would love to know any tools that can lessen the intensity of this hellish symptom. 

ChessieCat

I find listening to music helps are talk back radio or similar, eg having the TV on, because it distracts the chatter in my head and gives my brain something to listen to.

VincentV

Oh this has just started to happen to me. Most of my symptoms have eased a  little bit (on balance i think) but this ear worm thing is new and annoying. Its just the same few notes of this little bit of electronic music, going round and round. With my tinitus its quite something. Any advice? 

I guess the whole weirdly altered relationship /connection to music thing makes sense when you consider what 'ecstasy', a serotonergic drug, does to ones appreciation of music. 

I remember, years before sertraline, taking some once and having (other than the dreadful comedown)  awful  ear worms. That and, weirdly, about two months after having s dreaful bout of depersonalisation. For which one dr nearly put me on anti-psychotics (!!!) (fortunately another p-doctor, had a more wait a see approach and just suggested some reading). Its weird how this two month thing keeps cropping up with drugs which effect my serotonin system. 

RandyJames

Does anyone else have songs stuck in your head from morning to night that just keep looping unendingly?  I have had this for awhile now and never thought of it as a symptom.  For a couple of months it's been the same couple of songs and only the chorus of both.  It's so annoying especially when I'm already thinking poorly and I have to contend with the songs "playing" over my thoughts.  I'm not hearing music or anything, just thinking it but can't make it go.  Ugh.

Tweet

Does anyone else have background songs/music going behind their dreams all night? Just constant song or music in the back of your mind while sleeping? Is this really sleep, or is it just light sleep? I wonder if I should count my hours of ‚Äúsleeping with accompanying music‚ÄĚ as actual sleep in my sleep log? My brain is pretty busy serving up tunes all night....

scott4y2hott4y
On 3/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, RandyJames said:

Does anyone else have songs stuck in your head from morning to night that just keep looping unendingly?  I have had this for awhile now and never thought of it as a symptom.  For a couple of months it's been the same couple of songs and only the chorus of both.  It's so annoying especially when I'm already thinking poorly and I have to contend with the songs "playing" over my thoughts.  I'm not hearing music or anything, just thinking it but can't make it go.  Ugh.

Thats exactly the same as what happens to me. 

papaloapan
On 3/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, RandyJames said:

Also that's exactly the same as what happens to me. It is hell, but the good thing is that I already read this whole topic and I also have read the topic of "Intrusive/repetitive thoughts, rumination and increased panic?" and in both people say that it does go away after you stop taking the medications.